SGA bans X-mas Tree

brankster

1) I understand perhaps putting this thread in the football forum initially because of the desire to get the breaking news out as quickly as possible, but shouldn't this now be moved to the "politically speaking" forum?  It's not at all about football...

who do you think the auburn football team is praying to when you see them out on the field? are they going to ban that next? oh yea.... MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To all you Auburn guys, I can only say, "AMEN!" :thumbsup:

Btw, congratulations on the Iron Bowl. You guys just flat kicked our cans.

Oh, yeah.....Merry Christmas. :)

This motion got defeated last night by the AU SGA 22-4

http://www.theplainsman.com/vnews/display....6/4395c1d4922ae

Even the Muslim Student group came out in opposition.

Seems like it may have just been a hand full of short-sighted kids who havn't yet grasped the true meaning of diversity.

We can all pray that they, and all the well-intensioned do-gooders like them, can see how offensive that would be to Christians everywhere.

Without any animosity intended, I find it ironic that we can celebrate the birthday of MLK without much controversy but have such a struggle honoring a day for Jesus Christ. :(

From reading the Plainsman article, one of the opposing senators stated something about representing 23k students. From what I can tell, more of them than not prefer it the way it was. I think those in opposition are the ones not reperesenting the 23k students.

What I really don't get is why they are so opposed to the term Christmas tree. Who in the world are they trying to impress.

I'm not clear on what that article is saying...it seems to me to say that they have been calling it a Holiday Tree and they voted to not change it to Christmas Tree. This all just pisses me off. Anybody want to help me out a little with an explanation here?

:nanner::au::nanner:

I dont think its too much of a big deal, and some of you shouldn't either. If you want to label it a christmas tree...go right ahead. Next time you see it, just say to yourself," Wow...what a nice Christmas tree." Labels are just labels aren't they? Only counts what you think of it in the ole noggin.

In a show of hands, who has actually seen or even know where the tree is located at all? Probably almost none of the people who are here bickering about it.

Matter of fact, there are probably more pressing matters to be discussed than a christmas tree being named a holiday tree.

:poke:

I dont think its too much of a big deal, and some of you shouldn't either.  If you want to label it a christmas tree...go right ahead.  Next time you see it, just say to yourself," Wow...what a nice Christmas tree."  Labels are just labels aren't they?  Only counts what you think of it in the ole noggin. 

In a show of hands, who has actually seen or even know where the tree is located at all?  Probably almost none of the people who are here bickering about it.

Matter of fact, there are probably more pressing matters to be discussed than a christmas tree being named a holiday tree.

203952[/snapback]

Some day you will come to realize that there are "little" things that are important enough to fight for. A lot of people thought the Boston Tea Party was a silly thing to do.

You are entitled to your opinion but don't try to priortize mine. :poke:

I dont think its too much of a big deal, and some of you shouldn't either.  If you want to label it a christmas tree...go right ahead.  Next time you see it, just say to yourself," Wow...what a nice Christmas tree."  Labels are just labels aren't they?  Only counts what you think of it in the ole noggin. 

In a show of hands, who has actually seen or even know where the tree is located at all?  Probably almost none of the people who are here bickering about it.

203952[/snapback]

Some day you will come to realize that there are "little" things that are important enough to fight for. A lot of people thought the Boston Tea Party was a silly thing to do.

203953[/snapback]

Not trying to priortize your opinion at all.

Also, comparing the Boston Tea Party to a naming of a Holiday Tree.....well, not much to be said there.

I agree with your statement that "little" things are important enough to fight for. We each have our own. Just simply stating that if you want it to be the christmas tree, then so be it....Next time, if you actually see the darn thing, tell yourself its a christmas tree.

203952[/snapback]

203953[/snapback]

Not trying to priortize your opinion at all.

Also, comparing the Boston Tea Party to a naming of a Holiday Tree.....well, not much to be said there.

I agree with your statement that "little" things are important enough to fight for. We each have our own. Just simply stating that if you want it to be the christmas tree, then so be it....Next time, if you actually see the darn thing, tell yourself its a christmas tree.

203959[/snapback]

I already know it's a Christmas Tree. It's the SGA that's in the dark :poke:

I'm not clear on what that article is saying...it seems to me to say that they have been calling it a Holiday Tree and they voted to not change it to Christmas Tree.  This all just pisses me off.  Anybody want to help me out a little with an explanation here?

:nanner:   :au:   :nanner:

203946[/snapback]

AUTrey, I agree the article is not very clear ... had to read it twice. I bleieve the end result is that the resolution to call the tree a Christmas tree passed as well it should. I am very proud of most of you guys and the good character quality I perceive you to have. Taking Christ out of Christmas, whether the tree or something else is certainly not trivial.

The "X" in Xmas does NOT take Christ out of Christmas. The "X" represents the Greek letter "chi", the first letter of the word "Christos". The early Christian church had among its members many Greeks that lived in Palestine. The early Christians often referred to Christ using "X".

