Men vs Texas A&M Game Thread

Maverick.AU

I’ll be a little optimistic and say I feel like these guys have been playing better lately. It may be all in my head but Jaylin seems to be contributing more, KD seems to be better off the bench, Flan seems to be playing better, and Tre seems to be getting more comfortable.  If this was the football team and we saw a bunch of close loses on the road with a bunch of guys returning next year I’d say next year is going to be great.  On the other hand most these guys were major players last year and don’t seem to be as good.  Auburn needs more help from the bench.  Cardwell, Moore, Trahore, and Zep need to provide more offense than they do when they play.  The bench played a huge part in 2019 being as special as it was.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

People keep mistaking pointing out things our coach could do better for wanting him gone, or being unhappy with where he has taken us. But that couldn't be further from the truth. I want us to get better and I want to honestly point out where I believe mistakes were made that held back this team.

U nailed it. The expectation for Auburn basketball isn’t the same as it was back then. CBP has a pretty big sample size of what he needs to be successful at Auburn. Like u said criticism is being confused for some reason. I don’t think anyone has uttered the words that he should be gone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I haven't confused anything as far as criticism of the coach and wanting him gone except for one super critical poster who seems to want him gone. Neither have I confused the coaching ability of those on this forum and the coaching ability of BP. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Did some people on here forget how bad it was with Barbee?

Barbee was the worst coach in the history of Auburn basketball. He isn't the pre-Bruce norm for AU.  Barbee isn't some standard to be referenced as "we're better than the Barbee days". AU basketball has always been better than the Barbee days, except for those few unfortunate years when Barbee was here.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

I haven't confused anything as far as criticism of the coach and wanting him gone except for one super critical poster who seems to want him gone. Neither have I confused the coaching ability of those on this forum and the coaching ability of BP. 

Ah, I see you've decided to go with the argument from authority tactic. We can shut down most of this message board now, guys. No discussing tactics or choices, or pointing out issues, just cheerleading. We aren't as good of coaches as BP, so shut up. This is an old and weak argument. 

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Ah, I see you've decided to go with the argument from authority tactic. We can shut down most of this message board now, guys. No discussing tactics or choices, or pointing out issues, just cheerleading. We aren't as good of coaches as BP, so shut up. This is an old and weak argument. 

I don't have anything against questioning. I'm bothered by someone posting said questions as an authority on the subject and that any one that disagrees or coaches differently is an idiot. If that's a 'tactic' , I wasn't aware I had tactics. I express my opinion, just like you. And yes, I don't think I know more basketball than BP. I'm happy for you if you do. 

You are right about some things. I am old and much weaker than I used to be!

Edited by JuscAUse!

17 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I don't have anything against questioning. I'm bothered by someone posting said questions as an authority on the subject and that any one that disagrees or coaches differently is an idiot. If that's a 'tactic' , I wasn't aware I had tactics. I express my opinion, just like you. And yes, I don't think I know more basketball than BP. I'm happy for you if you do. 

You are right about some things. I am old and much weaker than I used to be!

I don't think it benefits the board to turn this into a long back and forth. So I'll just say that I've seen posts by you that do what you're implying others do. It seems to me that you're just angered by those who criticize some of BP's choices and want those individuals to shut up.

And I'm sorry, that's not going to happen. I judge all AU coaches on an even basis, whether they're Harsin or Bruce Pearl. I don't need to be a 'better coach' than BP to see the current results on the court every week. We're a mediocre team at best. BP made mistakes when building this team. Here's to hoping he doesn't repeat them.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I don't think it benefits the board to turn this into a long back and forth. So I'll just say that I've seen posts by you that do what you're implying others do. It seems to me that you're just angered by those who criticize some of BP's choices and want those individuals to shut up.

And I'm sorry, that's not going to happen. I judge all AU coaches on an even basis, whether they're Harsin or Bruce Pearl. I don't need to be a 'better coach' than BP to see the current results on the court every week. We're a mediocre team at best. BP made mistakes when building this team. Here's to hoping he doesn't repeat them.

You're correct about the long term arguments, and I suppose you are correct that I am defensive about BP. That comes from being a lifelong AU basketball fan, and all that entails. For the most part of six decades, AU has been pathetic on the court, and I agonized with the few fans that even bothered to listen to games on the radio, and watch on network television. Now we're in the national conversation every year and I believe it is because of our current coach. I just hope people realize where our program was and where it is now. 

Anyway, to each his own and I'm sure we agree on this last point

War Eagle! 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

You're correct about the long term arguments, and I suppose you are correct that I am defensive about BP. That comes from being a lifelong AU basketball fan, and all that entails. For the most part of six decades, AU has been pathetic on the court, and I agonized with the few fans that even bothered to listen to games on the radio, and on network television. Now we're in the national conversation every year and I believe it is because of our current coach. I just hope people realize where our program was and where it is now. 

Anyway, to each his own and I'm sure we agree on this last point

War Eagle! 

BP is solely responsible for bringing Auburn basketball back, and truthfully, to new heights. You'll find no disagreement from me. I'm the worst type of fan that coaches probably hate (the never quite happy kind). I have seen what BP has done and what he is capable of at Auburn, and he didn't hit the mark this year (or even last year with the talent he had at 4 and 5). I believe it to be more beneficial and interesting to discuss why that is and what he can do to avoid that in the future, but some fans disagree with that approach. That's fine. It's a discussion board for a reason.

• Like 1