Spring Practice Updates…

toddc

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

My sentiments exactly. There are a lot of players who look really good in practice, but when the lights come and the game pressure comes, they don't look so good (Jeremy Johnson). TJ fit this description last year.

There are also a lot that aren't practice warriors but out play everyone when the lights are on. (Allen Iverson)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There are also a lot that aren't practice warriors but out play everyone when the lights are on. (Allen Iverson)

Absolutely!

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Absolutely!

My guess is that Iverson was not like that when starting out or he would have never made it on the court. Can be that way once you have earned your stripes in the pro ranks.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Bo Jackson

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Heard the same thing last spring. I'll believe it when he's facing a pass rush and doesn't suddently turn into a pick machine. 

I still have to think we don't have our starter on campus yet. 

We'd better not. Lots of things pointing in the right direction for us, if we could just get a QB this could be a fun (not title contender but still fun) season.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

Sounds like Faulk had a big day.  Glad the coaches never gave up on him even when it looked not great last summer.  Jay G is still pretty adamant that McCall will be Auburn's qb next fall.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

here is the only other nugget i have seen.

Battie is a legit homerun threat. He is very shifty and has a great burst. He would have taken a few to the house on friday if they didnt blow the whistle. Nick Mardner will also be a threat on the outside. Had issues catching the ball, but his size just leaps out at you. 6'6" and long arms.

these are from a fellow on the rant and says he was there. he seems to have the attitude that TJ will shock some folks. i say lets wait til the big boys start stalking him.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

here is the only other nugget i have seen.

Battie is a legit homerun threat. He is very shifty and has a great burst. He would have taken a few to the house on friday if they didnt blow the whistle. Nick Mardner will also be a threat on the outside. Had issues catching the ball, but his size just leaps out at you. 6'6" and long arms.

these are from a fellow on the rant and says he was there. he seems to have the attitude that TJ will shock some folks. i say lets wait til the big boys start stalking him.

Let me guess, he's focused and having fun?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lets not use iverson as an example for anything, that POS should have gone to prison for five years for criminally maiming a kid instead of Georgetown.  And the story about his chinese tattoo shows just what an idiot he is.  Now back to football......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

On 3/18/2023 at 11:19 AM, aucom96 said:

Heard the same thing last spring. I'll believe it when he's facing a pass rush and doesn't suddently turn into a pick machine. 

I still have to think we don't have our starter on campus yet. 

you are going to have to tell some guy this on the rant....it was his quote not mine. grins. i kid. i confess i like a great comeback story when everyone counts you out but i also just want a winner.

19 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

My guess is that Iverson was not like that when starting out or he would have never made it on the court. Can be that way once you have earned your stripes in the pro ranks.

Iverson had natural-born skills and skated through highschool and college. He even mentioned it in his documentary. He put in the work on his own time, but the fact that Larry Brown was making him show up to practice and practice hard was unheard of to him because it was never fostered before that in his career. If you look back, basketball wasn't even his primary sport; he loved and was very good at football.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Iverson had natural-born skills and skated through highschool and college. He even mentioned it in his documentary. He put in the work on his own time, but the fact that Larry Brown was making him show up to practice and practice hard was unheard of to him because it was never fostered before that in his career. If you look back, basketball wasn't even his primary sport; he loved and was very good at football.

I grew up in that area.  He was an absurd QB.  Hampton/Newport News area had an absurd run of talent in the 90s....especially at QB.  I watched my Brother's pretty good HS team just get decimated and demoralized by Ronald Curry.  Could you imagine having 1 district, same year, with Mike Vick on one team and Ronald Curry on another?  Two of the greatest athletes/QBs to ever play in VA (nation)

• Like 1

Apparently its not just one person saying that about TJ.  In this scrimmage they ran several, several different passing routes and situations and TJ darn near nailed them all.  

The plot thickens.  

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 11:03 AM, aubiefifty said:

part two................

There's some quotes from people talking about K Faulk. He is having a big spring and has been unblockable at times. He and the Vandy transfer are the top 2 there with no mention of D Brooks.

C Brown is also having a big spring so far and the clear #1 at wr

Like said above TJ is at this point the clear 1 at qb. He's been throwing the ball well and impressed with his ability to fit the ball into tight windows. It's basically 7 on 7 at this point though so well see what happens when he gets a rush and is forced to move a little. He was always accurate last season as long as he was in rhythm. It was when he had to move a little that his footwork broke down and he was consistently off target.

