Tre Smith

WarEagle_57

I've asked this before, but I don't think I ever got a response, so it was probably on ITAT and it got lost at the end of a long thread. It's obvious that Tre has moved to the back of the depth chart, right back to where he was as a freshman, and will likely never have a chance to move into a starting role again unless there is a swarm of injuries. With Tre getting a medical redshirt, do you think we are just going to leave him sitting at 4th string the next 2 years? Is there any chace he could get moved to wide out, or line him up in the slot as a reciever? He seems to do very well on screens and passing plays, and with Irons, Stewart, and Lester all returning, I don't see him getting to play any other way. Diddn't the coaches consider moving him to DB at one point? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Anyway, with the loss of Obo, Mix, and Aro this year, i though he might get a chance as a little playing time at WR. I know the his heighth would be a disadvantage, but could this still be a possibility. Does anyone see a future for Tre at AU?

I've asked this before, but I don't think I ever got a response, so it was probably on ITAT and it got lost at the end of a long thread. It's obvious that Tre has moved to the back of the depth chart, right back to where he was as a freshman, and will likely never have a chance to move into a starting role again unless there is a swarm of injuries. With Tre getting a medical redshirt, do you think we are just going to leave him sitting at 4th string the next 2 years? Is there any chace he could get moved to wide out, or line him up in the slot as a reciever? He seems to do very well on screens and passing plays, and with Irons, Stewart, and Lester all returning, I don't see him getting to play any other way. Diddn't the coaches consider moving him to DB at one point? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Anyway, with the loss of Obo, Mix, and Aro this year, i though he might get a chance as a little playing time at WR. I know the his heighth would be a disadvantage, but could this still be a possibility. Does anyone see a future for Tre at AU?

186797[/snapback]

If he's not good enough to start then he's not good enough to start, i don't understand this love afair with tre smith, he's gotten beat out every year he's been here, he is a solid back-up at tail-back and thats it.

I think TT somewhat stubbornly keeps Tre at punt returner when Lester is leading the country in average retuen. We will always be indebted to Tre for his gut performance on a cold night in Tuscalooser but he simply isn't the best back we have, so the coaches have to do what's best for the team. I think TT and EG have given him a ton of chances to be #1.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I think TT somewhat stubbornly keeps Tre at punt returner when Lester is leading the country in average retuen. We will always be indebted to Tre for his gut performance on a cold night in Tuscalooser but he simply isn't the best back we have, so the coaches have to do what's best for the team. I think TT and EG have given him a ton of chances to be #1.

186806[/snapback]

Agreed.

But, just to be devil's advocate, returning punts and kickoffs (which is where Lester leads the nation) are two different things. Punts are much harder to field and usually produce lower return averages.

186806[/snapback]

I think CTT values ball security on punt returns more than being able to break one, so right now Tre's the guy. If CTT continues to gain confidence in Lester's abilities in that regard, he'll make the switch. But he'd rather have less on the return but get the ball than play the risk/reward game with a freshman.

186806[/snapback]

Agreed.

But, just to be devil's advocate, returning punts and kickoffs (which is where Lester leads the nation) are two different things. Punts are much harder to field and usually produce lower return averages.

186810[/snapback]

you're right on the fielding part, i remember one game roderick hood dropped a punt and the next series he wasn't back there fielding punts. CTT puts an emphasis on hands..........i'd still like to see lester get a shot at some punts.

Let me ask you this....Why in the world would we line up a 5'10 (looks like 5'8) guy at WR when we have 6'0 or taller players with greater speed and ability already coming into the program?

I'm not saying I think he is one of the best RBs and should be playing there. I don't even think he should be returning punts. I'm sick of him letting them hit and roll 15 more yards. I'm just wondering if there's a chace he will get moved to somehwere else of if he will graduate at the greatest 4 year 4th string tailback of all time.

i don't understand this love afair with tre smith,

Then you dont understand auburn football, or else you slept through the 2002 Iron Bowl.

Tre is 4th in the league in Punt Returns. I think he is doing a fine job. Lets let Lester get get some PT before we throw him to the wolves. (remember Robert Baker in Little Rock in 1995).

Tre has a respectable 4.5 yards per carry. Most schools that earns you a starting job. At Auburn ... you are 3rd best.

Then you dont understand auburn football, or else you slept through the 2002 Iron Bowl.

Tre is 4th in the league in Punt Returns. I think he is doing a fine job. Lets let Lester get get some PT before we throw him to the wolves. (remember Robert Baker in Little Rock in 1995).

Tre has a respectable 4.5 yards per carry. Most schools that earns you a starting job. At Auburn ... you are 3rd best.

186852[/snapback]

which is why he doesn't start, yay for tre smith for rushing for 128 yards in the iron bowl, does that mean that auburn is obligated to get him into the game, no. Look he is a good back but he isn't good enough to start at auburn.

186852[/snapback]

which is why he doesn't start, yay for tre smith for rushing for 128 yards in the iron bowl, does that mean that auburn is obligated to get him into the game, no. Look he is a good back but he isn't good enough to start at auburn.

186853[/snapback]

The voices in my head :blink: , my bad i got off topic, i just don't like tre smith that much, its great he's got good hands but outside of the bama game i've never been impressed, most of his carries come late in the game against back ups anyways. Also i said this on a previous thread, tre's return yardage will decrease when we start playing teams that can cover punts better. Does anyone else not think he dances too much instead of just running?

Tre is a good ball player. He's solid on punt returns and gives us depth in the backfield. If you noticed, Auburn employed two punt returners against the Cocks, presumably because the Cock kicker was running to his right and kicking an end over end type kick down the sidelines. Other times he punted straight on.

