Three 3rd graders, three adults killed by shooter at Nashville elementary school

TitanTiger

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Incorrect; abortion is the leading cause of death in children..

This is hilarious considering the narrative you posed that guns are the leading cause of death in children.

We all have our narrative don’t we?

?

Guns are the common denominator in these cases. That’s a fact. And it’s a fact that shootings are now the leading cause for deaths of children. What narrative is that?

I was talking about the narrative as being fixated on the shooter being transgender as opposed to yet another school shooting. That’s all. It’s that simple. Don’t get it twisted.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Apparently not and I think that should be required in today's times at any school where kids are.

So all public schools should be required to have a security guard? Just one, or more? What weapons are they allowed to have? Will they be provided with body armor? Who pays for it?

13 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

So all public schools should be required to have a security guard? Just one, or more? What weapons are they allowed to have? Will they be provided with body armor? Who pays for it?

I watched an interview this morning with a retired NYPD officer. He commented on the lack of security at private schools. He pointed out that they could have one or two retired police people providing visible security for little or no money. It sure wouldn't hurt.

Much has been posted here about school shootings and the assumption that GOP/conservatives are the villains opposing more stringent gun control.  Question......if the Nasville church where kids were just killed put it to a vote, do you think they would support more strict gun control?

Edited by Son of A Tiger

23 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

I watched an interview this morning with a retired NYPD officer. He commented on the lack of security at private schools. He pointed out that they could have one or two retired police people providing visible security for little or no money. It sure wouldn't hurt.

Well, first of all, I said public schools. However, even with private, there are more than 30,000 schools in the US, so if you want two at each school, that's at least 60,000 retired officers. Then you have to equip them, and possibly give them health insurance. Insurance for the school may go up if you're going to have weapons there. Are two needed on duty at all times during school hours? If so, then you have to hire more officers to cover absences, vacations, PTO, etc. 

This school only had 200 students. How much would the cost of two security guards impact tuition?

Apply this to public schools and you quickly see the problem. Are you going to be able to find enough retired officers to fill all those gaps? Even if you do, that's still a huge expense. Would you be willing to pay more in taxes to pay for that expense?

3 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Much has been posted here about school shootings and the assumption that GOP/conservatives are the villains opposing more stringent gun control.  Question......if the Nasville church where kids were just killed put it to a vote, do you think they would support more strict gun control?

Probably not, but I'd be willing to bet the vote would be much closer now than before the shooting.

• Like 1

Just now, Leftfield said:

Probably not, but I'd be willing to bet the vote would be much closer now than before the shooting.

That's my point. This church is a PCA which is conservative. And if you read through this thread many are saying that it is conservative who are the problem.

4 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

That's my point. This church is a PCA which is conservative. And if you read through this thread many are saying that it is conservative who are the problem.

How does a mass shooter choosing a conservative school as a target mean conservatives hardcore gun rights advocates aren't the problem?

Edited to show I don't think all conservatives are the problem.

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 2

Just now, Leftfield said:

How does a mass shooter choosing a conservative school as a target mean conservatives aren't the problem?

This church is a PCA, a CONSERVATIVE Presbyterian church. You just said that they probably wouldn't vote for stricter gun controls even now. So are you saying that these very people are a problem?

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Son of A Tiger said:

This church is a PCA, a CONSERVATIVE Presbyterian church. You just said that they probably wouldn't vote for stricter gun controls even now. So are you saying that these very people are a problem?

I just want to make sure I'm following you here.....are you saying that if the majority of parents at this school are hardcore 2nd Amendment, they have to be correct because their school was targeted by a mass shooter?

2 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

I just want to make sure I'm following you here.....are you saying that if the majority of parents at this school are hardcore 2nd Amendment, they have to be correct because their school was targeted by a mass shooter?

No I'm just saying that conservatives aren't the evil people some here would blame all this kind of stuff on.

Just now, Son of A Tiger said:

No I'm just saying that conservatives aren't the evil people some here would blame all this kind of stuff on.

