Overtime Games

alexgreatau

On this forum, I'm sure that we've all discussed our favorite/least favorite games a time or two. We all have different opinions and feelings on this subject.

Now, what about the overtime games that Auburn has played in the past few years?

I can't remember how many overtime games that Auburn has played in exactly, since the overtime system was enacted in college football back in 1996, but we've played in quite a few.

What is your favorite/least favorite overtime game memory?

I'll share my thoughts in this subject.

After analyzing the few overtime games in which we have won over the past few I have decided that my most favorite Auburn overtime game was the UGA game in 2000. Although Slink may have a different opinion on this game, I believe that the 29-26 overtime victory over UGA was just one of the signature victories that indicated to America that Auburn had finally arrived under CTT. Remember, we were down to the Dawgs 13-3 at the half, overcame the deficit, then almost blew it in the final minutes of the fourth quarter. However, we overcame this fourth quarter collapse and took the Dawgs into overtime, where we eventually won on Ben Leard's quarterback sneak into the endzone.

This win was especially important considering that Auburn had not defeated UGA at JHS since 1990. The 2000 Dawgs were a very talented team too.

My least favorite overtime was the 2002 loss to Florida. That was the game were the offense, under the direction of Daniel Cobb, was inept and then Cadillac Williams goes down for the season with a broken leg. All of a sudden, Jason Campbell and Ronnie Brown came in and reignited the offense. AU overcame a 23-7 fourth quarter deficit, just to see it go up in flames with another Damon Duval blocked kick that would have won the game for us in regulation. In overtime, Rex Grossman threw a third down touchdown off of his back foot and while he was on his way to the ground. Auburn could not score on the next possession.

Although this game was a glimpse of the greatness of both Jason Campbell and Ronnie Brown, it was still a bitter pill to swallow because AU should have won.

Oh well, that's my two cents. Feel free to reply.

Alex

the only OT games I can remember:

1996 UGA - Loss

1999 Ole Miss - Loss

2000 UGA - Win

2001 LaTech - Win

2002 Syracuse - Win

2002 Florida - Loss

99 uga was the whooping.

96 uga is my worst ot memory. tot put the brakes on an offense that was piling up the yards and points and went into the prevent offense and defense in the 2nd quarter, and what do you know, we end up losing in the 4th overtime. :angry::angry:

syracuse in 02 was my favorite. IMO, that was Carnell's finest game as a Tiger. He repeatedly demonstrated all of his skills that night.

UGA 96' was the worst. It kept getting colder and colder and the game kept getting worse and worse. :D

We should've never seen overtime in that one. UGA has a real nasty habit of completing desperation passes on us at the end of games. Filthy fragnabbin sastakransblathin druck farthin Bulldogs. :banghead:

:big:

Yeah, I have to go with the wins over the 'Cuse and the Dawgs. Those were great, and I was there for both of them. It "ain't" like TV.... <_<

:au::homer:

Least fav:

2002 @ Florida--Duval gets a 23 yard kick blocked near the end of regulation after a superb effort to come back in the Swamp. (now that duval is graduated, maybe now we can all admit that the guy went nuts after his good year--or maybe the rumors are true about him betting on games.hmmm)

Fav:

2000 UGA--Quarterback sneak for the win over the UGAlys

The replay of Duval's kick showed this chip shot wouldn't have made it whether it was blocked or not. He hooked it and barely got it over the linemen's head anyway. That was sickening. :puke:

Favorite-Syracuse

least favorite-uga..It should have never gone to OT.

Favorite - UGA 2000 - First time I saw Auburn beat UGA in Jordan-Hare

Least Favorite - UGA 1996 - Last game as a student in Jordan-Hare.

The last 2 games i went too were, the La Tech OT, and the Syracuse OT.

I been scared to go back since? I wanna go to GT, but in the best interest of AU football, I'll just watch it at home WDE

Favorite was 2002 Syracuse That game ended at. . . heck it felt like 3 am dont know how late it really was.

Worst :uga: 96'

Not an Auburn game, but..

I kinda like the Bama-Tennessee game two years ago where Bama let Tennessee convert on a 4th and 17? (I think?) in OT to beat the Tide.

My Bama friends still get acid indigestion every time I mention it! :P:big:

The 56-49 loss in 4 OTs to :uga:

I wanted to fire CTB after that fiasco. How in tyhe heck do you score 49 points at home and still lose????

CTB :hammerin: DKW

I too have to say the worst was the 1996 UGA game. In '96, I was working near Atlanta, and bought tickets to that game from a UGA grad. So I was at that game in JH, but in the VISITOR's section, right next to the friggin UGA band. I had to put up with being surrounded by drunk, rude UGA fans in my own stadium, and listening to that band play after every score - and those overtime scores seemed to happen every minute. And losing capped off the evening - with the drunken UGA fans acting all cocky as I made my way from my seat.

Up until that day, I had always considered Georgia a team that I pulled for when they were not playing Auburn. Not any more. :angry:

In 1996, our defense couldn't stop Robert Edwards in the fourth quarter and in overtime. It always seemed like Edwards would get the ball on a sweep left and then run 20 yards for a touchdown.

That game was emblematic of Terry Bowden's tenure at Auburn, score score score. Bowden preferred high pace football and scoring a lot of points. Although your team will score a lot of points playing high pace football, your defense will give up a lot of points as well. It always seemed like we would go three and out quickly or score quickly, rarely giving our defense enough time to rest. That's always the problem with high pace football.

Anyway, that whole 1996 season was frustration. A humiliating loss to UF in Gainesville, combined with a two point loss to LSU at home, the heartbreaking OT loss to UGA a game we should have won, and none of us can forget the Iron Bowl the week after. UAT only had the ball a combined total of six minutes in the second half, Auburn spent the entire half in Alabama territory, and yet, could not socre. This gave Bama a chance for one last desperation drive that resulted in a touchdown. Grrrr. I cringe just thinking about it.

Alex :sec::au:

You are right on the money when it comes to "bowden ball". Thankfully, our "cringing" days are OVER. :au:

Archived