PT

auburnatl1

59 minutes ago, keesler said:

I think when people realize that Hugh is very Gus’ish in his strategy, they’ll accept things for what they are and cope accordingly. 

Not disagreeing with this post, but I feel like Gus (at least the version we had) is a better pre-game scripter and Freeze has a better array of play calling options during the game. You get that marriage between both of them in frustrations because Freeze seems very married to his scheme and Gus just didn't have real answers once the script ran out. So we end up at virtually the same point where both are going to either live or die with their tendencies over what the game is saying 

But that's comparing one season where HF is trying to blaze his RPO pass-heavy scheme on a roster that doesn't mesh with it vs almost a decade of Gus lol 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not disagreeing with this post, but I feel like Gus (at least the version we had) is a better pre-game scripter and Freeze has a better array of play calling options during the game. You get that marriage between both of them in frustrations because Freeze seems very married to his scheme and Gus just didn't have real answers once the script ran out. So we end up at virtually the same point where both are going to either live or die with their tendencies over what the game is saying 

But that's comparing one season where HF is trying to blaze his RPO pass-heavy scheme on a roster that doesn't mesh with it vs almost a decade of Gus lol 

There’s another version of Gus?

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I think when people realize that Hugh is very Gus’ish in his strategy, they’ll accept things for what they are and cope accordingly. 

If he is Gus strategy and Chizik recruiting, I’ll gladly take it!!!   

• Like 1

PT was doing fine.  Don't know why Robbie even saw the field today.  Didn't get to watch the 2nd half, so just now hearing about the Jekyl-Hyde offense.  Wondered why we scored so few points after half.  Freeze's loyalty to Robbie is a mystery to me.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If you only saw the 1st half, your impressions are prolly vastly overrated. The 2nd half looked more like the truest version of the season thus far. Some are all giddy just for the W, which is fine, but I wouldn’t say a tremendous amount of progress was made simply by how awfully regressive the 2nd half was. 

And I don’t want to hear “we put on the brakes in the 2nd half.” If true, we got more staff issues than player issues.

I’m happy for the players for getting the win. I’ve never been a fan of putting on the brakes in a game. This team needs to taste as much success as they possibly can and you can’t get that when you don’t go all in. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I’m happy for the players for getting the win. I’ve never been a fan of putting on the brakes in a game. This team needs to taste as much success as they possibly can and you can’t get that when you don’t go all in. 

Next step: 60 minutes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dwayne Pride said:

There’s another version of Gus?

The Gus during his time here was a top 25 coach at worst, and that’s just me trying to be as unbiased as possible. There’s actually multiple versions, the one before his HC tenure was a top 10 offensive mind lol.

Just has been a complete clusterf at UCF

21 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The Gus during his time here was a top 25 coach at worst, and that’s just me trying to be as unbiased as possible. There’s actually multiple versions, the one before his HC tenure was a top 10 offensive mind lol.

Just has been a complete clusterf at UCF

Gus was great when his stuff was new.  Defenses and rule books adjusted, however.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cbo said:

Yep, we need to let it rip with Thorne. He's our best chance. If he throws picks, at least we tried. 

He's only thrown 5 ints this season so it's not like it's been a huge problem. He looked great when given chances today. Hell, he was 9 of 13 against Ole Miss. Plus, he continues to make a surprising number of plays with his legs. 

Exactly this. By comparison, I’d be curious how many 3-and-outs we’ve had…seems like it’s almost uncountable it’s been so many. Those are essentially the same thing as a turnover. Even if he threw 2 int’s a game, it’d be better to have 250+ yards passing and a few int’s than the passing travesties we’ve seen against P5 opponents. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, WillMunny said:

PT was doing fine.  Don't know why Robbie even saw the field today.  Didn't get to watch the 2nd half, so just now hearing about the Jekyl-Hyde offense.  Wondered why we scored so few points after half.  Freeze's loyalty to Robbie is a mystery to me.

I completely agree with your overall sentiment. I think Freeze likes Ashford too much and pushed that experiment too long. 

But if I remember correctly (and just because you didn't see it), Ashford didn't play more in the 2nd half than the first. Maybe even less. Of course, it didn't work at any point in the game. 

The reason the offense stalled in the 2nd half is because we went extremely conservative. Run, run, pass. 

