Russia

LPTiger

CNN is reporting that Russia has lost 87% of its active duty troops in the war with Ukraine and 67% of its tanks...  Is this reality or propaganda intended to urge congress to give more $$$ to Ukraine and not tie additional funding to our own border security....

13 hours ago, LPTiger said:

propaganda intended to urge congress to give more $$$ to Ukraine and not tie additional funding to our own border security....

Certainly propaganda considering how closely the two are linked.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Certainly propaganda considering how closely the two are linked.

The article says Russia has 360,000 active members including contract and conscript personnel...    I see earlier estimates online of 900,000....

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

The article says Russia has 360,000 active members including contract and conscript personnel...    I see earlier estimates online of 900,000....

Yes and consequently, we need to tie those numbers to border security.  People do not understand that we are under siege from Central and South America. 

We are a poor country and cannot afford to help the Ukraine while our own country is under attack.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Yes and consequently, we need to tie those numbers to border security.  People do not understand that we are under siege from Central and South America. 

We are a poor country and cannot afford to help the Ukraine while our own country is under attack.

I think we should continue to help Ukraine to an extent but we must as you said stop the siege from our south.   I'm sure there are many really good folks just trying to make a better life for their family, but there are also a bunch of scoundrels.  We need to be able to accurately sort them out.   Both parties also have to quit spending money like we do.   The deficit, long term, simply isn't sustainable, and we have too many in congress who know they will not be around when the debt collector comes calling.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

I think we should continue to help Ukraine to an extent but we must as you said stop the siege from our south.   I'm sure there are many really good folks just trying to make a better life for their family, but there are also a bunch of scoundrels.  We need to be able to accurately sort them out.   Both parties also have to quit spending money like we do.   The deficit, long term, simply isn't sustainable, and we have too many in congress who know they will not be around when the debt collector comes calling.   

You do realize he’s “taking the piss” with the siege stuff, right. 

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:35 PM, LPTiger said:

Sorry to break it to you LP, but he’s “pissing down your leg”.    If it were up to him, there would not be a border at all.   

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 12/13/2023 at 5:16 PM, AUDub said:

You do realize he’s “taking the piss” with the siege stuff, right. 

I'm pretty sure LP understands that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm pretty sure LP understands that.

I get nothing but facepalms from Ican't.   When we are in agreement I know either (1) he is back on his medication or (2) someone has stolen his device.

• Haha 2

Ukraine has home field advantage, more motivated soldiers, and superior western weapons. Russia has over 3 times the population, air power, and can attack Ukrainian infrastructure and civilians (while Ukraine has been told not to attack inside Russia).

Im sure Russia is taking on more many more casualties,  the problem is Putin has more population  to conscript from. 

Finally,  in addition to the US and Europe beginning to question budgets, Ukraine is a democracy, Russia isn’t. And democracies don’t stay the course well in long wars.  My instincts are this thing will be ended by treaty in 12 months. And without a major breakthrough - basically back where it started. And aside from the wasted lives and money - nothing really resolved. In the long term Putin still wants Ukraine and potentially beyond that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

If true, that is a strategic error,,, IMHO.

Fear of escalating war, tactical nukes, ect. Major military disadvantage for Ukraine.

4 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

And aside from the wasted lives and money - nothing really resolved. 

Also the damage to infrastructure, government buildings, commercial buildings, residential buildings, individual homes....   Rebuilding is daunting...

On 12/12/2023 at 9:17 PM, LPTiger said:

CNN is reporting that Russia has lost 87% of its active duty troops in the war with Ukraine and 67% of its tanks...  Is this reality or propaganda intended to urge congress to give more $$$ to Ukraine and not tie additional funding to our own border security....

The report, which is sourced as coming from de-classified U.S. intelligence assessments as provided to Congress, states 87 percent of the total number of active-duty ground troops it had prior to launching its  invasion of Ukraine.  Since the invasion began, Russia implemented a massive draft, enlisting approx 300,000 additional troops.   Should they not report intelligence assessments that are made available?

There is a big difference between "active duty troops" and "active duty GROUND troops"....

Edited by AU9377