Hugh Freeze Is Doing Things

Browning4AU

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Just curious which HCs were real possibilities that our University could have hired that were void of past scrutiny/questions/judgements. 

The three names we kept hearing were Kiffin, Freeze and Prime, in that order of likelihood. Kiffin and Prime def have had their past scrutinized.

So who else was a real possibility?

No great point actually, Viper. When you think about it, just about everyone had some flaws. I think CHF’s visibility as a holy-seeking man made his transgressions the more difficult. You’re exactly right. 

Side note, Mario C was almost a done deal before Harsin, and Kiffin before CHF.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

No great point actually, Viper. When you think about it, just about everyone had some flaws. I think CHF’s visibility as a holy-seeking man made his transgressions the more difficult. You’re exactly right. 

Even without the holy-seeking aspect applied, Freeze’s mistake was a giant one in comparison to Kiffin’s and Prime’s past mistakes.

I’m sure that was a major reason Harsin was hired after Mario and Napier told us no thanks. Harsin had a near spotless record because he was a nobody.

And yes, out of all the real possibilities in 2020, I wanted Mario. Still an awesome recruiter, but obviously still lacking on the field.

I never wanted Kiffin. Cannot stand the guy. He’s dramatically improved in recruiting, but he’s still an arrogant smug prick. Much rather have Pastor Freeze and his past baggage. People forgive and move on. Hell, look where Petrino is coaching.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Reminder to take religious debate to the political forum.

What is the stuff about Liberty Bowl? Is the Music City Bowl today the old Liberty Bowl?

Liberty Bowl vs Ole Miss is the first Auburn game I can remember seeing televised. Black and white television in the 60s. We had a fullback named Tom Bryan #19. Recall thinking he was the greatest. He had long run yet we lost 13-7. Had a great linebacker named Bill Cody. Pretty sure #11.

38 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

What is the stuff about Liberty Bowl? Is the Music City Bowl today the old Liberty Bowl?

Liberty Bowl vs Ole Miss is the first Auburn game I can remember seeing televised. Black and white television in the 60s. We had a fullback named Tom Bryan #19. Recall thinking he was the greatest. He had long run yet we lost 13-7. Had a great linebacker named Bill Cody. Pretty sure #11.

Two different bowls. Iowa State & Memphis play this year in the Liberty. 

On 12/24/2023 at 5:44 AM, gr82be said:

It’s looking a whole lot like we got it right this time. Good and positive things happening in recruiting. While NIL is a game changer for Auburn, Hugh Freeze is showing he’s more than capable of handling the role as the steward of Auburn football. It just might be that we needed a broken man to fix a broken program and I think we are going to see the rise and redemption of both.

Dead on brother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 12/27/2023 at 10:27 AM, GreenTiger said:

Fascinating that you would use the differentiation example of “ true Christian” to explain away the us vs them theological distortion found in so many religious tribes. Btw..Out of the 40,000 plus Christian denominations which ones are the “true Christians” ???  

Southern Baptist.  It’s in Corinthians somewhere.  

• Haha 2

On 12/27/2023 at 11:35 AM, Viper said:

I’ve got a bud who still truly believes Harsin is going to rip it up at his next major P5 stop and make us regret it. I keep asking him which team he’s going to coach from the Bahamas (paid for by Auburn University).

Your friend needs serious help.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

Your friend needs serious help.  

He’s just one of those fans that’s loyal to every HC.

In all seriousness, Harsin could rip it up at a podunk NW program like Idaho.

On 12/27/2023 at 1:24 PM, Viper said:

I could never prove it, but my thoughts have remained that Freeze himself was more focused on recruiting than on-the-field coaching, knowing that a 6-6 season would not prevent a Top 10 class.

Now I can prove it…

On 12/27/2023 at 9:34 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Tom Bryan was a QB at AU. Was that the bowl game against Archie Manning and Ole Miss?

1 hour ago, Mondo Cane said:

Well this certainly aged well (not).

Kiffin recruited a wee bit better than Gus in 2020 & Harsin.

Plus this is his 4th season vs. Freeze's 1st.

If some SEC HC in his 1st season beats Freeze in his 4th in 2026, then you'll have a point.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Kiffin recruited a wee bit better than Gus in 2020 & Harsin.

Plus this is his 4th season vs. Freeze's 1st.

If some SEC HC in his 1st season beats Freeze in his 4th in 2026, then you'll have a point.

You taking Freeze or Kiff for actual football coaching and play calling? 

5 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

At this point I want Freeze as HC and Kiffin for OC!! Great recruiting, play calling and portal recruiting. Good on all fronts.

12 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Tom Bryan was a QB at AU. Was that the bowl game against Archie Manning and Ole Miss?

It was Pat Sullivan vs. Archie Manning in the Gator Bowl following the 1970 season. Auburn won 35-28.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

At this point I want Freeze as HC and Kiffin for OC!! Great recruiting, play calling and portal recruiting. Good on all fronts.

Sure! Let’s throw Saban in as the DC while we are dreaming 

29 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

If we're deciding between just the two...

Playcalling - Kiffin

Coaching (which includes recruiting) - Freeze

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Tom Bryan was a fullback and backup QB in the 60’s.

Pat Sullivan was our quarterback vs Archie in the Gator Bowl 71’. We won 35-28 in a great game.

Archie and Pat became life long friends. Was attending a wedding party in NOLA the morning Pat passed away. Archie was there and when introduced as an Auburn guy told me about the early morning call he received.

15 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Tom Bryan was a fullback and backup QB in the 60’s.

Pat Sullivan was our quarterback vs Archie in the Gator Bowl 71’. We won 35-28 in a great game.

Archie and Pat became life long friends. Was attending a wedding party in NOLA the morning Pat passed away. Archie was there and when introduced as an Auburn guy told me about the early morning call he received.

I did not see this posted elsewhere, but Tom Bryan died earlier this month. He and Danny Fulford, a tight end at AU in the early to mid 60's, played together at Geneva Co. High in Hartford, AL.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I did not see this posted elsewhere, but Tom Bryan died earlier this month. He and Danny Fulford, a tight end at AU in the early to mid 60's, played together at Geneva Co. High in Hartford, AL.

https://www.jeffcoattrant.com/obituary/ThomasTom-JonesBryan

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2023 at 3:38 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Is it true that Covid bumping them into teh Pac-12 title is why Mario fell through?

With Kiffin, we would've for sure gotten hooked to a Jimbo-level contract, so it was entirely understandable.

Edited by AUwent