Robbie had a very bad day yesterday. Inaccurate and took back to back sacks in a 7-7 drill.

Geriner was with the 3rd team. Had a couple nice throws but not enough talent around him that far down the depth chart to really do anything

Faulk looking unblockable scares the crap out of me.    There are two sides to every coin.   It a true freshman is showing out on the D line, then there is an O lineman not doing his job.   I'm hoping that Faulk was going against the 2nd or 3rd team.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 9:26 PM, Win4AU said:

Sounds like Faulk had a big day.  Glad the coaches never gave up on him even when it looked not great last summer.  Jay G is still pretty adamant that McCall will be Auburn's qb next fall.

This is what I'm hoping for.   We need a plug-and-play QB like McCall.    Just not sure if the other 3 QB's on our roster would not all transfer if he comes here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alabastertiger said:

Faulk looking unblockable scares the crap out of me.    There are two sides to every coin.   It a true freshman is showing out on the D line, then there is an O lineman not doing his job.   I'm hoping that Faulk was going against the 2nd or 3rd team.

i an hoping today or tonight more info will start coming out again and we will know more than we do. but i have heard the O line is bringing it this year. i will check throughout the day for updates.

4 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

This is what I'm hoping for.   We need a plug-and-play QB like McCall.    Just not sure if the other 3 QB's on our roster would not all transfer if he comes here.

a guy on the rant stated tj had corrected his mechanics and is way more accurate. he could have been trolling as i do not know him. but i will not start getting excited until those qb's of ours face the D. i am excited about camden brown. they say he is showing out and is our number one receiver. again just chat on the rant so take it for what it is worth. bird i believe said he was doing really well. hell i will be excited to see our receivers catch more balls this year.

• Like 2

Others on other podcasts saying the same thing about TJ.  Ran all the different pass configurations and he was nailing most of them.  

Now bringing in McCall for a one and out would be interesting to say the least.  

I doubt Faulk is going against Wade.  Wright said no one has gotten past Wade all spring.  Now he did say Mba is the real deal, as did Jason Jones, said he is very quick and stronger than an ox.  Playing him at strongside end rather than inside and said he is quick enough to stay at end even with his size.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, trinidad tiger said:

Others on other podcasts saying the same thing about TJ.  Ran all the different pass configurations and he was nailing most of them.  

Now bringing in McCall for a one and out would be interesting to say the least.  

I doubt Faulk is going against Wade.  Wright said no one has gotten past Wade all spring.  Now he did say Mba is the real deal, as did Jason Jones, said he is very quick and stronger than an ox.  Playing him at strongside end rather than inside and said he is quick enough to stay at end even with his size.  

We've got a lot of potential on the DL.  Hopefully it can come together this season.  We need a couple guys to emerge and get after the QB.  It's too bad Brooks seems to be a non-factor so far.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 12:39 PM, trinidad tiger said:

Lets not use iverson as an example for anything, that POS should have gone to prison for five years for criminally maiming a kid instead of Georgetown.  And the story about his chinese tattoo shows just what an idiot he is.  Now back to football......

That's ridiculous. The POS kid should have not instigated a fight then want to be a victim because he was jealous of another kid he didn't even know. It's unfortunate that back then especially racist people felt like they can say and do whatever but not suffer any consequences.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2

i used to be a big fan of iverson. here is the truth

IVERSON'S CONVICTION OVERTURNED BY COURT

By Athelia Knight June 21, 1995
6–7 minutes

A three-judge panel of the Virginia Court of Appeals yesterday reversed the 1993 conviction of Georgetown basketball player Allen Iverson on three counts of maiming by mob related to a 1993 fight at a bowling alley in Hampton, Va.

In a six-page opinion, Judge James W. Benton Jr. wrote for the court, "Although the evidence would have been sufficient to prove individual assaultive conduct, it was insufficient to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Iverson acted as part of a mob."

The case against Iverson stemmed from a chair-throwing brawl that erupted after Iverson and another man, Steven W. Forrest, exchanged words at the bowling alley.

At their trial, witnesses said the brawl was triggered by racial slurs. Iverson, then 18 and a student at Bethel High School, and his friends are black. Others who were involved in the brawl are white.

On appeal, Iverson's attorneys argued that the prosecution had failed to prove that a mob existed, as defined by the law, and that even if a mob had formed, the evidence showed that Iverson wasn't part of it.

