12 years ago

RunInRed

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Went with two of my sons and great trip. Stuck in Denver for two days afterward because Atlanta was iced over. Enjoyed Denver and watched game highlights over and over. 

Toughest part of trip was exiting Atlanta airport. Ice everywhere.

We drove through Atlanta the next day after leaving Braselton...about 25mph.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

We drove through Atlanta the next day after leaving Braselton...about 25mph.

Remember us making back to Atlanta either Thursday or Friday. Had not parked in the garage, at least 1/2 inch of solid ice covered the truck.

• Like 1

Yep. Incredible story. I watched the SECCG with an Auburn letterman. Once the closest moments were approaching, he asked me: "Are you going?"

I think it was the next day I went on Stubhub and bought 4 tickets, one for me, one for my brother, and two for his kids. I called my brother and asked him "If you won tickets to the national championship game, would you take our kids out of school to take them to the game?"

He said yes, so I bought the game tickets. I got Delta tickets to Phoenix with SkyMiles, and two  nights with two rooms at a Hampton in with Hilton points.

We were in a SkyClub in Hartsfield watching the storm front coming, but we made it out on time. I parked my car in the parking deck at Hartsfield on a a lower floor (so we were covered from snow and ice). H had my brother, who lives in Alabama, park his minivan in my garage so it would be safe.

Arizona was great, while the deep south was under ice and snow. We spent the day around the stadium, taking in all of the events.

The morning after, we were one of the few flights into Atlanta to fly on time. In the Phoenix airport, I saw Quentin Riggins waiting for his flight, and talked with him for a few minutes. I told him I thought Rod Bramblett, at times, I thought was channeling the spirit of Jim Fyffe. He said he would tell Rod, because he thought Rod would appreciate that.

We got on the airplane, and the captain came on and said "War Eagle", and that he was an Auburn grad. I turned and looked back at the guy in the Oregon hat on the plane who I saw pass us earlier. He did not appreciate the sentiment in the same way.

There was some concern about Hartsfield being able to accept traffic, and if we canceled, we would need a hotel room. I called, my bosses boss from the airplane on the the taxiway and asked if I could use our company's reservation system to make a hotel reservation. He said yes, and I did, on my phone app. Once we were cleared for takeoff, I cancelled the reservation on my phone app as we started our takeoff roll.

We got back to Hartsfield, where only one runway was operating. We landed on time, and got to my car (a Land Rover). My Land Rover handled the ice and snow on 285 well, back to my house. The cold had wrecked my brother's minivan battery, so we drove to Advanced Auto Parts and bought a new one. We installed it, and his minivan, with much struggle, made it up the hills out of my neighborhood. And he drove back to Alabama with his kids.

Because of the storm, schools in Alabama were closed on Monday and Tuesday, so my brother's kids did not miss any school.

Three years later that Land Rover would help me rescue my new wife and three month old boy during the 2014 "snowmageddon." And strangely enough, Auburn would be back in the BCS National Championship Game.

Here is one of my "Auburn Walls" in my home office. A lot of 2010 in that picture. The SECCG game picture (Christmas gift from my brother), a photo of us at the game and my ticket, and an autographed picture of Kodi Burns catch in the BCS NCG.

To be quite honest, this was one of the best experiences of my life. It was not easy, it was not stress free, but it was magic.

IMG_3724.jpg

Edited by meh130
  • Like 5

I was there. Did a lot of touring around before and after the game. Had great club level seats courtesy of a good Auburn friend. My heart was racing as our last second field goal went through the uprights and killed the Oregon Duck:wedance:

That was a great day.   After the game was over, a group of us old farts that didn't want to leave the stadium congregated in front of the ESPN broadcast desk and just sat there until they made us leave.  We all looked at each other with that knowing look that it had been all our lives waiting for for that day.  

No photo description available.

• Thanks 1

Man what a fun time that was. I was going to school at Auburn during that time. Couldn't have been a better time. I still remember being at my apartment and looking up stuff about our team because we were undefeated and about to play the other undefeated tigers. That's when I found the Auburn Eagle message boards