Vandy post game thread

TitanTiger

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Our fans are hilarious sometimes. 

Imagine some getting addressed by a sleep deprived attending

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That's not harsh... At all. It's factual and direct.

Direct unfiltered feedback is needed in many jobs to be successful. Coaching and playing are two of them. 

I agree, this reminds me of a recent leadership training I attended. One of the topics involved "generational leadership strategies". Cliffs Notes version: In comparison to more established professionals, younger professionals require direct feedback language, i.e., "you", to come across as impactful and meaningful. Otherwise, the newer generations have a tendency to deflect responsibility elsewhere, including negative or positive messaging. In other words, the feedback portrayed immediately becomes diluted and less meaningful by the recipients of "we" language. This is very difficult for the more established professionals who find it easier to state "we", when providing negative feedback to others. 

Maybe not relatable but food for thought. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AU_Canoe said:

I agree, this reminds me of a recent leadership training I attended. One of the topics involved "generational leadership strategies". Cliffs Notes version: In comparison to more established professionals, younger professionals require direct feedback language, i.e., "you", to come across as impactful and meaningful. Otherwise, the newer generations have a tendency to deflect responsibility elsewhere, including negative or positive messaging. In other words, the feedback portrayed immediately becomes diluted and less meaningful by the recipients of "we" language. This is very difficult for the more established professionals who find it easier to state "we", when providing negative feedback to others. 

Great insight, thanks! 

The QB pick 6 part of this discussion cracks me up. While we debate our coach using ‘we’ instead of ‘us’ the coaches of our two biggest rivals are led by the most direct, hard nosed, foul-mouthed, my way or else coaches in recent memory. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

being that harsh in public sends a message to future recruits who might cringe when hearing it.

@TexasTiger I think it's more your personal preference, which is fine. Overall though we are recruiting really well, which implies it doesn't & hasn't bothered many of our top targets.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I guess I need to rewatch what he said going into halftime. I don’t remember it being super harsh, but I could be misremembering.

It wasn't. Some people just don;t like that part of his style.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

“Payton made an awful decision. We have to trust him to make some of those throws, but he can’t do that to us.”

Well it's the truth. If I made a boneheaded play, I have no problem with my HC saying it. And I think Peyton can handle it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well it's the truth. If I made a boneheaded play, I have no problem with my HC saying it. And I think Peyton can handle it.

I think the issue is not whether it’s true or if he can handle it’s the fact that it’s done on national television. I see no value in the choosing that timing and place to deliver “tough love” as some call it 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I think the issue is not whether it’s true or if he can handle it’s the fact that it’s done on national television. I see no value in the choosing that timing and place to deliver “tough love” as some call it 

Teaching moments should never stop. Long as he isn’t swearing or abusing the player what’s the issue. This is more after the fact. When GA and Bama play they tend to zoom in when Nick and Kirby have their moments. Hell Nick throws a full on tantrum. The solution is play better then u don’t have to worry about corrective action.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Similar to the  Calvin Jackson pick six vs Florida 1993 for 95 yards, or Smoke vs Bammer 2019 99 yards. 5 yards is a no doubt gimme. Think Tex biggest problem is Hugh not saying “we” made an awful decision. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's not harsh... At all. It's factual and direct.

Direct unfiltered feedback is needed in many jobs to be successful. Coaching and playing are two of them. 

No sir. If you remember,  this whole board wants Gus speak. It's what we all miss about his tenure.

J/K

We want whatever we don't have , I guess. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Think Tex biggest problem is Hugh not saying “we” made an awful decision. 

Exactly. We’re either “we” or we’re not “we.” Call a player out directly face to face. No problem. Do it in real time on the sideline if needed. Get mad. Lay down the law. Don’t sugar coat or pussyfoot. But to the rest of the world, we’re “we.” Telling a reporter “he” can’t do that to “us” comes off as if the player’s not part of “us.” End of the world? No.  But I hope it’s not the new norm.

• Like 3

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Exactly. We’re either “we” or we’re not “we.” Call a player out directly face to face. No problem. Do it in real time on the sideline if needed. Get mad. Lay down the law. Don’t sugar coat or pussyfoot. But to the rest of the world, we’re “we.” Telling a reporter “he” can’t do that to “us” comes off as if the player’s not part of “us.” End of the world? No.  But I hope it’s not the new norm.

“We” Business communications 101

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@TexasTiger I think it's more your personal preference, which is fine. Overall though we are recruiting really well, which implies it doesn't & hasn't bothered many of our top targets.

The ramifications down the road if this becomes typical are unknown. We don’t really know why some recruits don’t choose us. Of course, some love Hugh and are committed. Doesn’t mean it won’t cost us players we really want down the road. I don’t see an upside so why risk a downside?

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I noticed the same and I think it is somewhat unusual for a coach to speak like this to the public. All the tough coaches mentioned go in hard at their players face to face, but present a unified front to anyone outside the team and coaching staff. If I remember correctly. 

I think we both know it's not a huge deal, even if we personally don't care for it. It's the kind of thing everyone will hate about the coach if he doesn't work out and no one will care if he wins a bunch of games. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

And Payton didn’t hear it until after the game. I doubt he was watching TV at the time. I’m sure he got a dose of tough love at half so I don’t know what value there was in the comment on TV. It just came off as frustration and finger pointing.

6 hours ago, AU_Canoe said:

I take it the “you” should be delivered directly and in person since it’s “direct feedback language”?

Coach them as hard as you want in private.  I have no issue with that.   But, I don't see ANY benefit of calling a specific player out on national tv and throwing him under the bus.   It projects a form of insecurity and excuses.   Why not say "we made some mistakes that we need to get cleaned up and that is on us as coaches as we need to coach better."  My biggest criticism of CHF is his willingness to call players/position groups out in public.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Coach them as hard as you want in private.  I have no issue with that.   But, I don't see ANY benefit of calling a specific player out on national tv and throwing him under the bus.   It projects a form of insecurity and excuses.   Why not say "we made some mistakes that we need to get cleaned up and that is on us as coaches as we need to coach better."  My biggest criticism of CHF is his willingness to call players/position groups out in public.   

Ditto. I’m old school. Not that every coach has to be one way, but I do think— would Dye do that? Don’t think so. He was hard as nails. It has nothing to do with the “frailty” of this generation. Shug wouldn’t do it, and gentleman that he was, his practices had legendary toughness. The new thing is not the weakness reflected in the new generation of player, but rather the coaches who engage in such behavior.

• Like 1

I have a solution for coaches possibly saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. Stop these stupid half-time and in-game interviews.

Edited by creed
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, creed said:

I have a solution for coaches possible saying the wrong thing and the wrong time. Stop these stupid half-time and in-game interviews.

Thank you! They are silly

• Like 2
  • Haha 1