"The other team"

LPTiger

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m jet lagged after business class without the weight of the world on shoulders. 

I know I should be frightened here In vulnerable Texas, but we got a saying— come and take it.

Are you Sig, Ruger, Glock or something else?

5 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

The problem/ mistake many historical republicans made is  that they switched to independent in protest and lost the ability to affect the primaries.  Should be interesting to see if they switch back.

Just my 2 cents, but I think every state should have open primaries.  I believe 24 currently have open primaries, where anyone registered can choose which nominating primary to cast their vote.

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Just my 2 cents, but I think every state should have open primaries.  I believe 24 currently have open primaries, where anyone registered can choose which nominating primary to cast their vote.

It’s … complicated.

https://wisevoter.com/state-rankings/states-with-open-primaries/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Much moreso than it needs to be.   Of course, all the different state systems also serve as a level of security as well.   It makes it nearly impossible to conspire on a national level across all jurisdictions without someone spilling the beans.

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Much moreso than it needs to be.   Of course, all the different state systems also serve as a level of security as well.   It makes it nearly impossible to conspire on a national level across all jurisdictions without someone spilling the beans.

The interesting thing is in states like Ga and other open super tues states, if Biden runs unopposed, will dems weigh in on the gop? 

22 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

The interesting thing is in states like Ga and other open super tues states, if Biden runs unopposed, will dems weigh in on the gop? 

Some will.  It depends on whether they feel that their votes would make a difference or not.  It also depends on the down ballot races, where those exist. In Georgia, most all local officials used to run as Democrats.  Today, most run as Republicans or once they are in office, run as Independent.

This was tough to read:

Here it is: we give billions of dollars to Jordan, Egypt, and the Palestinian Authority—presumably as “please be nice to us” protection / insurance money. All three autocracies then run with the lie that a terrorist/jihadist (our media prefers “militant”) rocket, in flight on its way to kill Israeli civilians, which had fallen short at a Gazan hospital parking lot, was in fact an Israeli “war crime” of bombing a hospital building that wiped out “500 civilians.”

That was not just a multifaceted lie, but a monstrous and demonstrable one. What followed was weary boilerplate.

You know the now half-century-old drill: the usual riots and mobs throughout the Middle East sprout up on cue, shouting hatred of Jews and death to the U.S. Our terrified aid-recipient Arab autocratic governments snub a visiting American president. Our worried diplomats show contrition (Secretary of State Blinken promptly suggested lowering our flags to half-mast at our embassies abroad in sympathy with the hospital victims of the supposed Israeli air strike).

At home the tired left-wing campus and urban demonstrations erupt—along with a dramatic takeover of the Capitol building, all confident in the usual legal exemptions extended to such left-wing protests. (But wasn’t it established by AG Merrick Garland that storming the Capitol and disrupting congressional proceedings was an “insurrection“ designed to destroy democracy and thus punishable by felony charges likely leading to considerable prison time— with congressional investigations and criminal charges looming for any elected official who purportedly encouraged such an insurrection, as Rep. Rashida Tlaib did for this one?)

All this madness was followed by the predictable Biden reaction of printing and sending yet another $100 million of fungible “please don’t hate us” money to terrorist-run enclaves—even as Iran confidently awaits its promised $6 billion ransom payment.

Again, the Biden message is that if Islamic Jihad had just hit its intended target and only killed more Jewish civilians, then there would have been no problem (cf. confirmed from the mouth of Biden himself: “It’s that old thing: gotta learn how to shoot straight.”): just shoot straight, terrorists, and then no riots, no snubs, and for now no need for more American Danegeld.

At some point, will someone state the obvious: the more a bankrupt America appeases the Middle East, sends aid and money, takes in its refugees, and lectures democratic Israel, all the more the Arab world shows contempt, and all the closer we get to a theater-wide war— predicated on the idea that a loud but contemptibly weak America is at the mercy of unstable governments and unhinged throngs?

And thus it can neither protect its friends nor advance its interests. Perhaps the Arab world is trying to tell us something and we should listen. I think their own conduct and actions convey a warning/message to us something like the following: ‘America needs to stop the Biden empty rhetoric now. On what evidence exactly can you Americans claim that Hamas does not have wide support in Gaza? After all, Hamas certainly resonates even on your own American campuses. And the methods some of us choose to slaughter Israelis are our own business, not yours. And by the way, leave it us to deal with our own fellow-Islamists in Iran.’

