Greatest 10 year era in Auburn history

Win4AU

Silly Season content

83-93 peak Dye Era and Terry’ AUttitude, Bo Heisman, multiple SEC championships, probably the peak of the Iron Bowl.

2004-2014 2 perfect seasons, Cam Heisman, Natty, 2 undefeated seasons, 3 SEC titles, 2 national title game appearances.  

I can’t speak on the Shug years but seemed pretty up and down.

My vote is 04-14

Edited by Win4AU
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Silly Season content

83-93 peak Dye Era and Terry’ AUttitude, Bo Heisman, multiple SEC championships, probably the peak of the Iron Bowl.

2004-2014 2 perfect seasons, Cam Heisman, Natty, 2 undefeated seasons, 3 SEC titles, 2 national title game appearances.  

My vote is 04-14

I was super spoiled as a student from 2004 — 2010. Of course I’m biased and will throw that out there. It was a riot watching Auburn and being there in person, we were willing and able to take on anyone any time (except for 2008, that offense was offensive…but the defense was so good we were still in almost any game). It’s too bad they didn’t have playoffs during that time, I think we could have taken home at least 1 title (for sure ‘04), if not squeaked out or played for another somewhere in there.

I was just a baby/toddler when Big Bo played. I’ve seen flashbacks of the first Iron Bowl in Auburn, I can only imagine…that musta been unreal to see on TV, even more so to witness in person. Let us young whippersnappers know about it you old timers! No matter the highs or lows, it’s always great to be an Auburn Tiger!

Edited by AUINSY

Wasn't there for the Dye run, but the accomplishments between 04-14 are pretty damn impressive. I wonder how that stretch compares with other teams in that same time frame

04-14 is probably the greatest stretch of relevancy we'll ever have, and based on what was accomplished during the stretch, it'd probably be the same for most programs. Multiple Heisman contending players, handful of great Iron Bowls, arguably the best game in CFB history.

With that also coinciding with the time right before the obv decline of CFB viewership, I can't imagine Auburn having another bigger stretch of CFB relevancy ever again tbh 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

04-14 is probably the greatest stretch of relevancy we'll ever have, and based on what was accomplished during the stretch, it'd probably be the same for most programs. Multiple Heisman contending players, handful of great Iron Bowls, arguably the best game in CFB history.

With that also coinciding with the time right before the obv decline of CFB viewership, I can't imagine Auburn having another bigger stretch of CFB relevancy ever again tbh 

The bar for relevancy now will be playoff appearances. I think we can finish top 12 3 out of every 5 years. A program of our caliber should be hitting that mark at the least IMO

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Silly Season content

My vote is 04-14

I believe the Dye years were the best. I base my opinion on how tough the game was then and how good we really were. That was the start of AU getting out from under the Bama curse. Yes, 04-14 had some great years and produced 2 undefeated seasons and a NC, but to me, it all started with Dye. We haven’t had a great coach since then and of course, just like the pros, the rules are vastly different now. I saw 4 or 5 games during the Dye era. I saw 4 or 5 during the 04-14 era as well. Just my take. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

The bar for relevancy now will be playoff appearances. I think we can finish top 12 3 out of every 5 years. A program of our caliber should be hitting that mark at the least IMO

Eh, I don’t think being a patsy 12 that get slapped up will do much for you, especially when multiple group of 5s could be there. No one remembers 2015 Mich St or 2016 tOSU.

Now if Auburn is dominating when in those appearances, sure. I don’t think CFB is as prominent as it was though (nationally at least). We were a top 10ish brand in the aforementioned stretch in the last few good years of the sport 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

No one remembers 2015 Mich St or 2016 tOSU.

It's truly sad that you have to make it all the way to and even win the NC for people to be happy at this point. It just didn't feel like this in the BCS era.

Edited by AUwent

17 minutes ago, AUwent said:

It's truly sad that you have to make it all the way to and even win the NC for people to be happy at this point. It just didn't feel like this in the BCS era.

Well I think you have to compete in the playoff game to be notable at this point, but yeah, the coverage of the sport has whittled down to the 5-6 money makers and the natty. 
I don’t think ESPN is the only factor in the decline of the sport (no one wants to watch 4 hour games with an hour of commercials), but their SEC & CFP grandstanding has isolated too many casuals. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/12/2023 at 3:15 PM, Win4AU said:

Silly Season content

My vote is 04-14

Tough one, but I lean towards the 80’s run. If not for Pat Dye, everything after him probably doesn’t play out..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hard to compare those two time frames equally due to the different ways champions were determined.   83 team was a National Championship team in some eyes and got past over in polls.   93 team was undefeated and championship contenders if not for probation.   

