Johni Broome, Jaylen Williams Test NBA Waters (Update: Both Return To AU)

toddc

Johni Broome enters NBA Draft while retaining eligibility

3 hours ago

Auburn center Johni Broome announced on Tuesday that he will be entering the NBA Draft, but retaining his collegiate eligibility.

"First off, I would like to thank God for putting me on this position, as I wouldn't be where I am today without Him," Broome wrote. "I would also like to thank my family, friends, teammates and coaches for all your support throughout my career so far. It's been an honor to put on an Auburn uniform each and every game and I wouldn't trade if for anything, nor be in this position today without everyone's love and belief in me as a player.

"After discussions with my family and staff at Auburn, and as I look toward the future and the next step in my career, I have made the decision to enter my name into the 2023 NBA draft, while retaining my eligibility. I look forward to obtaining valuable feedback that will assist me in my lifelong goal of playing in the NBA, and I appreciate all your support along this journey! War Eagle Always!"

Players have until May 31 to withdraw from the draft process, so Broome can assess his professional prospects and receive NBA feedback before making a decision on whether to stay in the draft or return to college. 

Last off-season, both Allen Flanigan and Dylan Cardwell went through the draft process and opted to return.

14COMMENTS

Transferring from Morehead State to Auburn last year, Broome replaced former All-American Walker Kessler and averaged 14.2 points and 8.4 rebounds per game, shooting 52.7 percent from the floor and 29 percent from three. He also averaged 2.4 blocks per game.

So far this off-season, Auburn has brought in former FIU guard Denver Jones to replace Zep Jasper at the shooting guard position. Freshman Aden Holloway is expected to replace Wendell Green Jr. at point guard. The small forward position remains wide open, with transfers Matthew Cleveland and Devan Cambridge expected to visit soon. Auburn will also host former UAH stretch-four Chaney Johnson for a visit on Thursday, with the idea of using him behind Jaylin Williams to replace Yohan Traore. 

Edited by toddc

NBA Feedback: “move faster”, “learn how to jump” 

Just a few suggestions I thought they’d have for him. Anyways, I highly doubt he’ll hear anything that should make him leave, but Sharife Cooper left for an at best situation of a high 2nd round so nothing can surprise me after that. We’re boned if he leaves so by default, I hope Mr Broome returns! 

• Like 1

Seems like an easy decision for him to test the waters, there’s literally no downside I’m aware of. If Cardwell did it last year (with literally no chance to get drafted) why not Broome who would have a much better chance to make it? 

• Like 2

What it means: Johni Broome, Jaylin Williams enter names into NBA Draft

Justin Hokanson

Jaylin Williams (Photo by Auburn Athletics)

AUBURN — Auburn front court teammates Johni Broome and Jaylin Williams both entered their names into the NBA Draft process this week.

Broome averaged over 14 points, eight rebounds and two blocks per game in his first season at Auburn after transferring from Morehead State.

Broome played his first two seasons at Morehead State before transferring ahead of this past season to the Tigers. As a sophomore with the Eagles, Broome was named 2022 Ohio Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year.

“First off, I would like to thank God for putting me in this position, as I wouldn’t be where I am today without Him. I would also like to thank my family, friends, teammates, and coaches for all your support throughout my career so far. It’s been an honor to put on an Auburn uniform each and every game and wouldn’t trade it for anything, nor be in this position today without everyone’s love and belief in me as a player,” Broom said in a statement.

“After discussions with my family and staff at Auburn, and as I look toward the future and the next step in my career, I have made the decision to enter my name into the 2023 NBA draft, while retaining my eligibility. I look forward to obtaining valuable feedback that will assist me in my lifelong goal of playing in the NBA, and appreciate all your support along this journey!”

DON’T MISS THE MOST RECENT BASKETBALL INSIDER

Williams averaged over 11 points per game, four rebounds and two assists per game. Williams was a bench player as a junior for the Tigers after being a starter as a sophomore. During that 2020-21 season, Williams averaged 10.9 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks on 51.8% shooting.

Before coming to Auburn, Jaylin Williams was a four-star prospect coming out of Nahunta (Ga.) Brantley County. He was the No. 113 overall recruit and No. 20 power forward in the 2019 On3 Industry Ranking. The On3 Industry is a proprietary algorithm that compiles ratings and rankings from all four major recruiting media services. The On3 Industry Ranking is the most advanced, complete and unbiased rating and ranking measurement in the industry. 

