Hugh Freeze calls the parents of every single player

W.E.D

Interesting contradiction vs....

On 2/4/2022 at 2:35 PM, AUght2win said:

Smoke Monday on Instagram live: "Since Bryan Harsin got hired he never had one conversation with my Mom or Dad. He probably don't even know their name. As a coach, how can you explain that?"

On 2/4/2022 at 3:46 PM, SRBautigerfan said:

There’s a whole bunch of soft young men out there that have been taught that if you complain enough or have good enough excuses or if you’re a victim you’ll eventually be rewarded.  That’s not gonna float with The Hars.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:03 PM, AUght2win said:

The Smoke quote about never speaking to his parents is pretty damning. That's indefensible on Harsin's part. Stuff like that he needs to get it together on.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:17 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

he smoke part about not talking to his parents.  I know coaches talk to parents a lot when they are recruiting them and I would expect the position coach should continue to talk to the parents, but a head coach who just arrived a year ago and had never met the parents of players already on the roster I could see with how busy the head coach is that he didn't make enough of an effort in that area

On 2/4/2022 at 4:53 PM, Hank2020 said:

We really think this is the major thing that is holding our football team back? Sounds silly to me. I thought the poster was being facetious when he brought up Smoke’s comment.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:03 PM, Didba said:

You know how often our head coach talked to our parents? Not the same level obviously but a head coaches job isn't to talk to current seniors parents on a regular basis. Imo. Kinda strange it never happened but not unimaginable. Honestly, only time a coach would talk to a parent where I'm from was if the player was screwing up.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:08 PM, AUght2win said:

One call is all you need. This is a senior leader.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:21 PM, Hank2020 said:

This is silly IMO. This is a senior (meaning if he was good enough would not be here but gone to NFL). They (NFL head coaches) probably aren’t calling their parents to tell them he would “take care of them”. I would also say if he did that it would indeed be disingenuous as he knows he is coming to try to change the way Auburn football is done from day to day.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:28 PM, cole256 said:

What? It's not necessarily true that the only reason they are there is because they aren't good enough to be in the NFL. No NFL coaches wouldn't be expected to meet a player parents but college coaches would and Auburn is a college. And what do coming in changing football have to do with meeting parents? 

Anytime something happens to a college player people think what does the head coach has to say

On 2/4/2022 at 5:31 PM, Didba said:

As long as it's coldfree, my favorite brand of beer.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:35 PM, AUght2win said:

Well apparently Harsin does too. And it may get him fired.

On 2/4/2022 at 6:02 PM, cole256 said:

There's no arguing a college coach shouldn't concern himself with parents of players. Just don't be a college coach then. Period

• Like 4
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Ha, nothing like the past coming back to haunt me.  Maybe it will help them play better!! Lol

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 3

I remember that thread real well and it was Auburn fans calling those players all types of names in that thread. It had nothing to do with the players being “soft” they just wanted a coach that cared and now we all see Harsin didn’t.

Now we have a coach that actually cares and look how it’s already affecting recruiting 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I remember that thread real well and it was Auburn fans calling those players all types of names in that thread. It had nothing to do with the players being “soft” they just wanted a coach that cared and now we all see Harsin didn’t.

Now we have a coach that actually cares and look how it’s already affecting recruiting 

The player damning has gotten a little out of hand the last few years. And I thought that kind of stuff was against the rules of the board. People insulted the heck out of Bo Nix as well, saying he had no fight and he just wanted to be handed everything and that was why he transferred. My how different the actual story ended up being. I’d say I hope we learned our lesson, but people are still doing that with players, most notably Robby Ashford.

• Like 6

Freeze is good with making phone calls isn’t he 🤣. But seriously…

Let’s all not forget that Freeze is operating in a reputation repair mode. I like him and hope he works out but hasn’t proven anything on the field yet. 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Uh… Big win at Cal? Close loss to Georgia? 

If you can't see the difference in the team play so far this year I don't know that to tell you

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

If you can't see the difference in the team play so far this year I don't know that to tell you

The celebration of Freeze having his assistant coaches calling parents is nice and his PR assistant should receive a Starbucks gift card. 
But let’s take off the orange and blue glasses for a minute and identify that nothing has been proven on the field. The guy is coming out of coaching detention center and so far his quarterback whispers aren’t working with his handpicked transfer.

If you equate player effort as some  significant indicator that Freeze is doing a great job then I don’t know what to tell you other than that is why Gus is gone and we are where we are now. 

Caddy was a big reason for HF starting at this high of an enthusiasm level. He is going to be a great head coach in the future. In 2 years from today the environment will be very different. Our biggest mental block is to realize we can finish and win the game. We are winning behind the scenes in a big way because of recruiting and as everyone knows it takes a minute for that to translate to the field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

I prove this true everyday 🤪

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Freeze is good with making phone calls isn’t he 🤣. But seriously…

Let’s all not forget that Freeze is operating in a reputation repair mode. I like him and hope he works out but hasn’t proven anything on the field yet. 

Are you watching the football games?

Edit: You can disregard I don't care like having this discussion. War Eagle, buddy.

Edited by woodford

These calls will help with player retention so we hopefully won’t lose many to transfer portal. We’re one year in front of coming out of a coaching desert. PT wasn’t his handpicked QB, just the best of the rest. He needed help from the WRs that he didn’t get to win. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Hugh Freeze calls the parents of every single player
On 10/9/2023 at 11:50 AM, W.E.D said:

Nice, I can confirm that Tubs never called all the parents. 

I guess we will all see soon and can visit the stats (currently on the very bottom so far in the sec for offense and defense totals) and the wins vs losses to determine who holds the foolish view on what sort of job the staff is doing. 

Edited by GreenTiger

On 10/9/2023 at 1:50 PM, W.E.D said:

So what was the point of taking the time to tag a bunch of posts from over a year ago? Pettiness? 

I already ate my crow re the Harsin era and was pretty vocal about it. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Didba said:

So what was the point

Because I wanted to?

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Because I wanted to?

Just a little weird to seemingly call out people for something they said over a year and a half ago. This must be what Cole feels like… /s

but I like that you quoted my coldfree beer joke so I’ll give you a pass this time :poke: