Easter Sunday. Christians should do the right thing & expand Medicaid coverage for the poor.

There is no greater biblical directive than for Christians to love their brothers and sisters and care for them.  Even so, we continue to allow politicians in the deep South to block efforts to expand coverage for those that need it most.   Instead of accepting matching Federal funds, we reject those funds for no real reason, other than stubborn politics. 

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/politics/georgia-medicaid-expansion-bill-fails/85-18f93ea1-e878-4e62-93c9-0e3f84d4c0e2

medicaidexpansion.JPG

• Thanks 1

If we really have separation of church and state why do Dems always bring Christianity up as the guiding principals for government to live by?  Christianity is personal thing and helping people on a personal level.  If you have a problem with these southern states, bring that up and leave religion out of it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

There is no greater biblical directive than for Christians to love their brothers and sisters and care for them.  Even so, we continue to allow politicians in the deep South to block efforts to expand coverage for those that need it most.   Instead of accepting matching Federal funds, we reject those funds for no real reason, other than stubborn politics. 

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/politics/georgia-medicaid-expansion-bill-fails/85-18f93ea1-e878-4e62-93c9-0e3f84d4c0e2

medicaidexpansion.JPG

Before we really get into this topic. Explain exactly how you are caring for the poor? Provide real examples. Oh, and just giving money is not an example. 

P.S. FYI, I believe in National Healthcare for all citizens.

Edited by creed
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

If we really have separation of church and state why do Dems always bring Christianity up as the guiding principals for government to live by?  Christianity is personal thing and helping people on a personal level.  If you have a problem with these southern states, bring that up and leave religion out of it.  

In my opinion, and contrary to the threads title, I would think churches, their outreach, members or volunteers have supported the poor more than all governmental organizations combined world wide. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, creed said:

In my opinion, and contrary to the threads title, I would think churches, their outreach, members or volunteers have supported the poor more than all governmental organizations combined world wide. 

So you’re saying churches provide more healthcare than all governments around the world combined?

21 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So you’re saying churches provide more healthcare than all governments around the world combined?

From the beginning of the church and adjusted for inflation I believe it has. Remember the church has about a 2000 year head start. Just my opinion. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, creed said:

From the beginning of the church and adjusted for inflation I believe it has. Remember the church has about a 2000 year head start. Just my opinion. 

We counting exorcisms? Sacrifices?

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

We counting exorcisms? Sacrifices?

Religious wars? Genocide of "pagan" cultures? Crusades? Pogroms?

The idea that Christianity (the church) has been - or is - reflective of the teachings of Christ is one of the greatest hoaxes in history.

Here’s a link to what Catholic charities healthcare provides and they’ve been doing healthcare longer than the US has been a nation. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_health_care

1 minute ago, creed said:

Here’s a link to what Catholic charities healthcare provides and they’ve been doing healthcare longer than the US has been a nation. 

Okay, but worldwide? A lot of countries are providing full healthcare to their citizens.

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Religious wars? Genocide of "pagan" cultures? Crusades? Pogroms?

The idea that Christianity (the church) has been - or is - reflective of the teachings of Christ is one of the greatest hoaxes in history.

Are you looking for a perfect church or perfect people that profess they are Christians? I’ll save you some time neither exists. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, creed said:

Before we really get into this topic. Explain exactly how you are caring for the poor? Provide real examples. Oh, and just giving money is not an example. 

P.S. FYI, I believe in National Healthcare for all citizens.

Personally, there is certainly more that I could do.  I volunteer and work with Empty Stocking at Christmas and I try to stay involved by working with our church food shelter and by volunteering time advising low income clients thru Georgia Pro Bono Legal Services.  That wasn't the point being made.

My point is that we consider ourselves to be a Christian nation, while acknowledging the need for separation of church and state.  Today is Easter Sunday.  I heard excuse after excuse last week in Georgia from Republican lawmakers as to why they would not vote for Medicaid expansion.  The excuses made little sense.  They ranged from pretend fears that the hospital system would be overwhelmed to being steadfast that they would not vote for "socialized medicine."  The irony is that many holding that view themselves have government and group plans.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Leave religion out of it... until you want to bring it up?  Do you leave religion out of the abortion debate? Do you leave religion out of debates over same sex unions?  You cannot have your cake and eat it too.  It is beyond mere hypocrisy to use the church when it helps galvanize your point, but ignore it when it shows your actions to be morally suspect.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Personally, there is certainly more that I could do.  I volunteer and work with Empty Stocking at Christmas and I try to stay involved by working with our church food shelter and by volunteering time advising low income clients thru Georgia Pro Bono Legal Services.  That wasn't the point being made.

