Bruce previews A&M

al.com

Auburn basketball makes 9 spot leap in AP poll after routing Arkansas

Updated: Jan. 08, 2024, 12:17 p.m.|Published: Jan. 08, 2024, 12:03 p.m.

2–3 minutes

FAYETTEVILLE, AR - JANUARY 06 - Auburn’s Denver Jones (12) during the game between the #25 Auburn Tigers and the Arkansas Razorbacks at Bud Walton Arena in Fayetteville, AR on Saturday, Jan. 6, 2024. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn TigersZach Bland/Auburn Tigers

After drubbing Arkansas by 32 points in Bud Walton Arena, Auburn jumped nine spots up the AP Top 25 poll to be ranked No. 16.

It is the second consecutive week Auburn has been ranked as well as the second week this season the Tigers are in the poll. Auburn is on a seven-game winning streak and sits at 12-2 overall and 1-0 in the SEC.

Seven voters gave Auburn a top 10 slot, with two voters putting Auburn at No. 7 being the highest slot. Four voters did not include Auburn on their ballot at all, a decrease from 31 voters leaving off Auburn last week.

Auburn has been a metrics darling this season, and the human rankings have lagged behind. As of Monday, Auburn is ranked No. 5 overall in the KenPom rankings. The Tigers are ranked ninth in KenPom for both offensive and defensive efficiency.

The only other teams to be top 10 in both categories are the top three overall teams in KenPom: Houston, Purdue and Arizona. All three teams are ranked in the top 10 of the AP Poll.

During their win streak, the Tigers are winning by an average of 25 points, and that includes three wins over major conference teams in Indiana, USC and Arkansas.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1

From 25 to 16 is a nice jump.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I really want to beat Buzz Williams. Tired of losing to him.

that is exactly how i feel. i refer to him as busy buzz buzz.................most of you have no idea what that is. me and golf used to play it together.

• Like 1

Gotta win these home games if you want to win the SEC.  

• Like 1

Can't wait for this game tonight. It feels like when we beat A&M, we're in for a good year in the tourneys. 

6 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

I really want to beat Buzz Williams. Tired of losing to him.

He’s number three on my list of coaches that I despise.  He was fourth but Jimbo is no longer coaching. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NCAubs said:

He’s number three on my list of coaches that I despise.  He was fourth but Jimbo is no longer coaching. 

Oats, Musselman, and Buzz are my most despised.

6 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Oats, Musselman, and Buzz are my most despised.

Zackly.  Saban is number 4. 

• Like 1