Bud Light sales still tanking

TexasTiger

22 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I can’t imagine not drinking them over marketing, especially something so minimal in scope of things.

I thought the thing would be short lived and over Memorial Day weekend. Was wrong. My favorite beer salesman confirmed Bud Light way down at his place in Auburn. 

https://www.thestreet.com/restaurants/bud-lights-4th-of-july-tweet-shows-it-lost-the-war-for-america

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I thought the thing would be short lived and over Memorial Day weekend. Was wrong. My favorite beer salesman confirmed Bud Light way down at his place in Auburn. 

https://www.thestreet.com/restaurants/bud-lights-4th-of-july-tweet-shows-it-lost-the-war-for-america

I suspect the folks that moved on are gone. They need to stop any hemorrhaging and come up with an effective campaign. I wouldn’t make a play for the folks who are gone, just value the still loyal and build on it.

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I suspect the folks that moved on are gone. They need to stop any hemorrhaging and come up with an effective campaign. I wouldn’t make a play for the folks who are gone, just value the still loyal and build on it.

Have to agree. Hard to believe supposedly great marketing people put themselves in this position.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Have to agree. Hard to believe supposedly great marketing people put themselves in this position.

I would have to think long and hard before hiring someone from an Ivy League school to promote a product to the masses. Niche products, sure. Bud Light? Asinine.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

There’s nothing more difficult in marketing than resetting a brand.  Schlitz beer was as big a bud for decades. Screwed around with their recipe to lower costs, got a skanky beer brand, frantically went back to old recipe but was too late - bad brand, never recovered. Cadillac ->old persons car. They’ve spent billions in trying to rebrand. No change.

In my experience buds has got a huge problem. At best. Ironically the Maga guys that have primarily killed it have created a new #1. Modelo - a Mexican beer😇

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

from an Ivy League school to promote a product to the masses.

Absolutely. Thing is like beer or not seems historically that AB always did a great job in the marketing department. 

This is a culmination of today’s wokeness in general. We are tired of having it shoved in our face constantly. AB is paying the piper for that. I’m ok with it. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

This is a culmination of today’s wokeness in general. We are tired of having it shoved in our face constantly. AB is paying the piper for that. I’m ok with it. 

How is a sponsored post having it shoved in your face?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, arein0 said:

How is a sponsored post having it shoved in your face?

Read my first sentence again. 

23 hours ago, arein0 said:

It is organized though. If it wasn't, most of the people participating wouldn't have seen or heard of the ad as the only place to see it was on Dylans social media page.

And it went viral. Going viral doesnt mean there is any organization to it at all.

17 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

There’s nothing more difficult in marketing than resetting a brand.  Schlitz beer was as big a bud for decades. Screwed around with their recipe to lower costs, got a skanky beer brand, frantically went back to old recipe but was too late - bad brand, never recovered. Cadillac ->old persons car. They’ve spent billions in trying to rebrand. No change.

In my experience buds has got a huge problem. At best. Ironically the Maga guys that have primarily killed it have created a new #1. Modelo - a Mexican beer😇

35 years ago I got to see GM's Brand Management for the future. It was 1988 and the idea was to "Go Upbrand."

Cadillac was to take on the Mercedes S Class and BMW 7 Series. 😝
Buick was the new Cadillac
Olds was to be the Road car, Think BMW 3s and 5s 😝
Pontiac was to be American and Sporty Imaged (Trans Am)
Chevrolet was to be fighting Toyota and Honda for smaller economy cars and lower-end family sized. 😝

It all failed. Olds and Pontiac are gone. 🤨
Cadillac is not a top-tier luxury by any means. 😆
Buick is still just a Buick.
Chevrolet still cant make money on small cars. They can only build trucks and PCVs it seems. 😉

BTW, Sears was doing the same thing, Going Up Market. We all see how that ended. Sears is all but dead. Sold off everything worth a damn now. America's Best Retailer is a victim of vulture capitalism. 

Marketing people do dumb s*** all the time. 

Edited by DKW 86

16 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Win-Win here.

The cost of Virtue Signalling corps is ruined sales.

• Like 2

Coke's misstep with New Coke in 1985 was so bad that it almost seemed intentional (allowed them to re-brand as "Coca-Coca Classic", complete with clothing, in 1986), but they did bounce back pretty quickly.  I worked at my hometown's newly opened Burger King in the summer of '85 and my impression of New Coke was "um, if I wanted Pepsi, I would buy Pepsi."

I don't see this sort of recovery happening with Bud Light, but who knows.  Much different times now, to say the least.