Guest Tigrinum Major
I bleieve the end result is that the resolution to call the tree a Christmas tree passed as well it should.  I am very proud of most of you guys and the good character quality I perceive you to have.  Taking Christ out of Christmas, whether the tree or something else is certainly not trivial.

203966[/snapback]

No, the resolution to impose calling it a Christmas tree and NOT a Holiday Tree was defeated.

Succintly, this is what has transpired:

About three to four years ago, the tree was changed to a Holiday Tree. When it was erected this year, one of the SGA Senators noticed this and said (paraphrased), "This is ridiculous. That is a Christmas tree" and wrote up a resolution to take off the name Holiday Tree and put back Christmas Tree. This resolution was defeated 22-4 last night during the SGA meeting.

Don't celebrate yet. The SGA Senate is saying that it will still be officially known as a Holiday Tree.

Trivial? Perhaps. But these small things have a tendency to turn into big things down the road.

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph if for good men to do nothing.

The "X" in Xmas does NOT take Christ out of Christmas. The "X" represents the Greek letter "chi", the first letter of the word "Christos". The early Christian church had among its members many Greeks that lived in Palestine. The early Christians often referred to Christ using "X".

203966[/snapback]

THANK YOU..... thanks for those interesting facts! personally i did not think i did anything wrong by putting an "X" for Christ... WAR EAGLE and MERRY X-MAS!

After a 3rd reading I believe I misread the Senate article. What a sickening feeling it is having the place you love so much populated with such imbecils in the Senate. I don't know when I have had something related to AU irritate me so much.

Well as an AU student I'd just like to say that for once the SGA dealt with an issue I actually cared about, and of course they voted down what I was in favor of, having the tree named a Christmas tree. Now I'm all for not hurting people's feelings, but lets be honest, what holiday is a tree for?? I've heard of Easter trees and Christmas trees, but no other trees....maybe arbor day....anyways, my point is that if there is another tree that is used around this time of year I've yet to see it. Another thing that bothers me is the fact that stores are not acknowledging that it is Christmas....that's fine and dandy, but what holiday are people shopping for?? I believe that would be Christmas, and thus these people are profiting from the celebration of Christ's birth, yet they refuse to acknowledge it, and are still fine to get the money from it.

And as for the SGA (I call it the Stupid Government Association) it's mainly a bunch of kids trying to build their resume...I honestly can't think of the last big thing the SGA did to help students, and I am sure I'm not the only one. Having said that I signed the petition that was passed around and hoped that the thing would pass, but it didn't. I'm so tired of people calling for diversity....because really at its core diversity is contradictory because if i'm not for diversity you don't tolerate that, but I have to tolerate everyone else......oh well, Merry Christmas to you all, and if anyone else has problems with it.....well sorry and I hope you have a happy holiday whatver it is.

Guest Tigrinum Major

After no action for the better part of 24 hours, I was finally spurred to do something and wrote a short email to the SGA concerning this matter. Here is a copy:

All:

As a alumnus and contributor to Auburn University, I have followed with much interest the recent issue concerning the Christmas Tree that is displayed on Auburn campus during this Christmas season. 

I realize that you have probably received many emails concerning this issue, most with long narratives on the issue at hand, so I will sum my view up in one short paragraph:

By bowing to the political correctness that we must try not to offend anyone, the people responsible for calling this tree a Holiday Tree have offended a majority of Christian students, alumni, and residents of the state of Alabama.  I would hazard a guess that probably a minimum of 85% of those groups claim to be Christians.  By attempting to avoid offending a minority , you have instead offended a majority. 

There will always be people and groups who oppose any action or non-action by a governmental entity.  To bow to a vocal minority, you instead alienate a vast majority that will stay silent the majority of the time.  As part of that majority, I choose to no longer remain silent.  This attempt at political correctness and separation of church and state has instead, become offensive to even more people and has seen a government impose their will on a certain religious group, the very thing that the establishment clause was originally drafted to protect us from, that is, a government that seeks to establish or restrict a religious group.

Thank you for allowing me to express my views on this issue.

Thanks, vatz, for getting me fired up enough to tap out an opinion on this.

I bleieve the end result is that the resolution to call the tree a Christmas tree passed as well it should.  I am very proud of most of you guys and the good character quality I perceive you to have.  Taking Christ out of Christmas, whether the tree or something else is certainly not trivial.

203966[/snapback]

No, the resolution to impose calling it a Christmas tree and NOT a Holiday Tree was defeated.

Succintly, this is what has transpired:

About three to four years ago, the tree was changed to a Holiday Tree. When it was erected this year, one of the SGA Senators noticed this and said (paraphrased), "This is ridiculous. That is a Christmas tree" and wrote up a resolution to take off the name Holiday Tree and put back Christmas Tree. This resolution was defeated 22-4 last night during the SGA meeting.