In yesterday's ruling, Benton wrote that "Iverson's confrontation with Forrest was an incident that may have precipitated a brawl, but was separate from any mob activity. No evidence proved that Iverson was a member of any mob that later formed."

Iverson's attorney, Lisa P. O'Donnell, said: "We are obviously thrilled with the decision. I just got off the phone with his mother {Ann} and she is very excited. {Iverson} is very excited. We all felt confident that ultimately these convictions would be overturned."

Iverson was unavailable for comment.

It was unclear yesterday if the prosecution will pursue further action. The Virginia attorney general has 14 days to decide if the office will ask the full, 10-judge appeals court to rehear the case.

By law, the commonwealth's attorney for Hampton can't appeal the decision, but the prosecutor could bring other charges against Iverson in circuit court, said Mark Miner, a spokesman for the attorney general's office.

"We are reviewing the opinion to determine what our next step, if any, will be," Miner said.

O'Donnell said, "I would hope that the attorney general's office and commonwealth attorney's office would consider the fact that Allen has already spent several months in jail and consider some of the evidence that has come to light since the time of the trial and decide that it wouldn't be in anyone's best interest to pursue this matter any further."

Iverson was convicted of the charges in July 1993 and sentenced in September that same year to five years in prison.

But, in December 1993, four months into his sentence, he was granted conditional clemency from then-Virginia Gov. L. Douglas Wilder, who said conflicting trial testimony shed some doubt on Iverson's guilt.

At Georgetown University, where Iverson enrolled last fall, Coach John Thompson and Georgetown's president, Rev. Leo J. O'Donovan, were elated. "Allen has worked very hard here at Georgetown," said O'Donovan. "I'm convinced that this further justifies the confidence we placed in him."

Thompson said he told Iverson's mother that "this is not a time to gloat. This is a time to be happy. The important thing is for him to move on, put this behind him and do something successful with his life. . . . Sometimes we all make mistakes. What is important is, this mistake has been corrected, and he has a chance to go on with his life."

When he learned of yesterday's ruling, Thompson said the first person he called was O'Donovan.

"More than anybody else, he took an awful lot on his shoulders to give this young man an opportunity," Thompson said. "When the president of an university does what he did, I couldn't call him fast enough to thank him."

Lawrence H. Woodward Jr., another attorney for Iverson, said the appeals court decision means Iverson "no longer has a felony conviction. We will undertake to get his record expunged and hopefully this is the end. I hope that from now on, you won't be hearing anything about Allen needing lawyers. You'll just hear about him being a student and basketball player at Georgetown."

In addition to Iverson, the appeals court also reversed the convictions of two other defendants, Samuel Wynn and Michael Simmons, who also spent four months in jail. Wynn and Simmons also were granted conditional clemency by Wilder and were released about a week after Iverson.

The appeals court does not indicate if rulings are unanimous. There was no dissenting opinion.

Rep. Robert C. "Bobby" Scott (D-Va.), a Hampton Roads area native who has been briefed by the lawyers for all three defendants, said he was pleased with the court decision.

"I would hope that everybody would put this matter behind us and allow these young men to pursue their goals and ambitions," he said. "They have all served time in jail. I don't believe there is any constructive purpose to be served in continuing the prosecution."

The appeals case of a fourth defendant, Melvin Stephens Jr., who didn't spend any time in jail, is still pending.

Iverson, a 6-foot-1 point guard who will be entering his sophomore year, averaged 20.6 points and was voted Big East freshman of the year last season in leading the Hoyas to the NCAA tournament's round of 16 before they were eliminated by North Carolina. Staff writer Mark Maske contributed to this report. CAPTION: Allen Iverson spent four months in jail for conviction on three counts of maiming by mob in his home town of Hampton, Va. CAPTION: After enrolling at Georgetown University last fall, point guard Allen Iverson averaged 20.6 points and was named the Big East Conference's freshman of the year.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's ridiculous. The POS kid should have not instigated a fight then want to be a victim because he was jealous of another kid he didn't even know. It's unfortunate that back then especially racist people felt like they can say and do whatever but not suffer any consequences.

He got acquitted and all charges dropped.  Also BS "maiming" charges brought against him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He got acquitted and all charges dropped.  Also BS "maiming" charges brought against him

i looked up his tattoo's as well. he has 35 and i saw nothing outrageous.