9.7.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

si.com

Auburn football: Is a two-quarterback system sustainable?

Daniel Locke
~3 minutes

Are there any notable examples of teams with two-quarterback systems finding success? What has Auburn's history been with the issue?

There's an old saying that goes, "If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one."

That is not always the case, however. I used a five-quarterback system in my Rutgers dynasty on NCAA Football 14 and won four straight National Championships. 

The idea has been successful in the real world as well. 

Coaches such as Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer have benefited from it. 

Chris Leak was responsible for getting the 2006 National Championship Florida Gators up the field and Tim Tebow would often come in to finish the drive. Tebow would typically pick up yards on the ground. Sound familiar?

There are also examples of similar systems not working out, a few directly involving Auburn.

In 2015, Jeremy Johnson and Sean White shared snaps for the Tigers. Auburn, who was ranked in the top 10 at the beginning of the season, quickly fell off and ended up finishing 7-6 with a victory over Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl.

More often than not, teams that run an offense with two quarterbacks end up falling short of the expectations for them. 

If an offense does not have a true identity, they tend to struggle.

With that being said, having a mobile quarterback like Robby Ashford to plug into option packages can greatly benefit a quarterback like Payton Thorne who is more of a pocket passer.

Head coach Hugh Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery have a lot at their disposal to put together a productive offense this season.

• Thanks 1

saturdaydownsouth.com

Hugh Freeze discusses ‘different strengths’ of Payton Thorne, other Auburn QBs

Rolando Rosa | 13 hours ago

~3 minutes

Hugh Freeze earned a 59-14 victory in his head coaching debut at Auburn in Week 1. The magnitude of the win gave Freeze a chance to utilize 3 quarterbacks and he was pleased with the performances by all of them.

This was Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne’s first appearance as Auburn’s starting quarterback, as he finished with 141 yards and a touchdown. Freeze explains why Thorne is the right fit for Auburn at the moment.

“Payton continues to show that he has a great understanding of things, he has great leadership qualities, can move well enough with his legs and obviously I think he’s a bit more accurate in his decisions and his passing than the others,” Freeze said.

Freshman Holden Geriner completed both of his passes for 59 yards. Freeze sees a ton of potential in the Savannah, Georgia native.

“I like all 3 of them, they all have different strengths, and I thought Holden came in and even though we didn’t throw it much because of the score, he was very, very accurate when he did throw it and I’ve said all along, he might be the most natural passer we have,” Freeze said.

Meanwhile, sophomore Robby Ashford went 2-for-6 with 3 yards. Yet the box score isn’t indicative of dynamic ability of Ashford.

“Then Robby is like I’ve said is one of the most talented athletes that I’ve ever coached, and he has to be a part of the plan week in, week out, because he’s just different and they all seem to be handling it well right now and obviously we haven’t faced much adversity yet. But hopefully they’ll continue to do that.”

Auburn will aim to go to 2-0 when they travel to face Cal on Sept. 9 at 10:30 p.m. (ESPN).

• Thanks 1

lindyssports.com

Rushing attacks take center stage as Cal hosts Auburn | Lindy's Sports

~3 minutes

FLM-Logo-GreenWhite-150-79x78.png

Field Level Media

September 06, 2023 at 7:53 pm.

Two powerful rushing attacks will be on display when California hosts Auburn on Saturday night in Berkeley.

Behind a rebuilt offensive line, led by Western Kentucky transfer Gunner Britton, East Carolina transfer Avery Jones and Tulsa transfer Dillon Wade, the Tigers (1-0) ran for 289 yards and six touchdowns in a 59-14 win over UMass.

Three of those scores came via the legs of backup quarterback Robby Ashford. But talented runners Damari Alston, Sean Jackson and Jeremiah Cobb also scored as Auburn averaged 6.6 yards per carry.

Despite the success on the ground against the Minutemen, the Tigers will face a much stiffer challenge against a Cal defense that limited North Texas to just 41 yards rushing in an impressive 58-21 throttling of the Mean Green.

If the Tigers struggle to move it on the ground against the Golden Bears (1-0), Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne may have to play a much larger role in the passing attack after he completed 10 of 17 passes for 141 yards and a score in his Auburn debut.

Regardless of how it plays out, Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze knows his team will be in for a challenge.

“Cal is talented,” Freeze said in Monday’s press conference. “(Coach Justin) Wilcox is a great defensive mind. They are very sound on that side of the ball. Not flashy but sound. Offensively they’re extremely scary. That tailback … he’s one of the best ones I’ve seen.”

Like Auburn, Cal had a lot of success running the ball in its season-opening win over North Texas. The Bears’ ground attack finished with 357 yards and six touchdowns.

Dynamic runner Jaydn Ott averaged 9.4 yards per carry and finished with 188 yards and two scores. Isaiah Ifanse tallied 54 yards and three TDs.

TCU transfer quarterback Sam Jackson V won Cal’s starting quarterback job in fall camp, but he left the game against North Texas in the second quarter with a left arm injury (non-throwing). Ben Finley replaced Jackson and completed 24 of 34 passes for 289 yards and a touchdown.

Jackson returned to practice this week and is listed as day-to-day, according to Wilcox. Starting center Matthew Cindric is also questionable for Saturday’s game.

“I suppose everything is on the table,” Wilcox said when asked about playing two quarterbacks. “We’ll see where it all goes.”

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

California RB Jaydn Ott takes jab at Auburn ahead of Week 2 matchup

Carter Bahns
6–7 minutes

The Golden Bears' running back made bold statements about Saturday's game.

