What are our interests here?

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

You have got to be the laziest, stupidest partisan on this site. 

That - and his habit of compulsively responding - is exactly why I put him on "ignore".  It's stupid but it's relentlessly stupid. :no:  He simply can't cut his loses - assuming he even recognizes them ;D

Edited by homersapien

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

Ukraine, Israel, and potentially Taiwan. Each very different situations. One thing in common - all democracies under attack/threat from autocracies. 

Israel is an apples to oranges comparison though. They hold the upper hand in their conflict. 

largely thanks to us. 

The US is shooting down drones as we speak. 

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Israel is an apples to oranges comparison though. They hold the upper hand in their conflict. 

largely thanks to us. 

Agreed. But if Iran weighs in (which they appear to be initiating) the math starts changing.

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

Agreed. But if Iran weighs in (which they appear to be initiating) the math starts changing.

The US could obliterate Iran’s standing military capability in a week, and that’s if I’m being charitable. 

4 minutes ago, AUDub said:

The US is shooting down drones as we speak. 

Drones from that distance are designed to be shot down. 

Just now, TexasTiger said:

But why does the U.S. need to do it and get involved at this point?

Depends. It was supposed to be in concert with missile strikes but they’re not sending up dozens of decoys. They expect some of them to penetrate. 

Just now, AUDub said:

The US could obliterate Iran’s standing military capability in a week, and that’s if I’m being charitable. 

I wasn’t including the US in the thinking.  In a one off I agree. But that would  introduce other dynamics beyond Iran.  And begin stretching us across multiple hot spots.

Which may be the plan.

Just now, Son of A Tiger said:

But why does the U.S. need to do it and get involved at this point?

Could you imagine the outrage if Biden didn’t move to defend Israel against Iran. 

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I wasn’t including the US in the thinking.  In a one off I agree. But that would  introduce other dynamics beyond Iran.  And begin stretching us across multiple hot spots.

Which may be the plan.

Again, Israel is a poor ally. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

One wonders if that's the basis of Natanyahu's strategy

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Could you imagine the outrage if Biden didn’t move to defend Israel against Iran. 

Why should anyone be outraged? I thought the prevailing sentiment was we should support Israel if needed. So why are we not letting Israel handle things right now?

4 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

But our reserves are not full and we are not energy independent.

They weren’t full under Trump, either.

Why should anyone be outraged? I thought the prevailing sentiment was we should support Israel if needed. So why are we not letting Israel handle things right now?

Are you this ignorant of American politics or are you taking the piss? 

• Haha 2

They weren’t full under Trump, either.

Maybe I am wrong but I thoght they were at one point in his term. But we were energy independent.

Are you this ignorant of American politics or are you taking the piss? 

Maybe he was suggesting we stop supporting Israel? :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Wow you are just plain nasty tonight. 

I mean it’s bleeding obvious dude. Israel has us by the nuts. We can’t stand by and let them get hit . Our support for them is baked in. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Maybe I am wrong but I thoght they were at one point in his term. But we were energy independent.

Trump kept saying he did. Says it now. Not true. 

According to data from the Energy Information Administration (EIA), when Trump took office in January 2017, the SPR contained 695 million barrels. When he left office four years later, the SPR contained 638 million barrels. So, the level of the SPR actually declined while President Trump was in office. You can see this clearly in the chart below:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2022/11/16/fact-checking-donald-trump-on-the-strategic-petroleum-reserve/?sh=3439c69e5c65

Biden has depleted them more to offset Saudi cut backs, but it’s not a US production issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean it’s bleeding obvious dude. Israel has us by the nuts. We can’t stand by and let them get it. Our support for them is baked in. 

Well sonny it's one thing to make our support known if needed. That doesn't mean we have to get actively involved unless Israel needs us to. In the case of these drones they don't need us. They have the capability to take them out.

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Biden has depleted them more to offset Saudi cut backs, but it’s not a US production issue.

If we can produce so much oil why are we dependent on the Saudis and why are gas prices so high?

Well sonny it's one thing to make our support known if needed. That doesn't mean we have to get actively involved unless Israel needs us to. In the case of these drones they don't need us. They have the capability to take them out.

There are cruise missiles too man.

Any president that doesn’t offer proactive unconditional support is done. Forever. Seriously. It would be the literal end of the road for them lol.