My point is that we consider ourselves to be a Christian nation, while acknowledging the need for separation of church and state.  Today is Easter Sunday.  I heard excuse after excuse last week in Georgia from Republican lawmakers as to why they would not vote for Medicaid expansion.  The excuses made little sense.  They ranged from pretend fears that the hospital system would be overwhelmed to being steadfast that they would not vote for "socialized medicine."  The irony is that many holding that view themselves have government and group plans.

Thank you for what you and your church does to provide help to the poor and needy. We need to continue to pray that national health care will one day become a reality, but until that time the church needs to stay fast in providing as much help at it can. History hopefully shows, by looking at other advanced countries, that one day healthcare will becme a right for all citizens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Do you leave religion out of the abortion debate?

Yes,

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Do you leave religion out of debates over same sex unions? 

Yes

I don’t even use religion when talking about transing the kids.  It’s evil and wrong just on the face of it.

4 hours ago, creed said:

Are you looking for a perfect church or perfect people that profess they are Christians? I’ll save you some time neither exists. 

You have a keen eye for the obvious. ;)

4 hours ago, creed said:

And I think that's great.  But I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make.

Should we not expect our government to take responsibility for healthcare of our entire populace?

On 3/31/2024 at 8:58 PM, homersapien said:

And I think that's great.  But I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make.

Should we not expect our government to take responsibility for healthcare of our entire populace?

Just making a point that the church, which was started in the new testament, was tasked by Jesus to help the poor, the outcasts, and the needy. Has there been gaps in judgement?....absolutely. Has there been questionable actions?...Yes.

Has the church met needs to provide help when needed? ABSOLUTELY. And the church has been doing it longer than any organization. And it will continue to be needed until there is a national healthcare system.

I do agree in national healthcare and the ability for me, you and everyone to have access to healthcare. However, I expect me to be responsibe for my own health using the healthcare system.

Edited by creed
  • Like 2

To add to the discussion about the Christian faith and medical care the three oldest hospitals in the United States were each started by Christians, and each remains a leader in the innovation of modern healthcare practices:

-  Pennsylvania Hospital — founded in 1751 by Quaker Christian Dr. Thomas Bond and Benjamin Franklin.  Pennsylvania Hospital is a top ranked hospital.

-  New York–Presbyterian Hospital — founded in 1771 by Episcopal Christian Samuel Bard; ranked number ten in the nation today. (Note: Founder Samuel Bard established an Episcopal church even while he led some of the earliest medical schools in the history of the United States.)

-  Massachusetts General Hospital — founded in 1811 by Rev. John Bartlett, who was motivated by Christian charity for the poor; another top ranked hospital.

• Like 1

As long as they pay their fair share……

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

As long as they pay their fair share……

What does that mean? Elaborate. 

13 hours ago, JMWATS said:

To add to the discussion about the Christian faith and medical care the three oldest hospitals in the United States were each started by Christians, and each remains a leader in the innovation of modern healthcare practices:

-  Pennsylvania Hospital — founded in 1751 by Quaker Christian Dr. Thomas Bond and Benjamin Franklin.  Pennsylvania Hospital is a top ranked hospital.

-  New York–Presbyterian Hospital — founded in 1771 by Episcopal Christian Samuel Bard; ranked number ten in the nation today. (Note: Founder Samuel Bard established an Episcopal church even while he led some of the earliest medical schools in the history of the United States.)

-  Massachusetts General Hospital — founded in 1811 by Rev. John Bartlett, who was motivated by Christian charity for the poor; another top ranked hospital.

“Founded.” So was Harvard.

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

“Founded.” So was Harvard.

As were the majority of the rest of the Ivy League schools.  

Edited by JMWATS

Easter Sunday. Christians should do the right thing & expand Medicaid coverage for the poor ALL.

FTFY...

• Like 2

This isn’t a Christian thing. It’s a money thing. We simply can’t afford it. And the problem is accelerating. If we didn’t have the current debt we could afford Medicare for all and even throw in giving the poor Maserati’s and a week in Cabo.  Until we start having real conversations about attacking the debt and a “can we afford it” mentality - this is all…whimsical.

image.thumb.png.870638d60f765480717626d2294620d3.png

Edited by auburnatl1