California running back Jaydn Ott is among the most prolific playmakers Auburn will face in this weekend’s matchup, and the versatile ballcarrier made his thoughts on the upcoming game known, stating multiple times that the Golden Bears will reign supreme. Ott, a sophomore, played a massive role in Cal’s Week 1 win over North Texas, accounting for more than 200 yards of total offense. He doubled down on his claim Wednesday that his team will improve to 2-0 when they host the Tigers.

“There's a lot of focus on the name ‘Auburn.’ But what I’ve seen on film is not really in comparison to what their name is,” Ott said in his media availability. “I just want to get that into my guys' heads that a name doesn't mean anything. At the end of the day, they’re still human, and we have just as much of a chance as they do to go in there and get the win.”

The Golden Bears’ most recent meeting with an SEC opponent came in 2019, when they traveled to Ole Miss and came away with a 28-20 victory over the Rebels. A win Saturday would put another feather in their cap and improve the Pac-12’s record against the SEC this year to 2-0, after Utah defeated Florida a week ago.

“It would be very encouraging when we do get this win,” Ott said, “but I feel like our focus is going to be not letting it get to our head and getting too big-headed after we do get the dub.”

When a reporter stated that Ott seemed confident that Cal would take down the Tigers, the running back responded: “Yeah, we are.”

Ott’s individual resume is impressive, as he began his second year in Berkeley with a dominant performance as the focal point of the Cal offense. He handled 20 carries for 188 yards and found the end zone twice while averaging 9.4 yards per touch. The capable receiver also caught one pass for 13 yards.

A True Freshman All-American last season, Ott played in all 12 games and started 10 during his debut campaign. He led all Pac-12 freshmen and ranked sixth nationally in yards per carry (5.3), sixth in receptions per game (3.8) and seventh in rushing yards per game (74.8).

“It ain’t like they have to create some special field. Just run inside zone or outside zone or counter with him and if it’s semi-blocked well, he’s a handful,” Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze said of Ott. “He’s big, he’s strong, he’s fast, he’s got great vision. He is really, really talented.”

Get football and recruiting scoop on your favorite college team for $1 for first month.

Ott, a Norco (Calif.) product, was a four-star prospect in the 2022 recruiting class. He ranked as the No. 23 running back in the nation and the No. 22 player in the state of California and chose the Golden Bears over offers from USC, Wisconsin, Oregon, Georgia, Nebraska and multiple other Power Five programs.

• Thanks 1

Behind enemy bylines: California

6–7 minutes

Before Auburn takes on California on Saturday, The Auburn Plainsman's sports editor, Jacob Waters, sat down with The Daily Californian’s football beat writer, Kyle Ngo, to ask some questions about this weekend's contest.

Waters: What are some basic things Auburn fans should know about the Cal football team?

Ngo: “So we have new quarterback. Our top wide receiver and our top linebacker transferred out. Our top safety went to the draft, so it was a lot of new faces, and we also have a new offensive coordinator this year. So, it was a lot of uncertainties about whether this team would be better or worse than last year but I think I mean yesterday (Saturday) was really good. They won 58-21 which I think was really surprising and felt like the most optimistic of us. tThere was like a whole QB battle during training camp and stuff, but they had gone with Sam Jackson V, who was a TCU transfer, and he was he looked pretty good on the first drive. But then I think it was a couple minutes into the second quarter he hurt his shoulder on a design run, so they had to bring in the backup which was Ben Finley a transfer from NC State. And he was solid… he's not like pulling you out of the water with any like amazing deep those or anything, but he's making the right reads. He's making the correct passes, and I think he only had like one bad pass that was picked, but other than that, like he was pretty solid. The main part of our offense is our run game. Jade Ott, he's a true sophomore. He was really good last year, and then he's looks like he got even better this year. I think he had like close to 200 yards. It kind of just dominated on the run game yesterday, which did surprise a couple of people because our offensive coordinator Jake Spavital, he was OC in 2016, and it was like a huge air raid offense with Davis Webb. And then he also coached like Johnny Manziel and Kyler Murray at like their respective schools, so I think a lot of people expected a lot of passing in the offense. But then I think he recognized that not only was Sam Jackson like kind of new, because he had never played much at TCU. And then also when the backup came in, like it's not really running with the starters, so he kind of just kept running with the rushing game and it worked really well.

Waters: Do you think running the ball will be the plan next week, especially with Sam Jackson V potentially out?

Ngo: “I have to imagine I mean. I think it was really good that also, since it was such a blowout, they were able to get a lot of different running backs some touches. So that means like Ott and our backup, Isaiah Ifanse, were able to be a lot more rested for this game. And then, I mean, just what I think like, as you said, how Auburn's run defense was a more suspect than the past defense. I think it would make sense for them to stick to the run.”

Waters: Who are some players on offense that Auburn fans should look out for?

Ngo: “Definitely Jaden Ott. He's, I think he's our best offensive player, and I think a lot of fans would probably agree with me as well. And then our top wide receiver is Jeremiah Hunter. I think he was our wide receiver two, last year, but our top one transferred out to UCLA. So he's the number one now and he connected with Sam Jackson on like our second play of the game for a touchdown. But then, when Sam Jackson got hurt, he kind of settled down a little bit ,and he only ended up with like, maybe 60 yards. So hopefully, whether it's Sam Jackson coming back or he gets a whole week of reps with Ben Finley. I would expect them to have a little more action.”

Waters: Who are some players on defense that Auburn fans should look out for?

Ngo: “Our captain is a sixth-year, Jackson Sirmon. He’s actually the son of our defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon. He played at Washington first when he transferred here as a grad transfer, and he had a really good game yesterday. He had a sack and a bunch of tackles. He's definitely like the main guy in our [defense], and I think just like that entire linebacker core was very solid yesterday. They had two out of the three of our interceptions, so I think that that middle of the field is definitely one of our strong points. And then I know a lot of people have been high on our safeties, and his name's Patrick Morris and Craig Woodson. Both of them were, I think, rated pretty highly… I think similar to you guys, our d-line is a little rough.

