Talkin Sports

Dlewis23

Did anyone see talkin sports last night. A caller (sounded like a younger kid) ask who they thought was the better quaterback was and the talking heads acted as if it was not even close. They said that no doubt its brodie croyle because he an NFL QB prospect :blink: . Say what?? Brodie was slinging the ball as soon as it was snapped Saturday to avoid some of the hits :lsu: was sending his way. If hes in the NFL and get hits one time by the likes of a Brian urlacher hell probaly get carted off. Or heck let them play :uga: and he get hit by Greg Blue(The hardest hitter I have seen on any level in a long time) and his feet won't be set for weeks.

I guess all I am trying to say is that while Brandon is young, he has proven he is more durable physically as well as psychologically than is Mr. Croyle. And to think he just a sophomore. :cheer:

Look at the SEASON stats. They tell the tale. Brandon is the qb of the NUMBER ONE OFFENSE in the SEC. :cheer:

That says it ALL. :au:

I realize these were quotes from Sunday when the loss was still hurting, and there's a lot of time before Saturday for things to change, but this does not sound like a QB with the sort of confidence Brodie once had:

...Croyle, a senior quarterback, said that beating Auburn would be nice, but added that "that damage is done" by the Tide likely losing its Southeastern Conference title hopes.

"Unfortunately, we're not feeling too good right now because of (Saturday's) loss," Shula said. "But I think our players feel better overall about our football team, where we've come from, what we've done this year. So, hopefully that will give us confidence going into this game."

"We know we're not going to be able to play for what we ultimately wanted to play for," Croyle said. "But we're still proud of what we did this year. And we're not through yet."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1131963711200851.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

Maybe it's just me, but he sounds more tentative than confident, particularly in the parts I've highlighted. And despite his last line, it also sounds a little like he's finished the season psychologically, IMO.

Brodie has shown moments of brilliance over the last 3-4 years and I give him his due, but I'll take Brandon Saturday...and for the next two years even if Brodie was available.

twice this year Brandon has lead us the length of the field late in the game for go ahead scores (unforunately LSU scored before time ran out) in major college hostile venues into the opposition's student section that included a key fourth down conversion. He is a sophmore.

I know Brodie has had some unforunate luck and Brandon has a better supporting cast, but it takes something special to accomplish what Brandon already has. We have two more years of him.

The future looks bright even when I take off my orange and blue shades B)

Brodie has had his moments, no doubt. He has set records upon records at :ua: even though he has been injured often. I truly think he was injured again against :ut: He hasnt thrown the ball well since the first half of that game. It makes you wonder though, is he that great or has :ua: just been such a rushing team that the qb play hasnt been that "statistically" great over the years?

Cox however:

1) Leads the :sec: best offense

2) Has already gotten the big come from behind win on the road. That 4-10 conversion was a Godsend to us and especially him. Really, you could not have scripted a better game at that point in his career. Wished it would have worked at :lsu: though.

3) Cox is only a Sophomore....Think about that. REALLY think about that. He has two more years as a starter. Irons is back next year. Davis, Lester, Stewart and Tre are back for at least 2-3 more. Prechae, Rodriguez Smith, Courtney Taylor, Tommy Trott, etc. Man, we could have some big years the next two....

From Stat Tiger

Rating        Player

163.56        Wuerffel UF

147.85        Campbell 01-04 AU

147.11        Manning UT

146.75        Grossman UF

142.86        B. Cox 04-07 AU

141.70        Couch UK

139.83        Clausen UT

139.13        Bobo UGA

138.89        Greene UGA

138.34        C.Leak UF

137.74        J. Russell LSU

137.66        E.Manning Ole

137.63        Mathews UF

137.09        Zeier UGA

137.09        Bell UF

136.82        Johnson UF

136.32        Hodson LSU

135.71        M. Mauck LSU

133.03        Nix 92-95 AU

132.73        Bert Jones LSU

132.25        Barker Ala

132.17        Burger 84-87

131.70        Slack 86-89

131.47        Sullivan 69-71

131.03        Leard 97-00

130.10        Taneyhill USC

129.65        Craig 94-97 AU

128.91        B.Croyle Ala

127.79        Carter UGA

125.97        Lorenzen UK

125.88        W.Peace UF

125.75        M.Jones ARK

124.68        J. Cutler VAN

124.08        Cobb 00-02

123.90        Stoerner ARK

123.70        S.Spurrier UF

122.95        R.Miller Ole Miss

122.89        Shula Ala

121.82        Hunter Ala

119.47        Taite MSU

118.91        Zow Ala

117.22        Madkin MSU

117.16        Lunney ARK

115.61        K.Page VAN

113.30        Zolman VAN

113.12        Austin OLE

113.00        Taylor VAN

110.51        White 90-93

110.50        Fant MSU

108.09        A.Manning Ole

These numbers also reflect the :ua: O-Line play that has been subpar, at least this year. But so does White's numbers. So take it with a grain of salt.

Brandon ranks 39th nationally (137.85) in pass efficiency, Brodie 44th (135.24).

Brodie has passed for 2117 yds, Brandon for 2069.

Brodie has a 60.1 COMP%, Brandon 58.7%.

Brodie has 13 TD's vs. 4 INT's, Brandon has 12 TD's vs. 7 INT's.

I would say Brandon has done well as a sophomore.

I can remember discussions on this board a few years ago bemoaning the fact that our young QB's didn't seem to develop well. I believe Borges has fixed that problem.

Brandon ranks 39th nationally (137.85) in pass efficiency, Brodie 44th (135.24).