In response to the implicit messaging of our “allies” and the Islamic street, we do need to stop the empty rhetoric, but in the Jacksonian ‘don’t tread on me’ sense: vastly increase our defenses, prepare for the worst, return to maximum fossil fuel production, stop importing oil and hatred of America from theMiddle East, cease unrestricted immigration and yank visas, enforce our immigration laws—and allow Israel to defend itself from pre-civilizational murderers.

• Facepalm 1

If only the real world were as simple as it is in Victor David Hanson's mind. VDH writes articles based on emotion and what Conservatives wish for and want to be true, not based on actual reality. America abandoning Middle east trade and diplomacy would be a enormous gift and win to Russia, China, and Iran who would swoop in to fill America's retreating influence. 

--------------------

As an aside, I think Israel and the United States should set up some humanitarian camps/communities within the Israeli border and start allowing Gazan women and children out of the territory into safety. 

Israel doesn't gain any benefit from allowing a million women and children to wonder aimlessly without food water, electricity, or homes around Gaza trying to dodge Israeli missiles. 

Yes, it would cost money and carry some risk, but it would also prove that Israel's promises of not targeting or punishing civilians are more than just words and platitudes. As it stands right now, the women and children of Gaza are suffering just as much as any Hamas fighter is. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

If only the real world were as simple as it is in Victor David Hanson's mind. VDH writes articles based on emotion and what Conservatives wish for and want to be true, not based on actual reality. America abandoning Middle east trade and diplomacy would be a enormous gift and win to Russia, China, and Iran who would swoop in to fill America's retreating influence. 

--------------------

As an aside, I think Israel and the United States should set up some humanitarian camps/communities within the Israeli border and start allowing Gazan women and children out of the territory into safety. 

Israel doesn't gain any benefit from allowing a million women and children to wonder aimlessly without food water, electricity, or homes around Gaza trying to dodge Israeli missiles. 

Yes, it would cost money and carry some risk, but it would also prove that Israel's promises of not targeting or punishing civilians are more than just words and platitudes. As it stands right now, the women and children of Gaza are suffering just as much as any Hamas fighter is. 

Why don’t we do that with Jordan and Egypt leading the way? Because they could not care less for the Palestinians. What was it they said earlier this week? “Not one refugee to Jordan nor Egypt!” The rest of the Arab/Muslim could not care less about Hamas and the Gazans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

You can’t be serious.  Let people that are sworn to kill you into your land while other Arab countries refuse to do the same?

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Yes, it would cost money and carry some risk, but it would also prove that Israel's promises of not targeting or punishing civilians are more than just words and platitudes.

Says the man sitting in the freest country in the world without too much government control.  You do not negotiate with terrorists.  You do not give the people trying to wipe out Iraelis $100 million without even asking for them to release the hostages.

The weakness of the left is astounding.

I don’t think Victor Davis Hand’s mind is simple.

• Facepalm 1

24 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Why don’t we do that with Jordan and Egypt leading the way? Because they could not care less for the Palestinians. What was it they said earlier this week? “Not one refugee to Jordan nor Egypt!” The rest of the Arab/Muslim could not care less about Hamas and the Gazans. 

That would be ideal, but at the same time Jordan and Egypt aren't the ones invading Gaza. Israel is. 

Also having the refugee camps in Israel would be a guarantee that the civilians are allowed to return to Gaza eventually. Egypt and Jordan does have some legitimate concerns that if they allow the Gazan citizens into their borders that Israel would then never allow them to come back to Gaza. 

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You can’t be serious.  Let people that are sworn to kill you into your land while other Arab countries refuse to do the same?

The women and children aren't going to do any harm to Israel. You can't punish everyone for the sins of Hamas.

Says the man sitting in the freest country in the world without too much government control.  You do not negotiate with terrorists.  You do not give the people trying to wipe out Iraelis $100 million without even asking for them to release the hostages.

The weakness of the left is astounding.

It's not weakness. It's humanitarianism and diplomacy. It would also be the Christian thing to do and support.

I know that the preferred Conservative action in this situation would just be to let Israel flatten Gaza to the ground, kill everyone in the territory, and start over from scratch, but that's not a legitimate or realistic option. 

Israel and the West is not going to defeat or end terrorist like Hamas by piling up higher civilian body counts and constantly destroying the homes and lives of millions of Palestinians. 

I don’t think Victor Davis Hand’s mind is simple.

