Payton Thorne is QB1

RunInRed

It seems pretty obvious that it was a difficult decision.  We are blessed with some talented young men at that position. There’s a not so hidden message in there for Robby.   I hope he’s listening.  You never know how the season will play out. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

It seems pretty obvious that it was a difficult decision

I'm not sure it was

• Like 2

Happy for Thorne and hope he excels and that the others  accept their role for now. Man, Hugh sounds and looks really tired. 

1 minute ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Well, then, it seems pretty obvious that CHF wants it to look like it was a difficult decision! 😁

Correct.  He's manipulating and calculative

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not sure it was

I don't think it was either. As soon as he put his name in the portal and signed to Auburn he was the starter then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Correct.  He's manipulating and calculative

You don’t think he cares about these kids? I happen to think he does, but he’s got a job to do and that’s win games.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

You don’t think he cares about these kids? I happen to think he does, but he’s got a job to do and that’s win games.  

I think he does.  Do you think it sounds better and to make those kids feel better to tell the truth that it was easy and it was always going to be Thorne or go in front of the camera and tell the world it was a hard decision, these kids competed, etc 

Just now, W.E.D said:

I think he does.  Do you think it sounds better and to make those kids feel better to tell the truth that it was easy and it was always going to be Thorne or go in front of the camera and tell the world it was a hard decision, these kids competed, etc 

I just think he is doing what every other coach in football does.  Maybe he may have known it was Thorne, but kept the competition alive to make all 3 QBs better.  If that’s manipulative and calculating, okay. I thought you might have been implying it was a mean-spirited thing to do. Not if the other QBs benefitted from the competition.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Wait, how many years of eligibility does Thorne have? I was under the impression he only had one?

2 years. This year and one more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Well, then, it seems pretty obvious that CHF wants it to look like it was a difficult decision! 😁

Coaches want players to earn their starting spot, not be handed it as soon as they transfer in. Cam earned it over Trotter. Marshall earned it over Johnson. Stidham earned it over White. Wasn’t a close competition in any of those cases, but they all competed to earn it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Thorne with another year after this, Brown redshirting this year and White coming in next year, I just don’t see one of (HG or RA) sticking around. Maybe not now but by Spring. JMO. 

• Like 3

I'd like to see the offense produce enough in the first 3 games to allow for Ashford & Geriner to get some quality reps in the 2nd halves of those games.  If Thorne becomes injured at any time in the season, AU will need the other QBs ready to step in & deliver without missing a beat.  It's not easy being the backup but they still have to prepare like they'll be put in at any time for any reason.  I'm ready for the seaon to start!

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Thorne with another year after this, Brown redshirting this year and White coming in next year, I just don’t see one of (HG or RA) sticking around. Maybe not now but by Spring. JMO. 

Yeah no chance Holden is here by then unless injury (or poor Payton play) allows him to be the man before the end of this season. Ashford could probably get a spot at UAB or something like that with a grad year, but I don’t know for a fact if he’ll leave 

2 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I just think he is doing what every other coach in football does.  Maybe he may have known it was Thorne, but kept the competition alive to make all 3 QBs better.  If that’s manipulative and calculating, okay. I thought you might have been implying it was a mean-spirited thing to do. Not if the other QBs benefitted from the competition.  

Yes and as you said they are all calculating and manipulative. 

Every single thing he's saying to the media has a purpose. He's not just saying random things. It's okay and it's good

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I don't think it was either. As soon as he put his name in the portal and signed to Auburn he was the starter then

Agreed. Chances were, RA was not going from a 49% completion rate to any further over maybe 54-55%. Not while learning a new O scheme. He will definitely get in games but he was still way too raw to win the starting job. From the press conference, sounds like HG could take over next year, simply due to his ability. Then again, we do have Walker White coming in. I am all in behind PT. Hoping for 7 to 8 wins this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Wishing Ashford the best, hope he stays engaged going forward (I’m sure he will) 

Ashford is going to have a ball in this offense. Can Griener hold on? Thorne will do well I would say like a Bo Wallace in OMs offense 

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Ashford is going to have a ball in this offense. Can Griener hold on? Thorne will do well I would say like a Bo Wallace in OMs offense 

There’s definitely value he can bring to the offense in a limited capacity, but it takes mental engagement to do that. Hopefully he’s willing to contribute in such a way, which has seemed to be the case historically speaking 

• Like 1

Brother Hugh was pissed for sure about that info getting out. We got a mole in the camp 👀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Brother Hugh was pissed for sure about that info getting out. We got a mole in the camp 👀

There is a rumor from another board that an off the field staffer was fired over it.

• Like 1