Soooo why did Marcus Harris go to the draft again?

Could have made more money in NIL money next season at AU than as a 6th,7th or UDFA draft pick. Which usually just means practice squad. Just doesn’t make any sense. NIL is built for the fringe guys coming back. Like Broome in bball.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Can he or Justin Rodgers come back if they don’t get drafted? 

Lolol ooops!!! Forgot about Justin Rodgers. Yah he made an even worse decision. And noooope. They cannot.

This whole draft was a disgrace. I hope Hugh can turn the tide for us putting players in the league, because damn.

Marcus could have probably improved his stock a ton with one more year.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Never mind - they were both drafted. But… both should’ve came back for one more year.

In the last round! Better off being undrafted at that point so you can at least pick what team you can go to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

In the last round! Better off being undrafted at that point so you can at least pick what team you can go to.

Exactly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This whole draft was a disgrace. I hope Hugh can turn the tide for us putting players in the league, because damn.

Marcus could have probably improved his stock a ton with one more year.

Even with the portal on top of HS recruiting, retaining players for their post-draft eligible years, when it benefits the team AND the player, is an incredibly important part of recruiting.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Can he or Justin Rodgers come back if they don’t get drafted? 

It's funny that you can in CBB. I would imagine the rationale is that you can come out as a freshman in CBB + you have way more opportunities to be drafted in CFB. 

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It's funny that you can in CBB. I would imagine the rationale is that you can come out as a freshman in CBB + you have way more opportunities to be drafted in CFB. 

You cannot in CBB. If you declare for the draft and don’t pull your name out by the designated day you are supposed to you are SOL if you don’t get drafted.

Harris was never gone get drafted too high, he’s an undersized interior DL. Best of luck to him I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually made a team

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, cbo said:

Even with the portal on top of HS recruiting, retaining players for their post-draft eligible years, when it benefits the team AND the player, is an incredibly important part of recruiting.

Good point, but all AU guys were taken at the bottom end of the draft, which doesn’t scream, come play here. Yes, the NIL is here and will remain, but AU has one of the poorest track records of turning out guys in the top 3 or even 4 rounds. Kids look at that and unfortunately, it’s a very negative indictment on the prior two, maybe three coaching staffs. This year and 25 will tell us whether or not we have the HC in place to string together more than 8 win seasons like his mentor did. I so hope I am wrong, but I need to see a product on the field. Getting great portal guys and even top HS guys means nothing, if they aren’t coached to their true potential. Just my thoughts currently after 1 year of a great recruiter, but questionable HC. 

• Like 2

Auburn players all got drafted in very late rounds. Personally, I don't watch NFL and I'm certainly no expert on NFL talent, but I wonder about this. With Harsin at the helm and CHF in rebuild mode, were Auburn players undervalued? Or were the leftovers from Harsin just that mediocre? Personally, I thought Pritchett was a good DB -- certainly better than some of the DBs taken before him. But did the scouts and the combine bring him down? Were his measurables deficient? Did he tank in the combine?

I dunno. I'm just asking. Why were Auburn defensive players taken so late?

42 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Good point, but all AU guys were taken at the bottom end of the draft, which doesn’t scream, come play here. Yes, the NIL is here and will remain, but AU has one of the poorest track records of turning out guys in the top 3 or even 4 rounds. Kids look at that and unfortunately, it’s a very negative indictment on the prior two, maybe three coaching staffs. This year and 25 will tell us whether or not we have the HC in place to string together more than 8 win seasons like his mentor did. I so hope I am wrong, but I need to see a product on the field. Getting great portal guys and even top HS guys means nothing, if they aren’t coached to their true potential. Just my thoughts currently after 1 year of a great recruiter, but questionable HC. 

I wasn't clear, but my point was a successful coach needs to recruit guys to stay. When it's in the team and player's best interest. 

Next season's team would look a lot better with Harris, James, Pritchett, Simpson, Harris, and Rogers. And, arguably, those guys would have been better off with another year at Auburn. Recruiting these guys to stay is huge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

You cannot in CBB. If you declare for the draft and don’t pull your name out by the designated day you are supposed to you are SOL if you don’t get drafted.

It looks like there was a recommendation from a NCAA committee to make this rule change but that was never actually pushed through. That’s my bad 

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lolol ooops!!! Forgot about Justin Rodgers. Yah he made an even worse decision. And noooope. They cannot.

Why?!?

Because they are now professionals?

/Sarc

9 hours ago, AURex said:

Auburn players all got drafted in very late rounds. Personally, I don't watch NFL and I'm certainly no expert on NFL talent, but I wonder about this. With Harsin at the helm and CHF in rebuild mode, were Auburn players undervalued? Or were the leftovers from Harsin just that mediocre?

I didn't read any evals on the Auburn DB's, but the the problem started way before Harsin.  I think Gus recruited guys on offense who he thought would work in his system when he should've been recruiting guys who had Sunday potential and figuring it out. NFL wants massive O line roadgrader types; Gus did not.  Harsin was left with a mess and did nothing to change it.

• Like 3

This thread shows me that people have been on social media reading about how the University of Alabama has more NFL draft picks than Auburn. Nothing more, nothing less. 

In the 1980's, Auburn and Miami had the most NFL draft picks.

Moving forward, Auburn is going to have more NFL draft picks than they have had in the past 10 years if we stick with Hugh Freeze who has been recruiting and raising the money to recruit. 

Alabama is going to have less NFL draft picks. Everyone with money will be getting players who can play in the NFL. 

10 hours ago, cbo said:

I wasn't clear, but my point was a successful coach needs to recruit guys to stay. When it's in the team and player's best interest. 

Next season's team would look a lot better with Harris, James, Pritchett, Simpson, Harris, and Rogers. And, arguably, those guys would have been better off with another year at Auburn. Recruiting these guys to stay is huge. 

And Freeze is in agreement. 

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I thought it had something to do with hiring an agent? Not sure.

Marcus stock was not gonna drastically improve by coming back, He still would have fell into the 5-7 round category. One could argue it was true for most of the guys that went. I feel confident the players knew of the NIL potential but opted for the opportunity to make money over time vs one season. Get drafted work hard and make a roster. I am rooting for all of them to do big things, there will be some busts from rounds 1-2 and some diamonds from rounds 5-7. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m assuming it was about agents, money, amateurism vs professionalism etc…

well those old ways are shot to hell.  A seventh rounder needs to go back to college and sue the ncaa for reinstatement.  NCAA has been clubbed in the courts regarding athletes rules.  Why not this issue also.  It’ll give the kids more control over their careers.  May torpedo their futures in the nfl but it’d be fun to watch yet more chaos

edit:  and I’d love to have those 2 guys back

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He was first team All-Sec, there’s a good chance he’s at his ceiling as is. At a minimum he’s got a shot and now it’s up to him to make it or not. I don’t think I’d have disagreed with any decision he made on this one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

He was first team All-Sec, there’s a good chance he’s at his ceiling as is. At a minimum he’s got a shot and now it’s up to him to make it or not. I don’t think I’d have disagreed with any decision he made on this one. 

Derrick Brown came back to play a year with his brother. I assumed Marcus Harris would do the same. The guys who aren’t going to be high draft picks need to maximize their nil potential like Broome is doing in bball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I thought it had something to do with hiring an agent? Not sure.

You can hire a agent and all of that but you still have to remove your name for draft consideration by the deadline.