Waters: What are some weaknesses on for Cal on offense and defense?

Ngo: “On defense, we had a lot of trouble with some deep passes. I think the corners were kind of getting burnt a little bit by some receivers. But they did adjust to that and just by bringing the safeties over to help a little more, and then our pass rush is not very good. But we weren't very good last year. I think we only had two sacks yesterday.

Waters: Your prediction for the game?

Ngo: “It's definitely going to be a close game, I think. I'll go with an upset at home. I think there's a lot there's gonna be a lot of people at the game for a home opener, and we have a gold out, supposedly. So I'll say that there's going to be an upset 31-28.

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Behind enemy bylines: California” on social media.

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

Phillips Wednesday evening musings

Phillip Marshall
6–8 minutes

Transfer portal’s impact on college football

When Hugh Freeze arrived as Auburn’s head football coach last December, what greeted him must have been frightening. Defections and almost two years of lost recruiting had left the roster so depleted that competing in the SEC West would have been all but impossible.

11754632.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

For Freeze and other coaches in similar situations, the transfer portal was a godsend. Freeze hired a staff, and they all hit the recruiting trail hard. But only transfers could provide the immediate help desperately needed.

Because Freeze mined the portal with success, his first Auburn team has a chance. Without it, there would have been almost no chance.

Welcome to college football, 2023.

As valuable as the transfer portal can be for programs trying to rebuild rosters, it can be just as valuable if not more for programs that need a smaller push to get where they want to go.

Consider:

USC quarterback Caleb Williams, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, started his career at Oklahoma. Florida State’s Jordan Travis started his career at Louisville. Oregon’s Bo Nix, of course, started his career at Auburn. Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. started his career at Indiana. Colorado’s Shedeur Sanders started his career at Jackson State. LSU’s Jayden Daniels started his career at Arizona State. Tennessee’s Joe Milton started out at Michigan. Texas’ Quinn Ewers went first to Ohio State. Auburn starter Payton Thorne moved from Michigan State. Backup Robby Ashford moved from Oregon. South Carolina quarterback Spencer Rattler moved from Oklahoma and Ole Miss quarterback Jaxson Dart from USC.

On it goes, and it’s not just quarterbacks. Transfers are making significant impacts at every position throughout college football.

Like NIL, it’s the new way.

Alabama-Texas and hyperbole

Oh, my. I read a column earlier today that proclaimed Saturday’s game between Texas and Alabama is one of the biggest in SEC history. I read that Texas, which hasn’t been anything special for more than a decade, could move into position to be the biggest force in the SEC, that a loss could hasten Nick Saban’s retirement. Talk about hyperbole, but I guess we shouldn’t be surprised.

Why is this Alabama-Texas game bigger than last season’s? Got me. Why is it anything more than an important game between two nationally ranked teams? It isn’t. What indicates Texas is close to becoming what Alabama has been for the past 15 years? Nothing.

In my perfect world, every season really would start with a clean slate. It would matter what you accomplish and not the logo on your helmet or what you accomplished in the past.

But, alas, my world is far from perfect.

Looking deeper at Auburn’s defense

Much has been made of Auburn’s defensive issues, particularly against the run, in last Saturday’s 59-14 trouncing of UMass. But sometimes it pays to look deeper.

Auburn’s defense was really bad, unacceptably bad, on UMass’ first possession. It was really in control after that until the final touchdown against reserves.

UMass had six rushes for 76 yards on its first drive. For the rest of the game, it had 21 carries for 64 yards. That is hardly the defensive meltdown some are portraying it as being.

This is how UMass head coach Don Brown saw it:

“Our first drive was for a touchdown against the defense and had a really nice drive offensively to start us off and give us some life. That was it for the day until we were playing against the third string.”

No question, the Tigers must play better on defense to get to where they want to go. Head coach Hugh Freeze talked a lot about misalignment that could prove costly against stronger opponents. But the notion that Auburn’s defense was lost and inept against UMass is not borne out by the facts.

Hunter to make trip, but will he play?

As our Nathan King reported, running back Jarquez Hunter is on the travel roster for Auburn’s trip to Cal. Does that mean he will play? Not necessarily. There is no limit on how many players Auburn can take, so there was no real reason not to take him. I don’t believe it should be interpreted as meaning he is going to play. We will see.

About those big losses

One thing to remember as we go into the second week of college football: LSU, Clemson and South Carolina had disappointing performances, but all would have won had they played the same kinds of opponents most other teams in their conferences played.

Could Caleb Williams return to USC in 2024? Not likely

USC quarterback Caleb Williams’ dad says his son could return for another season at USC if he doesn’t like the franchise that plans to draft him. Williams, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, is projected to be the first player chosen in the draft.

Here is why that is likely nothing but talk: As the first player chosen in the 2023 draft, former Alabama quarterback Bryce Young got more than $34 million, all guaranteed. You would think the number would be a little higher in the next draft. NIL is great and all, but no NIL deal is going to come close to that.

Disney, Spectrum should settle their spat

When my kids got angry at each other, I would ask them if they thought they were eventually going to get over it and make up. The answer was always Yes. My next question was why wait? Why not get over it now?

