Hugh Freeze Is Doing Things

Browning4AU

42 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Bonus points for "eschew", well done 👏 

• Love 1

18 hours ago, placekicker said:

Freeze wasn’t my first choice, but then I’m in the medical field, not athletics. :) What I did recognize was that Freeze was a man who had once been successful in the SEC, then had it taken away. He was a man in search of redemption. Auburn was in much the same situation; a once proud program fallen on hard times. It is the perfect combination. I see great things in our future. 

Worked for Bball 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Just to be totally honest, the “moral high ground” people who refuse to accept CHF because of his past mistakes don’t know the same Jesus I do.   It’s been around 8 years and he has shown genuine repentance and a renewed character and humility.   He has openly shared about his mistakes and even more importantly, the lessons he’s learned from them and how others can learn so they don’t repeat his mistakes.  

We all make mistakes, lots of mistakes, big mistakes, and Jesus died in our place so we can be forgiven and redeemed!   CHF understands that a whole lot better than the folks that shun him because his mistakes are more public than theirs.  

Sorry y’all.  I’m stepping down from my soapbox now.

As a Deacon in my church, I say no need to apologize for telling it like it is brother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Just to be totally honest, the “moral high ground” people who refuse to accept CHF because of his past mistakes don’t know the same Jesus I do.   It’s been around 8 years and he has shown genuine repentance and a renewed character and humility.   He has openly shared about his mistakes and even more importantly, the lessons he’s learned from them and how others can learn so they don’t repeat his mistakes.  

We all make mistakes, lots of mistakes, big mistakes, and Jesus died in our place so we can be forgiven and redeemed!   CHF understands that a whole lot better than the folks that shun him because his mistakes are more public than theirs.  

The Evangelical, transactional Jesus

Or Jesus?

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Worked for Bball 

Which team do we think was in a worse predicament?   Which is the better rebuild job?   Bball had not been relevant for years and years...  CHF hasn't "rebuilt" yet but dang it feels like it is close....   In Bball you only need a handful of players to make a diff.   Football you need a small village.  Will we know the answer to the second question in 2025...  

• Like 2

On 12/24/2023 at 3:08 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

Man you should visit the Deion Sanders threads..... And he didn't even do anything but be cocky and wear a gold chain!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/24/2023 at 10:38 AM, WillMunny said:

Last year, some people on AUFAMILY were so offended over the Freeze hire that they left the site, some vowing to eschew AU football forever.

I hope time has softened them up, so they can see Freeze deserved a 2nd chance, and we needed a head coach with his experience and leadership qualities.  Thus far, it seems to have worked out well for both sides.

Anyone who reacts or responds, please read through the final paragraph. Lightly skimming the first doesn’t fully explain my position, and will lead to a misunderstanding of my point.

I still think he didn’t deserve a second chance. Breaking recruiting rules. Affairs. Victim blaming assault victims. He did some inexcusable stuff before we hired him. And there was a lot of reason to question his character. There’s a lot of people who claim to have high moral fiber and good values that just don’t walk the walk. From Freeze’a past, he looked like that guy. You want a highly visible job with that high of pay?  Way too many people do the right things in life and never sniff anything like the salary of a college coach. So, when someone gets that chance, they should care enough to protect that opportunity. With folks like Freeze, Petrino, etc. getting second chances, it says that there are no real consequences for severe transgressions if you are a successful coach. And I think that’s the wrong message to put out in the world. I didn’t like that AU helped make that message stronger.

BUT regardless of what I or anyone else think of Freeze, he got that second chance. If you love Auburn, you want him to make the most of it. I won’t understand the folks that decided to check out. I’m not an Auburn fan because I love Hugh Freeze. I’m an Auburn fan because I love Auburn. Now that Freeze has the job, I still want Auburn to succeed. And that means Freeze proving he can do right with a second chance is in Auburn’s best interest. I’m happy that, to date at least, the decision to give him that chance has worked out very well.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2023 at 1:08 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

Honestly, your first sentence sounds a little judgmental. 

As stated many times before, it's not up to any fan to forgive Freeze. None of us know him well enough to gauge his "genuine repentance" or "renewed character." All we know is what he decides to tell us. 

The "moral high ground people" simply think there should be a higher standard for someone paid $7 million a year to be a leader of young men and face of the university. That's all. 

I've noticed a repeated insinuation that the only difference between Freeze's sins and ours is that Freeze's are more public. What Freeze did was pretty wild and extremely hypocritical, and he did it in the dumbest way imaginable. 

Note that it is once again the Freeze supporters bringing up the topic in the first place, not the "anti-freezers." Why can't you just like the coach without claiming some tenuous moral high ground and putting poor, mistreated Freeze on a pedestal above fans who are mean about him on a message board?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Final thought: in my experience, all of us have the things that are messy and complicated. I think the best thing we can do is focus on making ourselves a little better each day. Accepting others, asking for help and accepting it when we can and offering it to others when able. Moving towards “better.” In my experience, that endeavor is meaningless and impossible without Christ. But, I’m unlikely to change your mind if you disagree. That is just my experience.  All we can really do is accept each other and find the commonalities. Show love in all instances.  In this case, we love Auburn. 

