Saban retiring

4 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Norvell on paper seems like the best option. But I just don’t see the fit. Could you ever see a guy like Gus or Hugh at Bama? Norvell is a similar type coach. Tends to be more buddy buddy with players. Offensively oriented and tends to stay out of the defense. Seems like an anti-Saban. It would certainly be a rough transition from how Saban managed things to how Norvell would.

Everyone minus Kirbs is 180 degrees different than Saban. 

Norvell is a great playcaller. Recruits well. Has an easy 4M buyout.

Didn’t say he is their best choice. Just their most logical at this very moment.

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Everyone minus Kirbs is 180 degrees different than Saban. 

Norvell is a great playcaller. Recruits well. Has an easy 4M buyout.

Didn’t say he is their best choice. Just their most logical at this very moment.

Nobody's saying it...but most logical is Petrino : )

Edited by hikerdns

7 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Didn’t say it would be a good hire. But someone else listed Muschamp. So… Just listing names that someone else might pick. I don’t realistically see him getting the job. But I think he’s worth including in the poll.

Inside-the-NBA-Rockets-Clippers-Locker-R

At this point, I wonder if Bama even called Lanning...

I dont see anyway they would hire petrino...I mean I have no idea but I just don't see how you sell that one, lol....

2 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

At this point, I wonder if Bama even called Lanning...

We’ll never know, but highly doubt it. He just became the public’s defacto choice because he was the public’s defacto choice for A&M.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Viper said:

My best bammer bud loathes Dabo…as much as Peyton Manning. I’ve of course taken great joy ribbing him with Dabo predictions the last 24 hours.

Not even Rece mentions DS

Rece Davis Names Three College Football Coaches Alabama Should Consider (msn.com)

1 minute ago, bishoptf said:

I dont see anyway they would hire petrino...I mean I have no idea but I just don't see how you sell that one, lol....

They would call the golf course and ask for Stevie Spurrier before Petrino ever became a thought. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would be surprised but quite pleased if it's Dabo. He would still have success but he's pretty obviously past his peak. My expectation (realistic-ish hope?) for them the next decade is to be about Stallings era-level.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

We’ll never know, but highly doubt it. He just became the public’s defacto choice because he was the public’s defacto choice for A&M.

Lanning just said in an interview that he was home with his son watching a movie when his son’s phone went off reporting he was in Alabama.

Edited by SphyNxXx

Jimbo Fisher!  He's got the name, the arrogant attitude and the experience of being a HC in the SEC -- plus, he's available!  

15 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

Lanning just said in an interview that he was home with his son watching a movie when his son’s phone went off reporting he was in Alabama.

Yeah. He was clearly not in Tuscaloosa as reported. Wouldn’t call him out though. Just because someone says they aren’t taking the job doesn’t mean they really aren’t taking it.

No reports of either Dabo or Kiffin being in Tuscaloosa...

When did Byrne's 72-hour window start?

5 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I would be relieved if it were either of those. Please not DeBoer, please not DeBoer.

Edited by AUwent

2 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Byrne may have started a clock think every coach in America would want the Bama job. But what would be nice is the coachs they want saying thanks but no thanks, I am not gonna be the guy after Saban. Call me when you have fired 2 coaches after Saban and we will talk. 

• Like 1

Just now, AUwent said:

I would be relieved if it were either of those.

At this point, the only one I don't want to see is the Washington coach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Byrne may have started a clock think every coach in America would want the Bama job. But what would be nice is the coachs they want saying thanks but no thanks, I am not gonna be the guy after Saban. Call me when you have fired 2 coaches after Saban and we will talk. 

Yep.  Better to be Gene Stallings than Mike Shula.

It's just taking a bit longer because Norvell must have his name legally changed before he can have the job. They will not have another "Mike." Standby for Eduardo Norvell being hired.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think Lane will get the gig. 

I sure hope so.  He's fun.  He would post and say things to rile us up, but also be very beatable in the Iron Bowl.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think Lane will get the gig. 

Eh I dont think it will be Kitten, he is not a recruiter and not sure if they would want to give that up. I'd be fine with Kitten since I do not think he is all that good...I mean he is like another Gus, going to win you some games but usually not the big ones. I just not sure he likes working that hard and Bama would be 24/7...guess we will see.

20 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Please not DeBoer, please not DeBoer.

He can coach but he’d be a fish out of water at bammer. No different than Harsin in that regard. 

Bottom line…anyone other than Kirbs is an extreme downgrade post Saban. Not skeered of whoever they name. Our recruiting is up. There’s has no place to go but down. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

He can coach but he’d be a fish out of water at bammer. No different than Harsin in that regard. 

Bottom line…anyone other than Kirbs is an extreme downgrade post Saban. Not skeered of whoever they name. Our recruiting is up. There’s has no place to go but down. 

Respectfully disagree. What DeBoer did is much more in line with what Meyer did than Harsin. You can make up for lack of regional experience as long as you have national clout. Which Harsin had neither of.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2