I'm not saying his entire mind was simple, but his views and opinions on politics and how the world works are. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

The women and children aren't going to do any harm to Israel. You can't punish everyone for the sins of Hamas.

So let them go to Jordan or Egypt.  Why should Israel take them just to appease Americans?  Jordan and Egypt don’t wnat them because they are a disruptive force or they prefer them being used as human shields to make Americans weaken the Israeli response.  Pick one.

It's not weakness. It's humanitarianism and diplomacy. It would also be the Christian thing to do and support.

New flash:  Jews are not Christians.  Are we interfering in Israel’s fight?  Has America interfered with China using Uyghurs as slave labor?  Why is it we only hold the Israili’s accountable and not the terrorist?

I know that the preferred Conservative action in this situation would just be to let Israel flatten Gaza to the ground, kill everyone in the territory, and start over from scratch, but that's not a legitimate or realistic option. 

Israel is methodically going after Hamas and trying to inform the Palestinians all he!! Is going to break loose and yet Hamas tells it’s citizens to not believe the Zionist pigs.  The Palestinians have not received the proper motivation yet.  At what point do you and you fellow liberals start blaming Hamas?

23 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Israel and the West is not going to defeat or end terrorist like Hamas by piling up higher civilian body counts and constantly destroying the homes and lives of millions of Palestinians. 

True, but it would go a long way if America wouldn’t appease terrorists at every turn.

25 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'm not saying his entire mind was simple, but his views and opinions on politics and how the world works are. 

In times like these it is pretty simple, look what got you here and do the opposite.  Liberals like to think the world wants peace, well you can’t have peace if people like Hamas are in control.

• Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So let them go to Jordan or Egypt.  Why should Israel take them just to appease Americans?  Jordan and Egypt don’t wnat them because they are a disruptive force or they prefer them being used as human shields to make Americans weaken the Israeli response.  Pick one.

New flash:  Jews are not Christians.  Are we interfering in Israel’s fight?  Has America interfered with China using Uyghurs as slave labor?  Why is it we only hold the Israili’s accountable and not the terrorist?

Israel is methodically going after Hamas and trying to inform the Palestinians all he!! Is going to break loose and yet Hamas tells it’s citizens to not believe the Zionist pigs.  The Palestinians have not received the proper motivation yet.  At what point do you and you fellow liberals start blaming Hamas?

True, but it would go a long way if America wouldn’t appease terrorists at every turn.

In times like these it is pretty simple, look what got you here and do the opposite.  Liberals like to think the world wants peace, well you can’t have peace if people like Hamas are in control.

Different than I would have put it but fair points. The problem with radical Islam is you can’t negotiate with it and you can’t bomb the hell out it - it reproduces too quickly. We’ve tried both. A lot. Israel has too. Hopefully we can survive this rage phase, cooler heads can prevail, and new thinking can be considered. Emotions are dangerously high right now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Different than I would have put it but fair points. The problem with radical Islam is you can’t negotiate with it and you can’t bomb the hell out it - it reproduces too quickly. We’ve tried both. A lot. Israel has too. Hopefully we can survive this rage phase, cooler heads can prevail, and new thinking can be considered. Emotions are dangerously high right now.

Yes, I have a tendency to be blunt.

• Haha 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/10/19/hamas-winning-political-goals/

Is Hamas winning the war?

War is the continuation of politics by other means. Many people recite this mantra, but too few pay it enough attention — especially in the midst of war. With the massacre Hamas perpetrated in Israel and the mounting civilian casualties in Gaza, the deep logic of war is hidden by the immense human misery it produces. As the bodies keep piling up, who will win this war? Not the side that kills more people, not the side that destroys more houses and not even the side that gains more international support — but the side that achieves its political aims.

Hamas launched this war with a specific political aim: to prevent peace. After signing peace treaties with the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, Israel was on the verge of signing a historic peace treaty with Saudi Arabia. That agreement would have been Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s biggest achievement in his entire career. It would have normalized relations between Israel and much of the Arab world. At the insistence of the Saudis and Americans, the treaty’s conditions were expected to include significant concessions to the Palestinians, aimed to immediately alleviate the suffering of millions of them in the occupied territories, and restart the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

The prospect of peace and normalization was a deadly threat to Hamas. From its founding in 1987, this fundamentalist Islamist organization never recognized Israel’s right to exist and committed itself to uncompromising armed struggle. In the 1990s, Hamas did everything in its power to disrupt the Oslo peace process and all subsequent peace efforts.

