2024 4* QB Walker White Commits to AU!

gr82b4au

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

No but the point is they have a strong track record with QBs so they aren't some Joe Schmo newbies. Just because they are at new jobs doesn't mean their long history of QB success fades to dust. It carries a lot of initial weight with QB recruits as we saw today. Now they have to keep it going by developing QBs her as they have elsewhere.

THIS!  Saw Bartoo tweet this about our coaching room…..go look at the list of QBs Freeze and especially Montgomery has coached.  Its impressive. 

I cannot remember the last time we any coach…much less three…like this with an actual record on DEVELOPING QBs.  I’m having to dig back to the Tubs/Bowden days to names like Bobby Petrino and Al Borges.  

Edited by GwillMac6

7 hours ago, DAG said:

I agree. I think CHF is a much better coach than Gus. I just want us to be conscious that we still need to produce on the field in a very tough SEC west. The coaches not only will have to recruit their asses off ( they proved it) , they are going to have to also be ready to win some games that they may not be favored in, which is seemingly a good many. I believe we can do it but I am going to enjoy the recruiting success we have and be cautiously optimistic otherwise.

I will say I still question if Freeze can take a program over the top.

I know damn sure he can rebuild programs . 

In Freeze's defense, he hasn't coached at a university with the resources, pedigree and fanfare as AU. When it's all said and done, this will be one of the best redemption stories(for both Freeze and Auburn) in CFB history! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

Wow! I’m so glad the pitchfork crowd that wanted to burn the whole program down if he was hired folks didn’t win out lol. Hugh has drastically changed the program already. What a commitment!

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Recruits WW listed

IMG_3480.jpg

Pretty selfish. He's gonna need to talk to some defensive player too. /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

At least you admit to hating Bird. lol

It's a shame he's from Texas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Pardon my geekdom but it just hit me Walker White backwards is White Walker. They lived in the frozen North beyond the wall in Game of Thrones. So Walker White was destined to play for Freeze. lol

Auburn Twitter, as they do, caught onto this early and have been making White Walker memes for him.

Huge GOT fan so I like the reference. 

WINTER IS COMING 

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Pardon my geekdom but it just hit me Walker White backwards is White Walker. They lived in the frozen North beyond the wall in Game of Thrones. So Walker White was destined to play for Freeze. lol

The North Remembers 

• Love 1

50 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Wow! I’m so glad the pitchfork crowd that wanted to burn the whole program down if he was hired folks didn’t win out lol. Hugh has drastically changed the program already. What a commitment!

This. Some folks can’t forgive. They are coming out of the woods now. Top 5 class in route. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This. Some folks can’t forgive. They are coming out of the woods now. Top 5 class in route. 

Yup…and now all the Freeze hate on social media is coming from our rivals, not from Auburn fans. 

Our haters are back which means we are back 😂

• Love 2

SIAP

Commitment Breakdown: What Auburn is getting in collected 4-star QB Walker White

Cole Pinkston•about 19 hours

Article written by:Cole Pinkston

ColePinkston

Auburn pulled a stunner on Friday grabbing the commitment of four-star quarterback Walker White. Without a doubt, it’s the most clutch recruiting win of the Hugh Freeze era at Auburn.

Auburn missed the boat on a quarterback until the very end of the 2023 cycle: quarterback uncertainty can cause issues in filling out a class. Therefore, the addition of White gives Auburn a strong talent to add to its quarterback room, and adds a lead recruiter to the 2024 recruiting class.

What exactly does White bring to Auburn? How important was it to have a quarterback with his skillset? Here’s everything you need to know about the Tigers’ new quarterback.

The White File

White’s pocket presence is advanced at his current stage. He has the confidence to hold the ball and work around in the pocket as long as needs to. He won’t be afforded that opportunity as often on the next level, but it’s a strong quality to build around.

White is not looking to pull down and run, he’d rather stay active in the pocket and read his progressions. However, he’s got some wheels. He appears to handle the zone read and RPO type plays well. When he gets in open field, he is fast enough to make a big play.

There is some heat behind his throws. He has a tendency to strong arm a throw, meaning he doesn’t go all the way through his throwing motion. His accuracy doesn’t appear to suffer from it for now, but in order to keep touch on all of his throws, that could use some correction.

His accuracy on the deep ball is good for the most part despite a few misses. He doesn’t put much air under the ball sometimes when it needs it. He looks to still be learning how to put trajectory on the ball for specific throws.

Auburn Fit

Evidently, the fit with Hugh Freeze was a key factor in this recruitment. That fit is key in having a relationship and with development down the road.

Specifically with Freeze and Philip Montgomery’s style of offense, White can excel because of his ability to stay calm in any situation. He is active in the pocket, but under control at the same time. His ability to make reads with minimal mistake is of the utmost importance as well.

Football IQ

Back to his pocket presence, White has a great feel for pressure leaking into the pocket. If things completely break down, he usually slips out of the pocket at the last minute. It’s an awareness that isn’t easily taught.

White is quick in his reads. He can hold the ball too long at times, but he is usually locked into his progressions as a result. He can do all of this while keeping his feet hot in the pocket.

