Hugh Freeze Is Doing Things

Browning4AU

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Yes, but a specific forum for religious topics would be more appropriate than hijacking a thread on the football forum.

To be fair most threads on here get hijacked to some degree. Almost impossible to avoid

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

And there ya go. The us vs them positioning of so many people of faith proving the point of not a subject that encourages healthy conversation. This good guys vs bad guys is engrained and even celebrated in Christianity. 

Well to be fair it's usually the other way around where Christians sit back and say nothing. Then when we do it gets framed as us vs them. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Freeze wasn’t my first choice, but the moment I learned he was the choice of those who heavily fund the NIL, he became THE choice. 

THE reason AU is doing so well in recruiting is NIL. Sure, Freeze does very well once he has a recruit’s attention, but without NIL, AU is not getting the attention of every major recruit in the SE and is still stuck somewhere between 11-20 in recruiting.

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Well to be fair it's usually the other way around where Christians sit back and say nothing. Then when they do it gets framed as us vs them. 

Right! Very similar to Christians spouting off nonsense and getting called out and then playing the persecution hated by the world card 

Just now, GreenTiger said:

Right! Very similar to Christians spouting off nonsense and getting called out and then playing the persecution hated by the world card 

Go to the political forum, there are a lot of threads about religion, Christians and no football.  You would fit right in.

1 minute ago, GreenTiger said:

I'm not sure what Christians spout out " nonsense". But the good thing about it is each is responsible whatever nonsense they spit out. Like I said, it's a big part of Who Freeze and Pearl are. It's revelant. It should be able to be discussed without having to have a thread locked or turned into personal attacks.  I'm glad he is open w his faith.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Go to the political forum, there are a lot of threads about religion, Christians and no football.  You would fit right in.

I’m confused. So what “preaching” “soapboxes” are ok in this thread? 

23 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Hugh freeze is doing a great job recruiting. 

What time do we play in the Liberty Bowl?

are we favored? 

Alas, we are not favored in the Liberty Bowl.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm gonna refrain from going back and forth.  We know how each other feels. We've been asked to get back to the subject of football.

Agree! Thanks for your patience and dialogue 

On 12/24/2023 at 11:07 AM, Cardin Drake said:

I didn't want us to hire Freeze. It took me about 2 weeks to realize that he was what we needed.  I've got to think most folks have come around.

I’ve got a bud who still truly believes Harsin is going to rip it up at his next major P5 stop and make us regret it. I keep asking him which team he’s going to coach from the Bahamas (paid for by Auburn University).

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I initially was one of the ones disappointed that we decided to go in this direction given his moral failings, which were public, embarrassing and significant. I merely thought that there were other directions in which our University could go to avoid the scrutiny/questions/judgments.  

Just curious which HCs were real possibilities that our University could have hired that were void of past scrutiny/questions/judgements. 

The three names we kept hearing were Kiffin, Freeze and Prime, in that order of likelihood. Kiffin and Prime def have had their past scrutinized.

So who else was a real possibility?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Freeze was hired particularly cause he can recruit.  We are seeing that now. Next step, on field development.  Need to stair step. Get better each year,  stack 2 or 3 classes to compete with the upper SEC. Headed in right direction. 

As I recently said in another thread, I still have my doubts sometimes with Freeze’s on-the-field decisions, but the accumulation of Top 250 Jimmy’s and Joe’s will eventually mask that up, much the same it did for Saban (pre-2018) and Kirbs (minus the Monken era).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Maybe I’m the one who hikacked it with my first post by my broken man comment but the intent was regarding coaching as much as anything. I usually would apologize for being the cause of a something like that but in this case I won’t. (And I know that’s not what you asked for Mikey). My personal feelings are echoed all through this thread so I think there are plenty who are interested in the conversation, just on a separate forum and that’s okay by me. ..see @LPTiger earlier post suggesting that. It is relevant however if the player brings up the conversation regarding faith. Dag is one who will have the conversation but definitely wants the separation from sports. I can respect that. The point that many of us, on either side of this, are able to have a healthy conversation is pretty cool imo. I love our current coaches, they are truly impressive in they way they are going about their lives and their jobs. War Eagle!

