Saban retiring

7 hours ago, roe4christ said:

If this is actually true, in my mind this is a good thing.  I think Lanning would do really well at Alabama.  He also has a strong footprint in the SEC, having been at Georgia.  He would have hit the ground running, probably held on to most of their current roster including this signing class.  Think we dodged a bullet.

Sorry. I’m a few pages behind. I think Lanning would’ve been a wild card. He’s only been a head coach for 2 years. He had Bo Nix for both of those years, and he still couldn’t outright win his conference. Oregon doesn’t have quite the resources of Bama. But he hasn’t really done enough to prove that he’s elite. If so, they would’ve had to pay a hefty sum to get him, and that would’ve affected bama’s ability to replace him if he didn’t pan out… and remember, Bama fan expectations are going to be very lofty after Saban. 

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Hopefully it's not DeBoer!

Colin Cowherd just said on his FS1 show that Alabama has been really interested in Kalen DeBoer for the last 6 to 8 weeks. For those that don't know, Cowherd grew up in Washington and has quiet a few friends/family that are associated with the school by being alum, boosters or board members. Colin is a huge Washington homer and loves west coast football in general.

DeBoer won 3 NAIA National Titles at Sioux Falls. He was also the OC at Indiana a few years ago when they only lost 2 games and had Michael Penix Jr as his QB. He then went to Washington and was on a 21 game winning streak until Michigan beat them last week. DeBoer is why Penix transferred to Washington.

Going into the National Title game last week, DeBoer's career record was 105-11. Guy can coach and calls his own offensive plays. I don't want DeBoer at Alabama. Personally, I don't think he goes there because he is an outsider like Harsin was. Plus, Washington is in the Big 10 starting this year.

• Like 1

Some thoughts:

-Deboer has never coached in the southeast. Washington isn’t Boise State, but that would be a huge risk.

- It could still be Lanning. But Bama would have to pay a lot for a guy with only 2 years of experience.

- Norvell might be on the list, and he’s a good coach. But I think he’s a bad fit for the program. He’s kind of an anti-Saban as far as how he runs things. Much closer to a Gus/Hugh type coach.

- Sark would be an interesting move here. His buyout isn’t insanely high, and Bama has more stability than Texas. I could see him jumping for the right price.

- Kiffin wouldn’t surprise me, but I also don’t think he will meet fan expectations at all.

- If it is locksley or Dabo, 🤣🤣🤣.

Sorry. Added note. I saw a few folks mention NFL coaches. Not happening unless they’ve coached college before. NFL coaches don’t usually have to deal with personnel decisions much and don’t have to recruit. A lot of times, that jump from NFL to college doesn’t work very well because of that.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

Gosh I can't stand Bammers. They're saying they have their pick of the litter between Dabo, Lanning, Mario Cristobal, Kiffin, Sarkisian, Napier, Muschamp, Bill O'Brien, Brian Daboll, Butch Jones, Jimbo, Kirby Smart (yes, they said Kirby), Mike Locksley, Demeco Ryans (current HC of the Texans), Mark Dantonio, Derek Dooley.

All of those coaches either played at Alabama (Dabo and Demeco Ryans) or coached under Nick Saban. I've heard several that truly think Kirby would leave his alma mater, Georgia, to come back and coach Bama. They're so freaking arrogant.

If they get someone from Saban's coaching tree, I would prefer they hire Jeremy Pruitt or Mel Tucker. 😂 (I know they won't and can't).

I have a weird feeling this hire is going to be a little out of left field like our Chizik or Harsin hire or Brian Kelly to LSU. Nobody saw those 3 hires coming. With everybody expecting a past Saban asst. coach or an alum to get the job, I think it could be totally opposite. 

3 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Gosh I can't stand Bammers. They're saying they have their pick of the litter between Dabo, Lanning, Mario Cristobal, Kiffin, Sarkisian, Napier, Muschamp, Bill O'Brien, Brian Daboll, Butch Jones, Jimbo, Kirby Smart (yes, they said Kirby), Mike Locksley, Demeco Ryans (current HC of the Texans), Mark Dantonio, Derek Dooley.

All of those coaches either played at Alabama (Dabo and Demeco Ryans) or coached under Nick Saban. I've heard several that truly think Kirby would leave his alma mater, Georgia, to come back and coach Bama. They're so freaking arrogant.

If they get someone from Saban's coaching tree, I would prefer they hire Jeremy Pruitt or Mel Tucker. 😂 (I know they won't and can't).