I would ask Disney and Spectrum the same question about the ongoing feud that has made ESPN channels go dark for Spectrum cable subscribers. Are they ever going to get over it and make up? Of course, they are. So, why wait? All that is being accomplished is that fans are being punished and that Spectrum is, no doubt, losing subscribers. Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

A major recruiting miss by Auburn, Alabama

Duke quarterback Riley Leonard played in a prominent program at Fairhope High School. He was a talented athlete that he had major basketball offers. Duke coaches liked him so much that they offered him – and he accepted – without ever having him on campus.

Neither Auburn nor Alabama showed any interest at all as he finished his high school career in 2020. Then-Auburn coach Gus Malzahn was urged to take a hard look, but he wasn’t interested. Neither was Nick Saban.

Leonard, who led Duke to a 28-7 victory over Clemson on Saturday, is now projected as a first-round pick in the NFL draft.

Writing off Auburn’s and Alabama’s lack of interest as letting one fall through the cracks is not really an explanation. It’s not like he was playing in the hinterlands somewhere. Call it what it was for both programs: A serious lapse of judgment.

• Thanks 1

al.com

Austin Keys could be out 6-8 weeks, so who’s next up for Auburn?

Updated: Sep. 06, 2023, 4:28 p.m.|Published: Sep. 06, 2023, 4:05 p.m.

6–7 minutes

Auburn received a blow to its defense Wednesday afternoon when head coach Hugh Freeze announced starting linebacker Austin Keys will be out for “a while” after undergoing surgery for a thumb injury he picked up during the UMass game.

Freeze was asked about Keys’ status during his time on the weekly SEC conference call with reporters Wednesday after the Ole Miss transfer was not seen on the field during an open window of practice Tuesday evening. On Monday, Freeze noted Keys in a list of players dealing with injuries, but did not indicate what the injury was.

Dr. Nick Rachel who specializes in hand surgeries working at The Orthopedic Group in Mobile said while he can’t comment on Keys’ specific injury, when he has football players with thumb surgeries similar to what he imagines Keys had, they are often back within 6-8 weeks.

Rachel said he works frequently with high school football players who have tears or fractures in their thumb and they typically are able to be back within the same season.

Generally, the recovery process includes a heavily protected hand for the first 4-6 weeks after the surgery and then working back into full training when that cast comes off.

Depending on the severity of the injury and Keys’ recovery timeline, Rachel said linebackers could wear a “club cast” on his right hand and play while he continues to get back to full strength. A cast like that, of course, would limit his ability to make plays on the ball while he is in coverage over the middle of the field.

A four-week return after the UMass game would be roughly around Auburn’s SEC home opener against Georgia on Sept. 30. Six weeks would put Keys out until Auburn’s Oct. 14 trip to LSU. The bye week between Georiga and LSU is timely for his recovery. And an eight-week recovery would mean a return around Auburn’s Oct. 28 game against Mississippi State.

Keys was previously dealing with a shoulder injury during the preseason, but he was named a starter on Auburn’s initial depth chart and did in fact start the game against UMass. He played 18 total snaps in the game according to Pro Football Focus.

It’s not clear exactly when the injury occurred but at points early in the second quarter Keys was seen playing with no additional or abnormal tape or wrapping on his hands.

But toward the end of the quarter, his right hand was heavily wrapped. He briefly played through the injury and started the second half, but came out in the third quarter.

Keys was brought in to Auburn from Ole Miss to be that starter at middle linebacker, which left a competition for the second inside linebacker spot — the weak side linebacker — between Larry Nixon III, Eugene Asante and Cam Riley.

Riley ultimately won that job, in part due to his ability to play both in the middle and on the edge as well as his experience as a starter for Auburn last season.

In fall camp when Keys was dealing with his shoulder injury, Nixon ended up filling that spot while Asante and Riley rotated in the other linebacker position. It was Asante who generated the most buzz coming out of the preseason, and he’d go on to lead Auburn with six tackles in the 59-14 win over UMass.

So with Keys out for the long term now, who’s next?

On the first drive where Keys was seen wearing a wrapping on his hand — a UMass possession inside the final five minutes of the first half which ended in a missed field goal — Nixon was the immediate one to take Keys position on plays where he was not on the field. Asante also came onto the field in place of Riley during that possession.

Asante would pick up a sack on a 3rd-and-4 play inside the redzone that possession which pushed UMass back before the ensuing missed field goal.

“It is real fun playing beside Eugene,” Keys said of Asante during fall camp. “He keeps the standard and he’s really one we look at as a watchman. He holds everybody accountable and you feed off Eugene. You gotta love the dude.”

Keys would take the field one more time in the first half, lining up next to Riley as UMass took a knee with four seconds remaining before halftime. He started the second half next to Riley in the middle of the field and took the field as well for UMass’s second possession of the half following safety Jaylin Simpson’s interception return for a touchdown.

Up by such a large margin, Auburn used Nixon, Asante and other backups including Jake Levant for the rest of the game. The severity of Keys injury wasn’t clear at the end of the game or even before Wednesday.

Nixon did not record a stat in Auburn’s win, but based on how Auburn lined up in practices and in the UMass game, Nixon appears the easiest to slide into Keys’ role because he’s already played it.

“The biggest concern you have when you take a transfer at linebacker that isn’t mid-year is how quickly can you pick up the defense,” linebackers coach Josh Aldridge said of Nixon during fall camp. “I wasn’t real comfortable taking one after spring unless he was a guy like Larry that had all the production and played a lot. It’s easy to install and teach him things because he’s played so much football.”

That does, however, leave the question of where Asante gets onto the field, as he’s proven to be both productive and a vocal leader. Auburn has shown that it loves to rotate its players in multiple position groups and that was likely to be true of the linebackers even with Keys in the picture.