I'm not boycotting Bud Light, because I'm not sure I have purchased any since I was a broke-ass college student...they did step in it, and they are neck-deep in some stinky sales poop numbers.  Their rank-and-file employees should be royally pissed with their upper management for doubling and tripling down on bad decisions, because it is costing some of them their jobs.

11 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Coke's misstep with New Coke in 1985 was so bad that it almost seemed intentional (allowed them to re-brand as "Coca-Coca Classic", complete with clothing, in 1986), but they did bounce back pretty quickly.  I worked at my hometown's newly opened Burger King in the summer of '85 and my impression of New Coke was "um, if I wanted Pepsi, I would buy Pepsi."

I don't see this sort of recovery happening with Bud Light, but who knows.  Much different times now, to say the least.

I'm not boycotting Bud Light, because I'm not sure I have purchased any since I was a broke-ass college student...they did step in it, and they are neck-deep in some stinky sales poop numbers.  Their rank-and-file employees should be royally pissed with their upper management for doubling and tripling down on bad decisions, because it is costing some of them their jobs.

I don’t buy Coke products  anymore either(knowingly, they own a lot of brands) . In 2020 they virtue signaled in writing to their employees “ be less white”. **** them too. Bending the knee to wokenss is just unacceptable to me. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t buy Coke products  anymore either(knowingly, they own a lot of brands) . In 2020 they virtue signaled in writing to their employees “ be less white”. **** them too. Bending the knee to wokenss is just unacceptable to me. 

But you work for a company that displays the LGBTQ+ flag during pride month :poke:

Not that it’ll change anything but I think people often see conspiracy where often it’s just a screw up or laziness. Bud situation was probably just a vp in marketing trying to do what marketing always does - trying to substantiate their budget by growing share in a demographic. And totally misread their consumer base.

Unfortunately,  by conservative customers “punishing” the idiot in marketing, the people that will directly bear the brunt of it (layoffs) are the American workers (yep, probably conservatives) who actually make the stuff. Again, the new #1 is now a foreign beer.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Win-Win here.

The cost of Virtue Signalling corps is ruined sales.

It appears Dylan was the tipping point in the ESG corporate mantra.  Good for her/him.  The only thing she/he has been good for.

• Like 2

They should just buy a super bowl ad and have two hot lesbians making out.  Their sales would likely sky rocket based on the purchasing decisions of the same people that no longer buy their product.  It isn't as though soccer moms were loading up on the Bud Light in the first place.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

They should just buy a super bowl ad and have two hot lesbians making out.  Their sales would likely sky rocket based on the purchasing decisions of the same people that no longer buy their product.  It isn't as though soccer moms were loading up on the Bud Light in the first place.

Maybe Bud Light should just apologize for the ad and be done with it?  But then there ESG rating would tank and we can’t have that.

• Thanks 1

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Maybe Bud Light should just apologize for the ad and be done with it?  But then there ESG rating would tank and we can’t have that.

I don't even know what an ESG rating is.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

I don't even know what an ESG rating is.

An ESG score is a way to assign a quantitative metric, such as a numerical score or letter rating, to the environmental, social and governance (ESG) efforts undertaken by a specific organization.

ESG efforts have become increasingly important in recent years as awareness around the topic has grown.

https://www.techtarget.com/sustainability/definition/ESG-score#:~:text=An ESG score is a,around the topic has grown.

8 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Not that it’ll change anything but I think people often see conspiracy where often it’s just a screw up or laziness. Bud situation was probably just a vp in marketing trying to do what marketing always does - trying to substantiate their budget by growing share in a demographic. And totally misread their consumer base.

Unfortunately,  by conservative customers “punishing” the idiot in marketing, the people that will directly bear the brunt of it (layoffs) are the American workers (yep, probably conservatives) who actually make the stuff. Again, the new #1 is now a foreign beer.

The company has not yet firmly established this. They are half ass changing strategy and it’s not helping. They have to make a bold move. 

8 hours ago, arein0 said:

But you work for a company that displays the LGBTQ+ flag during pride month :poke:

That’s not the half of it. But, They keep out of the advertising when it comes to this woke s***. I would not mind seeing them back peddling on it. I’m 50 and work usually 50 hours a week for over 10 years. A little slow down would be ok. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

An ESG score is a way to assign a quantitative metric, such as a numerical score or letter rating, to the environmental, social and governance (ESG) efforts undertaken by a specific organization.

ESG efforts have become increasingly important in recent years as awareness around the topic has grown.

https://www.techtarget.com/sustainability/definition/ESG-score#:~:text=An ESG score is a,around the topic has grown.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

That’s your problem. 

In terms of risk assessments and a multitude of other factors that impact risk management etc, I know what that is.  However, ESG covers everything imaginable and I don't believe that this issue impacts that score in any meaningful way.