22 Aggies players have entered the portal

Tigermike

"The mass exodus continues for Texas A&M football. After an ugly losing season that saw them miss out on bowl game eligibility, numerous Aggies players have rushed for the exits as they enter the transfer portal. Former 5-star wide receiver Chris Marshall became the latest- and 22nd- Texas A&M football player to enter the portal, according to Barrett Sallee of CBS Sports."

LINK

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't see this as a good thing. What's been created is free agency 24/7/365 for college players to shop around for the highest bidder. While I don't know the solution or if there even is a solution under the current rules and laws, what we have is a full blown mess.

I agree 100%. If it has to happen to somebody, there’s nobody more deserving than Jimbo, but something definitely has got to be done. Coaches now not only have to recruit high school kids, they also have to convince their own players to stay. Being able to transfer to any school and not sit out while getting paid a ton of cash for NIL deals has all but neutered a coach’s authority in his program.

• Like 5

On 12/9/2022 at 9:53 AM, Mikey said:

I don't see this as a good thing. What's been created is free agency 24/7/365 for college players to shop around for the highest bidder. While I don't know the solution or if there even is a solution under the current rules and laws, what we have is a full blown mess.

Not only does the coach have to recruit the kid starting in 10th or 11th grade of high school, if he is lucky enough to get the kids commitment and a full season behind them, he has to re recruit the kid at the end of each season. If a player stays 4 full years, you'll have to possibly recruit him 3 more times before he leaves college. 

NIL and the portal aren't bad but they definitely need to put up some guardrails because in it's current state, it's the wild west. Over 1,200 players are currently in the portal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Any thoughts on Bobby Petrino oc'ing for the aggies? Scares me a little bit, they could be pretty good.

Is that who they hired as their OC? I wouldn't trust Petrino if I were Jimbo. Petrino seems like the type that would be scheming a plan on day 1 to cut Jimbo's nuts and hopefully be named HC. He is greasy and always has been in my opinion. He is a hot head to boot. 

I also think the game has somewhat passed him by. I guess we'll find out.

• Like 1

The problem now is that instead of having a love for the school, the coaches, etc, it's all about money. I have no problem with athletes getting some $, but that's what made college and highschool sports a step above professional, the passion, it's gonna be rarer and rarer to find

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

The problem now is that instead of having a love for the school, the coaches, etc, it's all about money. I have no problem with athletes getting some $, but that's what made college and highschool sports a step above professional, the passion, it's gonna be rarer and rarer to find

In addition to that, if you remember the original debate was whether ALL college athletes should receive some compensation only to settle for SOME receiving unbridled amounts of money with others just being apart of the team. 

• Like 2

On 12/9/2022 at 10:53 AM, Mikey said:

Cover 3 podcast was talking about it last week. The way this will calm down will be when NIL collectives start suing players. No one is doing it yet because they don't want the negative press, but once someone does it everyone should follow. You can't technically use NIL to induce a player to sign with a school, but we all know that's just a rule to have on paper. They will start amending these contracts like you have to live within a 20-mile radius of Auburn or something like that in order to receive the money.

We don't need rigid NCAA regulations; this is all contract law/rules at the individual level. NIL donations are all voluntary, but this is turning into a scam. If your NIL keeps losing players, people will stop donating. I'm all for the players making individual decisions on transferring but at the end of the day I don't give a rip about a player having to sit out or not be able to transfer. I pull for Auburn. Players come and go. The school isn't going anywhere.

NIL is great. The portal is great. I don't think having both of them together at the same time is all that great. 

As much as I love to watch Jimbo wiggle, situations like this will be the thing that instigates change.  There needs to be some change because otherwise there is no reason to even make kids go to college and not straight to the free market NFL.  Also schools need to know if they make a bunch of pie in the sky promises to kids they better be able to deliver.  

This will ruin college football, if it hasn't already.  The players were already being paid enough with $250,000 scholarships.

The NIL/bidding problem started years ago with out-of-control spending on coaches.  Paying coaches in AMATEUR sports untold millions set the stage for this NIL debacle.  It was just a matter of time before the players wanted a piece of that.

If you want to clean anything up, you have to first take the money (riches) out of it.  And of course, that will never happen.

I'm afraid we are witnessing the beginning of the end of college football.

But I sure am glad to see this happen to Jimbo.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 9:28 AM, Win4AU said:

As much as I love to watch Jimbo wiggle, situations like this will be the thing that instigates change.  There needs to be some change because otherwise there is no reason to even make kids go to college and not straight to the free market NFL.  Also schools need to know if they make a bunch of pie in the sky promises to kids they better be able to deliver.  

The physical difference between 18 yr olds and mid 20's professional athletes is pretty substantial and I would imagine very few NFL teams would want to upset the apple cart by taking 18 yr olds into the league. They currently have a minor league football league and they do not have to put a single dime into it. The NFL has a great set up at the moment.

• Like 1

NIL and unrestricted portal will ruin college football in 4-5 years or less. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, alexava said:

NIL and unrestricted portal will ruin college football in 4-5 years or less. 

It is definitely the wild west in college now. I have had numerous conversations on what it will look like and my prediction is that it will reflect the NFL in having a salary cap because it will become a bidding war (people wonder how we pay 10+ mill a year for coaches in college). I personally think there needs to be a more organized feeder league (put a feeder team together for every NFL team) similar to the minors in baseball where all of the 4-5 star talent who just want to play football can go. Once the high end players are removed then I believe college player payouts will even out/calm down. It is no fun because watching those uber talented players light it up will become a thing of the past. 

Edited by einatlanta
  • Like 1

Stopping the Unrestricted portal will be the first step to settling things.  After the Supremes said that we can't inhibit what and how players are paid, I don't think you'll be able to do salary caps.

I think ultimately you are going to end up with a Premier soccer league type set up with advancement and relegation.  Let's face it, Troy will never keep up with the aTm's of the world.  I don't see how we will. And the bigger, richer progras will continue to raid the lower tiered programs of any outstanding, developed talent.  

• Thanks 1

I figured when a couple years ago it was supposed to be NAME IMAGE LIKENESS. From companies…who wanted the players to represent them. It wasn’t supposed to be used by the universities and certainly not in recruiting. I knew it would get here but it was faster than I expected. So Milo’s tea deals are over, I guess?

CFB is too big to fail and will be protected accordingly by the powers that be. It will be a very different product, but it will survive this. 

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I figured when a couple years ago it was supposed to be NAME IMAGE LIKENESS. From companies…who wanted the players to represent them. It wasn’t supposed to be used by the universities and certainly not in recruiting. I knew it would get here but it was faster than I expected. So Milo’s tea deals are over, I guess?

Not at all. It still has to appear to be a Milo's Tea deal. It's not, but it has to look like that. Currently I can pay any player I choose $10,000 for a signed photo. Every month a new photo and another $10,000. For his name, image and likeness. It's a sham, but it's within the letter of the law.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

CFB is too big to fail and will be protected accordingly by the powers that be. It will be a very different product, but it will survive this. 

It might not fail but it’s not “ College Football “ anymore. Or will soon cease to look like it. 

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not at all. It still has to appear to be a Milo's Tea deal. It's not, but it has to look like that. Currently I can pay any player I choose $10,000 for a signed photo. Every month a new photo and another $10,000. For his name, image and likeness. It's a sham, but it's within the letter of the law.

I’m just too simple. I guess.