The secondary reason is we only got one possession in the 3rd quarter and had bad field position most of the 4th. 

• Thanks 2

Part of me wonders if, knowing we had a chance to win, we got scared because we have been close and in the second half went prevent. Then there's the part of me that thinks the play calling became questionable and did not adjust to MS second half game plan. As long as we bring in the recruits and secondarily qualify for a bowl game then I think our confidence will continue to rise.

I don’t know what to say about what I saw today.  For 30 minutes I was both happy and a little angry.  Then for 30 minutes I was just angry.  Was it execution or am I right saying the offense hasn’t been called like that all season?  The 2nd half was possibly one of the worst coached halves of football I’ve ever seen.  If the plan was to run and eat up clock then why isn’t the Qb told not to snap the ball till the play clock is almost zero?  Hugh complains about how thin the roster is yet given the opportunity to extend the lead and put in the 2nd team he opts for bad time management and a hold onto your butt mentality.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If you only saw the 1st half, your impressions are prolly vastly overrated. The 2nd half looked more like the truest version of the season thus far. Some are all giddy just for the W, which is fine, but I wouldn’t say a tremendous amount of progress was made simply by how awfully regressive the 2nd half was. 

And I don’t want to hear “we put on the brakes in the 2nd half.” If true, we got more staff issues than player issues.

I could only listen to it but sounded eerily like we Tubershelled.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

If the plan was to run and eat up clock then why isn’t the Qb told not to snap the ball till the play clock is almost zero?  

I listened to a bit of the post-game interview and Freeze said a few times that he was trying to run the ball to run the clock. I think he also said that we were probably too conservative at times. He never said why they decided to do that, maybe just trying to get the game over and avoid injuries. But yeah, it was not fun to watch.

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I still don't know what he looks like against a good team, but yeah the gameplanning and actual live play calling just isn't that good. But I don't think any of that or anything we saw is anything new. The playcalling just doesn't optimize this current roster, although between a bit more tempo early on and alot more checkdown reads, it's a step 

Lol you ain’t slick!!! This is code for play the running QB!!! Your handle gives away your true motives! I’m not going to lie to you bruh. I don’t see THAT big a difference in Thorne and ashford as runners besides ashfords top end speed. And def not enough that we have wasted all this time playing 9 at QB that we could have used getting Thorne in to a better rhythm and more comfortable with these WRs. Especially since he wasn’t here for spring practice. Thorne is Also a smarter runner than 9 and picks his running lanes better. 

we got baited last week in to playing ball control offense because we were worried about OM offense. Their defense isn’t very good either. We should have been running what we did in the first half all game vs ole miss. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If freeze only wanted to run his system no matter what we would have attempted way more than 6 passes through 3 quarters last week….

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Went tubbershell the whole second half. No more passes on first downs and very little on second down. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AUApostle said:

Gus was great when his stuff was new.  Defenses and rule books adjusted, however.

Is this disagreeing with my earlier post? All I said was just that he was a top 25 coach during his time here

44 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Is this disagreeing with my earlier post? All I said was just that he was a top 25 coach during his time here

Nope, just adding to.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

IMO had the coaches not gone in the terrified fetal position in the 2nd half (and asked the defense to save us - again), PT could have had +350 yards passing yards and over 40 pts. Impressive showing.  We’ve got to shake whatever pick 6 phobia we have. Constant 3 and outs aren’t any better. 

Take the cuffs off PT and let’s see what he’s got. 

Agree so much. I rewatched the first half today and noticed a couple of things. I will be first to admit, I didn’t want HF, but I really appreciate his dedication to recruiting, which is what the program has truly lacked for AT least 4 years. That being said, I saw him yell at PT after he threw a ball away due to no open receiver. Why in the hell does a coach pull that crap. Let’s be honest, PT throws a nice ball and his running ability may be better than RA’s as he follows his blocks better. If HF wants to potentially and I do believe it’s possible, but unlikely, finish 8/4, RA should not be throwing passes or getting more than 2 maybe 3 packages a game. I also noticed the plays were taking far too long to get relayed in to PT. That’s purely on Coaching. PT is and always will be a superior passing QB to RA but  I honestly believe we lost possibly 2 to 3 games on coaching this year. Similar to what I watched ATL do today before the HC finally made a change too late. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1