Conservatives aren't intentionally being "evil" or wanting Children or innocents to die.

But Conservative politics, politicians, and policies are 100% controlled and influenced by the Gun lobby, by weapon manufacturers, by the NRA. And Conservatives 100% block common sense gun reforms and and regulations that could put us as a country back on a path where mass shootings become the rarity they once were. 

• Like 5

Just now, Son of A Tiger said:

I don't think (most) extreme gun rights advocates are evil, just misguided. However, even if they were, I still don't see why that would make them immune to a school shooting.

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Conservatives aren't intentionally being "evil" or wanting Children or innocents to die.

But Conservative politics, politicians, and policies are 100% controlled and influenced by the Gun lobby, by weapon manufacturers, by the NRA. And Conservatives 100% block common sense gun reforms and and regulations that could put us as a country back on a path where mass shootings become the rarity they once were. 

Guess we will just disagree and leave it at that.

1 minute ago, Leftfield said:

I don't think (most) extreme gun rights advocates are evil, just misguided. However, even if they were, I still don't see why that would make them immune to a school shooting.

I think we are talking past each other so I'll just move on. But FYI, I wasn't pointing the finger at you,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/03/28/conservatives-guns-nashville-debate/

On Guns, Conservatives are Winning: This Nightmare is the Result. 

(.....)

Because of the Bruen case the Supreme Court decided last year, in which the conservative majority declared any contemporary restrictions on guns are unconstitutional if they don’t have a direct analogue to laws passed in the 18th century, state laws are being struck down left and right.

Republican-run states are rushing to remove even the mildest restrictions on gun ownership. Tennessee, the site of the latest school massacre, already had some of the loosest gun laws in the country. Now Republican lawmakers there are moving through the legislature a bill to lower the age for carrying a gun in public from 21 to 18.

Estimates for the number of guns in circulation in the United States vary, some as low as 352 million and some as high as 434 million. What no one disputes is that the total number is staggering, and it has dramatically increased in recent years. As far as conservatives are concerned, this is an enormously positive development for American society.

But it’s important to separate what conservatives do and don’t say about the gun-saturated nation they created. They put a great value on the freedom they associate with gun ownership and would undoubtedly argue that the United States is more free today than it was a decade ago because of loosened gun laws. They celebrate the states where guns are least hindered as the freest places in the country.

What they don’t say is that all of us are safer. They believe the freedom to own guns is more important than the freedom not to be terrorized by the presence of guns and that the trade off in lives lost has been worth it.

They don’t deny the carnage; just three months into the year, 10,000 Americans have been killed with guns — roughly 4,200 homicides and 5,700 suicides. Nor do they deny the state of terror Americans feel about sending their children to school or just going to the grocery store. You won’t hear conservatives tell you that you have nothing to be afraid of.

Instead, conservatives say that our gun violence problem has little, if anything, to do with guns and can be solved with measures that have little to do with guns either. We can improve mental health services or address the vulnerability of side doors in schools.

Or, of course, we can just get more guns. The implication is that there’s a kind of “Laffer curve” of mass slaughter whose benefits are waiting to be enjoyed. After a certain inflection point of firearm ubiquity, the number of murders will reverse course and rapidly head toward zero.

Conservatives don’t articulate it precisely that way. They say, “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” or claim that even more guns will bring down crime. But the implication is the same: We are gripped by terror now, but there is a road to safety ahead of us, and it’s paved with yet more guns.

Those claims are ludicrous, as even many gun owners would admit. But they give gun advocates something to say when the news is covered with stories of elementary school students gunned down with the instruments of mayhem Republican members of Congress pin on their lapels and pose with in their Christmas cards.

They wear triumphant smiles in those pictures, and they have indeed triumphed. Our terror is their achievement.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

You may not, but you thanked @AUDynastyfor his comment about how narratives were built as long it sided with your thoughts.  Which is it?  You don’t care until the narrative is built or it depends on what narrative is built?

I don’t expect you to answer.  The narrative will be built no matter if you don’t see the relevance or not.

I was thanking him for answering my question.

• Like 1