Will we see more staff changes?

17 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

It's actually brilliant for OM.

I want to believe the intent is that Kiffin wants Nix moving up and not laterally after a decade and a half as an assistant in the same place.  I also want to believe, as Kiffin has stated it very publicly, that he believes he deserves the opportunity to be a HC.  

*EDIT: to add link > https://www.djournal.com/sports/college/ole-miss/why-derrick-nix-served-as-head-coach-during-ole-miss-scrimmage-saturday/article_827cb286-395d-11ee-8b33-4f075bac4415.html

Feel like it was a good gesture and agree with what he's saying....but Lane then blocking him getting a promotion kinda contradicts that message.

• Like 2

Brennan Carroll (OC:  U AZ) may be available.   Washington  just hired AZ  HC Jedd Fisch .

I didn't see many of their games,  but what I saw I really liked.  Not sure if the style would mesh with Hugh's,  but is not that different. 

8 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Brennan Carroll (OC:  U AZ) may be available.   Washington  just hired AZ  HC Jedd Fisch .

I didn't see many of their games,  but what I saw I really liked.  Not sure if the style would mesh with Hugh's,  but is not that different. 

Pretty sure if we strike out on Nix Kent Austin will be QB/OC, Hugh calling plays, and we hire a recruiter (Not Dell) as the RB coach

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Washington  just hired AZ  HC Jedd Fisch .

Just wait til Florida hires him next year. 😆 

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Pretty sure if we strike out on Nix Kent Austin will be QB/OC, Hugh calling plays, and we hire a recruiter (Not Dell) as the RB coach

This will be an acceptable outcome as long as we don't overpay Austin just to have to buy him out in December.

2 hours ago, TigerVII said:

This will be an acceptable outcome as long as we don't overpay Austin just to have to buy him out in December.

IDK how it's really acceptable.  It's worst case scenario 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yep, it would oddly be even more of a resemblance to a previous coach. 

• Like 1

Bama Update on T Rob....looks like he could stay

Travaris Robinson was announced as Georgia’s new co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach on Saturday, but BamaOnLine has learned that Robinson, Alabama’s defensive backs coach last season, may not be completely out of the door in Tuscaloosa.

Multiple sources confirm that Robinson interviewed for the Crimson Tide’s defensive coordinator opening with new head coach Kalen DeBoer on Sunday. One source believes Robinson has an offer. We don’t have a timetable for a decision, but it should be soon.

• Angry 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:05 PM, creed said:

Here we go just as I predicted. The media and/or social media will spin anything about Auburn in a negative light and our Forum will propogate bad news like a disease.

I can assure you jox won't put out anything and I mean anything on it unless it's bad.

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

What's going on with Muschamp? Why would he take an off-field role?

More time with his family supposedly 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cbo said:

What's going on with Muschamp? Why would he take an off-field role?

I imagine Kirby is a slave driver over there, leaves little to no time for anything else and it would have to wear on home life.  Muschamp got paid handsomely by UF and USC, it’s not like he needs the money.  Just take a step back, get off the field and off the recruiting mouse wheel.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, keesler said:

I imagine Kirby is a slave driver over there, leaves little to no time for anything else and it would have to wear on home life.  Muschamp got paid handsomely by UF and USC, it’s not like he needs the money.  Just take a step back, get off the field and off the recruiting mouse wheel.  

Good points. I always imagine all these guys live for coaching, but Muschamp has been a HC twice before so this probably isn't as satisfying for him. Combine that with money in the bank and a slave driver boss and that makes sense to me now. 

12 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

It's actually brilliant for OM.

I want to believe the intent is that Kiffin wants Nix moving up and not laterally after a decade and a half as an assistant in the same place.  I also want to believe, as Kiffin has stated it very publicly, that he believes he deserves the opportunity to be a HC.  

*EDIT: to add link > https://www.djournal.com/sports/college/ole-miss/why-derrick-nix-served-as-head-coach-during-ole-miss-scrimmage-saturday/article_827cb286-395d-11ee-8b33-4f075bac4415.html

Lol really?

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

To me the worst-case scenario would be repeating the insanity of the last 4 years - hiring someone like Chad Morris, Mike Bobo, or Montgomery for more than $1 million per year on a multi-year contract and then firing him after one year while still owing him the balance of the contract.  I'm sick of paying assistant coaches (and their agents) to coach elsewhere.

Hiring someone like Luper. Porter or McGee for RB coach (as your post suggested) with Austin as QB coach is a better scenario than the terrible OC carousel we've been riding.  It will be a lot less expensive, meaning more money for recruiting.

• Love 1

20 hours ago, AUwent said:

I thought it was a given that KA would become QB coach?