SEC readiness

White is physical and mentally on his way to being a talented quarterback in the SEC. He still has his senior season ahead, but shows several traits that translate to big time college football. White also fits the style of Freeze and Montgomery and can allow for the style both coaches are wanting to implement.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

You know, I went on hogville and a few other boards wanting to learn more about WW as a player since he is from there, but the vast majority of the posts were about how Auburn is terrible, filthy, and full of cheaters. I get it that most Ark fans were not happy about him choosing Auburn, but wow. 

I used to read the blog posts on the Atlanta Journal Constitution. You should have seen the hateful stuff there about AU and Cam Newton, or following AU signing Carl Lawson, Derrick Brown or other guys UGA wanted. This isn't unique to Arky or UGA, I think all fan bases have elements that act like this when they lose out on a prospect or lose a game.

For that matter, has bammer ever honestly beaten us out for a player? According to us it's always the REC, Dodge Chargers, The Machine or some other evil entity centered in Tuskaloser.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

White, 6-3, 215 pounds, narrowed his list of scholarship offers to Auburn, Clemson and Baylor before picking the the SEC West school in large part because of Tigers coach Hugh Freeze. 

“Well, first, I think because Auburn chose me,”

This young man's short journey to Auburn is intriguing. He's a young man of faith and it seems that was instrumental in all of this. Hugh is an open book and that's important to a kid like Walker. He's already learned what some people never learn... you shouldn't judge a man by his past. Instead look to where he is heading. Our program is in good hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

This young man's short journey to Auburn is intriguing. He's a young man of faith and it seems that was instrumental in all of this. Hugh is an open book and that's important to a kid like Walker. He's already learned what some people never learn... you shouldn't judge a man by his past. Instead look to where he is heading. Our program is in good hands.

I didn’t realize this until I just read an article, but his coach is Eric Cohu who used to be at Madison Academy.  While Freeze was at OM he recruited Madison Academy when Cohu was the coach during their championship runs so I am sure Cohu knows him fairly well…..that was during the time we were pulling players like Kerryon, Malik Miller, Troxell, etc. out of there.  He also coached Jordan Matthews.   I know Freeze was recruiting Kerryon and I think Troxell as well to OM. 

We also have an QB analyst, Jesse Stone, that is a former LRC QB and was a teammate of Dyer.  

Having some familiarity around the Auburn program might have helped as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

The entire staff there recruited me. Coach Freeze needs to get some sleep at some point. My gosh, he is so competitive.

🥶📈

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes, I have the Red Ryder BB gun, complete with box. Also several hundred baseball cards from 1954-1957. None of them damaged. Grandma ran a tight ship. My buddies pasted their cards into scrap books. I was forced to use art corners so as to not ruin the cards. I was mad at the time but 50 years later, well, thanks Grandma.

You're probably sitting on a well preserved gold mine. Have you ever considered getting some of them Beckett or PSA graded? 

4 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Interesting insights from White about why he chose Auburn. 

White, 6-3, 215 pounds, narrowed his list of scholarship offers to Auburn, Clemson and Baylor before picking the the SEC West school in large part because of Tigers coach Hugh Freeze. 

“Well, first, I think because Auburn chose me,” White said. “One thing I have learned is this is a two-way street. The entire staff there recruited me. Coach Freeze needs to get some sleep at some point. My gosh, he is so competitive. Auburn is a beautiful place with great football tradition.

“My coach at Little Rock Christian had heard if Freeze became the coach at Auburn that I would be the guy he wanted. And sure enough I was the first 2024 he offered. When I took my visit, the entire football staff was out front to greet me. I knew from the second I showed up at Auburn that I was their priority recruit. Then when I stepped on the field at Jordan-Hare (Stadium), I felt something special and knew in my heart, ‘This place is it.’”

I love this!!! Walker's mother also tweeted that the moment her son stepped onto Pat Dye Field at Jordan Hare, he knew he was gonna commit to Auburn. They also said he visited Baylor and Clemson but knew all along he would commit to us.

This just further proves what has always been said about Auburn; if a player is undecided on a school, just get him on campus at Auburn and it will usually take care of itself. Hugh Freeze mentioned it a few times earlier this week that Auburn recruits itself and I truly believe that. This place is special and you just feel the family atmosphere whenever you're in town or on campus. WDE

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

So true. So many people were worried that Hugh's past would sink us on the recruiting trail but it hasn't. As far as I know, and others here have mentioned it, the only time Hugh's past has been brought up publically in recruiting was by Walker White. He said Hugh is straight forward about his past and Walker loved the transparency in Freeze and one of the main reason's he committed was Hugh's redemption story. 

So far Coach Freeze's past hasn't hurt Auburn or recruiting. If anything, it helped us get our biggest recruit for 2024. This fit is perfect in my opinion. Freeze and Auburn needed each other. WDE

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I will say I still question if Freeze can take a program over the top.

Until a couple of months ago, he'd never been at a program that was realistically capable of getting to the top. Doesn't change the legitimacy of your questioning this facet of Freeze's coaching ability, but it's worth noting that he's never had the resources and clout behind him that he does now.

• Like 1