2024 QB Portal Thread

Paladin

56 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

They are out front, but until he is signed.... My point is that we have things to offer, in addition to $.

No doubt!  No one can match our proximity to to the eastern time zone!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bishoptf said:

I guess I am more of a free market, people should be paid what they are worth, many of these kids will not go on to play NFL ball and this money will help them on there career outside of football. They are putting there physical bodies on the line every time they go out there and why should the university, or espn or anyone else make the boat loads that they have been getting for some time and the kids not get a piece of it. I don't disagree that I wish more money could be used for some of the less popular sports but the football program bringing in money does help provide those other sports to be played. QB and some positions will also just draw higher prices since they are a key piece, just my humble opinion. 

All these years working for my corporate overlords kind of has changed my outlook on things...

They've always been paid. The elite ones at least. It's public now so people aren't that comfortable with it. I don't know why, Auburn has sure benefited from paying players in the past. Paying a college athlete is only "taboo" because the newspaper and TV said it was for decades. You tune in every week, and you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Doesn't seem to bother people. Who really cares? It's not a zero-sum game nor does it guarantee victory or championships.

They don't just get paid in money. They receive goods and services and things beyond material goods.

Remember the ESPN 30 for 30 Pony Excess? That one SMU player's family was offered livestock lol it's not blood-stained dollars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bishoptf said:

I guess I am more of a free market, people should be paid what they are worth, many of these kids will not go on to play NFL ball and this money will help them on there career outside of football. They are putting there physical bodies on the line every time they go out there and why should the university, or espn or anyone else make the boat loads that they have been getting for some time and the kids not get a piece of it. I don't disagree that I wish more money could be used for some of the less popular sports but the football program bringing in money does help provide those other sports to be played. QB and some positions will also just draw higher prices since they are a key piece, just my humble opinion. 

All these years working for my corporate overlords kind of has changed my outlook on things...

The many of these kids you mentioned are not the same ones getting the millions.

1 hour ago, VicTree said:

No doubt!  No one can match our proximity to to the eastern time zone!

Or the young lady that he is in a relationship with.  Proximity to her could outweigh the time zone.... call it a hunch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'd a lot rather the pool of NIL money be used to make the baseball, softball and and athletes in similar partial scholarship sports whole but that ain't happening.

Actually, around half of it is.

Juust a heads up for @ScotsAU & everyone else, merging this thread with the 2024 QB portal thread we have in the recruiting forum then moving the merged thread to the recruiting forum.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

So Ward and Leonard are our optimal options as of now?

No clue on Ward. Leonard looks to be ND bound.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Gowebb11 He's one people are watching.

Thanks. He’s put up some great numbers and he’s just a sophomore. Looks strong tonight. 

On 11/29/2023 at 6:49 PM, GwillMac6 said:

He hasn’t played in almost a month and a half. Got a nasty concussion.

I'm sure he wasn't in a hurry to return either. Coastal's new coach sucks. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

No clue on Ward. Leonard looks to be ND bound.

I thought Riley to ND was a forgone conclusion as soon as he hit the portal. 

I'll pass on Will Howard and KJ. Howard is very inconsistent. One moment he looks like an NFL QB and then the next moment you're like WT% who is he throwing too. He lost me some good money this season. 

I've wanted Grayson since HF arrived. Ward would be my second choice. 

9 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I thought Riley to ND was a forgone conclusion as soon as he hit the portal. 

@WarEagle1983 Nope. We were on him early & almost had him locked up before RL's agent got ND involved.

• Like 1

SIAP 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bleacher Report lists Auburn as a possible destination for UCLA quarterback Dante Moore

Oct 14, 2023; Corvallis, Oregon, USA; UCLA Bruins quarterback Dante Moore (3) warms up before the game against the Oregon State Beavers at Reser Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Soobum Im-USA TODAY Sports

Taylor Jones 

follow

December 2, 2023 6:00 am CT

ADVERTISEMENT

After spending just one season at UCLA, the nation’s No. 3 quarterback from the 2023 cycle is back on the market.

Dante Moore, a former five-star quarterback from Detroit, Michigan, signed with Chip Kelly and UCLA just two days after backing off his pledge to Oregon.

