Have we ever had a Senator worse than Tuberville?

51 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

He’s a special kind of stupid.

It really is disappointing…if you know the guy’s backstory from his time running a catfish place to coaching Auburn….real story of a guy who bet big on himself and was successful, for a time…

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

The issue is NOT complex.  People say that to evade/diminish the discussion of abortion.  Either you believe life begins at the moment of conception or you don't.  If you do believe life begins at conception, then ivf is out of consideration because ivf involves the abortion of embryos in order to have live births.  Abortion of embryos is a part of ivf.

Btw, billions of people who are not Christian believe abortion to be wrong.  Expand the scope of your understanding of this issue.

Sounds like Tuberville is addressing the issue as it relates to beliefs. Stirs the same old crowd.

https://www.al.com/politics/2024/02/tommy-tuberville-says-hes-all-for-alabama-supreme-court-embryo-ruling-but-we-need-more-kids.html

“In no way was he supporting the reaction from various medical facilities to cancel IVF procedures in the wake of the Alabama Supreme Court’s ruling. He supports the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision overturning Roe to return decisions surrounding life back to the states, which allows constituents to have a say in these significant decisions at the ballot box.”

• Sad 1

There is no real *meaningful* argument here.

A court of law at any level, including a state court, must adhere to *LEGAL* precedent and render a decision on *LEGAL* law/precedent.

A court (at any level) cannot just arbitrarily plop some sort of notion into a decision that is not (1) rooted in the U.S. Constitution, or (2) rooted in previous court precedence (like federal and SCOTUS actual decisions, and (3) not supported by science.

To just spit out some religious crapology as a basis for a decision is NOT within the scope of LAW. We already saw this when Alabama Supreme Court Justice was thrown out TWICE for his religious crapology.

There is no LEGAL or MEDICAL or SCIENTIFIC basis for asserting that frozen embryos used for IVF are "persons." It's a totally ridiculous notion that is not even supported by any sort of Biblical text.

This ruling will obviously be contested and overthrown. And if the idiot Bama government lawyers decide to pursue it further in the federal court system, it will be trashed.

There is no LEGAL basis for this ruling. Just typical Alabama religious fanaticism imposed upon our citizenry.

Another reason to vote these crackpots OUT.

• Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, AURex said:

There is no real *meaningful* argument here.

A court of law at any level, including a state court, must adhere to *LEGAL* precedent and render a decision on *LEGAL* law/precedent.

A court (at any level) cannot just arbitrarily plop some sort of notion into a decision that is not (1) rooted in the U.S. Constitution, or (2) rooted in previous court precedence (like federal and SCOTUS actual decisions, and (3) not supported by science.

To just spit out some religious crapology as a basis for a decision is NOT within the scope of LAW. We already saw this when Alabama Supreme Court Justice was thrown out TWICE for his religious crapology.

There is no LEGAL or MEDICAL or SCIENTIFIC basis for asserting that frozen embryos used for IVF are "persons." It's a totally ridiculous notion that is not even supported by any sort of Biblical text.

This ruling will obviously be contested and overthrown. And if the idiot Bama government lawyers decide to pursue it further in the federal court system, it will be trashed.

There is no LEGAL basis for this ruling. Just typical Alabama religious fanaticism imposed upon our citizenry.

Another reason to vote these crackpots OUT.

There is a legal basis and a legal argument. It’s based on the 2018 amendment to the state constitution. Whether that amendment was a good idea or not is another question. The amendment is vague and written in a way to satisfy ideologues and not written in a way to promote sound governance. 
https://codes.findlaw.com/al/alabama-constitution-of-1901/al-const-art-i-sect-36-06/

It is not a big reach to see embryos as “unborn children.” Thus the complexity of clarifying when life begins— conception? You get this ruling. Viability? That was Roe.

On 2/22/2024 at 8:58 PM, Son of A Tiger said:

I would vote for Tubs in a heartbeat over any democrat in Alabama I can think of. I don't agree with everything he does but he is out with the people and transparent. He is for sure better than the lap dog Doug Jones that he beat.

Doug Jones has done far more to promote a better society. Than Tubs has even thought about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

He’s a special kind of stupid.

i loved him as a coach but now he just embarrasses me. he needs to go back to duck hunting.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sounds like Tuberville is addressing the issue as it relates to beliefs. Stirs the same old crowd.

https://www.al.com/politics/2024/02/tommy-tuberville-says-hes-all-for-alabama-supreme-court-embryo-ruling-but-we-need-more-kids.html

“In no way was he supporting the reaction from various medical facilities to cancel IVF procedures in the wake of the Alabama Supreme Court’s ruling. He supports the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision overturning Roe to return decisions surrounding life back to the states, which allows constituents to have a say in these significant decisions at the ballot box.”

Sounds like his beliefs are as muddled as his embrace of the Tony Franklin offense.

• Haha 3

Gotta love the irony of this coming from a state that once felt black people weren't actually people but chattel.

(And clung to that idea for generations.)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Really an intelligent contribution to the  discussion. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

do you know how big a boy tex is?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

do you know how big a boy tex is?

I'm just laughing at Son's hypocrisy, based on his original comment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Really an intelligent contribution to the  discussion. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

Thanks, but it was actually a layup. Okay, more of a tip in.

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Sounds like his beliefs are as muddled as his embrace of the Tony Franklin offense.

I thought the statement was clear.

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Gotta love the irony of this coming from a state that once felt black people weren't actually people but chattel.

(And clung to that idea for generations.)

Who is chattel?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I thought the statement was clear.

If you’re following it, he initially embraced contradictory positions.

On 2/22/2024 at 8:44 PM, Elephant Tipper said:

No, again, ivf promotes abortion, which TT, as a Christian, is against, whether it causes more births or not.  TT is pro life.  Why would he promote a policy that includes abortion ?

Well, apparently Tuberville isn't as pro-life as you thought. He now says he supports IVF and wants it protected. 

https://www.al.com/news/2024/02/tuberville-now-says-he-disagrees-with-alabama-supreme-court-embryo-ruling-its-going-to-be-ok.html

• Like 1

If y’all think this is fun wait until they get to birth control. 

• Like 2

A bunch of old male politicians discussing what to do about embryos and the uterus. 😅

On 2/25/2024 at 2:03 PM, homersapien said:

Look it up Salty.  (You too, 78)

misinterpret.gif

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2024 at 2:03 PM, homersapien said:

Look it up Salty.  (You too, 78)

You know exactly what I mean. Ashamed of you again Brother Homer.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:47 AM, Cardin Drake said:

IVF doesn't require the abortion of some implanted embryos.  They implant multiples, but usually only one or two make it to a successful pregnancy.  Occasionally too many become viable fetuses and the parents and doctors face the awful dilemma of selective reduction, otherwise the mother is likely to lose them all. 

This Alabama Supreme Court decision is idiotic however and will kill IVF in Alabama. Let's hope it doesn't spread to other red states. Republicans love to shoot themselves in the foot.

True.

The couple gets to decide all that. How many total are to be done, if some are kept for later, how many are implanted at a time, etc.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:50 AM, AUDub said:

You don’t know how IVF works. 

There is a lot of.... weird responses in this thread.

To be fair if my brother and his wife wouldn't have had to use it... and I wasn't his human manifestation of a worry stone. I likely wouldn't know much about it either ;)