Johni Broome, Jaylen Williams Test NBA Waters (Update: Both Return To AU)

toddc

Just going to put this out there:

I hope he makes the best decision for Auburn.

I’m more of an Auburn fan than a Johni Broome fan, so if I had to choose…Auburn.

• Like 5

My poor bball knowledge self thinks he’ll benefit mightily with the PG and shooters it appears we’ll have assuming cbp gives him oppos which I think he will.  But … Broome has got to get more aggressive and nasty in the paint.  Broome could have a dominant season if he comes back.  

8 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

There's no feel for how he is leaning? From anywhere?

A week and a half ago at the Ambush events Pearl said he wasn’t worried about him leaving…that’s all we have to go on.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

There's no feel for how he is leaning? From anywhere?

Whata a 2nd round, G League players on a 2 way contract make?

I've always heard/thought it wasnt a lot. Can we not match that with NIL

• Like 2

Auburn returns arguably its best player on the roster

Nathan King8 mins

Auburn fans breathed a sigh of relief toward the end of this holiday weekend.

After nearly a month in the NBA draft process, Tigers All-SEC center Johni Broome announced Monday he’ll be returning to school for another season in favor of turning pro, where he very likely had a handful of G League opportunities after he was one of the more impressive players over the past few weeks at both the G League Elite Camp and the NBA Combine. The deadline to withdraw officially from the draft process is Wednesday.

As Auburn addressed other roster needs — namely the wing position, where it picked up JUCO sniper Chad Baker-Mazara — the possibility of Broome’s exit loomed over the coaching staff’s decision-making and blueprinting for next season. It wouldn’t have been a nightmare scenario had Broome stayed in the draft, considering Jaylin Williams started at the 5 spot his sophomore year, but Auburn’s personnel fits a gravitational center well — not to mention Broome is Auburn's top returning player in points, rebounds and blocks.

The Tigers would have opted for a small-ball lineup even further — considering Dylan Cardwell would have been the only player on the roster listed at taller than 6-foot-8 — and obviously would have lost some highly efficient interior scoring and top-tier defense around the basket. Cardwell is a good spark off the bench, but 20-plus minutes for the backup center wasn’t what Bruce Pearlwanted. Auburn kicked the tires on a few transfer bigs and had them waiting, positioned to increase interest if Broome turned pro, but the odds of landing one as productive as Broome obviously would have been slim.

As has been the case with his NBA prospects throughout his Auburn tenure, Pearl will always push a player out of the nest if he’s receiving a first-round grade. Broome, however, was not projected to be picked by any reputable draft analysts, even after the combine. 

“Our feelings have always sort of been, 'Can you get yourself into that first round?’” Pearl said earlier this month. “If you can get yourself into that first round, you need to go. It's hard to climb out of the second round. Guys that go second round, they're not the general manager's first pick, they do the two-way contract, they spend most of their time in the G League.”

Instead, Auburn doesn’t have to worry about replacing arguably its best returning piece on the roster.

Now the question is: Are the Tigers heading into next season with the top center in the conference?

Considering Broome’s All-SEC accolades during his first campaign with the team — when he led Auburn in scoring at 14.2 points per game (52.7 percent from the floor), plus 8.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks — he’s obviously going to have good standing in terms of returning players in the league. 

Fellow All-SEC big men last season Colin Castleton (Florida), Oscar Tschibwe (Kentucky), Liam Robbins (Vanderbilt) and KJ Williams (LSU) are all out of eligibility, with the exception of Tschibwe, who’s still in the draft process but is expected to make the jump to the NBA. Mississippi State’s Tolu Smith is the only other All-SEC big man guaranteed to be back in the conference next season, after he pulled out of the draft last week.

The argument for best returning center probably pits Broome against Smith. Broome’s points per game, field-goal percentage and rebounding are second among returning big men in the SEC behind only Smith. Broome’s 2.4 blocks per game, however, becomes the top returning average in the league with Castleton gone.

Perhaps Broome’s most impressive feat his first year in the SEC was that he finished the year top 5 in the conference in field-goal percentage, rebounding and blocks — and was the only SEC player to do so.

Of course, incoming transfers across the league, like Broome last season, will make their impacts felt. Jamarion Sharp (Ole Miss), Micah Handlogten (Florida) and B.J. Mack (South Carolina) are among the most productive frontcourt transfers entering the SEC next season.

Then there’s the improvements Auburn hopes Broome can capitalize on from the draft process. In two games during the G League camp, Broome had 40 combined points on 16-of-25 shooting. He was praised by scouts and draft analysts as one of the best players on the floor, and possibly the best big man during the event.

Then he played his way into the NBA Combine, where he stood out once again in a scrimmage, posting 20 points and 11 rebounds. 

Broome will obviously be angling to parlay that success and professional feedback into an even bigger season on the Plains, where he now knows he’s only a couple rungs away from being a draft pick.

“Johni definitely helped himself and clearly does the things that he does,” Pearl said earlier this month. “He's able to score, he played physically, he has high basketball IQ. And the things he needs to continue to work on — his defense, his rim protection, rebounding out of his area, that'll be — we'll see that again.”

