Three 3rd graders, three adults killed by shooter at Nashville elementary school

TitanTiger

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

You can't possibly be naive enough to think that all conservative minded people are ok with this because that is what you are implying. I don't want assault rifles out there either but I do know they won't magically disappear if they are outlawed. It would be great if they would but it's not happening.

Just 98% of you.  By your actions.  

Talk is cheap. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 4

A sad note to place all this bickering into context. The pastor of the church is Chad  Scruggs. His daughter Hallie was one of the victims. Can we forget politics for a moment and lift a prayer for the Scruggs and all the families affected.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ehhh I’d advise you against going down that road on this particular subject, there, buddy.

IMG_0689.png

IMG_0690.jpeg

Why not Coffee? Let’s call a spade a spade.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Today's Daily Double!!!!!

Max Bet please!!!!

Oh thats easy

Alex. "What is gerrymandering??"

Oh hey, look, the single time in almost 40 years Wisconsin voted for the GOP in the presidential election. 

1 hour ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Apparently not and I think that should be required in today's times at any school where kids are.

So more money for metal detectors and an officer outside as many doors as possible, so that the kids think they are in jail, yet nothing to address the problem?  Why was it important for this person to be capable of purchasing two military styled assault rifles?

• Like 1

Gun shootings are the current leading cause for deaths of kids. Until we value lives of children over guns, this will be the norm. Just a game of deathly lottery where we all hope and pray that our kids and grandkids don’t happen to be the next. Except thoughts and prayers won’t work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I think it is disgusting that we will now hear questions about why this small Christian school didn't have enough security or a door was or wasn't locked.  WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ASK THOSE QUESTIONS IN THIS COUNTRY!

When we cannot leave the doors to an elementary school unlocked due to fears about those children being killed, we have a problem within our society.  Some groups, like the NRA, seem to want us to be more like South Africa or parts of central America than countries like Australia, Germany or Norway.  This should not be a political issue.

If you cannot look around and understand that we have too many damn guns in this country, you just don't want to look. Just like any other issue, it would be nice if we didn't have to legislate controls and people just did the right thing.  Unfortunately they don't.  Therefore the choice is to do something or just watch and do nothing.

You know, we had "all those guns" back 20-30-40-50 years ago and didn't have a school shooting problem. At my high school, I bet we 100 plus guns on campus every single day, AND NO SCHOOL SHOOTINGS. 

The guns didn't change, our culture changed.

The guns are not nor have ever been the problem. We have a people problem and LIKE USUAL, want to bring out a jingoistic answer to every single problem. I agree we can and should do more about guns. I ABSOLUTELY DO. But the REAL ANSWER will have to wait for us to make a bunch of laws that will do nothing and fail and more people and kids die before we address the REAL PROBLEM. The Real Problem is our culture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

When was the last school shooting by a stable person?

Bro, You cant say that on this board. Most of the forum think that gun ran down to the school and killed the kids itself. There was no BAD person involved. And if the shooter was actually trans, we will never hear of it from the MSM. It will NEVER happen.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Can someone help me understand why it matters if the shooter was or was not trans? The school shooting happened regardless of the shooters gender and I feel like people are more interested in their gender than the actual shooting.

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Bro, You cant say that on this board. Most of the forum think that gun ran down to the school and killed the kids itself. There was no BAD person involved. And if the shooter was actually trans, we will never hear of it from the MSM. It will NEVER happen.

Most, if not all, articles I’ve seen since that’s been known have mentioned it. In regard to the paragraph in which it’s mentioned, at this point it’s unclear how relevant it was.

27 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Can someone help me understand why it matters if the shooter was or was not trans? The school shooting happened regardless of the shooters gender and I feel like people are more interested in their gender than the actual shooting.

That’s how narratives are built. Direct people to certain dog whistles to avoid the main problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AUDub said:

The YouTube one a few years back. 

I don't like mondays by the boomtown rats.

Ho, hum. Another school shooting, another failure by our sociological and mental health professions.

Make no mistake, a mentally disturbed person did this. A gun didn't do this crime. If a hooligan throws a rock through your window, do you blame the rock? A rational person would not.

The police report that this insane person had written plans to attack one of two schools. She chose the one that did not have security on campus. DUH! It's logical to assume that had it been widely known that a significant percentage of the teachers and staff were armed at this school, the shooter would have chosen another.

About gun control: If gun control laws made one bit of difference then Democrat controlled cities such as Baltimore, Chicago, St. Louis, and so forth would not have a problem with shootings. They do have a serious problem. Criminals don't obey laws, it's that simple.

If a 30 year war on drugs can't get drugs off the street a new war on semi-auto firearms won't get these weapons off the street either. The solution is more money and resources pumped into mental health areas. But no, we're busy spending money keeping gas stoves off the market so who has time to stop school shootings?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Ho, hum. Another school shooting, another failure by our sociological and mental health professions.

Make no mistake, a mentally disturbed person did this. A gun didn't do this crime. If a hooligan throws a rock through your window, do you blame the rock? A rational person would not.

