why does auburn always seem to have a divided coaching staff?

this mess started when gus was here. then harsin. now freeze. i am thinking about six years? it started with coaches going behind gus's back to the hars horror show and now this? is this typical for most colleges? i still have hope for the future but i think we are snakebit sometimes. this kind of mess has been going on for too long.

Edited by aubiefifty

• aubiefifty changed the title to why does auburn always seem to have a divided coaching staff?

19 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

this mess started when gus was here. then harsin. now freeze. i am thinking about six years? it started with coaches going behind gus's back to the hars horror show and now this? is this typical for most colleges? i still have hope for the future but i think we are snakebit sometimes. this kind of mess has been going on for too long.

There were coaching conflicts in Tuberville and Bowden’s stints as well and probably the others surrounding those. I don’t think it’s uncommon it’s just glaring when combined with poor results on the field. 

• Like 3

I was troubled bu a few other moves regarding AU football such as:  The airplane trip to Louisville to chat with Petrino, Terry putting Brother Oliver on his staff and the aftermath of Tot’s last year, and probably more.
We never seemed to have any issues when Shug or Dye coached. But it does seem that the times have changed, and the money. 
War Eagle. We’ve just got to stay positive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gulftiger66 said:

I was troubled bu a few other moves regarding AU football such as:  The airplane trip to Louisville to chat with Petrino, Terry putting Brother Oliver on his staff and the aftermath of Tot’s last year, and probably more.
We never seemed to have any issues when Shug or Dye coached. But it does seem that the times have changed, and the money. 
War Eagle. We’ve just got to stay positive. 

And the access to information and rumors

• Like 4

Obviously no one involved themselves in this sort of situation on purpose.

My take on it is that, with so much pressure on all involved, it always seems that everything must be done immediately. There doesn’t seem to be time for too much deep thought and reflection. And for sure someone else may be trying to hire the same coaches you are and time gets squeezed.

i am genuinely hoping that CHF can connect with familiar coaches and talents this time to match coaches and personalities with our needs.

Hoping…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, au701948 said:

Obviously no one involved themselves in this sort of situation on purpose.

My take on it is that, with so much pressure on all involved, it always seems that everything must be done immediately. There doesn’t seem to be time for too much deep thought and reflection. And for sure someone else may be trying to hire the same coaches you are and time gets squeezed.

i am genuinely hoping that CHF can connect with familiar coaches and talents this time to match coaches and personalities with our needs.

Hoping…

The trouble I see with that is most AU fans want home-run hires. Freeze’s experience is only at Ole Miss from a SEC perspective. That greatly limits the possibilities.

Just a thought:

If Saban and Kirby were losing the way Auburn has lost the past 6+ years, their coaching staffs would probably be visibly divided as well.  Winning minimizes and hides internal strife.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, gulftiger66 said:

Terry putting Brother Oliver on his staff

This was a great move. Took bammer’s best assistant away from them and gave us a great takeaway defense. Believe we led the SEC in turnovers forced in 96, Oliver’s first season with Bowden. Came within one point of upsetting Peyton Manning for the SEC Championship in 97. Oliver’s best defense was 98, despite the loss of Takeo Spikes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Just a thought:

If Saban and Kirby were losing the way Auburn has lost the past 6+ years, their coaching staffs would probably be visibly divided as well.  Winning minimizes and hides internal strife.

Exactly. Saban & Kirbs were never lovebirds. Reference the Cam to Lutz game winner. Kirbs was verbally firing back at Lord Saban, signaling that the defense he called accounted for the throwback to the short side of the field and the Safety or LB failed the play, not his call.

They worked together for nine years because they were ultra successful together, not because they got along so great.

• Like 6

The Tubs-Tony Franklin episode was a thing of beauty too. 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

The Tubs-Tony Franklin episode was a thing of beauty too. 😅

i forgot about that one.

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

Just a thought:

Plus they both have tight control over coach interaction with anybody else.

My wife went to MI ST. AU is the most stable and consistent place on the planet compared to that!! Saban was there and did well, and left. Then they had Bobby Williams, Morris Watts, John L Smith, then Mark Dantonio for some stability for a bit. Then Mel Tucker, who they paid 95 million and was a total dumpster fire culminating in getting fired for sexual harassment.

The scandals, payoffs, and crazy stuff is far worse than anything that has ever happened at AU. So yes, it happens everywhere. Most people don't live it every day like they do their own alma mater or "team," so they don't realize what all is going on at other places. All this stuff is actually very common. Even look at bammer during the years between bear and saban, they had all sort of crazy stuff go on.

The simple answer is typically there are some holdovers as opposed to starting completely over. JMO

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chaotic_zx said:

They aren't winning. If there was winning, you wouldn't hear/read anything about conflict. 

Winning does mask a lot

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Just a thought:

Winning at their level cures everything! 

No one is bickering, fighting, tweeting negative and dysfunctional crap about winning programs.  Folks are too busy doing their jobs to nit pick and find faults with others.

3 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Dye fired Sullivan a dozen times during a game. Every staff has problems when things go bad. 

That one I hadn’t heard, just Crowe. 

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

The simple answer is typically there are some holdovers as opposed to starting completely over. JMO

This. Add to this we've hired a lot of ex-HCs, guys that are used to doing things their way and now they are asked to do things someone else's way. It can work but a lot can also go wrong.

• Like 1

Seldom is the production and quality of play on the O & D going to be 50/50 but the HC is responsible for making production as close to that as possible with both the OC & DC pulling their weight. I think if the side of the ball a HC  cut his teeth on as a coordinator is consistently a weak link you have a poor HC  

In Gus’ case he did not evolve as a HC once defenses caught up with his O. I think Steele got sick to death of Gus constantly throwing the game on the D’s back. Steele should have just left for another program instead of trying to take Gus down but I understand his frustration. 

In Tub’s  case he had no problem firing coordinators. Promoting Nall to OC was lazy and shortsighted. Hiring Franklin was a knee jerk reaction to a spread O and Franklin was a cancerous hire. Tubs never let  D assistant stay long if he did not produce at a high level. The only lengthy O assistant we had that was the same quality level as Tub’s D assistants was Eddie Gran. Other power 5 programs hired Gran and no power 5 program would have hired any of the others. Petrino was a great OC but short lived. Borges had 2004. If Tubs would have raised the bar on expectations for all O assistants to be the same as his D he would have retired at Auburn. 

Bowden was a great O mind and hiring Oliver was huge. I think Bowden’s off the field issues impacted his coaching eventually leading to his undoing. 

I hope Freeze proves he can get it right with the right fit OC & DC. Regardless of great recruiting Freeze should NEVER field an O as bad as what we saw this past year. Simply no excuse for the lack of growth. Hell, Spurrier won at Duke. Creatively scheme and use the talent you have to overachieve and win some you shouldn’t but show something is being built. Freeze has got to overachieve this year just to keep our best players (especially this class) from hitting the portal. 

War Eagle ! 

• Thanks 1