It will remain the case without him. It wouldn’t be a shock to see all three linebackers playing in either the middle or weak-side position.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Thanks 1

al.com

Auburn starting LB Austin Keys has surgery, will be out ‘a while,’ Hugh Freeze says

Updated: Sep. 06, 2023, 1:22 p.m.|Published: Sep. 06, 2023, 12:26 p.m.

~4 minutes

AUBURN, AL - August 07, 2023 - Auburn Linebacker Austin Keys (#6) during a Fall camp practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Austin PerrymanAuburn University Athletics

Auburn starting linebacker Austin Keys will have surgery after picking up a thumb injury in Auburn’s game Saturday against UMass, head coach Hugh Freeze said during the Wednesday SEC conference call with reporters.

Freeze said Keys will be out for “a while.”

Keys played just 18 snaps against UMass, according to Pro Football Focus.

Keys dealt with a shoulder injury during the preseason and wore a yellow non-contact jersey before Auburn’s second scrimmage. He was healthy to start in Auburn’s first game, but it is not immediately known when exactly the injury occurred.

On Monday, Freeze mentioned Keys in a group of players dealing with injuries, but did not say specifically what injury then.

“We’ve got a long list,” Freeze said Monday. “From Nick Mardner to Austin Keys to Jalen (Mcleod) to (Nehemiah) Pritchett. All of those guys hopefully can have a good week. We can really, really use some of those guys.”

During a period of practice open to reporters Tuesday evening, all the players Freeze mentioned as dealing injuries were participants in practice except Keys. Keys was not seen on the field at all.

North Texas transfer Larry Nixon III is listed as Keys’ backup on Auburn’s depth chart. He did not record a stat in the UMass game.

“Larry, man, I call him Big 30,” Keys said during the preseason. “Dirty 30. Being that we were both transfers, we kind of hit it off as he got here. I was his host when he came to visit. He’s a pretty cool guy. He’s really open to learning new things and he works hard on the field.”

When Keys was injured during fall camp, Nixon was consistently the linebacker filling his spot while Eugene Asante and Cam Riley rotated in the weak side linebacker role. Riley started alongside Keys in the UMass game. It is possible, given the strong preseason Asante had, to start the former North Carolina transfer in Keys’ position. Asante led Auburn with six tackles against UMass, including 1.5 for loss and 0.5 sacks.

Wesley Steiner, who is listed behind Nixon on Auburn’s depth chart, would likely factor into the rotation, too.

Keys transferred to Auburn this offseason from Ole Miss. Keys started five games for Ole Miss last season and had a total of 402 snaps. He had 39 total tackles, 3.5 for loss and two sacks. He also had a forced fumble and had a fumble recovery.

He was brought in with the expectation of quickly securing a starting linebacker spot, and he did just that.

“You can tell he’s got an SEC build already,” linebackers coach Josh Aldridge said in August. “And then on top of that you can tell he knows how to practice like an SEC player. I’m really enjoying his tenacity. He’s not played perfect by any means, but you can tell he understands the physicality it takes to play in this conference. That’s what I like about Austin.”

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

as an aside for those that care?The Rolling Stones are releasing a new cd with new music in 18 years. there first single is killer. i am posting their first song. if yhis is too much leave me a neg. i am here to make your day better and not be a drag..............

as always i will check back later for more coverage as it becomes available.

• Like 1

al.com

Cal’s Jaydn Ott not impressed with Auburn film: ‘A name doesn’t mean anything’

Updated: Sep. 06, 2023, 8:27 p.m.|Published: Sep. 06, 2023, 8:26 p.m.
2–3 minutes

Jaydn Ott, Patrick Smith

California running back Jaydn Ott (1) looks for room against North Texas safety Patrick Smith (11) during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023, in Denton, Texas. (AP Photo/Brandon Wade)AP

Jaydn Ott’s Week 1 achievements have given him confidence as his Cal Golden Bears prepare to host Auburn on Saturday.

Will Cal take down Auburn?

“Yeah, we are,” he said.

Ott, who rushed for 188 yards and two touchdowns in California’s 58-21 win over North Texas last week, told reporters Wednesday he isn’t impressed by Hugh Freeze’s Auburn Tigers.

“There’s a lot of focus on the name ‘Auburn,’” he said. “But what I’ve seen on film is not really in comparison to what their name is. I just want to get that into my guys’ heads that a name doesn’t mean anything. At the end of the day, they’re still human, and we have just as much of a chance as they do to go in there and get the win.”

RELATED: Get your Auburn-Cal tickets here

Auburn took care of business in Freeze’s head coaching debut. Robby Ashford rushed for three first-half touchdowns as Auburn defeated UMass 59-14. Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne threw for 141 yards and a touchdown in his Auburn (1-0) debut.

The Golden Bears aren’t complete strangers to the SEC. In 2019, Cal traveled to Oxford and came away with a 28-20 win over Ole Miss.

“It would be very encouraging when we do get this win,” Ott said, per 247 Sports, “but I feel like our focus is going to be not letting it get to our head and getting too big-headed after we do get the dub.”

al.com

Auburn, Hugh Freeze preparing for every piece of Cal’s ‘very, very explosive offense’

Published: Sep. 06, 2023, 1:31 p.m.

4–5 minutes

Auburn coach Hugh Freeze previews Cal week

Auburn first-year head coach Hugh Freeze knows Saturday’s game against Cal will be a challenge.

That challenge starts on Thursday as he and the Tigers pile onto a plane for a 4.5-hour ride over to Berkeley, arriving late Thursday night.

Once Saturday’s late-night kickoff was scheduled, Freeze tried to change Auburn’s itinerary and leave The Plains on Friday. However, the plane had already been set to be used by an NFL team, Freeze said during the SEC teleconference Wednesday afternoon.