For more than a decade, Israeli governments led by Netanyahu abandoned all serious attempts to make peace with more moderate Palestinian forces, adopted an increasingly hawkish policy regarding the occupation of disputed territory and even embraced the right-wing messianic ideas of Jewish supremacy.

During that period, Hamas showed surprising restraint in its dealings with Israel, and the two sides seemed to adopt an uneasy but functional policy of violent coexistence. But on Oct. 7, just when Netanyahu’s government was on the cusp of a major breakthrough for regional peace, Hamas struck with all its force.

Hamas slaughtered hundreds of Israeli civilians, in the most gruesome ways it could devise. The immediate aim was to derail the Israeli-Saudi peace deal. The long-term aim was to sow seeds of hatred in the minds of millions in Israel and across the Muslim world, thereby preventing peace with Israel for generations to come.

Hamas knew its attack would make Israelis livid, distraught with pain and anger, and the terrorists counted on Israel to retaliate with massive force, inflicting enormous pain on Palestinians. The codename Hamas gave its operation is telling: al-Aqsa Tufan. The word “tufan” means flood. Like the biblical flood intended to cleanse the world of sin even at the cost of nearly wiping out humanity, Hamas’s attack aimed to create devastation on a biblical scale.

Doesn’t Hamas care about the suffering this war inflicts on Palestinian civilians? While individual Hamas activists surely have different feelings and attitudes, the organization’s worldview discounts the misery of individuals. Hamas’s political aims are dictated by religious fantasies.

Unlike those of secular movements such as the Palestine Liberation Organization, Hamas’s ultimate goals are not of this world. For Hamas, Palestinians killed by Israel are martyrs who enjoy everlasting bliss in heaven. The more killed, the more martyrs.

As for this world, according to the views of Hamas and other fundamentalist Muslim groups, the only viable aim for a human society on Earth is unconditional adherence to heavenly standards of purity and justice. Because peace always involves compromises on what people consider justice, peace must be rejected, and absolute justice must be pursued at any cost.

This, by the way, explains a curious recent phenomenon among the radical left in many Western democracies, including some student organizations at Harvard University. They absolve Hamas of any responsibility for the atrocities committed in Be’eri, Kfar Azza and other Israeli villages, or for the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. Instead, these organizations place 100 percent of the blame on Israel.

The link between the radical left and fundamentalist organizations such as Hamas is the belief in absolute justice, which leads to a refusal to acknowledge the complexity of realities in this world. Justice is a noble cause, but the demand for absolute justice leads inevitably to endless war. In the history of the world, no peace treaty has ever been reached that didn’t require compromise or that provided absolute justice.

If Hamas’s war aims are indeed to derail the Israeli-Saudi peace treaty and to destroy all chance for normalization and peace, it is winning this war by a knockout. And Israel is helping Hamas, largely because Netanyahu’s government seems to be conducting this war without clear political goals of its own.

srael says it wants to disarm Hamas, and it has every right to do so in protecting its citizens. Disarming Hamas is vital also for any chance of future peace, because as long as Hamas remains armed, it will continue to derail any such efforts. But even if Israel succeeds in disarming Hamas, that’s just a military achievement, not a political plan. In the short term, does Israel have any plan to rescue the Israeli-Saudi peace deal? In the long term, does Israel have any plan to reach a comprehensive peace with the Palestinians and normalize its relations with the Arab world?

Having been deeply involved in Israeli politics for the past year, I fear that at least some members of the current Netanyahu government are themselves fixated on biblical visions and absolute justice, and have little interest in peaceful compromise.

All concerned parties must stop the flood released by Hamas from drowning Israel and the Palestinians, and from devastating the wider region, too. Note that nuclear war is, theoretically, perhaps just 24 hours away — if Hezbollah and other Iranian allies hit Israel with tens of thousands of missiles, as they are threatening to do, Israel might resort to nuclear weapons for self-preservation. All sides should therefore abandon biblical fantasies and demands for absolute justice, and focus on concrete steps to de-escalate the immediate conflict and to sow seeds for peace and reconciliation.

After the events of the past two weeks, reconciliation seems utterly impossible. My own family and friends have just been through scenes reminiscent of Holocaust horrors. But eight decades after the Holocaust, Germans and Israelis are now good friends. Jews never got absolute justice for the Holocaust — how could they? Could anyone put the shrieks of pain back into their throats, return the smoke back into the chimneys of Auschwitz and bring the dead back from the crematoriums?

