Maybe Vivek isn’t nuts

auburnatl1

Ok, he’s annoying, clueless, and just says anything to make headlines and be provocative. A smarter mtg variant. But damn if this isn’t directionally tempting. 😇

image.thumb.png.1f40b91d70b733b5c81aebbc008fbcb1.png

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Ok, he’s annoying, clueless, and just says anything to make headlines and be provocative. A smarter mtg variant. But damn if this isn’t directionally tempting. 😇

He needs to define "federal bureaucrats."  It all sounds good until the consequences appear.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

It makes it easier to be an autocrat. It’s Trumpian if that’s appealing to you.

Government employees by and large stay very busy at their assigned jobs. They are required to carry out the laws congress has passed. If the aim is to cut the federal workforce by 50% the results would be tragic. For example, Social Security is backlogged now. Send half of the workers in your local office home and see what happens.

• Like 2

The problems have nothing to do his proposal.  Our spending (per capita) is in line with other developed countries (our military expenditures and, lack of social spending being exceptional).  Not to mention,,, most of our social programs have their own revenue stream outside of normal income taxes,,, employment taxes.

Our problems lie in taxation and inequality (privatization as well).

image.png

image.png

We either have to raise the rates or, reduce the loopholes (exceptions for those that demand REAL investment).  Pushing the burden down to the state level is entirely disingenuous as,,, every state in our country has a regressive tax structure.  The wealthiest country in history should not be creating poverty through inequality.  That is immoral, unpatriotic, unsustainable.

As the government goes further into debt, as the number of people living near/at/below the poverty line increases,,, the top .1% in this country have tripled their share of wealth since 1980 (seriously, they are over taxed?).

We need to balance the interests of society and capital, not merely surrender to the power of capital.  If we wish to live in a better society,,, the answer is clear.  And again,,, broadening the economy will also broaden the tax base.

This idea of a weak government with a strongman leader is purely ignorant, undemocratic, certainly not what functioning capitalism is about.  For the love of God,,, please stop promoting inequality.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Government employees by and large stay very busy at their assigned jobs. They are required to carry out the laws congress has passed. If the aim is to cut the federal workforce by 50% the results would be tragic. For example, Social Security is backlogged now. Send half of the workers in your local office home and see what happens.

Mikey talking sense! 👀💯😲

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I think he stayed logged in with his browser open at a public computer and somebody else sat down and typed that out. 

You’re a younger person, but social security concerns tend to be bipartisan at a certain age. 😉

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I think he stayed logged in with his browser open at a public computer and somebody else sat down and typed that out. 

I worked my butt off for 31 years as a federal government employee. (U.S. Dept. of Agriculture) No telling how many Saturdays I went in and worked "off the books" just to help my farmer clients. I wasn't alone and USDA isn't the only department that has people doing things like this. It's too bad those at the top don't share the same sense of obligation.

Speaking of Social Security, I called for an appointment earlier this week. I'm scheduled for December 20th. Does the Swami think this is fine?

• Like 4

On 11/14/2023 at 7:38 AM, Mikey said:

Depends on what 50 you fire.   If you fire the 50 that are productive, yes screwed, 50 that don’t do anything, good idea.  

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Depends on what 50 you fire.   If you fire the 50 that are productive, yes screwed, 50 that don’t do anything, good idea.  

If you are implying that 50% of Govt. employees do nothing, you are incorrect. I've been to WDC and seen how those people there run their tails off. I've seen and known people in Alabama who work long days and weekends "off the books" just to try to keep current. How long to you think such folks would put up with a slacker in their office?

It's a myth that government employees can't be fired. I fired two in my day who didn't want to work. It takes about 60 days from start of the process to issuing a final check. I also bore witness to four others being fired for incompetence. I had to take over their office, hire new people and set things to rights. Federal employees can be fired just like anybody else.

If you're talking about politicians, I wouldn't know. They were above my level of first-hand knowledge.

• Like 3

The problem is not the structure of our government.  The problem lies in the fact that WE have allowed the government to be compromised, purchased, corrupted by the wealthy.  WE have legalized corruption by not legislating limits on PACs, lobbyists, insider trading, (term limits?).  We have reinforced the idea that money should have an outspoken voice in the political process through Citizens United.

We are diminishing democracy in every way.

Our government has become nothing but a scam.  It is about political power serving economic power.  WE allow it.  WE vote for it.  WE want to be their servants.  WE are cowards and no longer deserve democracy.

On 11/13/2023 at 7:13 PM, auburnatl1 said:

Most of what he says sounds good, but he’s controlled opposition.  Wouldn’t trust him to be Trump’s VP.

1 minute ago, AUApostle said:

Most of what he says sounds good, but he’s controlled opposition.  Wouldn’t trust him to be Trump’s VP.

Potentially the most personally dislikable politician person I’ve ever seen. Makes MTG seem pleasant.