“We’re going to go as late as they would allow on Thursday,” Freeze said. “And try to get there fairly late in hopes that we can sleep in a little bit on Friday with the body on Central Time. Don’t know if that’s right, but that’s our plan.”

Adjusting to the time difference and shaking off a hefty day of traveling is just half the battle, however.

Come Saturday night, Freeze knows his team will be lacing it up against a much stouter opponent than the Tigers did in Week 1 against UMass.

“We will be certainly tested with this trip to Cal, who has a very, very explosive offense and very, very solid defense,” Freeze said.

The Cal Golden Bears are set to return home to Memorial Stadium on Saturday after beating North Texas on the road 58-21.

In their win last week, the Golden Bears’ offense totaled 669 yards of offense with a balanced approach that saw Cal rush for 357 yards and pass for 312.

“Offensively, they’re really scary, Freeze said of the Golden Bears in his press conference Monday. “The tailback, he’s one of the best ones I’ve seen.”

The tailback Freeze was referring to is Cal sophomore Jaydn Ott, who carried the ball 20 times against North Texas and tallied 188 rushing yards – good for an average of 9.4 yards per carry. Ott also finished with a pair of touchdowns, of which one he scored from 66 yards out.

“Just hand it to him,” Freeze said of Ott. “I mean, it isn’t like they have created some special deal, just run inside zone or outside zone or counter with him, and if it’s semi-blocked well he’s a handful. He’s big, he’s strong, he’s fast, he’s got great vision. He is really, really talented.”

And generally, after Cal head coach Justin Wilcox said Tuesday that starting quarterback Sam Jackson was “day-to-day” with an upper body injury, one might expect the Golden Bears to turn to the ground game should Jackson not be able to go.

However, Freeze isn’t expecting that to be the case after watching the way the Cal offense operated in Jackson’s absence last week.

After Jackson went down early in the second quarter after having just taken 18 snaps, Cal turned to redshirt sophomore Ben Finley to take over under center.

“The first kid… gosh he’s an athlete and can obviously throw and run,” Freeze said of Jackson. “Then Finley came in and didn’t miss a beat throwing. He may not be quite the athlete that the other kid is and he’s probably not, but he sure was efficient.”

Prior to exiting last Saturday’s game against North Texas, Jackson went 3-for-4 through the air for 33 yards and added 18 rushing yards on three carries.

Meanwhile, Finley picked apart the North Texas defense as he threw for 279 yards on a 24-for-35 passing effort with a touchdown and an interception.

“I don’t know their plan as to whether they’ll use both or one or the other,” Freeze said. “But we have to prepare for both of them.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Good stuff Fiddy. Already dislike the Cal RB.

i agree. i hope someone lays the wood to him a couple of times. no permanent damage just enough he tells himself to shut the hell up from now on.............lol

Deal and Auburn offense looking to take the next step at Cal

Auburn football takes on the Cal Bears this weekend on the road.

Jason Caldwell2 hrs

AUBURN, Alabama—Coming off a 59-14 victory over UMass in last Saturday’s season opener for the Auburn Tigers in the first game of the Hugh Freeze era, this week has been one of the most important of the year for the team. There is an old football saying that a team improves more from week one to week two than at any other time in the season.

Auburn hopes that’s the case as the Tigers get ready to cross the country on Thursday ahead of Saturday night’s game against what looks to be an improved Cal Bear team. After rushing for 297 yards and throwing for another 203 with no turnovers against the Minutemen, senior tight end Luke Deal said the offense feels like they’re ready to take the next step.

“We learned that we’re everything we talked about,” Deal said. “We have a chance to be really versatile, explosive, very dynamic. We saw flashes of that in this first game and hopefully we can carry that on. Everything we have been preaching about in the offseason of what this team has the potential to do, we were able to see it. We know each week is not going to be easy. We’ve got to keep putting one foot in front of the other and preparing and doing what we think we can do.”

The competition level steps up dramatically this week for Deal and the Tigers versus a Cal defense that was strong in its opening win over North Texas. After allowing a pair of 75-yard touchdown drives as part of a 21-point first half, the Bears were dominant in the final 30 minutes against the Mean Green. North Texas had the ball six times in the second half, managing just 19 total yards and no first downs.

“I see a really well-coached defense,” Deal said. “I see a very sound defense. I see guys who are in the right gaps and doing the right things, which is something you always look for in a defense because if one guy messes up it can be a touchdown. We’re going to definitely have to calculate each move. We’re going to have to out-physical them, play with speed, and play with great toughness each and every play.”

Looking for win number two in the non-conference, Auburn’s schedule will only get tougher as the Tigers move into SEC play in two weeks. Because of that, Deal said this weekend’s trip to California is a big opportunity for this team as they look to put the program back on the college football map.

“There’s milestones in each season,” Deal said. “Your first game, how do you start? Your first road game, how do you react when you don’t have 90,000 people cheering you on? Whenever you get into conference play, that’s another milestone. Momentum is going to be huge. I just want to see us win the turnover battle, execute and run the football. That’s something you have to do on the road. I have learned that in big road games, if you want to go in and upset somebody you have to be able to run the football.”

My Man!

‘I’m not supposed to be here’: Full of gratitude, Gunner Britton reflects on first game at Auburn

Published: Sep. 07, 2023, 6:30 a.m.

By Ainslie Lee | alee@al.com

The first time Gunner Britton ran out onto Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium, he did so wearing a white and red jersey, looking at Auburn’s more than 80,000 fans from underneath Western Kentucky’s chrome helmets.

A native of Conway, S.C., Britton was only rated a 2-star offensive lineman prospect out of high school and the Hilltoppers were one of just three FBS teams to come knocking with an offer.