“Auburn family, thanks to you, my basketball journey has been unforgettable. Without you all, I wouldn’t be where I am today. An Auburn man,” Williams said.

He continued on, thanking Bruce Pearl and the Auburn coaching staff, saying, “With that being said, I will be entering my name into the 2023 NBA Draft while maintaining my collegiate eligibility. I’m looking forward to this next step in my career and can’t wait to see what the future holds.”

What do their decisions mean?

Williams has one more year remaining due to the additional Covid year. Broome had one more year remaining anyway, but could theoretically play two more years because of the Covid year. Entering their names into the draft process is nothing new for players under Pearl. It’s a win-win situation. Broome and Williams will receive feedback on their draft stock, and can then return to Auburn, if they choose.

From a PR standpoint, they get their moment in the sun to declare for the draft and receive attention. Auburn also gets the added attention of having players enter their names into the draft. If they players return, they get the joy of announcing their return and Auburn gets more positive attention for having quality players return for another season. 

Auburn Live expects both Broome and Williams to return to Auburn for the 2023-24 season.

Now, we await Allen Flanigan‘s decision. It’s expected that Flanigan will also enter his name into the NBA Draft.

• Like 2

• toddc changed the title to Johni Broome and Jaylen Williams Testing NBA Waters
7 hours ago, toddc said:

Now, we await Allen Flanigan‘s decision. It’s expected that Flanigan will also enter his name into the NBA Draft.

Flanigan needs to not only enter the draft, but leave altogether. Thank you for your services! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I want him to do well, but then return for the season. Geez, man!

11 minutes ago, toddc said:

I want him to do well, but then return for the season. Geez, man!

Do well, but not too well 😆 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Do well, but not too well 😆 

I always thought his game would translate well with the right team. The good news is, big men like Broom,with a lot of teams in the NBA, are like fullbacks in the NFL. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I always thought his game would translate well with the right team. The good news is, big men like Broom,with a lot of teams in the NBA, are like fullbacks in the NFL. Just my opinion. 

Pretty much a fact more so than just your opinion honestly. There's all time great post bigs in college that are just happy for a G-League spot nowadays 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Pretty much a fact more so than just your opinion honestly. There's all time great post bigs in college that are just happy for a G-League spot nowadays 

He was MVP of the first session. It’s getting a little bit scary.

G-League Elite Camp: Day 1 Top Performers

Jamie Shawabout 3 hours
johni-broome-auburn-basketball (1) Johni Broome led all scorers on day 1 of the G-League Elite Camp (Photo by Auburn Athletics)

Chicago, Illinois – The G-League is in Chicago hosting its G-League Elite Camp, an invite-only combine for players trying to make it to the NBA. Last year seven players who participated in the G-League Elite Camp were invited to the NBA Draft Combine. While ultimately, that is the goal of participating in this event, it can also serve as a proving ground to put your name on radars for next year’s draft. 

Forty-four players were invited this year and split between four teams. Throughout the camp, players will go through interviews, athletic testing, and measurements. The games are broadcast on Youtube on the G-League channel, which is how I viewed the games. 

The G-League Elite Camp is a two-day event, Saturday and Sunday, that leads right into the Monday start of the NBA Draft Combine. As it was mentioned previously, seven players were invited last year from this camp. The previous year, ten players were invited. The invites come from NBA personnel who want to see more.

Day one of the G-League Elite Camp took place on Saturday. The top performers are not necessarily the players who will get NBA Draft Combine invites or even get drafted; they are simply the players who performed the best on the day. With that said, On3 took in the live stream to talk top performers.

Full G-League Elite Camp Roster of Players

On3 MVP: PF Johni Broome, Auburn

Johni Broome led all scorers on day one of the G-League Elite Camp with 23 points. The lefty was a force on the block and from ten feet and in. He not only showed touch, but he was able to absorb contact around the basket and finish. He also showed range with the pick-and-pop jump shot, leading to believe that could consistently be a part of his game. 

Broome finished with only 4 rebounds in this game; you would like to see him get better positioning there. While he is not an explosive leaper, he uses his length and timing well to affect plays around the rim. Broome’s offensive showing certainly opened eyes, with 23 points on 8-of-11 from the field. He seemed unaffected by any defense he saw from the opposition.

