Johni Broome, Jaylen Williams Test NBA Waters (Update: Both Return To AU)

toddc

Back court, check, front court, check!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Back court, check, front court, check!

And good to great shooters everywhere!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

And good to great shooters everywhere!

It'll come down to facilitating. 

On 5/29/2023 at 9:04 PM, toddc said:

Feels like a team built to peak in March. The young point guards hopefully will be hitting their stride towards the back half of February. Love the experience around them though

• Like 2

Any other big men expected to come on board for 2023-2024?

6 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Not that I’ve heard.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, PUB78 said:

12 hours ago, toddc said:

Not that I’ve heard.

We're looking to possibly add another big

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the return of Broome, Williams, and Cardwell we have at least two quality players at each position.

Center - Broome may be one of best Centers in SEC this year, Cardwell solid backup, rebounds, blocks shots adds energy on O can dunk.

PF - Williams when on can be dynamic but sometimes disappears,  Johnson very solid player moving up to SEC, Moore hustle  nice Shot, plays bigger than he is.

SF - Baker-Mazra  great shooter, rebounds, long has good handle. Moore as mentioned above, Denver Jones if we go small can score and play D, Berman good 3 point shot works hard on boards and defense 

SG - Denver Jones scoring machine at lower level, good size for the position, KG can play tough D and can be instant Offense but loses focus at times and does not always take good shots undersized for position

PG - Holloway decent size for position has shown can score at all 3 levels in HS hard to say about D against SEC players, Donaldson is a facilitator showed a decent 3 point shot needs to work on D decent size for a PG.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

we have at least two quality players at each position.

Not at the 4, at least in terms of a solid rebounder. Heck, even our starting 4 isn't a solid rebounder.

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

SF - Baker-Mazra  great shooter, rebounds, long has good handle. Moore as mentioned above, Denver Jones if we go small can score and play D, Berman good 3 point shot works hard on boards and defense 

Johnson will play quite a bit of 3 and should be mentioned here since he will be no worse than the top back up at the 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With the return of Broome, Williams, and Cardwell we have at least two quality players at each position.

Center - Broome may be one of best Centers in SEC this year, Cardwell solid backup, rebounds, blocks shots adds energy on O can dunk.

PF - Williams when on can be dynamic but sometimes disappears,  Johnson very solid player moving up to SEC, Moore hustle  nice Shot, plays bigger than he is.

SG - Denver Jones scoring machine at lower level, good size for the position, KG can play tough D and can be instant Offense but loses focus at times and does not always take good shots undersized for position

PG - Holloway decent size for position has shown can score at all 3 levels in HS hard to say about D against SEC players, Donaldson is a facilitator showed a decent 3 point shot needs to work on D decent size for a PG.

I have some questions on this overall good synopsis. 

I think you were generous in your assessment of KD. His bad mistakes games to his instant offense games is more like 3 or 4:1. I am hoping he has a turnaround in his approach. I won't belabor that point much further since it has been discussed alot.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Tre become a great facilitator. I saw him become a better shooter by the end of the year. I also saw him dribble around alot. But he averaged 1.2 assists with 10.5 min/game. Now maybe that goes up when he gets in a groove and can be in games longer, but truth be told, the PG position is a slight concern of mine. We need AH to adjust to college soon, because I'm not sold Tre can run things there, yet.

Would like to add one more solid big.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I think you were generous in your assessment of KD. His bad mistakes games to his instant offense games is more like 3 or 4:1. I am hoping he has a turnaround in his approach. I won't belabor that point much further since it has been discussed alot.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Tre become a great facilitator. I saw him become a better shooter by the end of the year. I also saw him dribble around alot. But he averaged 1.2 assists with 10.5 min/game. Now maybe that goes up when he gets in a groove and can be in games longer, but truth be told, the PG position is a slight concern of mine. We need AH to adjust to college soon, because I'm not sold Tre can run things there, yet.

I see what you're saying on the point and I'm sure the stats are correct, but at times Tre looked a lot more like a true point man to me. Sometimes it looked like players were a little shocked they got the ball, other times he was looking for guys and they weren't aware of the situation and were paying no attention to the ball. Just my opinion, I've been wrong many times before. It actually surprised me when he did start taking shots. A little unorthodox, but he's not a bad shooter at all. 

I struggle to name a team that has 3 good 5s. I would like a really good rebounding 4, but we shall see. 

• Like 1

Tre is a guy who may not have gaudy assist numbers but he runs the offense and makes sure the ball moves. I can work with a PG like that

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I see what you're saying on the point and I'm sure the stats are correct, but at times Tre looked a lot more like a true point man to me. Sometimes it looked like players were a little shocked they got the ball, other times he was looking for guys and they weren't aware of the situation and were paying no attention to the ball. Just my opinion, I've been wrong many times before. It actually surprised me when he did start taking shots. A little unorthodox, but he's not a bad shooter at all. 

I struggle to name a team that has 3 good 5s. I would like a really good rebounding 4, but we shall see. 

Sorry, I actually meant a 4 not a 5. I wasn't very clear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

I can't totally disagree with you on KD. He shows signs of understanding the game and he also shows signs of I am going to the rack no matter what and then tries a miracle shot over a big and if he doesn't make it hits the floor hoping for a foul call. He also makes a great shot then hams up to crowd sometimes instead of getting back on D. Once back on D though he plays tough.  I am hoping having a legit SG in front of him he realizes he has to play within the system or he will get minimal PT. If that happens he will be a solid backup.

As for Donaldson it is hard to judge based on statistics alone as he often came in with non-starters with people like KD who once he gets the ball it never leaves his hands cutting down how much control Donaldson has as PG. What I saw was Donaldson was very good in getting ball to big men  who ran the floor but like Greene not having True 3 point shooters it cuts down ability to get assists when players misses the shot you set him up for. 

Like I said having shooters and a Big should help both PG's assuming they realize they need to facilitate rather then dribble out the clock and then throw up a prayer.

• Like 2

Based on current highlights, or what you are hearing from the "pseudo" practices/scrimmages?

Edited by JKClark

22 minutes ago, JKClark said:

Based on... hearing from the "pseudo" practices/scrimmages

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Cheney may be the steal of the class

My assumption based solely on watching UAH is that he’s really a 4 and won’t actually get much time on the wing. Any thoughts on that, after scrimmage intel? 

2 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

My assumption based solely on watching UAH is that he’s really a 4 and won’t actually get much time on the wing. Any thoughts on that, after scrimmage intel? 

Mostly 4 but will play some 3

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

@Dunndone414 A stretch 4 or traditional 4? I don't see him rebounding much. Also since he was a guard til his late growth spurt, he has some guard skills & I would think be a solid wing.

May be a bit of a "stretch" for Johnson to make much of an impact in SEC at the "4". It's a long ways from UAH. Hopefully our coaches can get him ready. We need another "big". Just not sure CJ can fill  that role right now.. I sure hope I'm very wrong.