^^^ Well said

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

May I say that I do know CHF pretty well and it is genuine. 

Thank you for this as well. 

• Like 1

How much longer will Freezes past transgressions continue to be brought up? It's been close to 8 years. He is a human who is also a man of faith.  He is public with his faith which makes him an easy target to some. Many football coaches have past transgressions that arent aired because they aren't public with their faith.  I can only imagine the scandal if Dabo did something unscrupulous.  I would love to know what Jimbo was taking about when he went on his Saban rant.  But since Saban isn't public with his faith it wouldn't have the same effect. When u are public with your faith you can expect to have every aspect of your life nit picked. Tim Tebow is a perfect example.  Non believers as well as some believers will look for anything to criticize or try to point out hypocrisy.  It's just the way of the world. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

How much longer will Freezes past transgressions continue to be brought up? It's been close to 8 years. He is a human who is also a man of faith.  He is public with his faith which makes him an easy target to some. Many football coaches have past transgressions that arent aired because they aren't public with their faith.  I can only imagine the scandal if Dabo did something unscrupulous.  I would love to know what Jimbo was taking about when he went on his Saban rant.  But since Saban isn't public with his faith it wouldn't have the same effect. When u are public with your faith you can expect to have every aspect of your life nit picked. Tim Tebow is a perfect example.  Non believers as well as some believers will look for anything to criticize or try to point out hypocrisy.  It's just the way of the world. 

It’s part of his history. It will be brought up just like CBP is. I don’t care anymore now that CHF is the HBC. I love Auburn, all of it, and as long as he runs a clean program, ala CGM,  continues to build this program into what we all want I support him. I did not want the hire because I believed his past would hinder the program and be used against us recruiting. I was wrong and glad I was! I’m not hoping that CHF fails and I don’t think any Auburn  family member does. Some are going to stay on the fence about him until we win a Natty and even then who knows? War Eagle and IGTBAAT 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He is public with his faith

And this is the rub for many and why there is a mass exodus from western “Christianity”. 
Keep your prayers silent and your soapbox in the garage but please feel free to feed the hungry, care for the poor and sick and visit the widow and the prisoner. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

And this is the rub for many and why there is a mass exodus from western “Christianity”. 
Keep your prayers silent and your soapbox in the garage but please feel free to feed the hungry, care for the poor and sick and visit the widow and the prisoner. 

Keeping your faith to yourself is antithetical to Christianity and a true believer wants to share the truth about their faith with the world, so the two things don’t go together. Thinking you’re better than anyone else because of it is also antithetical to Christianity. The most powerful part of my testimony is that I am a flawed person and made many mistakes but I was forgiven and have another chance to be a better person. I don’t expect everyone to forgive me but the One who matters did, and so did those who truly love  me.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Keeping your faith to yourself is antithetical to Christianity and a true believer wants to share the truth about their faith with the world, so the two things don’t go together. Thinking you’re better than anyone else because of it is also antithetical is Christianity.

If you placed the teachings and example of Jesus over Paul you would see that this is not true. 😉

3 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

If you placed the teachings and example of Jesus over Paul you would see that this is not true. 😉

15He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

40 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

You proved my point with your first 2 sentences. It's the way of the world 

32 minutes ago, toddc said:

Keeping your faith to yourself is antithetical to Christianity and a true believer wants to share the truth about their faith with the world, so the two things don’t go together. Thinking you’re better than anyone else because of it is also antithetical to Christianity. The most powerful part of my testimony is that I am a flawed person and made many mistakes but I was forgiven and have another chance to be a better person. I don’t expect everyone to forgive me but the One who matters did, and so did those who truly love  me.

Believers will always be questioned.  Especially vocal Believers. Hugh is open with his faith. He will get criticism over it. It's the world we live in sadly

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

You proved my point with your first 2 sentences. It's the way of the world 

Not following but please explain privately as to not hijack this thread any further. Thanks 

Freeze was hired particularly cause he can recruit.  We are seeing that now. Next step, on field development.  Need to stair step. Get better each year,  stack 2 or 3 classes to compete with the upper SEC. Headed in right direction. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Freeze was hired particularly cause he can recruit.  We are seeing that now. Next step, on field development.  Need to stair step. Get better each year,  stack 2 or 3 classes to compete with the upper SEC. Headed in right direction. 

This! Once you get highly rated players in a several year span it can become self perpetuating to a degree, but not without development and NFL drafts.

• Like 1

I'd love for us to have a forum on Christianity.   Many on here are believers and such a forum would be good conversation and perhaps led to a conversion or two.  Regardless it is nice to see folks having a debate without having a fight.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

100%.   And, recruiting and development are very closely related.   The % of 5 stars who get "developed" is much higher than the % of 3 stars.