Know very little about the coaches lives (outside of AU athletics) but definitely they are impressive about how they are going about their jobs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Viper said:

As I recently said in another thread, I still have my doubts sometimes with Freeze’s on-the-field decisions, but the accumulation of Top 250 Jimmy’s and Joe’s will eventually mask that up, much the same it did for Saban (pre-2018) and Kirbs (minus the Monken era).

Really curious about those questionable on the field decisions and how much that was on Freeze and on the OC. 

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Freeze wasn’t my first choice, but the moment I learned he was the choice of those who heavily fund the NIL, he became THE choice. 

THE reason AU is doing so well in recruiting is NIL. Sure, Freeze does very well once he has a recruit’s attention, but without NIL, AU is not getting the attention of every major recruit in the SE and is still stuck somewhere between 11-20 in recruiting.

Viper, regarding the first sentence = 100% agree.   Regarding the 2nd and 3rd sentence, I'm not sure NIL is THE reason.   I think someone like Taterhead, even with our NIL, would not have been able to pull off a class like this one.  On the flip side, CHF couldn't have pulled off this class without NIL.   In my mind, NIL simply puts us on a level playing field with UGA, BAMA, Florida etc., it doesn't give us an advantage over them because they have the same NIL $$$$.   Our advantage was CHF, CMD, CZE, DL and LB coaches working just as hard if not harder than every other staff and their ability to create meaningful relationships in just 1 year...  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Know very little about the coaches lives (outside of AU athletics) but definitely they are impressive about how they are going about their jobs.

That’s a good point Hank and I only know what I read as well. 

44 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Really curious about those questionable on the field decisions and how much that was on Freeze and on the OC. 

If it is on the OC, it is also on Freeze. He can override the OC at any time. He also hired him, and hasn’t replaced him, which means he at least somewhat approves of the job he’s done. Maybe Montgomery is a great between game OC (e.g., breaking down film, game planning, running practices) and we’ll see Freeze more in charge in games moving forward? That remains to be seen. But Freeze has at least some culpability for those decisions because he put Montgomery into that role and didn’t override his decisions where needed.

Edited by ScotsAU

20 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I could never prove it, but my thoughts have remained that Freeze himself was more focused on recruiting than on-the-field coaching, knowing that a 6-6 season would not prevent a Top 10 class. Maybe it was 50/50 recruiting/coaching or 60/40 or 75/25. Regardless, given our current talent, I don’t have any probs if that truly was the case.

I’m willing to sacrifice 2023 and 2024 for 10+ win seasons moving forward in 2025.

59 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I think someone like Taterhead, even with our NIL, would not have been able to pull off a class like this one.

100% agreed and goes back to my first statement. Rane and the $ boys got THEIR guy, so they are willing to pony up NIL $. Conversely, if Harsin were still here, the NIL bucket would look more like Vandy’s.

59 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

On the flip side, CHF couldn't have pulled off this class without NIL.   In my mind, NIL simply puts us on a level playing field with UGA, BAMA, Florida etc., it doesn't give us an advantage over them because they have the same NIL $$$$.   Our advantage was CHF, CMD, CZE, DL and LB coaches working just as hard if not harder than every other staff and their ability to create meaningful relationships in just 1 year...  

100% agreed. 

As I posted recently, a prominent Ole Miss grad recently assured me that once a recruit commits to Freeze, they remain committed. That held true this class.

NIL simply allows Freeze to recruit more top dogs vs. without NIL.

Prior to NIL, Saban & Kirbs won most every recruit because of their track record of getting guys to the league, where they would then make their first million.

Now with NIL, recruits can make their first million at just about any major P5 program before getting to the league AND even if they’re not good enough to get to the league.

THAT’S where Freeze and his ability to form relationships is the difference in many cases. The kids already know they’re gettin paid. They know they no longer HAVE to rely on Saban & Kirbs to get paid. They now get paid AND have a relationship HC that isn’t a tyrant.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

58 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

He also hired him, and hasn’t replaced him, which means he at least somewhat approves of the job he’s done.

The primary reason he hasn’t replaced him is what it could have done to offensive recruiting.

59 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Freeze has at least some culpability for those decisions because he put Montgomery into that role and didn’t override his decisions where needed.

Freeze did override Montgomery in a few cases. I don’t know those specific cases…maybe someone else does or wants to look them up…but it was reported by at least one TV Network crew that Freeze would handle play-calling duties of a particular game(s).