Electric Vehicles a Flop?

Son of A Tiger

On 10/30/2023 at 9:48 PM, auburnatl1 said:

There’s hope. Clear both party’s extremes off the table (who have screwed up just about everything ) - lower the insults - the 2 parties aren’t as far apart as they think.

While extremism may exist in both parties the degree is far from symmetrical.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

While extremism may exist in both parties the degree is far from symmetrical.

Again - yes, yes, yes, they’re more screwed up.  Just not sure that’s the most compelling narrative I’ve ever heard.  

21 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Again - yes, yes, yes, they’re more screwed up.  Just not sure that’s the most compelling narrative I’ve ever heard.  

In the context of contemporary politics, "both siderism" is less than factual.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Repairing EVs After A Crash Can Be Pricey
BY
SEAN MCLAIN
Electric-vehicle owners are finding a surprising downside to their new wheels: They tend to be expensive to repair after a crash. When Scott MacFiggen’s
neighbor backed into his Rivian R1T pickup truck last summer, the vehicle was left with a dent the size of a bowling ball under a rear taillamp. MacFiggen was expecting a
couple-thousand-dollar bill from the repair shop and to be without his truck for a couple of weeks. “I guess I was a little naive,” said the 51-year-old San Francisco resident.
The actual bill came to $22,000, and the vehicle took 2½ months to fix. For EVs, repairs after a collision can cost thousands of dollars more than their gas-powered counterparts because the fixes tend to require more replacement parts, the vehicles are more complicated and fewer people do such repairs. While those issues may ease over time, first-time electric owners may be startled by the cost and longer wait times.

Last year, repairing an EV after a crash cost an average $6,587 compared with $4,215 for all vehicles, according to CCC Intelligent Solutions, a company that processes
insurance claims for auto repairs in the U.S. The costs contrast with the maintenance savings that dealers and automakers promote when trying to get buyers to switch to electric cars and trucks. In addition to not needing gas, EVs tend to require less upkeep. Not needing to do regular chores like oil changes, engine tune ups or replacement of timing belts
means electric-vehicle owners spend half as much maintaining their vehicles as their gasoline-owning counterparts, according to Consumer Reports, a nonprofit organization.

• 1 month later...

Energy companies are starting to "bet" on hydrogen for the future. ALOT of energy problems in the States wouldn't exist if they didn't do all the carbon free subsidies, or if they had at least been fair and gave nuclear the same things it gave wind and solar.

Also as far as the energy part of this discussion you can't forget your different gas plants combined cycle, large steam boilers, etc

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Energy companies are starting to "bet" on hydrogen for the future. ALOT of energy problems in the States wouldn't exist if they didn't do all the carbon free subsidies, or if they had at least been fair and gave nuclear the same things it gave wind and solar.

Also as far as the energy part of this discussion you can't forget your different gas plants combined cycle, large steam boilers, etc

The part that I bolded is one where I think we missed the boat, and I think the Three Mile Island reactor failure in 1979 and Chernobyl in 1986 significantly kneecapped nuclear power as an energy alternative. 

Edited by SLAG-91