Freeze Press Conference - Iron Bowl Week

Paladin

Quick Quotes: Freeze on New Mexico State loss, his first Iron Bowl

Freeze looks to turn the page from a head-scratching loss to a big opportunity at home in the Iron Bowl

NATHAN KING11 mins11

Hugh Freeze's first Iron Bowl has quite an unexpected backdrop after last Saturday.

Instead of a four-game winning streak entering a home matchup against their biggest rivals, the Tigers were stunned by New Mexico State, 31-10 at Jordan-Hare Stadium. And after its worst performance of the season, Auburn now hosts an Alabama team that's won nine straight games after a rocky start to the season. The Tigers opened as 14.5-point underdogs Sunday afternoon.

Follow along here for live updates from Freeze's Monday press conference.

* Freeze: "About as disappointed as I've ever been in coaching with Saturday's effort. It's an embarrassment, and it can't happen like that. It starts with me."

* "The greatest challenge we probably have now ... is true connection to where, 'Man, I'm really playing for you and the school.' When you have that true connection and relationship, you can really hold each other accountable."

* "We've quickly got to turn the page and put that behind us because we all know what the Iron Bowl means to so many."

* Freeze calls Alabama "the best team I've seen on film at the point which we're playing them."

* Can this team respond to a stunning loss in way that can lead to a competitive Iron Bowl:  "I don't know yet. I sure hope so."

* "Most everybody I've seen is in a fog from what happened Saturday. We need to snap out of that fast."

* Freeze's Monday lesson this week is about focus: "We'll see if they respond. They have a choice."

* Freeze says on Saturday morning before the game that "I was nervous, anxious" that the team would handle the New Mexico State game with the right mindset.

* Freeze says he didn't watch the Kick Six live, but afterwards, "I couldn't wait to call Gus."

* Freeze: "We're in a rebuild. That's no excuse for what happened Saturday."

* Freeze says Auburn had more missed tackles against New Mexico State than the previous three games combined.

* Freeze says Tuesday's practice has to "set the tone" for Auburn to have a chance to succeed against Alabama. Says the focus on the game plan for New Mexico State was "lacking."

* Freeze hopes Auburn fans are on "another level" in the Iron Bowl.

Edited by Paladin
Video added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NoALtiger said:

We are only 14.5 underdogs?? Sorry but that doesn’t seem right. 

It’s a betting line.   It’s made to get people to bet one way or the other.   Just follow the line and you will see how people are betting and how they feel about who’s the better team 

5 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

We are only 14.5 underdogs?? Sorry but that doesn’t seem right. 

Absolutely agree . Should be at least 17. Bama is hot and Auburn just laid an egg🤔. I do expect Auburn to play better but this doesn’t look right

18 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Freeze: "We're in a rebuild. That's no excuse for what happened Saturday."

Hugh himself is "antifreeze"???

• Haha 1

• Paladin changed the title to Freeze Press Conference - Iron Bowl Week
10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Hugh himself is "antifreeze"???

Ban him from the forum. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Didn’t he get the memo?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paladin said:

Freeze hopes Auburn fans are on "another level" in the Iron Bowl.

The fans hope the team is on another level as well. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Paladin said:

Most everybody I've seen is in a fog from what happened Saturday. We need to snap out of that fast

I respect any player that can bounce back from a game like that and get ready to play arguably the hottest team in the sport rn. Coaches will certainly earn their bag this week 

• Like 1

I’ve always complained about “coachspeak” but it’s so strange to hear a coach say, “I don’t know, I hope so.”

Im still all-in on Freeze, just interesting that after this year it turns out I don’t mine the generic answers as much as I thought. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 7:14 PM, AuburnEagle79 said:

I’ve always complained about “coachspeak” but it’s so strange to hear a coach say, “I don’t know, I hope so.”

He's not a sunshine pumper, that's for sure. 

It really is a little concerning though...I can't imagine the players getting pumped up with that being the Coach's demeanor. 

1 hour ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

He's not a sunshine pumper, that's for sure. 

It really is a little concerning though...I can't imagine the players getting pumped up with that being the Coach's demeanor. 

I’d imagine his persona in press conferences and how he speaks to the team is different. 

On 11/20/2023 at 9:42 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

The most telling statement. 

This is the player that NIL and an unmanaged portal gets you...

Screenshot_20231120_214022_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Some of us “old people” said this from the “get go”. We were met with derision. Oh well, you really do get what you paid for.

• Thanks 1