Chip Kelly to Ohio State

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I was pretty surprised by this personally. Perhaps it was only a matter of time?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39492371/ohio-state-hires-ucla-chip-kelly-replace-bill-obrien-oc 

Saw this and thought this is a good move for him.  UCLA was struggling and if they're going to be competing in the B1G anyway, then why not be located there?   

Voluntarily moving from being the head coach at a major school to a coordinator is more than passing strange. There must have been factors involved that encouraged Kelly to "look for other opportunities".

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Voluntarily moving from being the head coach at a major school to a coordinator is more than passing strange. There must have been factors involved that encouraged Kelly to "look for other opportunities".

He doesn’t like recruiting or fundraising all that much. He’s also spoke out about how annoying it is to talk NIL with recruits. At tOSU he can just focus on the offense and do some recruiting while not running the show. 

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

He doesn’t like recruiting or fundraising all that much. He’s also spoke out about how annoying it is to talk NIL with recruits. At tOSU he can just focus on the offense and do some recruiting while not running the show. 

Maybe, but if that's the case why not just hang it up and go to the beach? He's got, or should have, plenty of money.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Maybe, but if that's the case why not just hang it up and go to the beach? He's got, or should have, plenty of money.

He wants to get back to the NFL. He interviewed for multiple jobs this offseason. He’s too bright of an offensive mind to hang it up. 

However, I’d be on the golf course if I had his portfolio!

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 1:37 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Sounds like a perfect *fit*.  Make it happen.

Will make Lincoln Riley’s in-state recruiting much easier if Harsin continues to be invisible in high schools. 

Just now, gr82be said:

Will make Lincoln Riley’s in-state recruiting much easier if Harsin continues to be invisible in high schools. 

According to an ESPN news flash, UCLA has promoted from within. So, no Harsin.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mikey said:

According to an ESPN news flash, UCLA has promoted from within. So, no Harsin.

Good for them. No HC experience vs No HC effort. 

I had to look it up. Foster is popular with the players and fans. Hopefully it will work out for him. 

• Like 1

I just read about the Chip Kelly drama, now there is a coach that you really do not want to lead your program...he is only concerned about himself. Must be nice to be filthy rich when you can walk away from at least 4m in salary...

I dunno but thats pretty crazy what took place, just up and left, lol...

39 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

I just read about the Chip Kelly drama, now there is a coach that you really do not want to lead your program...he is only concerned about himself. Must be nice to be filthy rich when you can walk away from at least 4m in salary...

I dunno but thats pretty crazy what took place, just up and left, lol...

Pretty sure he knew he was gone soon. From what I heard they moved from within bc that is what they could afford at this point. Apparently money is tight until Big 10 money starts flowing.

On 2/13/2024 at 2:47 PM, gr82be said:

Good for them. No HC experience vs No HC effort. 

I had to look it up. Foster is popular with the players and fans. Hopefully it will work out for him. 

Wish him the best but until UCLA's admin gets their act together it will be difficult to win there.

UCLA vastly under recruits of what they're capable of. They could be a top 20 program year in and year out if they wanted.

• Like 1