Johni Broome, Jaylen Williams Test NBA Waters (Update: Both Return To AU)

toddc

NBA Draft Combine # s

Johni Broome, Auburn  Johni Broomewas far and away the most productive player at the G-League Elite Camp, and he showed during the first scrimmage his presence around the basket could be a factor. He measured 6-foot-9 with a 7-foot-0 wing span at 247.2 pounds. 20 points, 11 rebounds, and 2 assists. The production continues.

Way down the list as far as who the best were though in this article anyway.

15 hours ago, toddc said:

NBA Draft Combine # s

Johni Broome, Auburn  Johni Broomewas far and away the most productive player at the G-League Elite Camp, and he showed during the first scrimmage his presence around the basket could be a factor. He measured 6-foot-9 with a 7-foot-0 wing span at 247.2 pounds. 20 points, 11 rebounds, and 2 assists. The production continues.

6’9 eh?? AU will probably list him an even 7’ next year.  Easy math and all lol. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

6’9 eh?? AU will probably list him an even 7’ next year.  Easy math and all lol. 

To be fair, Auburn only lists him as 6’10”, so it’s not that egregious of a stretch. Maybe Auburn measures them with shoes on 

3 hours ago, PotPot said:

To be fair, Auburn only lists him as 6’10”, so it’s not that egregious of a stretch. Maybe Auburn measures them with shoes on 

Yeah that’s actually more of a shot at the football team I think lol. I’ve never understood the fudging of numbers myself. Seems silly once they go to the combine and magically lose 2”. 

5 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Yeah that’s actually more of a shot at the football team I think lol. I’ve never understood the fudging of numbers myself. Seems silly once they go to the combine and magically lose 2”. 

The fudging of the numbers being so prevalent and egregious is the only reason that I pointed out that this instance actually wasn’t. Austin Wiley was a 7 footer until he went to the combine and became, IIRC, 6’8”.

7 hours ago, PotPot said:

The fudging of the numbers being so prevalent and egregious is the only reason that I pointed out that this instance actually wasn’t. Austin Wiley was a 7 footer until he went to the combine and became, IIRC, 6’8”.

Auburn listed Wiley at 6’11” and he measured 6’10” at the combine.

1 hour ago, AUtigers2324 said:

Auburn listed Wiley at 6’11” and he measured 6’10” at the combine.

Thanks for the correction. Maybe I am remembering incorrect information. I knew Auburn listed him as 6’11” but I definitely remember seeing somewhere that his combine measurements were “ 6’8”(might have even been 6’9”) but his wingspan gave him the same reach as a typical 7’ person.” I remember thinking at the time that this guy we/I had been calling a 7 footer was actually the same height as Horace Spencer.

On 5/17/2023 at 7:59 PM, toddc said:

NBA Draft Combine # s

Being that short (as a center) without a great motor might hinder him, but I’m shocked he has a plus wingspan. That and his usually good IQ with putting himself in good position proactively is a strength 

• Like 2

I’d love to see him one more year and truly be a focal point on offense.  Our success last year ran through him.  Better perimeter shooting could open things up more for him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I’d love to see him one more year and truly be a focal point on offense.  Our success last year ran through him.

He started out almost every game very strong.  Then, defenses collapsed on him.  Our shooters could not consistently make shots. 

I think he may be a make or break piece of our 23-24 season. His rim protection is very important to our success, and hopefully he’ll be even better with his offensive game with a year under him.

This young man is a hoss. CBP pulled him in and gave him some coaching and some play.

I would hope that, if he dies decide to move on, the benefit of playing for Auburn attracts other young guys.

On 5/22/2023 at 9:27 PM, icanthearyou said:

He started out almost every game very strong.  Then, defenses collapsed on him.  Our shooters could not consistently make shots. 

He wasn’t really great at finding the open guy consistently, even when he saw where the double was coming from. That’s just one small aspect of his game he could definitely feasibly improve 

• Like 1

As good as he did on offense I always thought he was a smidge timid around the offensive rim.  Felt like he could go stronger to the hole.  Maybe his now known diminutive 6’9” height ( ;) ) made him less confident going up against tall guys.

i want him to have massive pro success but just feel like he could really improve with another strong season.  But what do I know …

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

As good as he did on offense I always thought he was a smidge timid around the offensive rim.  Felt like he could go stronger to the hole.  Maybe his now known diminutive 6’9” height ( ;) ) made him less confident going up against tall guys.

i want him to have massive pro success but just feel like he could really improve with another strong season.  But what do I know …

Houston is a giant of a defense, but they had the type of athletes you’ll see at the next level (on the worst NBA teams), and they could safely foul him no matter how close he was to the rim, because they knew he couldn’t consistently create and ones.

That not wonderful finishing, horrid free throw stroke and budding 3 point game, he has some things he could really stand to show and prove with a whole season. With some guards that should be much better at getting him the ball in positive spots + better shooters, it should be a good space here for him to display said improvement. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Houston is a giant of a defense, but they had the type of athletes you’ll see at the next level (on the worst NBA teams), and they could safely foul him no matter how close he was to the rim, because they knew he couldn’t consistently create and ones.

That not wonderful finishing, horrid free throw stroke and budding 3 point game, he has some things he could really stand to show and prove with a whole season. With some guards that should be much better at getting him the ball in positive spots + better shooters, it should be a good space here for him to display said improvement. 

That’s why the NBA feedback will help him immensely and hopefully light a fire 🔥 in him to return and get better.

59 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Any intel here @ellitor

@Dunndone414 Nope and none is expected right now. He has til next Wednesday to withdraw from the draft. He and his fam are planning to take their full time or near full time in making their decision.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, toddc said:

That’s why the NBA feedback will help him immensely and hopefully light a fire 🔥 in him to return and get better.

I would hope but we’ll just have to see. Flanigan wasn’t nearly as well received last cycle, but he put together a few good showings in the draft process and looked like what we wanted him to…and never took that step to look consistently like that

At this point though, we just need any version of Broome to return lol 

• Like 2

Read what you will into this!

12 minutes ago, Exit310 said:

I hope he makes the right decision.

I think it’s right for him either way.

• Like 3