The point being, the two return men were Tre and Lee Guess. I feel like as much as we like to project what this player or that would do at a position, the staff sees them everyday and knows who is best to put out there. TMajor brings up a valid point in the difference in kick returns and punt returns. I just can't see the coaching staff starting one player over another out of loyalty.

Aren't we coming dangerously close to talking ill of an AUBURN TIGER on this thread?

Tre Smith is a tough-hard nosed football player. He is an even better human. His work ethic has been boasted about by all of the coaches. I, for at least ONE, am very proud to have someone of his character on OUR team.

Wherever he plays in the line up, I think we will get the best he has to offer. His best is good enough for me. :au:

WDE ! ! !

186852[/snapback]

So far Tre has been very reliable on punts. He might not run them back, but he always gets positive yards.

Tre might not be the most talented player on our team, but he does have alot of heart and he makes good decisions that don't get us in trouble. He is a valuable part of our offense and can be really helpful when our coaches find creative ways to use him.

Mark this day, for posterity.  PowerI made a 100% positive post!

186910[/snapback]

It's not that I made a positive comment, it's that I think this guy is special. His effort and heart is what makes him special. As far as negative comments, I can deal with and dish out negative comments about coaches, but I can't deal with negative comments about players. So these people that are critisizing Tre need to get off his back. I think he is doing a heck of a job.

Aren't we coming dangerously close to talking ill of an AUBURN TIGER on this thread?

Tre Smith is a tough-hard nosed football player. He is an even better human. His work ethic has been boasted about by all of the coaches. I, for at least ONE,  am very proud to have someone of his character on OUR team.

Wherever he plays in the line up, I think we will get the best he has to offer. His best is good enough for me. :au:

WDE ! ! !

186899[/snapback]

Ditto War Damn Eagle Tim!

Many on this board have been to the AU practices. Those that have, realize what these guys go through to get ready and perform for all of us on Saturdays. These guys go through 100 times more than the average student, not to mention the physical pain and sacrifices they make. Most will never see a paycheck for playing football.(Except at Bama :big: sorry, couldn't resist).

I have all the respect in the world for these young men and what they do so we can sit here and play Monday morning QB.

To sum it up, Tre Smith is definitely not the best football player on the team, but has heart and spirit. Go Tre :au::thumbsup:

i'll try to hit all the Qs on this thread at once.

tre fields punts b/c he hasn't muffed one since lsu in 2003, and i think you could count on no fingers the number of guys that played well down there. also, apparently no one watched the work he did against south carolina. so either someone thinks usc's special teams are worse than ball state OR tre pretty much shot the "his returns will get worse as the talent on the other sideline increases" theory all to hades.

tre can contribute at tailback, but he's not good enough to start. period. he just doesn't have the burst that lester has, the size that stewart has, or the vision that kenny has. but that just means we've got a 5 ypc average at 4th string.

for whoever asked why you'd play a guy that's 5'9" (i'm 5'8" and i see him at lowder, he's an inch taller than me) at receiver instead of a guy that's 6' and fast: santana moss and steve smith are pretty good examples BUT i'll defer to josh reid of lsu. former running back that couldn't break the lineup, not a super fast guy by any stretch, lead the sec in receiving his senior year. i'd love to see tre get a shot at receiver next year. he can help us more at tailback/returner this year.

i'll try to hit all the Qs on this thread at once.

tre fields punts b/c he hasn't muffed one since lsu in 2003, and i think you could count on no fingers the number of guys that played well down there. also, apparently no one watched the work he did against south carolina. so either someone thinks usc's special teams are worse than ball state OR tre pretty much shot the "his returns will get worse as the talent on the other sideline increases" theory all to hades.

tre can contribute at tailback, but he's not good enough to start. period. he just doesn't have the burst that lester has, the size that stewart has, or the vision that kenny has. but that just means we've got a 5 ypc average at 4th string.

for whoever asked why you'd play a guy that's 5'9" (i'm 5'8" and i see him at lowder, he's an inch taller than me) at receiver instead of a guy that's 6' and fast: santana moss and steve smith are pretty good examples BUT i'll defer to josh reid of lsu. former running back that couldn't break the lineup, not a super fast guy by any stretch, lead the sec in receiving his senior year. i'd love to see tre get a shot at receiver next year. he can help us more at tailback/returner this year.

186957[/snapback]

technically he muffed one last year when he got in caddy's way and it bounced off of caddy's shoulder, look guys, no one is questioning his heart but the fact is that he isn't as talented as at least two, maybe three of our backs, and one is a red shirt freshman. Tre Smith may be an asset for this team but i don't think he "has" to be on the field for us to win.

To sum it up, Tre Smith is definitely not the best football player on the team, but has heart and spirit.  Go Tre  :au:   :thumbsup:

186938[/snapback]

Which is EXACTLY why I want to find some way to get this guy on the field a little more next year.

To sum it up, Tre Smith is definitely not the best football player on the team, but has heart and spirit.  Go Tre  :au:    :thumbsup:

186938[/snapback]

Which is EXACTLY why I want to find some way to get this guy on the field a little more next year.

186973[/snapback]

sam rives has heart and spirit

To sum it up, Tre Smith is definitely not the best football player on the team, but has heart and spirit.  Go Tre  :au:    :thumbsup:

186938[/snapback]

186973[/snapback]

sam rives has heart and spirit

186976[/snapback]

But, alas, He graduated LAST year. ;)

Archived