Thorne in '24

LPTiger

My thoughts, which should prefaced by this disclaimer: I know nothing about football.

1. A hamburger looks pretty good unless it's sitting next to a ribeye steak.  Likewise, Peyton Thorne looks "good" only if you didn't watch the UA-LSU game Saturday night.  Both those teams have legitimately good QBs.  We've been QB-deprived for so long that any sign of life at that position looks "good".

2. Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner will both transfer soon after our bowl game.  I wish them well.

3. CHF will get next year's QB from the portal.  Once PT loses the starting job (in the spring), he too will transfer.

But I'm quite probably wrong.

Edited by WillMunny

13 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

But the broadcast Saturday said Auburn was in the bottom 3 for drops…meaning we hadn’t had many at all. Did anyone else catch this?

Yes, I saw that at the beginning of the Vandy game broadcast. Four drops all season up ‘til that point. And I was like, “how in the world is ESPN defining ‘drop’?”

55 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Yes, I saw that at the beginning of the Vandy game broadcast. Four drops all season up ‘til that point. And I was like, “how in the world is ESPN defining ‘drop’?”

Be skeptical.  "Hearing something during a broadcast" is almost equivalent to saying "I read it on the internet."  

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

one critique of Geriner is he is really really slow. i have no idea if it is true but it was mentioned by someone on the board recently.

As 14th best h.s. QB in US (pocket AND duals) Geriner has never been considered a dual-threat QB, although 247s Dir. of Scouting (Andrew Irvins) said Holden can extend plays & picks up yds w/ his legs. Last 2 yrs in h.s. he completed almost 68 %(!) of his passes (Freeze's most important QB trait) while throwing 61 TDs but only 6 ints(!) in Ga. class 4A.

Oh but wait, we already signed him and he's just awaiting playing time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WillMunny said:

A hamburger looks pretty good unless it's sitting next to a ribeye steak.  Likewise, Peyton Thorne looks "good" only if you didn't watch the UA-LSU game Saturday night.  Both those teams have legitimately good QBs.  We've been QB-deprived for so long that any sign of life at that position looks "good"

No doubt true, but how much better was Payton with Keon Coleman and Kenneth Walker III? He put up great numbers with them. Conversely, how different would Milroe or Daniels look without NFL talent all around them? 

16 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

But the broadcast Saturday said Auburn was in the bottom 3 for drops…meaning we hadn’t had many at all. Did anyone else catch this?

I would also say that we probably lead the SEC in fewest pass attemps so that might have something to do with it too.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Be skeptical.  "Hearing something during a broadcast" is almost equivalent to saying "I read it on the internet."  

I am close to 100% certain that AU receivers had dropped more than 4 passes prior to the Vandy game (at least my definition of "drop"). However, it was not something I "heard on the broadcast." It was an explicit graphic displayed at the bottom of the screen (and referenced by our good friend, play by play announcer Taylor Zarzour) that the ESPN production team had created specifically to air at the beginning of the game. The graphic showed that Auburn had "dropped" only 4 passes all season. I remember throwing a weird look at the tv screen when I heard/read it.

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

PT running for President in ‘24? 

I have been posting in this thread and it took me this long to have that thought right before I opened this post.  Dadgum.

For the record, I would vote for Payton Thorne over whoever either party trots out next November with a couple of long shot exceptions.  Please feel free to move this to the Poltical Forum as necessary.  

• Haha 1

I think the talk of Thorne being the presumed entrenched starter in '24 is premature. We've seen him look above average in two games against maybe 2 of the worst teams in the conference. Turnarounds have to start somewhere, so maybe that continues, or maybe he reverts back to holding the ball too long and taking 8 sacks when we face Bama.

I want us to go hard after top qb portal talent. So far of the candidates I've heard, I like Pratt the best. But I'd tamper pretty hard with Cameron Ward if there was any chance of luring him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

I would also say that we probably lead the SEC in fewest pass attemps so that might have something to do with it too.   

Probably need to know drops as a  percentage of pass attempts.

7 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Well up till that point, we only threw it 30 times. 🤪

13 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

Well up till that point, we only threw it 30 times. 🤪

After I posted that I went back and tallied our incomplete passes (minus interceptions) for the first 8 games. It was only about 30 opportunities for dropped passes, so maybe 4 was right??

I hate it for Robert, but I think he prob realized he gave it his best shot and just wasn’t enough for the starting spot here. I give the guy all the props for still fighting as adamantly as he did almost 3 months into the season 

He’ll leave and go to some mid major and get to have fun there and Auburn will give Geriner every chance to compete for the starting spot this offseason. I think this was the inevitability we all felt 

4 hours ago, Dwayne Pride said:

I have been posting in this thread and it took me this long to have that thought right before I opened this post.  Dadgum.

For the record, I would vote for Payton Thorne over whoever either party trots out next November with a couple of long shot exceptions.  Please feel free to move this to the Poltical Forum as necessary.  

I hope it wouldn’t be considered political to pick a healthy young man over two octogenarians that hold their breath every time they see a flight of stairs. It certainly shouldn’t be political lol 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I hope it wouldn’t be considered political to pick a healthy young man over two octogenarians that hold their breath every time they see a flight of stairs. It certainly shouldn’t be political lol 

Hey hey hey, no name calling

• Haha 2

On 11/6/2023 at 8:01 PM, Dwayne Pride said:

Is there anything to the rumor about a certain QB from Fairhope that currently resides in NC entering the portal?   That kid is a big baller shot caller.  He could even come off the bench for Pearl.  

I'm guessing there's something to the rumor...as in you started it? 😁

Edited by Swamp Eagle

9 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I'm guessing there's something to the rumor...as in you started it? 😁

It was floating around but apparently put to rest earlier this week. That was pointed out on Monday in this thread, I believe.  

Reading is fundamental. 

1 hour ago, Dwayne Pride said:

It was floating around but apparently put to rest earlier this week. That was pointed out on Monday in this thread, I believe.  

Reading is fundamental. 

You remember those RIF commercials, too, huh?