Brodie has passed for 2117 yds, Brandon for 2069.

Brodie has a 60.1 COMP%, Brandon 58.7%.

Brodie has 13 TD's vs. 4 INT's, Brandon has 12 TD's vs. 7 INT's.

I would say Brandon has done well as a sophomore.

I can remember discussions on this board a few years ago bemoaning the fact that our young QB's didn't seem to develop well.  I believe Borges has fixed that problem.

198454[/snapback]

Wow, take away the 4 ints against :gt: for his initiation game and he is probably beating Brodie in most stats.

Brandon has only played in nine games (he was sick and missed the Western Kentucky game), so he is actually ahead of Brodie in yds/gm.

Brandon....229.9 yds/gm

Brodie.......211.7 yds/gm

3) Cox is only a Sophomore....Think about that. REALLY think about that. He has two more years as a starter. Irons is back next year. Davis, Lester, Stewart and Tre are back for at least 2-3 more. Prechae, Rodriguez Smith, Courtney Taylor, Tommy Trott, etc. Man, we could have some big years the next two....

198451[/snapback]

What about our o-line and what we lose there, though. I think a lot of the reason for success this season was that we have a very experienced o-line. Don't we lose like 3 starters and a couple of back ups?

We lose McNeil (OUCH :huh: ) and Reddick. We return, folks like Ben Grubbs, Joe Cope, Tim Duckworth, Jonathan Palmer, Leon Hart, King Dunlap....

Not to mention Cole Bennett at TE along with newcomers like Trott and Mckenzie.

There is definitely a good bit of experience coming back on the O-line. McNeil will hurt.

Brodie simply hasn't lived up to all the hype and expectations.......unless you are drinking crimson koolaid.

198425[/snapback]

NOT TRUE...why he's accomplished as much as other heralded Bamar saviors...like Tyler Watts, et al. :P

:au::homer:

Did anyone see talkin sports last night. A caller (sounded like a younger kid) ask who they thought was the better quaterback was and the talking heads acted as if it was not even close. They said that no doubt its brodie croyle because he an NFL QB prospect

Donnan didn't say it - uat :homer: Danny Sheridan did. It was something to the effect of the primary difference being that Croyle is an NFL prospect and Cox is not. Technically, that is correct - Croyle will be on the board for next year's draft, and Cox will not. In two years, hopefully with Borges's continual tutelage, I would expect Cox to be a hotter NFL prospect than Croyle is now.

In previous years, that CSS Sunday night show had Mike Gottfried on there, and he was decent (for a bammer) - this Paul Crane guy doesn't seem to do his show-prep homework and comes across as an idiot at times.

... Croyle will be on the board for next year's draft ...

198680[/snapback]

Do you really believe that? I think the guy is more fragile than a DDT-infused raptor egg high in a coastal pine tree with a global-warming caused hurricane bearing down. Don't get me wrong -- he does have some QB talent in an Arena football kinda way. I just don't see any NFL General Managers salivating over the idea of drafting a not-so-mobile QB prospect with a medical history that indicates he probably won't make it past the first couple of preseason games. If he gets drafted at all, it'll be in the final rounds. He may even get the undrafted free agent treatment.

... Croyle will be on the board for next year's draft ...

198680[/snapback]

Do you really believe that? I think the guy is more fragile than a DDT-infused raptor egg high in a coastal pine tree with a global-warming caused hurricane bearing down. Don't get me wrong -- he does have some QB talent in an Arena football kinda way. I just don't see any NFL General Managers salivating over the idea of drafting a not-so-mobile QB prospect with a medical history that indicates he probably won't make it past the first couple of preseason games. If he gets drafted at all, it'll be in the final rounds. He may even get the undrafted free agent treatment.

198688[/snapback]

Hey - I didn't say he would come off the board, just that he would be on it! (Along with a couple dozen other senior qb's)

Sheridan made what I felt was an intentionally misleading (albeit techincally correct) statement to a young Auburn fan who dared compare Auburn's first-year starter to uat's 3-time Heisman laureate.

In previous years, that CSS Sunday night show had Mike Gottfried on there, and he was decent (for a bammer) - this Paul Crane guy doesn't seem to do his show-prep homework and comes across as an idiot at times.

198680[/snapback]

Freebody, are you aware that Paul Crane played center at uat?

198680[/snapback]

Freebody, are you aware that Paul Crane played center at uat?

198706[/snapback]

He does look kinda skinny, but I didn't think he was tall enough to play basketball. (I figured you didn't mean football, since all ex-bammer football players learned everything from the bahr and are bona-fide pigskin experts, which this guy ain't!)

Obviously, if we're talking about the same guy, I do not know his background - i just figured he was some wannabe sportscaster from CSS - I remember seeing his unimpressive "expert" take on each team's CSS preseason shows back in August.

I predict that after this season Brodie will have to get a haircut and a job.  :D

198459[/snapback]

Wel, personally I see him playing back up to the likes of Bledsoe, Brady, or Brees for a while in the NFL.

Dont get me wrong about irons he is good but the thing that allowed you to move the ball on our d line was your experienced offensive line.

I would say that Brandon Cox has developed and looks good in part because he has had a good line to work behind.

LSU offensive line has done well on pass blocking but our run blocking has not been crisp all year.

Maybe that is due to Alley Broussard getting hurt or due to them just not opening holes.

Your QB has a lot of poise and i think he continues to develop.

Hopefully so does Jamarcus. He has a strong arm and alot of talent but does not pick up his receivers as well and relies on improvising a little too much.

But the future is bright for LSU , Auburn, Alabama and i think Arkansas.

Archived