Tyrin Lawrence (Vanderbilt) – Tyrin Lawrence started strong in his game. He is an athletic guard who flourished when the game was fast and he was in transition. Lawrence showed instincts toward the rim and a capability to finish through contact. He showed toughness, and he showed he can create some offense. When he was on the floor, you heard his name. He is in the transfer portal in the event he comes back to college. Eyes were opened with this performance, but will it be enough to earn the NBA Combine invite? He had 11 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 assists.

This is not unusual. The guys want a read on how they are perceived now. I really don't think either are going to receive top grades, but if their thinking is G-league is a better paycheck than NIL, well, it's now a different world of BB.

19 minutes ago, toddc said:

Jamie Shawabout 3 hours
johni-broome-auburn-basketball (1) Johni Broome led all scorers on day 1 of the G-League Elite Camp (Photo by Auburn Athletics)

Chicago, Illinois – The G-League is in Chicago hosting its G-League Elite Camp, an invite-only combine for players trying to make it to the NBA. Last year seven players who participated in the G-League Elite Camp were invited to the NBA Draft Combine. While ultimately, that is the goal of participating in this event, it can also serve as a proving ground to put your name on radars for next year’s draft. 

Forty-four players were invited this year and split between four teams. Throughout the camp, players will go through interviews, athletic testing, and measurements. The games are broadcast on Youtube on the G-League channel, which is how I viewed the games. 

The G-League Elite Camp is a two-day event, Saturday and Sunday, that leads right into the Monday start of the NBA Draft Combine. As it was mentioned previously, seven players were invited last year from this camp. The previous year, ten players were invited. The invites come from NBA personnel who want to see more.

Day one of the G-League Elite Camp took place on Saturday. The top performers are not necessarily the players who will get NBA Draft Combine invites or even get drafted; they are simply the players who performed the best on the day. With that said, On3 took in the live stream to talk top performers.

Johni Broome led all scorers on day one of the G-League Elite Camp with 23 points. The lefty was a force on the block and from ten feet and in. He not only showed touch, but he was able to absorb contact around the basket and finish. He also showed range with the pick-and-pop jump shot, leading to believe that could consistently be a part of his game. 

Broome finished with only 4 rebounds in this game; you would like to see him get better positioning there. While he is not an explosive leaper, he uses his length and timing well to affect plays around the rim. Broome’s offensive showing certainly opened eyes, with 23 points on 8-of-11 from the field. He seemed unaffected by any defense he saw from the opposition.

Tyrin Lawrence (Vanderbilt) – Tyrin Lawrence started strong in his game. He is an athletic guard who flourished when the game was fast and he was in transition. Lawrence showed instincts toward the rim and a capability to finish through contact. He showed toughness, and he showed he can create some offense. When he was on the floor, you heard his name. He is in the transfer portal in the event he comes back to college. Eyes were opened with this performance, but will it be enough to earn the NBA Combine invite? He had 11 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 assists.

Man, if Broome comes back and we land Lawrence then our team is looking strong for ‘23-‘24 and Bruce looks like a genius. If they both go pro and we’re left empty-handed then look out below, not sure where the floor is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

He was MVP of the first session. It’s getting a little bit scary.

I just don’t see any world where he’s getting above top 50 (it should be about 60 picks this draft). It’s a top heavy draft but we’ve just seen this in regards to his type of center for a few years 

if he’s okay with leaving with a low 2nd round pick, you just gotta tip your hat to them. Kinda like with JT years ago, JT just needed money for his family and wanted to get to that as soon as possible. There’s nothing you could do that would have more persuading power than that (at the time). Broome might just be ready to go to the next level, if he were to make that decision

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2023-nba-mock-draft/

just for reference, this draft has Edey as being the 60th pick and Jaime Jarquez and Keyontae Johnson - two really plus wings for elite teams - going in the mid 50s. Oscar and Timme in the 70s as prospects…

• Like 1

Don’t bring that high school stuff into my space!!

• Haha 2

On 5/13/2023 at 8:20 PM, toddc said:

Jamie Shawabout 3 hours

I know he was MVP, but did they see him shoot free throws….

Broome earns an invite to the NBA combine.  Tyrin did not. 

On 5/13/2023 at 8:20 PM, toddc said:

He also showed range with the pick-and-pop jump shot

this suprises me