Men vs Vanderbilt Game Thread

Maverick.AU

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I think the point is, a few things go our way and people are singing a different tune bc we are winning ball games.  We shoot a little better against usc, A&M, Alabama and TN, even just fractionally better and people are acting way differently. 

But thats the point. We didn't have things go our way we because we had poor guard play because we are mediocre. We can play the what if game all day long but it doesn't change what this team is.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I didn't watch the game laser focused with the All Star weekend also being on, but the spots that Jaylin were killing it from in the first half are the same spots that Broome operates in. When you have this Jaylin, it's pretty much counter-intuitive to have both in, as it'll just clog the spacing. 

That's in part why the narrative was that Jaylin would need to be the perimeter version of himself, to both optimize the team and Broome. I don't think it's really been a problem, having the two in together, but I do think Bruce tried to play the hot hand and stagger their minutes a bit at time. The fouling probably made that harder than he would've liked also 

09F4AABE-BDB8-4723-8C97-42EF4811FD4F.gif

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

But thats the point. We didn't have things go our way we because we had poor guard play because we are mediocre. We can play the what if game all day long but it doesn't change what this team is.

What this team is is ranked as one of the unluckiest teams in Ken Pom (236) . Yes they actually have a luck ranking! 😂😂.  The fact we didn’t pull out ANY of our close games since the Florida sec opener is a statistical anomaly. Way worse teams than us would have won at least 1 or 2 of the West Virginia, Tennessee, TAMU, bama and vandy games. In comparison (because this team with their style of play has always reminded me of the 19/20 team) our 19/20 team which was built similar to this with little outside shooting and won on defense was top 10 in Ken poms luck ranking that season. We won a slew of close games.

There is a razor thin margin with all of our losses lately. We are close. So close. Literally a possession or two away from getting over that never ending hump. We may never even actually get over it this season but the absolute lunatic like overreactions from some of our fans is uncalled for and unwarranted. People are acting like we have been losing to these teams like how mizzou lost to us. This team has obvious deficiencies talent and skill related and is leaving it all out there. They are getting more out of their talent than they probaly should this season.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I think the point is, a few things go our way and people are singing a different tune bc we are winning ball games.  We shoot a little better against usc, A&M, Alabama and TN, even just fractionally better and people are acting way differently. 

Thank you fam. It is crazy how thin the line is for a lot of peoples moods being a lot different in here. I appreciate you being rational and not going crazy NEGA barner and being super emotional like a lot of folks are acting on here. Idk what to tell them. We just are cursed and snake bit in close games this year. No other way to put it or explain it. I just hate getting on here and seeing so much negative crap. It bums me out. Like this team isn’t very talented. They are getting everything out of what they have to work with. It’s why I think it is one of the coaching staffs better coaching jobs. I think we have a much better record than our talent level would dictate. We have no stars and a team of all role players.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Outside of Broome, this roster is loaded with role players. Too many guys taking up too many schollys that do not contribute, offensively at least. Outside of a Mizzou game which is clearly the outlier, this is rinse and repeat almost every time. Clearly it’s the roster makeup and it’s not gonna change until Bruce makes a couple key roster moves. 

Georgia and mizzou home games are what our ceiling is if we keep playing good defense like we usually do but also hit shots. But we are only capable of doing that at Neville we will never with this team look that good away from Neville. That’s just how college basketball works. On the road you win ugly. We def got the ugly part right just barely missed out on the win.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, woodford said:

They’re just an above average basketball team. Nothing special. Their energy is entertaining and Bruce can get a lot out of them but at the end of the day they’re nothing to write home about. They can’t really score or finish games. 

This list needs to be pinned to the top of any game thread. This is the most accurate depiction of our team this year that I’ve seen.

• Thanks 1

Our luck ranking in Ken Pom after yet another unlucky loss dropped us to 306 out of a possible 363 teams. What does this all mean? We are a statistical anomaly and have been extremely unfortunate with all our close losses this season. 

706AD63B-2D7E-484A-8179-7A2EA4B7873A.png

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

After the Mizzery game, I asked if Auburn could win any more games this season. The answer I received was, yes, Vandy and Ole Miss.

Welp, nope.

• Sad 1

Out PG play is so frustrating. Go right, get cut off, go left get cut off, dribble backwards 10-15 feet, and repeat. I hope this team can get to 20 wins and make it to the tourney. They play hard but the talent level is down from the last 3 or 4 years. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Our luck ranking in Ken Pom after yet another unlucky loss dropped us to 306 out of a possible 363 teams. What does this all mean? We are a statistical anomaly and have been extremely unfortunate with all our close losses this season. 

706AD63B-2D7E-484A-8179-7A2EA4B7873A.png

You can point to a luck rating to explain why Auburn loses so many of these types of games if that makes you feel better man. But at the end of the day if you watch this team, you don't need some fancy computer poll to break down some mysterious luck rating to figure it out. Last night we needed a lucky three from KD to even be in the position to be unlucky.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Thank you fam. It is crazy how thin the line is for a lot of peoples moods being a lot different in here. I appreciate you being rational and not going crazy NEGA barner and being super emotional like a lot of folks are acting on here. Idk what to tell them. We just are cursed and snake bit in close games this year. No other way to put it or explain it. I just hate getting on here and seeing so much negative crap. It bums me out. Like this team isn’t very talented. They are getting everything out of what they have to work with. It’s why I think it is one of the coaching staffs better coaching jobs. I think we have a much better record than our talent level would dictate. We have no stars and a team of all role players.