He was one of the top quarterbacks from the 2024 class, as Texas‘ Arch Manning and Tennessee‘s Nico Iamaleava were the only two quarterbacks ranked higher than Moore. Now that he is in the transfer portal, he is considered the best available option according to 247Sports.

Could Auburn use his services? Francisco Rosa of Bleacher Report believes Moore would be a great fit for head coach Hugh Freeze’s system.

Rosa cites Freeze’s development of Chad Kelly, Stephen Calvert, and Malik Willis as reasons for the fit. He also feels that the receivers in Auburn’s upcoming recruiting class will benefit Moore’s development.

And as he enters his second season at Auburn, Freeze has managed to get a top-20 recruiting class in the nation that includes five-star wideout Perry Thompson, potentially giving someone like Moore an elite weapon on the outside.

If Moore wants to head to the most competitive conference in the country and show what he’s made of, Auburn may be the best place to do it and Freeze may be the best coach to get it out of him.

Allen Trieu of 247Sports believes that Moore is a first-round talent due to his maturity, strong arm, and ability to perform well in clutch situations.

Auburn has been linked to several transfer quarterbacks such as Arkansas‘ KJ Jefferson, Mississippi State’s Will Rogers, and Duke’s Riley Leonard. Moore’s situation compared to the previous three is unique due to eligibility.

If Auburn were to take on Jefferson, Rogers, or Leonard, they would have them for one season. Moore, however, has three seasons of eligibility remaining. If Moore were to come to Auburn and perform at the level that he is expected, he could declare for the NFL draft after two seasons on the Plains, which would give incoming freshman Walker White more time to develop into an SEC quarterback.

As a true freshman, Moore competed in nine games for UCLA where he threw for 1,610 yards, 11 touchdowns, and nine interceptions.

• Like 3

Auburn Needs To Target These QBs In The Transfer Portal 

Auburn has been looking for consistency at the quarterback position ever since Heisman front-runner Bo Nix left for Oregon.

With the transfer portal heating up and starters at multiple programs jumping into the portal Auburn looks to find a new signal caller for the 2024-2025 season.

Let's see who Auburn could target in the portal.

Before we get into the article, make sure to check out Fanatics! Fanatics.com has all of the best NCAA football fan gear!

The Candidates

Will Howard, Kansas State, 6'5, 242

Career Stats

5,786 passing yards

48 passing touchdowns

25 interceptions

58.8 completion %

135.1 Passing Efficiency Rating

921 rushing yards

19 touchdowns

Why He Makes Sense

Howard, who has spent the past four years at Kansas State, has decided to enter the transfer portal. According to On3, Auburn, Kentucky, Louisville, Missouri, and Washington are all potential destinations for him. Additionally, he has the option to enter the NFL Draft if he so chooses.

Will Rodgers, Mississippi State, 6'2, 215

Career Stats

12,315 passing yards

94 passing touchdowns

28 interceptions

69.3 completion %

138 Passing Efficiency Rating

Why He Makes Sense

Rodgers is a record holder at Mississippi State for having the most passing yards and touchdowns. He also ranks second and fourth in SEC history for passing yards and touchdowns respectively. It would make sense for Hugh Freeze to recruit Rodgers, given his experience in the conference.

Riley Leonard, Duke, 6'4, 212

Career Stats

4,450 passing yards

24 passing touchdowns

10 interceptions

61.7 completion %

131 Passing Efficiency Rating

1,224 rushing yards

19 rushing touchdowns

Why He Makes Sense

After Duke head coach Mike Elko accepted the coaching job at Texas A&M, Leonard entered the transfer portal. Both Auburn and Notre Dame are considered front-runners for Leonard's transfer, according to On3.

According to several recruiting experts on 247Sports, Notre Dame is currently the favored team in Leonard's early recruitment. However, I still believe Auburn has a chance to land Leonard, given that he is a native of Alabama, specifically Fairhope, AL.

