Thorne in '24

LPTiger

Our staff says there were 7 drops in the Vandy game.  With all the drops, Thorne is still sitting at a 64% completion rate.   If we eliminate half the drops, the man is over a 70% completion rate.   That is good enough to compete in nearly all games.  So what do we do in 24?   IMO, if PT looks good against the next three opponents, let's roll with PT in 24 and use the NIL money we would have spent on another QB and go and get a dominate WR and a dominate rush end.   Thoughts?  

• Like 3

I gotta believe they’ll try to bring in someone to compete with Thorne.  I think the Holden “had a great week of practice stuff” is just to help him find a good landing spot.  Robby will graduate and transfer out.   That’ll leave Hank and White.  Play calling and quality of opponent have really helped the past 2 weeks.  He needs his WRs and Oline to play better to be a good SEC QB.  Thorne will have a leg up on whoever they bring in.

• Like 1

I understand we are supposed to say good things here. Thorne has improved, but im not sure he starts next year. Just like you guys said Freeze will be all over the portal for qb competition. I wouldn’t doubt Holden and Robby leaving as well.  Just an opinion as I lay on my couch watching The Mule on Netflix . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is there anything to the rumor about a certain QB from Fairhope that currently resides in NC entering the portal?   That kid is a big baller shot caller.  He could even come off the bench for Pearl.  

22 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I gotta believe they’ll try to bring in someone to compete with Thorne.  I think the Holden “had a great week of practice stuff” is just to help him find a good landing spot.  Robby will graduate and transfer out.   That’ll leave Hank and White.  Play calling and quality of opponent have really helped the past 2 weeks.  He needs his WRs and Oline to play better to be a good SEC QB.  Thorne will have a leg up on whoever they bring in.

I’ve seen elsewhere that Holden throws beautifully, but is struggling a bit with RPOs. Allegedly didn’t have to make those kinds of reads in high school, and is struggling to pick up the concept. If that’s the case, the light could come on. I wouldn’t count him out. That said, it is telling about where he is right now. We had no answers on offense a few weeks ago, and they still didn’t give him a shot. Whatever his issue is right now, the coaches don’t think he is ready 

4 minutes ago, Dwayne Pride said:

Is there anything to the rumor about a certain QB from Fairhope that currently resides in NC entering the portal?   That kid is a big baller shot caller.  He could even come off the bench for Pearl.  

If you’re talking about the Duke kid JLee shot that down on their call in show last night. 

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

If you’re talking about the Duke kid JLee shot that down on their call in show last night. 

Well, dadgum.  

Seriously, I officiated some of his playoff basketball games his senior year.  He stood out.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScotsAU said:

I’ve seen elsewhere that Holden throws beautifully, but is struggling a bit with RPOs. Allegedly didn’t have to make those kinds of reads in high school, and is struggling to pick up the concept. If that’s the case, the light could come on. I wouldn’t count him out. That said, it is telling about where he is right now. We had no answers on offense a few weeks ago, and they still didn’t give him a shot. Whatever his issue is right now, the coaches don’t think he is ready 

I’m a Holden fan so I hope he does figure it out.  I’m not an X’s and O’s guy but the talking heads have said that is what Thorne was struggling with as well and they’ve gone away from it the past 2 games.  I think we’re gonna learn a lot the next 2 weeks.  If Ashford doesn’t play against Arkansas I’m not sure we’ll see him the rest of the year which would give Holden a chance against New Mexico State.  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Dwayne Pride said:

Well, dadgum.  

Seriously, I officiated some of his playoff basketball games his senior year.  He stood out.  

Who knows how these things play out long term.  If Jimbo gets canned I could see Elko getting a hard look.  Maybe that would change things?  Long way to go.

Just now, Win4AU said:

Who knows how these things play out long term.  If Jimbo gets canned I could see Elko getting a hard look.  Maybe that would change things?  Long way to go.

If Jimbo is going to continue to get paid, he should have to suffer through the 5-7 seasons and the criticism that comes with it.  

He is my least favorite coach ever that hasn’t been an Alabama head coach. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

But the broadcast Saturday said Auburn was in the bottom 3 for drops…meaning we hadn’t had many at all. Did anyone else catch this?

I saw that and had to rewind to make sure I saw it right.  I don’t think it was accurate.  I thought we had more drops than that against Cal.  It actually said we had only 3 drops coming into that game and we were 1st in the country.  

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

But the broadcast Saturday said Auburn was in the bottom 3 for drops…meaning we hadn’t had many at all. Did anyone else catch this?

I could see that.  Vandy and UGA were the only games I recall drops being an issue.  Thorne and Robby were straight poo for a lot of the games.  Maybe that was due to WRs not knowing the routes and bad throws but it wasn’t because of drops.  

31 minutes ago, Dwayne Pride said:

Leonard was rumored to be in the picture last offseason, didn’t work out.  BTW, his passing stats this year aren’t great.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Yeah, we were talking about it in another thread.  We seem to have at least 4-5  drops each game so not sure where they pulled that stat from.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

It’s pretty easy to accomplish when u only throw 6 times a game. It didn’t state how many attempts it was based on. 

Edited by e808
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Everybody loves Holden but like... Why? 

Because Harsin said he throws the best ball he's ever seen? So someone said he'd be a good mid-major QB I guess

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Because Harsin said he throws the best ball he's ever seen? So someone said he'd be a good mid-major QB I guess

Every football fan always fantasizes about the backup QB coming in and being the savior but more times than not the backup QB is the backup for a reason 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Geriner is a smart cookie, one of the most sought 4 star QBs in his class and he's been consistently praised by Freeze & co. His downside with fans will always be, he's NFL business-like vs exciting. Right now he has almost zero big league experience (unlike Big 10 Thorne) so it absolutely makes sense for Thorne to start and ease Holden in. Get rid if his green-ness. Absent injury or portal-mania, Holden Geriner should be IMHO and probably will be our 2025 QB.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Our staff says there were 7 drops in the Vandy game.  With all the drops, Thorne is still sitting at a 64% completion rate.   If we eliminate half the drops, the man is over a 70% completion rate.   That is good enough to compete in nearly all games.  So what do we do in 24?   IMO, if PT looks good against the next three opponents, let's roll with PT in 24 and use the NIL money we would have spent on another QB and go and get a dominate WR and a dominate rush end.   Thoughts?  

Payton could put up Heisman numbers in our next three games and Walker White is still coming.

Per norm: money is not a problem at Auburn. With the current administration, it looks like it’ll also be managed well.

9 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I heard that, but it wouldn’t surprise me since we had so few pass attempts early in the year vs most teams. 

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Geriner is a smart cookie, one of the most sought 4 star QBs in his class and he's been consistently praised by Freeze & co. His downside with fans will always be, he's NFL business-like vs exciting. Right now he has almost zero big league experience (unlike Big 10 Thorne) so it absolutely makes sense for Thorne to start and ease Holden in. Get rid if his green-ness. Absent injury or portal-mania, Holden Geriner should be IMHO and probably will be our 2025 QB.

one critique of Geriner is he is really really slow. i have no idea if it is true but it was mentioned by someone on the board recently.

12 hours ago, LPTiger said:

If we can find and get a more talented qb, we need to. Thorne is not elite. 

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

I think his quick release, down field accuracy, and arm strength.   He's a good QB that is learning a system that he's never been exposed to. I see more potential in HG than RA... At QB

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

I like him because he's a Georgia guy who I followed in his recruiting process. Seems like a decent kid who could throw a pretty ball.

• Like 1