I think some people are being realistic with the product we have. In fact alot of people are saying they aren't getting mad watching these games anymore, so less emotional. You've been sunshine pumping for this team hard.

This team works hard. They're not that good. I think most people agree.

• Like 3

Anybody that watches these games knows luck has nothing to do with it. We don't have the skill/talent to do what's necessary to win a game that's close in the last two minutes.

Our best hope is that the guys who are currently committed to Auburn stick with AU and sign here. It's going to be a rough road until some personnel upgrades arrive on campus.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

They are getting more out of their talent than they probaly should this season.

Understatement of the year!

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That’s just how college basketball works. On the road you win ugly. We def got the ugly part right just barely missed out on the win.

Do we win those close games at a neutral site?

Edited by CCTAU

41 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Anybody that watches these games knows luck has nothing to do with it. We don't have the skill/talent to do what's necessary to win a game that's close in the last two minutes.

Our best hope is that the guys who are currently committed to Auburn stick with AU and sign here. It's going to be a rough road until some personnel upgrades arrive on campus.

That's not for 2 more yrs... Only have 1 HS player signed for next yr

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Understatement of the year!

Do we win those close games at a neutral site?

Yes but we have a lack of talent because of coaching decisions. It's kind of catch 22

4 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Yes but we have a lack of talent because of coaching decisions. It's kind of catch 22

Think about it.. We start a transfer from College of Charleston. A transfer from Eastern KY. A transfer from Morehead St, who is the best player on the team. A back up center with absolutely zero offensive game .. We have the roster of a mid major... Where is the recruiting and development of HS players?

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, alexava said:

We are not what we hoped we were. It’s that simple. We don’t have shooters. You need shooters. 

We also need to actually take shots to hit them. This team has so many critical possessions where they don't even get a shot off. Fouls, and turnovers are unbelievable at important moments in the game. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I absolutely agree.  We know we have some deficiencies and that isn't going to change this year.  I understand the disappointment but I can't understand the constant negativity and rehashing the same talking points game after game.  We KNOW we have deficiencies.  We also know Bruce Pearl is one of the best coaches in the country.  We are a good basketball team even with those issues.   We have been unlucky (if that's even a thing) in some of these close games.  Several we should have won. 

8-9 years ago we were lucky to even make the tournament, now people are jumping off cliffs because this team may be a little short on the talent we have been accustomed too over recent years.   Question, where were those same people during the Barbee years? Most of these people complaining now didn't even visit the basketball forum back then.  @Maverick.AU You and I were here though. 

Accept this team for what they are and quit rehashing the same stuff every thread.  This is a good basketball team that works their asses off every day that has just fallen short of what we as fans would like to see.    I have every bit of confidence that Bruce Pearl will go out and get some players from the portal that will address the issues we have had the last 2 years.    This  season may not be what we all wanted, but its a far cry from where we were before Pearl got here.  The future is very bright.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I absolutely agree.  We know we have some deficiencies and that isn't going to change this year.  I understand the disappointment but I can't understand the constant negativity and rehashing the same talking points game after game.  We KNOW we have deficiencies.  We also know Bruce Pearl is one of the best coaches in the country.  We are a good basketball team even with those issues.   We have been unlucky (if that's even a thing) in some of these close games.  Several we should have won. 

8-9 years ago we were lucky to even make the tournament, now people are jumping off cliffs because this team may be a little short on the talent we have been accustomed too over recent years.   Question, where were those same people during the Barbee years? Most of these people complaining now didn't even visit the basketball forum back then.  @Maverick.AU You and I were here though. 

Accept this team for what they are and quit rehashing the same stuff every thread.  This is a good basketball team that works their asses off every day that has just fallen short of what we as fans would like to see.    I have every bit of confidence that Bruce Pearl will go out and get some players from the portal that will address the issues we have had the last 2 years.    This  season may not be what we all wanted, but its a far cry from where we were before Pearl got here.  The future is very bright.

I think some points get rehashed because some people refuse to acknowledge they exist or why they exist (thats because of decisions Bruce made). There's a group of people that just want us to be happy regardless of outcome on the court and stop pointing out our deficiencies and never criticize Bruce. It's not wrong to want more from BP and this team because of our past. It's a compliment to where many of us see the potential of the program because of Bruce.

And I've been watching Auburn basketball since the Ellis days. Any earlier than that and I was five.

• Like 4

We are not good enough to close out close games away from home. When the game is tight, we don't have the offense to really execute the game plan... Talent or tenacity. We also make crucial mistakes or near crucial. It's a mediocre team with mediocre talent. We also have guys that do contribute in the offensive side at all. That's not a formula for success. Next year will be slightly better but probably same cast of characters. 

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

We are not good enough to close out close games away from home. When the game is tight, we don't have the offense to really execute the game plan... Talent or tenacity. We also make crucial mistakes or near crucial. It's a mediocre team with mediocre talent. We also have guys that do contribute in the offensive side at all. That's not a formula for success. Next year will be slightly better but probably same cast of characters. 

I'm hearing we could have anywhere from 5-7 slots to fill. So that gives me hope you're going to see a near full roster turnover save maybe Broome and Green.

I feel like Zep should be more of a poster boy for Bruce sticking to favorites/certain skills than Flanigan honestly. Zep doesn’t make loud mistakes, but he honestly isn’t as valuable a defender as Flanigan and just doesn’t do anything for you on offense. There’s a point in this season where I much rather would’ve given his reps to see what Westry (at the 2) or Tre as a starter would’ve looked like. I think we would’ve been much better for it at this point