Auburn percentage production evaluation

StatTiger

The 2023 Auburn Tigers faced the 26th most difficult strength of schedule among Auburn teams from 1970 to 2023.

Regarding yardage gained on offense, the 2023 Auburn Tigers averaged -5.6 percent fewer yards than the opposition allowed for the season. They ranked 46th among the last 54 Auburn offenses.

Regarding scoring offense, the 2023 Auburn Tigers scored .6 percent more than the opposition allowed for the season. This ranked 43rd among Auburn offenses during the last 54 seasons.

Regarding total defense, the 2023 Auburn Tigers held the opposition to -11.5 percent below their average, 22nd best among the last 54 Auburn defenses.

Regarding scoring defense, the 2023 Auburn Tigers held the opposition to -26.1 percent below their scoring average, 24th best among the last 54 Auburn defenses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Statistics are great but it is doing a disservice to the defense. The defense played better than the numbers because of how many 3 and outs the offense produced.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Statistics are great but it is doing a disservice to the defense. The defense played better than the numbers because of how many 3 and outs the offense produced.

The reality is the 2023 defense defended the 3rd fewest possessions per game (11.6) from 1992-2023, so they were not on the field more often because of the offense. They also defended the 5th fewest plays the last 34 seasons at 63.3 per game. The biggest issue on defense was surrendering too many explosive plays.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Speaking of 3 and outs, the 2023 Auburn offense ranked 16th among the last 34 seasons, and the defense ranked 18th among the last 34 Auburn defenses.

41 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I'd argue the stats show that the defense was good, if not great. 22nd and 24th out of the last 54 Auburn defenses is not bad. We've had quite a few elite defenses over the years. 

1 minute ago, cbo said:

I'd argue the stats show that the defense was good, if not great. 22nd and 24th out of the last 54 Auburn defenses is not bad. We've had quite a few elite defenses over the years. 

I thought Roberts did a solid job for what he had to work with. My biggest concern was the explosive plays allowed too often.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

The reality is the 2023 defense defended the 3rd fewest possessions per game (11.6) from 1992-2023, so they were not on the field more often because of the offense. They also defended the 5th fewest plays the last 34 seasons at 63.3 per game. The biggest issue on defense was surrendering too many explosive plays.

Was this due to the offensive or the new rules on continous clock except at the end of the game

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, where does this team rank in 4th and 31 defense versus the other teams? 🤣

Also, was the NMSU loss the worst loss of this time period? 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

New clock rules?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

New clock rules?

Very minimal effect, which surprised me. I feared it would be like 2006 but was not.

1 hour ago, aublaise said:

Was this due to the offensive or the new rules on continous clock except at the end of the game

Teams averaged 68.6 plays per game during 2022 and 66.7 during 2023.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

Thank you for the clarification.

26 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Thank you for the clarification.

WDE

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Isn’t 22 and 24th halfway to the worst? I wouldn’t say that was too good if I understood your data you shared. 

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Isn’t 22 and 24th halfway to the worst? I wouldn’t say that was too good if I understood your data you shared. 

It's halfway to the best! Be a positive guy like me. 

image.png.190e079754ed8af34409dc954d2c1579.png

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, StatTiger said:

The 2023 Auburn Tigers faced the 26th most difficult strength of schedule among Auburn teams from 1970 to 2023.

Regarding yardage gained on offense, the 2023 Auburn Tigers averaged -5.6 percent fewer yards than the opposition allowed for the season. They ranked 46th among the last 54 Auburn offenses.

Regarding scoring offense, the 2023 Auburn Tigers scored .6 percent more than the opposition allowed for the season. This ranked 43rd among Auburn offenses during the last 54 seasons.

Regarding total defense, the 2023 Auburn Tigers held the opposition to -11.5 percent below their average, 22nd best among the last 54 Auburn defenses.

Regarding scoring defense, the 2023 Auburn Tigers held the opposition to -26.1 percent below their scoring average, 24th best among the last 54 Auburn defenses.

Thanks Stat!

Do you happen to have those stats from the previous season? Be cool to see differences in these between the 2.

On 1/22/2024 at 5:27 PM, Hank2020 said:

That would make it pretty middle of the road for Auburn. Not too good or too bad.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 1:19 PM, StatTiger said:

Speaking of 3 and outs, the 2023 Auburn offense ranked 16th among the last 34 seasons, and the defense ranked 18th among the last 34 Auburn defenses.

Wow. We must have had lots of bad offenses with lots of 3 and outs if that's the case. 

9 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Wow. We must have had lots of bad offenses with lots of 3 and outs if that's the case. 

Hey 'member when we won 3-2?

Mims44 'members.