Smoke 'em if you got 'em

CircleDrill

I have heard various accounts of how the whole :au: and :lsu: cigar thing started. Anyone care to share the "truth" about how this started and how long it has been going on?

If you don't know what I am referring to, after the :lsu: game we pull out cigars and smoke them after we win. This year will be no exception, and I was telling someone about this the other day but did not know when it started.

I believe that started at the 1999 game in BR, won by Auburn 41-7. CTT smoked a cigar on the filed after the game. It was his first conference win, I bleieve.

I believe that started at the 1999 game in BR, won by Auburn 41-7.  CTT smoked a cigar on the filed after the game.  It was his first conference win, I bleieve.

190953[/snapback]

You are right on the date but a little off about CTT smoking a cigar, well...he did...but it goes like this:

CTT in 1999 had "cigar" games in which, if we won, the team would get cigars. Turns out, after the 41-7 win in Baton Rouge, the players were on the field with their cigars in their mouths after the game was a done deal.

This angered many LSU fans...but now for some reason, I guess in revenge, try to accomplish the same feat. Now you see LSU fans smoking cigars after they beat Auburn, although not many really do that anymore...it was mainly the year after for revenge.

players were on the field with their cigars in their mouths after the game was a done deal.

This angered many LSU fans...

i was down there that night. all this happened LONG after the game was over. there wasnt a dozen lsu people still there to see it. only a very few thousand were there when the game ended. they had all gone to the parking lot about half way thru the 3rd. but to hear them tell it now, it was during half time and a standing room only crowd was still in the house. tiger stadium wont hold all the people that claim to have seen the cigars. now, it did pizz them off. but most only heard about it. there were more auburn people still in the stands by then by far. but it did pizz them off !!

i don't see how that pisses off an LSU fan, its not like they did it on the 50 yard line. In all honesty you guys should be more pissed at the score, not a program that was on the rebound with its first big win.

i don't see how that pisses off an LSU fan, its not like they did it on the 50 yard line.  In all honesty you guys should be more pissed at the score, not a program that was on the rebound with its first big win.

191014[/snapback]

Trust me the score played a HUGE part in the frustration....

and about your comment about "its not like they did it on the 50"....well to me that really doesn't matter, but they are on the 40 in the center of the field. :D

Well it seems that a lot of things burn when :au: and :lsu: play

The Barn burned during the game when LSU beat Auburn(not accusing any LSU fans but they do have a history of burning Augurn stuff...see below)

The Cigars burned when Tubberville's tigers got their first big SEC win

The Tiger Tail on the Auburn van burned when Auburn played LSU

What next?

Guest Tigrinum Major
Well it seems that a lot of things burn when  :au:   and  :lsu: play

The Barn burned during the game when LSU beat Auburn(not accusing any LSU fans but they do have a history of burning Augurn stuff...see below)

What next?

191026[/snapback]

Ronnie Prude burned by Aromashadu on the first play of the game Saturday night?

Well it seems that a lot of things burn when  :au:   and  :lsu: play

What next?

191026[/snapback]

191027[/snapback]

Luckily Laron Landry will be there to pick up his slack and pick it off!! :D

I maintain that the most important thing about that picture is that the stadium is friggin EMPTY.

What next?

191026[/snapback]

191027[/snapback]

191028[/snapback]

Yeah, pick it off and then promptly drop it for Auburn to recover... :roflol:

I maintain that the most important thing about that picture is that the stadium is friggin EMPTY.

191029[/snapback]

Lucky for me, I wasn't able to attend that game. I do remember watching it and it was NOT fun!!!

If I had been there you would probably be able to see me in the background preparing my nerf footballs. :lol::lol:

What next?

191026[/snapback]

191027[/snapback]

191028[/snapback]

191032[/snapback]

Wouldn't surprise me at all!!!!

What next?

191026[/snapback]

191027[/snapback]

191028[/snapback]

191032[/snapback]

LSU doesn't fumble the ball. We give the ball to the other team periodically to allow them to stay in the game, otherwise we would crush their spirits.

Sincerely

Baghdad Bob

baghdad_bob_18b_sm.jpg

The cigars thing was blown out of proportion. I am much more angry about the Tenn flag planting scene than smoking cigars in an empty stadium.

:corndog::lsu:

The whole cigar thing is an example of some (notice i said some not most) not being able to take what they dish out. They like to taunt and do dumb things when they have the numbers but don't like to be on the short end of the stick. Who does?

Teams have been smoking cigars to celebrate victories for years. When Bryant was coach at bama, smoking cigars after big wins was a standard practice but few people ever got their panties in a wad about it.

To me the cigar deal at BR was nothing to get upset about. Our players stomping the logo at midfield was something I didn't like. No need to do that.

Not that anyone cares, but hasn't it been a long standing tradition for the winner to smoke victory cigars in the UA/UT series?

Actually, Bama coaches and players haven't had much exposure to cigar smoke over the last 10 years, except maybe....second hand smoke. :big:

Not that anyone cares, but hasn't it been a long standing tradition for the winner to smoke victory cigars in the UA/UT series?

Actually, Bama coaches and players haven't had much exposure to cigar smoke over the last 10 years, except maybe....second hand smoke. :big:

191043[/snapback]

Excellent! :thumbsup::big: Bama has been smoked like a cheap cigar in this series! May that trend continue tomorrow.

I have a long running tradition of lighting up a fine Cuban cigar after significant :au: victories. On deck in the humidor for Saturday night is a Cohiba Siglo IV Corona Extra. Any other game (directional schools, Mississippi colleges, etc) rate a low end Cuban or even a Dominican afterwards.

191043[/snapback]

Yes it is a tradition for the winner to smoke cigars after that victory. Auburn has smoked cigars at Bryant-Denny after a victory, but you see no complaints out of them.

That picture is hilarious as it really proves that noone was there and that if it were not for the internet noone from LSU would even known it had happened.

Archived