As a historian, I know history’s curse is that it inspires a yearning to fix the past. That is hopeless. The past cannot be saved. Focus on the future. Let old injuries heal rather than serve as a cause for fresh injuries.

In 1948, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians lost their homes in Palestine. In retaliation, in the late 1940s and early 1950s, hundreds of thousands of Jews were driven out of Iraq, Yemen and other Muslim countries. Since then, injury has been piled upon injury, in a vicious cycle of violence that has led only to more violence. We are not obliged to repeat this cycle forever. Of course, in the midst of the current terrible war, we cannot hope to stop the cycle once and for all. What we need now is to prevent further escalation, and for that we require some concrete gestures of hope.

One proposed initiative calls for Hamas to release all the women, children and babies it is holding hostage, in exchange for Israel’s releasing the several dozen Palestinian women and adolescents it holds as prisoners. Would this be justice? No. Justice demands that Hamas immediately and unconditionally release all the hostages it seized. But this initiative might nevertheless be a step toward de-escalation.

Another initiative is to enable Palestinian civilians to leave the Gaza Strip for safety in other countries. Egypt, sharing a border with Gaza, can and should take the lead on this. But if Egypt fails to provide relief, Israel could provide havens for displaced Gazan civilians on Israeli soil.

If no other country is willing to accept and protect Palestinian civilians, then once the Red Cross has been given access to the Israeli hostages held by Hamas and has ascertained their conditions, Israel could invite the Red Cross and the other international humanitarian groups to establish temporary havens for displaced Gazan civilians on the Israeli side of the border. These havens would accommodate women, children and hospital evacuees from the Gaza Strip while the fighting against Hamas lasts, and at the end of the fighting, the displaced Gazans would return to the Gaza Strip.

Taking such a step would fulfill Israel’s moral duty to protect the lives of Palestinian civilians and would simultaneously aid the Israel Defense Forces in prosecuting the war against Hamas terrorists by reducing the number of civilians caught in the combat zone.

Do such initiatives have any chance of realization? I do not know. But I do know that war is the continuation of politics by other means, that Hamas’s political aim is to destroy any chance for peace and normalization, and that Israel’s aim should be to preserve the chance for peace. We must win this war, instead of helping Hamas achieve its aim.

• Love 1

21 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Never. Their open hate of everything Jewish has warped their brains.

A hospital in Gaza gets bombed or is said to be bombed. The Liberal media do no bother to fact check anything and now are seen openly for being the Anti-semitic liars they have always been.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

That would be ideal, but at the same time Jordan and Egypt aren't the ones invading Gaza. Israel is. 

Also having the refugee camps in Israel would be a guarantee that the civilians are allowed to return to Gaza eventually. Egypt and Jordan does have some legitimate concerns that if they allow the Gazan citizens into their borders that Israel would then never allow them to come back to Gaza. 

Do you hear yourself about how stoopid this thinking is. They accuse Israel of every crime and the book then want Israel to house them in Refugee Camps? OMG, why would the Is\raelis do that? They would immediately be accused of every atrocity known to man and the SFs in the west would believe every lie they are told. Israel would have to be the dumbest people on the planet to take even one refugee in. 

But Hamas can kill Jewish Women and Kids and that seems to barely get covered. They started a War, Like they start all wars with Israel. Then they lose, like they always lose. Then they cry to the SFs in the West that Israel ended a war by kicking their asses, as usual.

Worked in WWII with the Nazis, the original "Murder all the Jews" People.

And what is your plan? Keep them in Gaza Firing rockets and kiling innocent Jews for the rest of Eternity. HAMAS AND MOST OF THE GAZANS DO NOT WANT PEACE. THEY WANT ALL THE JEWS DEAD. 

So your great plan is to just let this intolerable situation rock on for several more decades. 
The GAZANS Elected Hamas. They support Hamas. They volunteer to die as human shields. They refuse any negotiated peace. So what is the answer Einstein? I know you hate being called a Jew but forgive me my guilty pleasures...

Edited by DKW 86

Anderson Cooper gets an education:

Some here need to listen.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Love 1

On 10/19/2023 at 6:06 PM, LPTiger said:

Are you Sig, Ruger, Glock or something else?

Sig

On 10/19/2023 at 9:23 PM, TexasTiger said:

38 snub nose revolver & a derringer. Old school.

Sig p365 macro