“I was No. 54 overall in South Carolina,” Britton said. “I wasn’t the most recruited guy, even at my own high school.”

And in a world so caught up in stars and rankings, Britton spent much of his time at Western Kentucky thinking he was where he belonged.

After redshirting during his first season in Bowling Green, Ky. in 2019, Britton worked his way into the Hilltoppers’ offensive line rotation in his following three seasons. But it wasn’t until the 2022 season that Britton was a consistent starter at WKU.

Nonetheless, as the 2022 season approached, Britton knew — barring he played well — he might have the opportunity to transfer to a bigger program.

During Week 2, the Hilltoppers went out to play Hawaii, where Britton and the WKU offensive line didn’t give up a sack despite 30 pass attempts.

The next week at Indiana, Britton had another solid showing.

But it wasn’t until later in the season Britton finally had himself convinced he could play among the “freak shows” in the SEC.

Ironically, as fate would have it, Britton’s breakthrough came on Nov. 19 of last year when he and the Hilltoppers visited Auburn in a game that was dominated by the Tigers and their run game.

While Western Kentucky’s defense was getting torn apart by Auburn running backs Jarquez Hunter and Tank Bigsby, who combined for 229 rushing yards and four touchdowns, Britton was holding his own against Auburn’s standout defensive end.

“I got the chance to go block Derick Hall from Auburn University and everyone has seen what he’s done here and now he’s in the NFL and was a second-round pick,” Britton said. “And I’m like, okay if I can block this guy then I’m pretty confident I can go to the biggest stage and block seven SEC guys.”

That did it.

That convinced Britton it was time to ignore the stars and what all the recruiting services said about him out of high school and trust what he knew about himself.

Britton entered the transfer portal on Nov. 29 – three days after WKU’s final regular season game of the 2022 season.

By then, those same recruiting services that listed him as a 2-star out of high school, listed him as a 4-star transfer prospect and the fifth-best offensive tackle available in the transfer portal. Dillon Wade, who went on to transfer to Auburn from Tulsa, was rated the best tackle available in the portal.

“It was a lot of prayers, a lot of discussion with my family,” Britton said of his decision to transfer. “Coach Thornton brought it up the other day about what I told him when I came on a visit was pretty much if I can play in the SEC, I’m gonna have a chance to play in the NFL… I felt like coming to Auburn gave me the best opportunity to do that. That made the decision easy.”

Britton arrived to The Plains in January and it took him a while to get adjusted to the magnitude of things at Auburn.

From Auburn’s Woltosz Football Performance Center, to taking a video of the dozen media members interviewing him during his first media availability so he could show his former teammates what it was like in the SEC — it was a lot to take in for a kid who for years thought he was only as good as his 2-star rating.

Nonetheless, it didn’t take long for Britton cement himself as a vital piece of the offensive line first-year head coach Hugh Freeze and Jake Thornton were trying to build at Auburn.

Auburn’s coaching staff toyed around with a number of different combinations along the offensive line throughout fall camp in search of the best rotations – something that’s imperative in an offense as fast-moving as Freeze’s.

“He needs to be on the field, and we need to stay fresh because we do like to go fast,” Freeze said of Britton following Auburn’s win over UMass. “He gives us freedom to move some puzzle pieces around because of his flexibility. He’s really invaluable with that.”

And Freeze didn’t wait to put that on display as Britton was asked to play three different spots along the offensive line on Saturday.

However, if you were to ask him to talk about his play from Saturday, Britton would tell you he thought the Tigers’ offensive front played well and met both of their goals: keeping Auburn’s quarterbacks off their backs and helping Auburn rush for 6.7 yards per carry.

But that might be all he’d have to say about the Xs and Os (Though it is worth mentioning Britton was named the SEC’s Offensive Lineman of the Week for his efforts).

Late kickoff a challenge for Auburn

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSportsSen ior Editor

AUBURN | Hugh Freeze is not a night person.

Growing up on a dairy farm and having chores to get done before sunrise has made him an early riser from the get-go.

But Freeze will have to step out of his comfort zone Saturday night when Auburn plays at California. Kickoff is schedule for 9:30 p.m. CT.

It will be a late night for Freeze and his Tigers at Calirornia. (Mickey Welsh/USA Today images)

“I told our team when I taught my lesson for the week this morning with them, that’s one of the challenges I have for me is to embrace it because I don’t like it,” said Freeze. “I don’t like scheduling teams on the West Coast. I just as soon play somebody over here on the East Coast but it was done. Me complaining or not embracing it is not the proper response.”

When he learned of the late kickoff time, Freeze tried to change Auburn’s travel plans from Thursday to Friday.

“The plane is being used by an NFL team on Friday so we have to stick with Thursday,” he said. “We’re going to go as late as we can that they would allow on Thursday and try to get there fairly late in hopes that we can sleep in a little bit on Friday.”

The Tigers plan to depart Auburn around 4:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon. Friday will include a light practice at San Mateo Junior College.

It’ll be a long wait Saturday before kickoff and the game could last well into Sunday morning.

“I think it creates some challenges, but this will be a good test for all of us,” said Freeze. “Coaches, trainers, staff, nutritionists, drink staff, support staff, players. How do we handle if things are a little uncomfortable? Or it’s not exactly the way we want it, and I’m speaking to myself as much as anyone. You’ve gotta play a really good football team at their place when our body times are 9:30 or 10 at night and we’re kicking it off. All of that is going to be a challenge, but you know what, that’s what life is.

“How we approach it and the attitude we have for the opportunity to the opportunity we have, it ought to be one of gratitude and thankfulness. We gotta suck it up and fly a long flight. That’s what we gotta do. We got another opportunity to represent this school, this conference and each other. Let’s go make the most of it.”