I have a weird feeling this hire is going to be a little out of left field like our Chizik or Harsin hire or Brian Kelly to LSU. Nobody saw those 3 hires coming. With everybody expecting a past Saban asst. coach or an alum to get the job, I think it could be totally opposite. 

I could easily see DeMeco coming.

Edited by AUwent

2 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I think it would be hilarious if they hadn't announced a hire by this time next week. 

Mike DuBose is available...

• Haha 2

Just now, WillMunny said:

I think it would be hilarious if they hadn't announced a hire by this time next week. 

Mike DuBose is available...

UA players stated yesterday that they were told the new hc would be announced within 72 hours.

3 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Immediately discredit anyone who says Kirby Smart. It would be a completely lateral move, and he would be leaving his alma mater to take the job. He has UGA fans in love with him. If he went to Bama, he’d have to deal with folks constantly comparing him to Saban. If he takes that job, he’s a complete idiot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

I’ve always wanted to go. I’m assuming you enjoyed it if you kept going back. What’s it like?

I loved it..

It gets very cold in winter -40 for lows and -10 for highs.. but the summer is great. The Gobi desert is awesome.. 

Ulanbataar is so polluted with coal smoke in winter that you can’t see across the street 

The Mongolian people are great.

The men do like to get drunk and fight..a lot (just like Alabama 😆)

I don’t think a day went by that I didn’t see a street fight.

The average person lives in object poverty..They live in gers with no running water on the outskirts of Ulaanbaatar. If you can afford a small hole in the wall apartment with running water, it makes you well off.

Summer time is great for tourists.. lots of stuff to do in UB.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

It's Dabo all the way.  Never any other coach considered. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

UA players stated yesterday that they were told the new hc would be announced within 72 hours.

They may have thought they had Lanning in the bag.

1 minute ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Dabo

I’d be surprised if they went that route. His last few years have not been very good. He seems to be unwilling to adapt to how player management has changed. He won’t use the portal, and spends a lot of time complaining about NIL. I think if it ends up being Dabo that they missed out on a few targets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I’d be surprised if they went that route. His last few years have not been very good. He seems to be unwilling to adapt to how player management has changed. He won’t use the portal, and spends a lot of time complaining about NIL. I think if it ends up being Dabo that they missed out on a few targets.

You're also describing NS

3 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

You're also describing NS

Yes. And I think that’s a big reason he retired. He liked running his program his way, and you can’t do that anymore.

• Like 1

Just now, ScotsAU said:

Yes. And I think that’s a big reason he retired. He liked running his program his way, and you can’t do that anymore.

What was amateur athletic competition is now semi-pro.  The bean counters have been forced to step in

16 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Dabo

If Dabo thinks it was hard dealing with "Tyler from Spartanburg", he couldn't handle the daily pressures the Alabama head coach undergoes...

Edited by WillMunny

4 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

If Dabo thinks it was hard dealing with "Tyler from Spartanburg", he couldn't handle the daily proctology exam the Alabama head coach undergoes...

LOL, yeah that call was funny. 

It's Dabo.  Whatever the beef is between the UpDykes and DS, all will be forgiven and forgotten the instant his name is announced.  His record and pedigree surpasses NS when he was hired, PLUS, he's one of their own.

PLUS, DS is the only person they've mentioned for 17 years as NS's replacement.  Every UpDyke for years has had their heart set on him.   

Edited by Elephant Tipper
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Maybe its just me, but I dont get all the Lanning love.  He's done well, but not THAT well.  

it isn’t just you. He would be an extremely risky hire for Bama. He’s coached 2 years, and had the same QB for those 2 years. He hasn’t won anything of note (although he did come close). And it costs 20 mil just to buy him out at Oregon. That’s a lot of money to throw at someone who is still largely unproven. 

Not saying he isn’t a good coach. Just very unproven. Given his buyout and current salary, it would be a big risk.  If they take that big of a risk on him and it doesn’t work out, they could end up stuck in a Jimbo Fisher type situation.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

I'm hoping for Kiffin, just because he brings an uncommon level of interest, and would fit perfectly in a state that talks SEC football 365 days a year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

It's Dabo.  Whatever the beef is between the UpDykes and DS, all will be forgiven and forgotten the instant his name is announced. 

True

10 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Every UpDyke for years has had their heart set on him.   

Not true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

True

Not true. 

Maybe, maybe not, but for years I have asked every bammer I've talked to who would replace NS and the answer has always been DS.  When asked if they would consider someone else, they all said no.  That's only a few dozen people though.

A very good REC friend of mine says that DS is disliked too much these days, so he doesn't think it would be him.