AUWent...you should start a thread with the below and see what the rest of the Family thinks

My five year goals for Freeze:

Year #1: Bowl game berth (the traditional way) (PASSED); consensus--both 247 and On3--top 15 recruiting class (ALMOST CERTAINLY GOING TO PASS).

Year #2: Seven regular season wins; cons. top 10 class

Year #3: Eight regular season wins; cons. top 10 class

Years #4-5 (assuming the SEC starts playing nine games by this point): At least nine regular season wins both seasons and one quarterfinal berth between the two; average of cons. top 10 classes

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TigerVII said:

To me the worst-case scenario would be repeating the insanity of the last 4 years - hiring someone like Chad Morris, Mike Bobo, or Montgomery for more than $1 million per year on a multi-year contract and then firing him after one year while still owing him the balance of the contract.  I'm sick of paying assistant coaches (and their agents) to coach elsewhere.

Hiring someone like Luper. Porter or McGee for RB coach (as your post suggested) with Austin as QB coach is a better scenario than the terrible OC carousel we've been riding.  It will be a lot less expensive, meaning more money for recruiting.

Freeze will sink or swim with whoever he hires at this point. I just hope whoever he hires knows how to do more than only recruit. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Freeze will sink or swim with whoever he hires at this point. I just hope whoever he hires knows how to do more than only recruit. 

I agree with the “more than” comment, need to be great recruiter in this area though IMO.

15 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It was the most likely scenario as well.

Curious to see at what point we move on from Nix. There is no reason to continue dragging this out 

Just now, W.E.D said:

Curious to see at what point we move on from Nix. There is no reason to continue dragging this out 

I wish I had your sense of urgency. 

Offensive coordinators since 2018

2018 - Chip Lindsey

2019 - Kenny Dillingham

2020 - Chad Morris

2021 - Mike Bobo

2022 - Eric Kiesau (Will Friend 4 games)

2023 - Phillip Montgomery

2024 - ?

Defensive coordinators since 2020

2020 - Kevin Steele 5 years

2021 - Derek Mason

2022 - Jeff Schmedding

2023 - Ron Robert's

2024 - Charles Kelly and ????

I know people have said that Nick Saban goes through coordinators every year. He loses them because they take head coaching jobs or return to the NFL. We lose ours because our teams suck and we have to fire them and pay their buyouts. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

2018 - Chip Lindsey

2019 - Kenny Dillingham

2020 - Chad Morris

2021 - Mike Bobo

2024 - ?

2021 - Derek Mason

2022 - Jeff Schmedding

2023 - Ron Robert's

I know people have said that Nick Saban goes through coordinators every year. He loses them because they take head coaching jobs or return to the NFL. We lose ours because our teams suck and we have to fire them and pay their buyouts. 

Hopefully the guys we hire are working with similar player talent to those Alabama assistants soon. 
Should make it a lot easier to move up instead of out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

2018 - Chip Lindsey

2019 - Kenny Dillingham

2020 - Chad Morris

2021 - Mike Bobo

2024 - ?

2021 - Derek Mason

2022 - Jeff Schmedding

2023 - Ron Robert's

Headed to our 7th year in a row with a new OC and 6 years with a new DC. Frightening. And most of the guys on that list have no business coaching at the SEC level. We so need to get our crap together, in every way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

Hopefully the guys we hire are working with similar player talent to those Alabama assistants soon. 
Should make it a lot easier to move up instead of out. 

I know assistants would be better with better talent. Whenever constant coordinator changes gets mentioned on this forum, it's always been met with "Saban changes coordinators, Kirby has changed coordinators" and so on. I would just like some continuity. When the same problems are happening under multiple head coaches and multiple staffs, it makes people wonder if the problem may not be squarely on the shoulders of the head coaches, it may just be how the program is ran from the top. 

Hopefully putting familiar coaches around Freeze that he goes back years with will help alot but the same was said when Harsin began surrounding himself with all those Boise assistants in year 2 and that was a complete disaster. It's not always a one size fits all when putting staffs together.

I wonder how much it has hurt recruiting the past several years? Position coaches are huge in a recruits life and I wonder if the parents, as well as recruits, look at Auburn and think "Going off of recent history, this coordinator or position coach will likely be gone in 1 to 3 years." 

I've mentioned awhile back but Cam Stutts mother, Stephanie Stutts, went onto a Locked on Auburn YouTube video and said Cam played under Gus, Kevin Steele (interim), Harsin, Caddy (interim) and Freeze. That's 5 head coaches he played for and I forget how many O-Line coaches she said. Just sad that it ever got this bad.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2