The police report that this insane person had written plans to attack one of two schools. She chose the one that did not have security on campus. DUH! It's logical to assume that had it been widely known that a significant percentage of the teachers and staff were armed at this school, the shooter would have chosen another.

About gun control: If gun control laws made one bit of difference then Democrat controlled cities such as Baltimore, Chicago, St. Louis, and so forth would not have a problem with shootings. They do have a serious problem. Criminals don't obey laws, it's that simple.

If a 30 year war on drugs can't get drugs off the street a new war on semi-auto firearms won't get these weapons off the street either. The solution is more money and resources pumped into mental health areas. But no, we're busy spending money keeping gas stoves off the market so who has time to stop school shootings?

I totally agree that a mentally unstable person did this. What continues to flummox me is that we’re the only country with unstable people.

• Like 2

We are the only country that gives unstable, disturbed people access to weapons that make almost anyone an efficient killer.

We are giving up all our freedoms, security, a peaceful society for the gun lobby, the NRA, right wing political power.  And now,,, they want unrestricted carry laws.  The results are not difficult to predict.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Society is failing and the people who are supposed to be on our "side" are the ones to blame. We're just too damn stupid to hold them accountable.

Keep pointing towards the weapons....they are on the loose and killing us indiscriminately. 

15 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I totally agree that a mentally unstable person did this. What continues to flummox me is that we’re the only country with unstable people.

I think it more has to do with the ease of obtaining a gun in this country. Currently, anyone that does not have a criminal history is able to legally buy a gun. So what probably happens is someone without prior criminal record, has something happen to them that breaks them, goes and buys a gun legally and proceeds to shoot up a school. And we have nothing in place to prevent that situation. Putting an armed guard or volunteer armed teachers will not help prevent this situation.

We need to make it more difficult to legally buy guns and have consequences to people whose guns they purchased end up in the wrong hands.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

We have no real purpose anymore. Our society has been filled with a cancer that we self-inflicted through poor choices and turning away from right and wrong so we could "feel" better. People don't have a guiding principle anymore.

America is bad and life is too hard. 

• Like 1

Just now, arein0 said:

I think it more has to do with the ease of obtaining a gun in this country. Currently, anyone that does not have a criminal history is able to legally buy a gun. So what probably happens is someone without prior criminal record, has something happen to them that breaks them, goes and buys a gun legally and proceeds to shoot up a school. And we have nothing in place to prevent that situation. Putting an armed guard or volunteer armed teachers will not help prevent this situation.

We need to make it more difficult to legally buy guns and have consequences to people whose guns they purchased end up in the wrong hands.

It's not the guns....it's the people. Are we going to continue this narrative or finally get a grasp on the root cause? 

I doubt it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

Body cam footage released (graphic - watch at your own risk):

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/metro-police-release-body-camera-footage-of-officers-taking-down-the-shooter-at-the-covenant-school

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2023/03/27/mnpd-releases-body-cam-video-of-mondays-school-shooting/70054489007/

You do see the officers firing at her, just not her on camera.  Also, these officers were not f***ing around.  They were swiftly and methodically moving through the building and when they heard shots upstairs, they RAN to it.  Polar opposite of what went down in Uvalde.

• Like 3

Just now, autigeremt said:

It's not the guns....it's the people. Are we going to continue this narrative or finally get a grasp on the root cause? 

I doubt it. 

It takes both guns and a mentally unstable person to have a mass shooting. You can remove all the guns in the world and there won't be mass shooting just as if you remove all mentally ill people there will be no shootings.

The root cause is how easy it is for someone mentally unstable to obtain a gun, legally or illegally. 

• Like 2

Just now, arein0 said:

It takes both guns and a mentally unstable person to have a mass shooting. You can remove all the guns in the world and there won't be mass shooting just as if you remove all mentally ill people there will be no shootings.

The root cause is how easy it is for someone mentally unstable to obtain a gun, legally or illegally. 

Unless you re-write the COTUS it isn't happening. SO.......do we start addressing the root cause or start another PAC?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, arein0 said:

I think this is a little exaggerated. Correct me if I'm wrong Republicans, but I think their stance is that guns aren't the cause of the issues, but mental health is. I agree with this in that mental health is the root problem.

Where I think they overlook is how easy it is to acquire a gun, even if you are mentally unstable.

I think in order to buy your first gun, you should be required to take a mental health exam, take a gun safety and proper storage class, and have your gun registered. After you have it registered, you are now partially responsible for what happens with it. So if it was used in a crime, even if you weren't there, you would be charged with a lesser crime.

Putting this in place would still provide your 2nd amendment rights and provide provisions/trainings to the people that want to own a gun.

Mostly agree, but I think it's a little simplistic to pick out a single factor as the "root problem".

There are many associated problems but they all operate within the context of the shear availability of guns in our society.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

So you think Wisconsin and Georgia are conservative states when they both went for Biden for POTUS?

Do you think all conservatives support Trump?