This should concern you regardless of party

TexasTiger

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I actually don’t think this one is a problem, nor any of the other examples I’ve referred to. The right and left only care about ethics when it involves a Justice they don’t like.

So you agree that the court needs ethical oversight, ethical standards?

48 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Do you honestly believe that Clarence Thomas is one of the "less fortunate"?

Clarence Thomas did not receive tuition. It was his distant nephew.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Clarence Thomas did not receive tuition. It was his distant nephew.

I doubt you can be anymore disingenuous.  However,,, I look forward to your efforts.

• Facepalm 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2023/05/04/leonard-leo-clarence-ginni-thomas-conway/

Not just Crow, a Republican judicial activist Leonard Leo routed a $25,000 payment to Thomas's wife through a 3rd party, Kellyanne Conway, and instructed Conway to make sure Clarence and his wife's name was not connected to the payment.  Leo and his organizations at the time and after were actively making amicus briefs related to cases before the Supreme Court. 

It just keeps piling on here. 

If the Supreme Court wants to have ANY shred of reputation or legitimacy left in the future it'll have no choice but to accept some more oversight and/or develop a new set of ethical guidelines. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

It was his distant nephew.

This is a lie.  He is raising this child as his own.  Those are his words, not mine.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

This is a lie.  He is raising this child as his own.  Those are his words, not mine.

Sure, but they rarely speak.

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Not a lie. It is “grand nephew”. 

• Facepalm 2

Now that the court is thoroughly politicized,,, the entire court, regardless of party, requires ethical oversight.

How long has the court been “thoroughly politicized “ ?

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Now that the court is thoroughly politicized,,, the entire court, regardless of party, requires ethical oversight.

Again. Name somebody who is “ethical” enough to provide ethical oversight to the supreme court justices. 

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I think if George Soros was doing for a liberal Justice what Harlan Crowe is doing for Thomas the House would be doing an investigation and right wing heads would explode. 

I would incorporate by reference everything I previously said. 🍻 

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I would incorporate by reference everything I previously said. 🍻 

But do you think I’m wrong about the reaction?

3 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Again. Name somebody who is “ethical” enough to provide ethical oversight to the supreme court justices. 

A code of ethics. Currently, all federal judges have one except the Supreme Court.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

A code of ethics. Currently, all federal judges have one except the Supreme Court.

So no oversight from a person or a committee. Just a written code. Is the one written for federal judges acceptable? Or should there be a different one. I don’t know what the federal one says. I guess I just assumed the best; that people at that level would have ethics and if you needed to take a class then you don’t have it. So no name is forthcoming. Who would write this ethics code?

19 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

So no oversight from a person or a committee. Just a written code. Is the one written for federal judges acceptable? Or should there be a different one. I don’t know what the federal one says. I guess I just assumed the best; that people at that level would have ethics and if you needed to take a class then you don’t have it. So no name is forthcoming. Who would write this ethics code?

I’d be fine with applying the existing standards. Beats nothing.

12 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Ethical oversight by congress?   I want some of what you've been smoking 

14 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

1 hour ago, Tigermike said:

Ethical oversight by congress?   I want some of what you've been smoking 

ichy, we have ethical oversight of Congress and we all know Congress is bought and sold on every subject in both parties...If there is a more brazen fail in American politics than Congressional Ethics please point it out. The MIC wants you to do it.

Does Thomas' failure to report the tuition arise to an ethics violation? OH HELL YES. But no more than every junket that every member of congress takes with every corp out there paying for their and their families' way. This is a 24-7-365 con job on the American People.

If you arrested every ethical challenged and compromised member fo Congress, you would have to arrest all but about 10, maybe.

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

ichy, we have ethical oversight of Congress and we all know Congress is bought and sold on every subject in both parties...If there is a more brazen fail in American politics than Congressional Ethics please point it out. The MIC wants you to do it.

Does Thomas' failure to report the tuition arise to an ethics violation? OH HELL YES. But no more than every junket that every member of congress takes with every corp out there paying for their and their families' way. This is a 24-7-365 con job on the American People.

If you arrested every ethical challenged and compromised member fo Congress, you would have to arrest all but about 10, maybe.

And yet,,, WE reelect them.  I do not believe seeing paid lobbyists is ethical.

But all aside, the problem here is that you cannot count on someone to ensure their own ethical behavior.  We need a better government.

WE have to get money out of politics and government.  OUR government is for sale.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

We cannot have laws that govern the capital and political classes?  You do not care about ethical conduct in government?

As a life long Republican, I never thought so many in the party would either not want ethical constraints or, be so cynical that they believed the effort was futile.

16 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

How long has the court been “thoroughly politicized “ ?

Good question.  Like most degradation, the process is slow.  I think it began with the Powell memo and appointment.  It really takes off with the Federalist Society.  But, it becomes entrenched when the "justices" have allowed themselves to be "influenced" (bought) by lobbyists/special interests.

The problem with our government is simple.  The government is for sale.  The government that was unique, is now like every other in history.  It is not a government of the people, it is a government of the people with the most economic power.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

We cannot have laws that govern the capital and political classes?  You do not care about ethical conduct in government?

As a life long Republican, I never thought so many in the party would either not want ethical constraints or, be so cynical that they believed the effort was futile.

As a lifelong Republican how have you changed and how do you see the party changing such that your no longer aligned with it?

You can’t teach ethics. If you need to be taught then you don’t have it. Yes the cynicism is rampant due to the absolute cesspool of people that run our government as members of Congress. We have laws that govern the political and capital classes..yes. The problem is large numbers are not following them and nobody does anything about it.

2 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

You can’t teach ethics. If you need to be taught then you don’t have it. Yes the cynicism is rampant due to the absolute cesspool of people that run our government as members of Congress. We have laws that govern the political and capital classes..yes. The problem is large numbers are not following them and nobody does anything about it.

Correct but,,, I am not suggesting teaching ethics, only applying and enforcing ethical standards. 

Until we get money out of the processes, we have no hope of restoring the "government of the people".

There should be a bipartisan effort to end ALL paid lobbying, of any kind, in any branch of government.

We can be divided by ideology later.  Now, we need to unite in order to restore integrity and accountability.  No "witch hunts", simply end all paid lobbying, PACs, extreme limits on campaign finance. 

We do not need to destroy government.  We need to end the personal gain motives, the power mechanisms of the parties.

36 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

As a lifelong Republican how have you changed and how do you see the party changing such that your no longer aligned with it?

That is a book.  Today, I do not have the time.