#PMARSHONAU: Gunner Britton finds his football home at Auburn

Offensive lineman Gunner Britton's joyful ride to Auburn

Phillip Marshall 5 hrs

AUBURN, Alabama – After Western Kentucky lost to Auburn 41-17 last November at Jordan-Hare Stadium, offensive tackle Gunner Britton’s father was waiting in the tunnel as he left the field.

“He told me ‘Dad, if I don’t go in the draft, I want to be at a place like this,'” John Britton tells Auburn Undercover. "He said 'I want to play in front of 90,000 people, and this is a place I would love to be.’”

Gunner had secured his degree at Western Kentucky in 2021. He had gotten feedback that he could go into the NFL draft and probably be a mid-round pick. But not long after that day at Auburn, he went into the transfer portal.

Offers poured in from most SEC and ACC programs, some in the Big Ten and the Big 12. It was a far cry from what happened after he finished his career back home in South Carolina at Conway High School. He was a two-time all-state selection, a standout baseball player and an honor student. But recruiting interest wasn’t strong.

“I had three FBS offers,” Gunner says. “I was a 2-star and the No. 54 player in the state.” He chuckles at the irony.

On Jan. 7, Gunner made good on what he said last November. He signed with Auburn. On Saturday, he started at left tackle and played three positions on the offensive line as Auburn blew out UMass 59-14. He got a 94 grade from his coaches. And he was named SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week after his first Auburn game.

John Britton was on a tractor working at his farm when he got the call from his son. And he wept with joy.

“I had to tear it up then,” John says. “I mean, I love it for him. He has worked so hard. Football is his life now.”

In Hugh Freeze’s first game as Auburn’s head coach, Jordan-Hare Stadium was packed with a record crowd. Tiger Walk was a mass of humanity. For Gunner, it the culmination of a long-time dream.

“When you put on the pads and run out and see 90,000 people or even Tiger Walk walking in there, it's like, ‘Dang, I really do play at Auburn now.’ It’s special,” Gunner says. “I think the transfer portal is something crazy. I remember thinking when I prayed on the field, ‘I’m not supposed to be here.’ Ten years ago, this would’ve never been a thing for a guy to be able to transfer to a big school and play.

“It was just a special moment. It was a special moment for my family. Something we’ll never forget is me running out the tunnel for the first time, me on Tiger Walk, just meeting so many people and people knowing my name and stuff, which is something that’s really special to me. I was emotional about it.”

He wasn’t alone. Forty-nine family members and relatives were to share the moment, and to celebrate the determination of a young man who wouldn’t listen when people told him he wasn’t good enough.

“In my life I’ve been doubted by a lot of people,” Gunner says. “For me to be able to walk into a stadium and there are 90,000 people cheering for me and wanting me to succeed, it’s a lot different. The first time I came to Jordan-Hare, there were 90,000 who didn’t want me to succeed. So to have that, it was really special.”

Gunner Britton played three positions on the OL in his Auburn debut. (Photo: Auburn University Athletics)

Gunner was born to compete. His first word was “ball.” His father coached him like he had coached John Henry and Will, the twin sons of John and Dina Britton, 10 years his seniors.

John Britton is a former police officer. He works 200 acres of land left to him by his grandfather. He owns a landscaping company. He’s a coach. He’s a mentor. He went to work after high school instead of going to college, but he passed on his love for competition to his sons. His oldest sons played at Newberry College.

And now his youngest has finally made his way to college football’s biggest stage.

“Nobody deserves anything in this world,” John says. “You earn it. That’s what I believe. He wants to win. He wants to make a run. Some people say he deserves it. I say, no, he’s earned it.”

Gunner could have been a graduate transfer any time after earning his degree in May of 2021. His father thought it would be a good idea, but Gunner did not feel he had finished his commitment to Western Kentucky.  After last season, he was ready.

“I knew in my heart that when he entered that portal, his phone would blow up,” John says. “And it did.”

Gunner established a tight relationship with the late Mike Leach, Mississippi State’s head coach. Leach’s tragically passed away the day after Gunner’s visit to Starkville. His next visit was to Auburn, and it would be his last.

“I went with him on the trip to Auburn, and that was it,” John says. “He’d planned to use three more visits. Deion Sanders had offered. Texas had come in. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. A bunch of Big Ten schools. When we went to Auburn, it was an automatic fit."

John was convinced as Gunner finished his high school career that his son could play at a high level. He doesn’t understand to this day why there wasn’t more interest.

“I knew he could,” John says. “I knew his body was young, and it was going to take some time for him to grow into it. I knew if he ever got a shot he could do it. I don’t understand this star system. I am sorry. I just don’t.”

Gunner was 6-foot-5 and weighed 275 as a high school senior. He would have been a major league draft prospect had he not given baseball as a senior to graduate early and enroll at Western Kentucky. But even Gunner, who is listed now at 6-6 and 312 pounds, had his doubts.

“There were times at Western that if you would’ve told me I was going to play college football at this level, I would’ve been like, ‘There’s no way,’” Gunner says. “It all came to fruition. I get to play at Auburn. How special it is. That’s what I like to tell kids when I go to different elementary schools or I see a kid and he asks for an autograph. Just follow your dreams. I’m not supposed to be here, and look at me now.”

The Brittons are long-time South Carolina supporters. John was, for years, a season-ticket holder. The Gunners, Britton and his family, have been welcomed and embraced even more than they could have imagined. They are Auburn people now.

As Gunner neared the gate at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, a crowd of children were clamoring for autographs. He stopped and signed them all.

It had taken him a while, but he knew he belonged.

• Love 1