Men vs Texas A&M Game Thread

Maverick.AU

18 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Other than the dunk what did Cardwell do? Committed 4 fouls. 

Three offensive rebounds in a row with kick outs. Altered shots and got a steal. Yeah his FT game is unproductive. Why complain about him? He is what we got right now.  Let’s get behind him!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Offer a lifetime contract to a HC and no one should question his decision making.  😶

Sure, there are a few things you can blame on coaching.  Our guys are getting looks at the basket.  Just no one can make them.  Westry out hurts a ton from our shooting perspective- so I'm told.  And Traore was highly acclaimed.

Just hasn't been our year.

• Like 1

Disappointing but not surprising. This team is just not that good. Many reasons for this. 

We need to remember. Players like Jabari, Kess, and Shariff are difficult to replace and it’s unfair to expect transfers to come in and fill those shoes. I think we hoped some of the current roster (Jaylin, Wendell, Flan)  would raise their game but they either haven’t or are have hit their ceiling in  production. 

It’s a bummer and not what we have been use to but let’s hope we steal a couple of unexpected wins and continue to grow up 

aTm matches up well with us. And that’s a bad thing when they can score like they do against us. 
I thought we scored a lot better tonight. But our strength, defense, just looks like Superman vs kryptonite against aTm. 
We aren’t a bad team, just not an elite team. 
Hopefully we can win a few more and at least limp into the dance. 

If we are lucky, help is on the way next season. 

This aint the year. Not sure what's so upsetting about it. We're a dollar short (no pun) at every single position across the board, yet still every opponent needs huge officiating help to squeek by us in their own gyms. 

• Like 2

The refs could have saved everybody a lot of trouble, sweat and tension. Just award A&M 20 free throws before the game starts. If they make 16, declare the game over and A&M wins by 16-0. That's about what happened anyway but my way would have been a whole lot more simple.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Got anything positive to spin?

Yes actually. We made 7 more shots than tamu. Had more assists and 3 pointers than them. Had less turnovers than them. They had 4 more rebounds than us. It’s almost like the 39 to 14 disparity  in free throw attempts was the difference….

• Like 3

I love this team’s fight at times but also for a team that can’t afford sloppy play and turnovers and silly mistakes it’s difficult watching these issues not be addressed. Best of luck the rest of the way 

7 hours ago, Hopsing said:

At this pace we may be lucky to limp into March madness 

Will we make the tourney? We have seven losses and still have two games versus Bama, one vs Ky and one vs TN. If we lose all I would think that puts us in bubble territory, not to mention games left besides those. As I’ve said most of the season, we currently have no pure shooters. Rough year. Hope the new commits are shooters. 

Wendell played terrific all game until the clock hit 1 minute to go. Then he got ripped trying to break someone down, almost had another turnover the very next time he touched the ball without a defender doing anything to cause it, and then threw up a damn AIRBALL to seal it. I have never seen a guard crumble so drastically in crunch time so consistently as Green. When the moment gets big Wendell doesn't just fail to make the right play he continuously looks like he is flustered and lost on the floor. Maybe my standards for PG play are high but that's just unacceptable from your starting PG IMO. I was glad to see Tre close the first half and personally would start thinking hard about using him in crunch time because Wendell has proven time and time again that he is going to make the wrong play.

But I must say we are not in position to have a shot at this game without Wendell's performance the first 39 minutes of the game. Just a total bummer how it shook out. 

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see alot of people say it's not on the coaches, we just don't have the players to get it done this year. That's true, but people keep absolving BP of the responsibility to get the players he needs, or making an excuse that he lost too many to replace. Somehow this is an expectation on the football side, and at other good basketball schools, but not for Bruce?

This year is still the result of a coaching failure, just maybe not X's and O's failure. We didn't pull in a single guard transfer, and anyone who watched our team last year knew we needed to. BP will have a chance to address this in the transfer portal this year, and has started to address it in his HS recruiting, so we will see where it goes, but this team could have been better had BP taken a few more steps that he chose not to make.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We lost our last 3 road games by a combined 11 points. All to teams who will be in the ncaa tournament. It’s hard as hell to win on the road vs quality competition with our more talented teams. Let alone this team that is clearly lacking in talent. Our coaches are coaching their asses off to put us in position to win but we don’t have the horses to get over the hump on the road yet Vs the better teams in our schedule. This is Bruce and staff best coaching job to me because of the obvious deficiencies. 

image.gif

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We lost our last 3 road games by a combined 11 points. All to teams who will be in the ncaa tournament. It’s hard as hell to win on the road vs quality competition with our more talented teams. Let alone this team that is clearly lacking in talent. Our coaches are coaching their asses off to put us in position to win but we don’t have the horses to get over the hump on the road yet Vs the better teams in our schedule. This is Bruce and staff best coaching job to me because of the obvious deficiencies. 

Since the west coast trip the change has been obvious to me. Now who changed, I have no idea?

Either the coaches have been doing more or better. 

Or the players finally realized they needed to buy into what the coaches have been preaching all along.  

Regardless, I think you are spot on with your assessment of the coaching job!!  Especially, since we went out west. To be more specific, our second game out west is when the change began!!  It has progressed ever since!!

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes actually. We made 7 more shots than tamu. Had more assists and 3 pointers than them. Had less turnovers than them. They had 4 more rebounds than us. It’s almost like the 39 to 14 disparity  in free throw attempts was the difference….

It was bad!!! I kept justifying the calls by telling myself well we got some bad calls too. Which I recall Wendell benefitting from some….But WOW 39-14 paints a different picture!!  Of course, missing front ends of 1&1s 🤬 plays a part in that number. But still. That is absurd!!

• Thanks 1

I love Wendell but he doesn't need to take the last shot. He won't get an open look unless it's 35 ft. He will probably get fouled, but it won't be called on the road. We badly need a couple of shooters with some length. I know Jabari Smiths are hard to find.

Did some people on here forget how bad it was with Barbee?  Auburn is light years ahead of where we were before Bruce came on board.  Light years.  A few losses to good teams on the road and we complaining about coaching?  Huh?  Get real!  

16 hours ago, jAUSon said:

This aint the year. Not sure what's so upsetting about it. We're a dollar short (no pun) at every single position across the board, yet still every opponent needs huge officiating help to squeek by us in their own gyms. 

Yep. This is not a good team, and it’s not a sorry team. It just exists 

There’s probably a few guys we whiffed on we would’ve liked to get in recruiting, and hopefully that caliber of guys are available in the transfer portal this time around. The foundation of a contender is there, but you just got too many guys in a spot or two higher than they should be

• Like 1

I think it’s important to be able to find fun without being elite. It’s hard for me most nights (this season) too, but I try to just stash away little positives and not get too mad about what can’t be controlled 

That’s why I’ve toned down the whining as the season progressed. I’ll still point out things in a critique-y, but I just don’t think there’s anything realistic that can be done at this point to make this what it’s not 

28 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Did some people on here forget how bad it was with Barbee?  Auburn is light years ahead of where we were before Bruce came on board.  Light years.  A few losses to good teams on the road and we complaining about coaching?  Huh?  Get real!  

People keep mistaking pointing out things our coach could do better for wanting him gone, or being unhappy with where he has taken us. But that couldn't be further from the truth. I want us to get better and I want to honestly point out where I believe mistakes were made that held back this team.

• Love 1