04 was a great team and deserved a chance at a title.   2010 was a great year and 2013 was also (although more luck and unlucky at the same time).   I would have to say, overall, 04 - 2014 was the better run.  

• Like 1

Over all wins considered, 04 -14. 2004 was the national championship team and I don't care who disagrees with me. UT got all their momentum in the SEC 🏆 game after the score of the OU - OSU game was announced in Atlanta. But Pat Dyes run made people BELIEVE that AU was a contender. For the first time in a long while, excluding the Pat Sullivan years. But 2010 was a wonderful thing. Went to every home game and smoked a big Cuban cigar in Myrtle Beach when that kick sailed through!!!

• Love 1

The 2004-2014 period (despite winning the Natty in 2010 - an awesome year), also included two clunker years (2008 and 2012) where coaches lost the team's confidence and were ultimately fired.

The 2011 and 2014 teams were not Dye-caliber teams either.  The 2004-2007 teams were very good with the occasional screw-up against LSU and UGA.

I was extremely proud of the 2009 team and believe we were robbed of the Iron Bowl win because SEC officials wanted UAT in the national championship game.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TigerVII said:

The 2004-2014 period (despite winning the Natty in 2010 - an awesome year), also included two clunker years (2008 and 2012) where coaches lost the team's confidence and were ultimately fired.

The 2011 and 2014 teams were not Dye-caliber teams either.  The 2004-2007 teams were very good with the occasional screw-up against LSU and UGA.

I was extremely proud of the 2009 team and believe we were robbed of the Iron Bowl win because SEC officials wanted UAT in the national championship game.

Great points. I’ll also never forgive Malzahn for getting Arkansas to run all over us. I think we were #2 in the polls and Arky came in and ran wild and beat us on our home field with Darren McFadden and/or Felix Jones. Had it not been for maybe that one game, perhaps another, I think we coulda gone places that year. 

2 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Great points. I’ll also never forgive Malzahn for getting Arkansas to run all over us. I think we were #2 in the polls and Arky came in and ran wild and beat us on our home field with Darren McFadden and/or Felix Jones. Had it not been for maybe that one game, perhaps another, I think we coulda gone places that year. 

We lost 2 games in 2006, and both losses were blowouts in Jordan-Hare - one to Arkansas and one to unranked UGA.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TigerVII said:

We lost 2 games in 2006, and both losses were blowouts in Jordan-Hare - one to Arkansas and one to unranked UGA.

That’s right, thanks for the reminder. UGA’s had our number this century. I think we led the series in the early 00’s, but clearly they are a good bit ahead now. 

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

The next 10 years

I sure hope so! I think it will be good. I don’t think we’ll come out with a bang this year like we did in ‘13, but I do think we’ll have a 2009-type showing, which would be totally fine with me. Maybe 2024 will be more like our 2010/2013 (hopefully more like the 2010-type)

On 5/12/2023 at 4:25 PM, AUwent said:

‘83-‘93 and ‘04-‘14 aren’t 10 years. 😃

Maybe it should be 83-92 and 2004-2013?  That'd blow up the first one and would make the 2nd even stronger. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 9:33 PM, TigerVII said:

They both hurt badly. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

They both hurt badly. 

The UGA one especially.  They weren't good that year and it was a dreaded 11am JP game.  If Auburn wins that game and beats Bama the next week they'd have gone on to play Florida in the SECG in a winner plays for the natty game.  Urban Meyer has never beaten Auburn. 

52 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The UGA one especially.  They weren't good that year and it was a dreaded 11am JP game.  If Auburn wins that game and beats Bama the next week they'd have gone on to play Florida in the SECG in a winner plays for the natty game.  Urban Meyer has never beaten Auburn. 

The Arkansas game hurt too. Their RB 2 scorched our defense. Both were very depressing. 

On 5/12/2023 at 4:03 PM, Tiger said:

One would think that, right?  I mean a program of our caliber should've been able to accomplish more than what they've accomplished in their history.  

IMHO, to make the 12 team CFP a team would have to have a 10-win regular season at minimum.  Outside of the Pat Dye era, when has Auburn logged 3 10-win seasons in a 5 yr stretch? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

The Arkansas game hurt too. Their RB 2 scorched our defense. Both were very depressing. 

Arkansas hurt but Auburn turned around and beat #1 or #2 Florida the next week.  Also that Arkansas team was undefeated till pretty late in the year so Auburn would have ended the year with 1 loss.  That UGA team was 6-5 with a freshman Matthew Stafford at QB. 

• Like 1