2024 Football Schedule

W.E.D

This is a very manageable schedule when you look at how it lined up for our opponents. Bama plays Oklahoma on the road the week before the iron bowl. UGA plays Bama on the road before our game with them. Oklahoma plays UT the week before traveling to JHS. We are wedges between road trips against UF and Tennessee on Uk’s schedule. Not going to make a prediction this early until I see who we sign out of high school and through the portal. But this is a pretty darn forgiving schedule. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ScotsAU said:

This is a very manageable schedule when you look at how it lined up for our opponents. Bama plays Oklahoma on the road the week before the iron bowl. UGA plays Bama on the road before our game with them. Oklahoma plays UT the week before traveling to JHS. We are wedges between road trips against UF and Tennessee on Uk’s schedule. Not going to make a prediction this early until I see who we sign out of high school and through the portal. But this is a pretty darn forgiving schedule. 

I agree it lays our pretty evenly for us.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

We have that tough stretch of Oklahoma/Georgia/Mizzou but aside from that this schedule is definitely not the worst.  

Florida’s schedule would make me cry as a UF fan.  Brutal.  

Not as bad as it looks. There’s a bye week before Mizzou. Okie and UGA will be coming off harder games than ours in the previous week. Before our match up with Okie, we play Arkansas, and they play Tennessee. Before our match up with UGA, we do play Okie (but at home), while UGA has to play AT Bama that week.

Not saying much but this is definitely our most favorable even year schedule since 2010.

(For some reason, I always preferred even years being more favorable, which obviously changed when A&M and Missouri joined. I liked having all our toughest games aside from UAT being on the opposite rotation.)

Edited by AUwent

33 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

4-0 going into OU. We will learn a lot about this team after the next 4.

I think 8-4 is realistic. Depends on the portal.  

I’m trying to temper my expectations. But who do you see at the 4 losses? The only 2 I see are Bama and UGA.

Edited by ScotsAU

3 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I’m trying to temper my expectations. But who do you see at the 4 losses? The only 2 I see are Bama and UGA.

Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma and Texas A&M should be able to out roster Auburn fairly easily.  It could also be argued that Kentucky and Missouri out roster Auburn and they’re on the road.  If the offense can come out humming then maybe those rosters look a little more even?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma and Texas A&M should be able to out roster Auburn fairly easily.  It could also be argued that Kentucky and Missouri out roster Auburn and they’re on the road.  If the offense can come out humming then maybe those rosters look a little more even?

I can see why you think TAMU and Oklahoma should be difficult. Here’s why I think those games are very winnable. First, both these games are at home, which means we should be in them late. It’s rare for us to get obliterated at home. They have recruited better. Oklahoma has looked kind of meh since Venables took over. They lost their OC and replaced him with a pretty unremarkable hire. 

I’m personally not sold on the Elmo hire for TAMU. They had offensive issues galore last year, and decided to make a defensive head coaching hire. They also didn’t really make an impressive OC hire. So I can see these games as losses, but I don’t think we can shrug either off as probable losses. 

As for UK and Mizzou, they don’t have better talent. Recruiting rankings 2020-present:

- Auburn: 7, 19, 21, 18, 11

- UK recruiting since 2020: 25, 35, 15, 32, 24

-Mizzou recruiting since 2020: 50, 25, 14, 34, 35

As lackluster as it’s been, we still have more talent than those 2. The only year they recruited better was between Harsin’s first and second years. This also doesn’t account for portal players, where Auburn has done better than both these schools. We especially shouldn’t expect a loss to UK. They’ve been trending down the last few years, and that game is smack between two of UK’s most difficult road games. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Aug. 31: Alabama A&M

Sep. 7: Cal

Sep. 14: New Mexico

Sep. 21: Arkansas

Sep. 28: Oklahoma

Oct. 5: at Georgia

Oct. 12: BYE

Oct. 19: at Missouri

Oct. 26: at Kentucky

Nov. 2: Vanderbilt

Nov. 9: BYE

Nov. 16: UL Monroe

Nov. 23: Texas A&M

Nov. 30 at Alabama

6-6 , maybe 7-5.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

6-6 as of today

Only if we get dinged up at a number of positions. We should be no worse than 8–4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Oklahoma…should be able to out roster Auburn fairly easily

That same Oklahoma team lost to Oklahoma State this year who got blasted at home by south Alabama 33–7. It doesn’t matter if they can out roster us. Being Oklahoma means they’re going to have a tough ass time beating us in our house.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

That same Oklahoma team lost to Oklahoma State this year who got blasted at home by south Alabama 33–7. It doesn’t matter if they can out roster us. Being Oklahoma means they’re going to have a tough ass time. beating us in our house.

Yeah. I don’t think people have payed enough attention to Oklahoma lately. They had a losing season last year, and their losses this year were to pretty unimpressive  teams. Not saying we win. But it makes no sense to write that game off as a probable loss.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Only if we get dinged up at a number of positions. We should be no worse than 8–4.

8-4 is my prediction as well for 2024. Improvement over this season and moving in the right direction. Reasonable expectations given where we had fallen to. I think 2025 is the year we make the 12 team playoff.

49 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

8-4 is my prediction as well for 2024. Improvement over this season and moving in the right direction. Reasonable expectations given where we had fallen to. I think 2025 is the year we make the 12 team playoff.

That’s one dynamic that I can’t figure out how to project. Right now, once you get that second loss, your NC chances pretty much drop to 0. Starting next year… not at all the case.  I’d have to think that will have some kind of effect on teams with 1-2 losses. 

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

That same Oklahoma team lost to Oklahoma State this year who got blasted at home by south Alabama 33–7. It doesn’t matter if they can out roster us. Being Oklahoma means they’re going to have a tough ass time beating us in our house.

They also beat Texas, possibly have an elite QB, and didn't lose to New Mexico State vs trying to pull the transitive property of an opponents loss two times removed.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ha. That's a tad bullish. 6 teams on our schedule are more talented than our roster

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Ha. That's a tad bullish. 6 teams on our schedule are more talented than our roster

People are using the same arguments  that make no sense. OU loss to Oklahoma state this year and would dog walk us. 

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

People are using the same arguments  that make no sense. OU loss to Oklahoma state this year and would dog walk us. 

Let's ignore who we lost to.

God help us if Thorne throws for 200 yards. The optimism will be off the charts

57 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Let's ignore who we lost to.

God help us if Thorne throws for 200 yards. The optimism will be off the charts

It’s a vicious cycle and when we don’t meet their standards , they will say the team is too young. Missouri is improving , you can’t over look Kentucky , Arkansas we should win but the caveat is they have Petrino back , Oklahoma will be good , Texas A&M is still talented.

• Like 2