Edited by toddc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

• toddc changed the title to Johni Broome Returning to Auburn

Johni Broome to withdraw from NBA draft, return to Auburn

Auburn has locked in its top returning player for the 2023-24 season

Nathan King19 mins

Arguably Auburn’s best player last season is now its most important returning piece. 

After spending the past month working out for NBA teams, impressing at the G League Elite Camp and being evaluated at the NBA Combine, All-SEC center Johni Broome has opted to return to Auburn in favor of turning pro, he announced on social media on Memorial Day.

The rising senior was one of eight players to play his way into an NBA Combine invite last week, after he had 40 combined points on 16-of-25 shooting in two scrimmages at the G League camp.

It’s difficult to make the jump from being widely projected as an undrafted prospect, but Broome likely still could have begun his career in the G League on a two-way contract.

“If a team wants me and wants to draft me, then I’ll stay in the process,” Broome told the Lexington Herald-Leader at the combine. “But anything else, I’ll probably just go back to school. I’ve gotten great feedback since I’ve been here. So just kind of taking what they’ve given me and just continue to work, continue to perfect my craft. And hopefully be back next year, if I don’t make it this year.”

A second team All-SEC selection this past season, Broome made his presence felt in the league after making the jump from the mid-major level. At 6-foot-10, the Morehead State transfer was the SEC’s only player to finish in the top five in the conference in field-goal percentage, blocks and rebounding. He led Auburn in scoring at 14.2 points per game (52.7 percent from the floor), plus 8.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks.

“Johni definitely helped himself and clearly does the things that he does,” Bruce Pearlsaid last week. “He's able to score, he played physically, he has high basketball IQ. And the things he needs to continue to work on — his defense, his rim protection, rebounding out of his area, that'll be — we'll see that again. The level of competition at the combine will be higher than the G League (camp). He did great.”

Auburn forward Jaylin Williams and backup center Dylan Cardwell are also expected to return to school after they did not receive invites to the G League camp. The deadline for all players to withdraw from the draft process and retain their college eligibility is May 31.

With Broome back in the mix, Auburn is now at 10 scholarship spots filled for next season. Last week, the Tigers picked up JUCO sharp-shooter Chad Baker-Mazara, a 6-foot-7 wing who could be their final addition of the offseason. Auburn’s staff has also been poking around in the portal recently for some added depth in the frontcourt.

SCHOLARSHIP SNAPSHOT

1. Jaylin Williams (senior)

2. Dylan Cardwell (senior)

3. Chris Moore (senior)

4. K.D. Johnson (senior)

5. Chad Baker-Mazara (senior)

6. Johni Broome (senior)

7. Denver Jones (junior)

8. Chaney Johnson (junior)

9. Tre Donaldson (sophomore)

10. Aden Holloway (freshman)

11. TBD

12. TBD

13. TBD

• Like 1

Excellent news! Really feel like we’ve filled out our roster about as good as could have been expected. Broome got his name more firmly planted in the nba scouts minds and with some more shooting around him next season he could really climb the draft boards. 

• Like 2

• Like 7

This is huge if the new players are as good as I hope we could be near the top in the SEC this coming season.

• Like 3

That's a lot of seniors. We need to make it happen. Excited for the upcoming season. 

• Like 4

This is great news. He was a force at times. With the new guys coming in along with this news, AU could really compete for the SEC and a deep tourney run 

Just now, toddc said:

Go eleven and add in Lior Brrrrrmun.

• Thanks 1

So glad to hear that this young man is returning. With the returning guys and new additions (and departures), I am really optimistic about next season.

• Like 1

Broome is gonna have a big year.  The difference maker on our ceiling is jaylin Williams.  If he plays up to his potential, we could have a fun year.

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Thanks 1

It's great news and really exciting, except I believed Coach when he said not to worry. So I didn't. If they all gel and we peak at the right time, we'll be a really tough out. 

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Do have to say, when u see age on teams, that's usually when they make a run, but things are a bit different in the portal era bc u don't have that 3-4 years of geling. I'm keeping faith that Bruce can get the best out of these guys.

Edited by Maverick.AU

Good! Now get him the ball more. We should be playing through Broome more. Didn't do that enough last year. 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Do have to say, when u see age on teams, that's usually when they make a run, but things are a bit different in the portal era bc u don't have that 3-4 years of geling. I'm keeping faith that Bruce can get the best out of these guys.

Very, very true - I'd only add that the experienced guys have seemed to be able to hit the ground running with new cores better than those HS kids do (which makes sense). I think about Keyontae at Kansas St, Mark Sears at Alabama, Nijel Pack at Miami, (Texas had a couple, names aren't coming to me right now), some of those good March Madness teams had some real one year plug and play guys 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

That and guard play. UConn has always been my team (grew up watching Big East). Each time we've won the title...it's been due to guard play. It's the reason why Miami and SDST went on a deep run this year. But UConn was younger than both squads. Need guys that can hit shots. Hopefully, our guard play improves.

• Like 2