Don't celebrate yet. The SGA Senate is saying that it will still be officially known as a Holiday Tree.

Trivial? Perhaps. But these small things have a tendency to turn into big things down the road.

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph if for good men to do nothing.

203971[/snapback]

Just to be clear, then: It has been called "Holiday" not "Christmas" since 2000 and last night's resolution in favor of "Christmas" but was defeated leaving it "Holiday". Is that correct?

And if that was last night, then what happened before last night? This was first reported a day or two ago, so was that earlier report simply taking notice the action of 2000-or an SGA action last week? Also, the article mentioned a petition circulated at the Lighting--how did the petition read and how many signatures did it get?

[...still not sure why this is on the football forum instead of the "politically speaking" forum, but if everyone wants to keep it here I have no real objection.]

Amen, TM well said. I too sent out an email to the Board of Trustees and Gov Riley last night. It would please me to know that others with similar views would also send their opinions in to this group.

After no action for the better part of 24 hours, I was finally spurred to do something and wrote a short email to the SGA concerning this matter.  Here is a copy:
All:

As a alumnus and contributor to Auburn University, I have followed with much interest the recent issue concerning the Christmas Tree that is displayed on Auburn campus during this Christmas season. 

I realize that you have probably received many emails concerning this issue, most with long narratives on the issue at hand, so I will sum my view up in one short paragraph:

By bowing to the political correctness that we must try not to offend anyone, the people responsible for calling this tree a Holiday Tree have offended a majority of Christian students, alumni, and residents of the state of Alabama.  I would hazard a guess that probably a minimum of 85% of those groups claim to be Christians.  By attempting to avoid offending a minority , you have instead offended a majority. 

There will always be people and groups who oppose any action or non-action by a governmental entity.  To bow to a vocal minority, you instead alienate a vast majority that will stay silent the majority of the time.  As part of that majority, I choose to no longer remain silent.  This attempt at political correctness and separation of church and state has instead, become offensive to even more people and has seen a government impose their will on a certain religious group, the very thing that the establishment clause was originally drafted to protect us from, that is, a government that seeks to establish or restrict a religious group.

Thank you for allowing me to express my views on this issue.

Thanks, vatz, for getting me fired up enough to tap out an opinion on this.

203985[/snapback]

No prob, my opinion wasnt harsh...just upfront. There are alot of religious people on this board and that is to be respected.

Whether disagreeing or agreeing, I wouldn't say its a measure of character, its just a matter of opinion. Character isn't measured just in being a christian or not. I myself have different views on the subject because my dad is jewish...while my mom is catholic (ya what mix aint it?).

Guest Tigrinum Major

I was not offended by your remarks, they made me think, which was good.

I have no idea or preconceptions about your views or character. I know we disagree on many things and I can live with that. Sometimes it takes someone making an opposing view or a comment that spurs a thought in order for me to actually do something.

Diversity is what makes us great. But by attempting to pigeon hole everyone into a general category in the name of that diversity (was that a paradox or what?), we lose said diversity.

But by attempting to pigeon hole everyone into a general category in the name of that diversity (was that a paradox or what?), we lose said diversity.

203991[/snapback]

I agree totally. Diversity is a good and bad thing....no one knows what to do with it.

Just got this email:

December 6, 2005

CAMPUS CONNECTION EXTRA

LETTER FROM SGA PRESIDENT JOHN TATUM

Dear fellow students,

In 2000, Auburn University’s Student Government Association (SGA) began an official Holiday Tree Lighting tradition. Recently, false information spread that the Auburn University Student Government Association changed the name of this celebration from a Christmas Tree Lighting to a Holiday Tree Lighting and banned a Christmas tree on campus.

No such banning or name change has occurred since this tradition began. Furthermore, it is important to stress that Auburn originally chose to call its celebration a Holiday Tree Lighting not to deny the beliefs of anyone, but, instead, to be inclusive of all of its more than 23,000 students and their traditions and beliefs.

Now, because the facts of Auburn’s celebration have been misrepresented to certain well-intended individuals and organizations, Auburn finds itself in a controversy it did not seek. Fortunately, this controversy has caused Auburn's student leaders to begin to thoughtfully examine the annual celebration in hopes that it can continue in a way that is agreeable to all. This year's lighting has already taken place, so there is time for an examination that is not hasty, but is deliberate and intent on a lasting solution.

I can assure the Auburn family and others who have expressed their concern that this examination has begun. I believe student leadership at Auburn is intent on finding a way to hold a celebration and to call a Christmas tree what it is - a Christmas tree - but, at the same time embrace other faiths and belief systems.

I ask for patience in allowing the SGA to do its work. I believe that, when our work is complete, everyone will be pleased.

Sincerely,

John Tatum

SGA President

Auburn University

Hate to break it to the SGA, but the word "Holiday" comes from the words "HOLY DAY"... they haven't helped themselves...

Freaking Pinkos. They need to go to bammer.

Archived