2023 4* FSU Transfer Wing Matthew Cleveland

toddc

Matthew Cleveland receiving big interest after entering transfer portal

Griffin McVeigh•about 3 hours

Florida State guard Matthew Cleveland looks to shoot Saturday at Miami. (Courtesy of FSU Sports Information)

Matthew Cleveland took to Twitter to announce he would be leaving Florida State and shortly after, officially saw his name entered in the NCAA transfer portal. A former top-25 prospect coming out of high school, Cleveland has put up nice numbers (13.8 points and 7.4 rebounds per game) in college as well. Experienced production is becoming crucial in college basketball and Cleveland has exactly that.

Teams are now reaching out to Cleveland, hoping to add him to next year’s roster. When speaking to On3’s Joe Tipton, Cleveland mentioned he has heard from 17 different schools thus far. Programs from the ACC and SEC mostly make up the list as they are most familiar with the Alpharetta, GA native.

Arkansas

Auburn

Clemson

Georgia

Georgia Tech

Kansas State

Miami

Michigan

Missouri

NC State

Pitt

SMU

Texas

Texas A&M

USF

Wake Forest

Wichita State

According to the On3 transfer portal rankings, Cleveland is one of the top players available. For those who have not committed, the former Florida State star sits at No. 12 overall. There is a reason nearly 20 schools have reached out since officially entering on Tuesday.

12 minutes ago, toddc said:

Florida State guard Matthew Cleveland looks to shoot Saturday at Miami. (Courtesy of FSU Sports Information)

Matthew Cleveland took to Twitter to announce he would be leaving Florida State and shortly after, officially saw his name entered in the NCAA transfer portal. A former top-25 prospect coming out of high school, Cleveland has put up nice numbers (13.8 points and 7.4 rebounds per game) in college as well. Experienced production is becoming crucial in college basketball and Cleveland has exactly that.

Teams are now reaching out to Cleveland, hoping to add him to next year’s roster. When speaking to On3’s Joe Tipton, Cleveland mentioned he has heard from 17 different schools thus far. Programs from the ACC and SEC mostly make up the list as they are most familiar with the Alpharetta, GA native.

Arkansas

Auburn

Clemson

Georgia

Georgia Tech

Kansas State

Miami

Michigan

Missouri

NC State

Pitt

SMU

Texas

Texas A&M

USF

Wake Forest

Wichita State

According to the On3 transfer portal rankings, Cleveland is one of the top players available. For those who have not committed, the former Florida State star sits at No. 12 overall. There is a reason nearly 20 schools have reached out since officially entering on Tuesday.

May be 1 to watch.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, toddc said:

Auburn

He's good

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Don't see anyone sourced say anything yet, but the Auburn zeitgeist seems to feel good about Cleveland 

I would like this very much 😆 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 7:42 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Don't see anyone sourced say anything yet, but the Auburn zeitgeist seems to feel good about Cleveland 

I believe Cleveland is the floor

• Like 1
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

As in we are getting better than Cleveland possibly, or that we are getting more than just Cleveland?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Yup. If they gamble waiting for a player they like better entering the portal after that player gets their draft grade back & withdraws from the draft & goes in the portal I hope it doesn't back fire & miss both when we coud take Cleveland now. @KansasTiger would be ticked.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Haha you know me well, E. If we can take Cleveland now, I say we take him.

Oh yea.  Take him now and figure the rest out later LOL

We would be foolish not to take Cleveland now.  He looks like a mini Jabari Smith and is the perfect fit for us right now

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

If he's considered the floor then I'm not sure what to say other than this would be amazing. Florida St. had a run of great wings like Scottie Barnes, Patrick Williams, etc. that were not necessarily the best long range shooters, but were super athletic and long, that could play excellent D and can get tough buckets at times.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland ends up being the best player on the team next year and seems to be a fringe draft prospect at the moment. I hope we go all in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

If he's considered the floor then I'm not sure what to say other than this would be amazing. Florida St. had a run of great wings like Scottie Barnes, Patrick Williams, etc. that were not necessarily the best long range shooters, but were super athletic and long, that could play excellent D and can get tough buckets at times.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland ends up being the best player on the team next year and seems to be a fringe draft prospect at the moment. I hope we go all in. 

He looks like a quality shooter.  20.1 points a game!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lotto said:

He looks like a quality shooter.  20.1 points a game!!

20.1? That's stellar, but I'm seeing 13.8 ppg and 35% from 3. I'm not saying he's a bad 3 pt shooter (especially compared to our team last year), but more of a tough bucket, athletic, defensive guy than a pure shooter. his highlights from the last 2 years include a lot of slashing drives, backcuts for dunks, transition finishes, and-1's, and last second buzzer beaters. Not a lot of jump shots or assists. and he'll love playing in the Jungle after all those Fla St games with no crowds.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4897007/matthew-cleveland

and this video showing his last second shot to upset Miami is great

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35735040/florida-state-rallies-25-stun-no-13-miami

Edited by HAPvsOA
added link for Miami game

2 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

20.1? That's stellar, but I'm seeing 13.8 ppg and 35% from 3. I'm not saying he's a bad 3 pt shooter (especially compared to our team last year), but more of a tough bucket, athletic, defensive guy than a pure shooter. his highlights from the last 2 years include a lot of slashing drives, backcuts for dunks, transition finishes, and-1's, and last second buzzer beaters. Not a lot of jump shots or assists. and he'll love playing in the Jungle after all those Fla St games with no crowds.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4897007/matthew-cleveland

and this video showing his last second shot to upset Miami is great

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35735040/florida-state-rallies-25-stun-no-13-miami

Watch some of his highlights I saw a fair amount of jump shots if I remember correctly 

9 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

UNC reported to be pursuing Cleveland. This will be a tough pull. Maybe he wants to stay close to Atlanta. 

ACC not what it used to be

56 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

ACC not what it used to be

It's still UNC tho

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

UNC reported to be pursuing Cleveland. This will be a tough pull. Maybe he wants to stay close to Atlanta. 

@Dunndone414 Not sure if you missed it but AU doesn't appear to be all in on him yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Dunndone414 Not sure if you missed it but AU doesn't appear to be all in on him yet.

I know ppl are saying there are "higher" targets and possibly people who fall out of the NBA evals....playing a risky game here for a pretty good player

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I know ppl are saying there are "higher" targets and possibly people who fall out of the NBA evals....playing a risky game here for a pretty good player

Especially when you have a pretty…meh roster on paper right now. I don’t even know if it’s in championship contention even if Auburn’s staff got some super hero out of the draft 

now if they’re waiting on a stud 2024 guy and punting on to that year, I’d be more fine with that (although I still wouldn’t completely get the logic) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We have no reason not to be.  I don't see how we couldn't be all in on him.  Please explain more because we need him!

• Like 1