Grayson McCall, Coastal Carolina, 6'3, 200

Career Stats

10,005 passing yards

88 passing touchdowns

14 interceptions

69.9 completion %

178.4 Passing Efficiency Rating

1,113 rushing yards

18 touchdowns

Why He Makes Sense

When Hugh Freeze was hired as the head coach of the Tigers, he built his staff and started pursuing McCall in the portal. Although McCall canceled his visit to Auburn last off-season, Hugh Freeze and his staff are known for their persistence in recruiting. They were successful in flipping Perry Thompson, Jamonta Waller, and Demarcus Riddick from other big-time programs. In this case, I believe Hugh Freeze and his team will have the same mindset and continue to pursue McCall. If they can land him, it would be a significant win for the Tigers.

Summary

Based on all the information I have gathered, these are the primary quarterbacks that you should keep an eye on in the transfer portal. It's worth noting that we might see more quarterbacks join the portal since it only becomes officially open on December 4th at midnight. However, there are exceptions to this rule as players whose coach has been fired or left can enter the portal before this date.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Auburn Needs To Target These QBs In The Transfer Portal 

Auburn has been looking for consistency at the quarterback position ever since Heisman front-runner Bo Nix left for Oregon.

With the transfer portal heating up and starters at multiple programs jumping into the portal Auburn looks to find a new signal caller for the 2024-2025 season.

Let's see who Auburn could target in the portal.

Before we get into the article, make sure to check out Fanatics! Fanatics.com has all of the best NCAA football fan gear!

The Candidates

Will Howard, Kansas State, 6'5, 242

Career Stats

5,786 passing yards

48 passing touchdowns

25 interceptions

58.8 completion %

135.1 Passing Efficiency Rating

921 rushing yards

19 touchdowns

Why He Makes Sense

Howard, who has spent the past four years at Kansas State, has decided to enter the transfer portal. According to On3, Auburn, Kentucky, Louisville, Missouri, and Washington are all potential destinations for him. Additionally, he has the option to enter the NFL Draft if he so chooses.

Will Rodgers, Mississippi State, 6'2, 215

Career Stats

12,315 passing yards

94 passing touchdowns

28 interceptions

69.3 completion %

138 Passing Efficiency Rating

Why He Makes Sense

Rodgers is a record holder at Mississippi State for having the most passing yards and touchdowns. He also ranks second and fourth in SEC history for passing yards and touchdowns respectively. It would make sense for Hugh Freeze to recruit Rodgers, given his experience in the conference.

Riley Leonard, Duke, 6'4, 212

Career Stats

4,450 passing yards

24 passing touchdowns

10 interceptions

61.7 completion %

131 Passing Efficiency Rating

1,224 rushing yards

19 rushing touchdowns

Why He Makes Sense

After Duke head coach Mike Elko accepted the coaching job at Texas A&M, Leonard entered the transfer portal. Both Auburn and Notre Dame are considered front-runners for Leonard's transfer, according to On3.

According to several recruiting experts on 247Sports, Notre Dame is currently the favored team in Leonard's early recruitment. However, I still believe Auburn has a chance to land Leonard, given that he is a native of Alabama, specifically Fairhope, AL.

Grayson McCall, Coastal Carolina, 6'3, 200

Career Stats

10,005 passing yards

88 passing touchdowns

14 interceptions

69.9 completion %

178.4 Passing Efficiency Rating

1,113 rushing yards

18 touchdowns

Why He Makes Sense

When Hugh Freeze was hired as the head coach of the Tigers, he built his staff and started pursuing McCall in the portal. Although McCall canceled his visit to Auburn last off-season, Hugh Freeze and his staff are known for their persistence in recruiting. They were successful in flipping Perry Thompson, Jamonta Waller, and Demarcus Riddick from other big-time programs. In this case, I believe Hugh Freeze and his team will have the same mindset and continue to pursue McCall. If they can land him, it would be a significant win for the Tigers.

Summary

Based on all the information I have gathered, these are the primary quarterbacks that you should keep an eye on in the transfer portal. It's worth noting that we might see more quarterbacks join the portal since it only becomes officially open on December 4th at midnight. However, there are exceptions to this rule as players whose coach has been fired or left can enter the portal before this date.

Author?

On 12/1/2023 at 2:54 PM, AU9377 said:

They are out front, but until he is signed.... My point is that we have things to offer, in addition to $.

How are we supposed to get our bids in when he doesn’t want to be contacted by teams?  I mean our coach has to make contact to throw out the AU sales pitch somehow.